\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Just picked the Braptor back up from the detailer. So shiny, now to get some tint on the front
736DC2B0-2CF5-47D8-A4F3-38E04AF7F3DA.jpeg
3A246946-CE1D-4F6C-934C-7DE386BD2EB7.jpeg
24BDDEBD-F1A1-42EB-9B95-5CF58986E1EA.jpeg
62E80EB7-8DF1-4B2D-B0AC-1D6EA06F3F55.jpeg
53E9C3BF-8088-47DB-A7CB-4EC645E0F2E4.jpeg
Man that thing better be covered in mud by now …. I remember the day I bought mine I was out in the mud trying to jump it within the hour lol. Congrats man it looks nice.

Well when you look at that last generation, it was really easy because just about anything would look better.
I saw it yesterday on Twitter and was like, honestly not bad (our beater is a 2012 Prius which my wife bought initially given she was logging like 18-20k miles a year) - the read badging has to go IMO. Though my wife would dig the style and sure enough later on she texts with a link saying honestly it doesn't look bad :lol:

This is obviously a rally car so I get why it’s called a Dakar but do you know why the E36 M3 in Dakar yellow was called Dakar?
Don't take this a gospel as I fall asleep during marketing meetings-but I believe BMW named colors after racetracks/famous races, well because 'M' = motorsport or something to that effect.

This is obviously a rally car so I get why it’s called a Dakar but do you know why the E36 M3 in Dakar yellow was called Dakar?

It's not a rally car. It's a lifted Porsche with greater ground clearance and taller tires. Would be the perfect daily driver. So cool that Porsche & Lamborghini are both making off-road type street cars.

the new prius is funny
they just didn't make it super ugly and make it look generic and its a winner
who knew it would be so easy :lol:
2018-Prius-Blizzard-Pearl.jpg
2023-Toyota-Prius-side-profile.jpg

Not to point out your post per se, but its interesting because I see Toyota showing off in a good way:

That sharp line that goes from the bottom sill and fades out is a really, really difficult stamping/pressing to get down consistently.

The sloping windshield emphasizes a 'wedge' shape and a very nice transition from the top of the windshield to the plunging rear roofline-all the while moving the 'touchdown area' (base of windshield to top of hood transition) backwards a few mm-with a power bulge in the hood that disappears and draws your eye towards the side glass/mirror mount from this view . Very elegant.

Both the tail light and headlight design mimic the Ferrari Puorsangue-very impressive again for this price point. The rear hunches work to break up the wedge and 'ground' the rear.

This has very much Prius DNA but moves the story forward significantly. Impressive.

Last edited:
2018-Prius-Blizzard-Pearl.jpg
2023-Toyota-Prius-side-profile.jpg

Not to point out your post per se, but its interesting because I see Toyota showing off in a good way:

That sharp line that goes from the bottom sill and fades out is a really, really difficult stamping/pressing to get down consistently.

The sloping windshield emphasizes a 'wedge' shape and a very nice transition from the top of the windshield to the plunging neckline-all the while moving the 'touchdown area' (base of windshield to top of hood transition) backwards a few mm-with a power bulge in the hood that disappears and draws your eye towards the side glass from this view . Very elegant.

Both the tail light and headlight design mimic the Ferrari Puorsangue-very impressive again for this price point. The rear hunches work to break up the wedge and 'ground' the rear.

This has very much Prius DNA but moves the story forward significantly. Impressive.

yeah i agree with you, it can only take slight adjustments to make an ugly look much better
its just funny from my perspective as a not car designer the last gen prius just looked kinda wacky, (mostly judging from headlight design not shape of car) yet this one looks miles better but to me gives generic car vibes like something i'll see in a video game

either way toyota winning

It's not a rally car. It's a lifted Porsche with greater ground clearance and taller tires. Would be the perfect daily driver. So cool that Porsche & Lamborghini are both making off-road type street cars.
Eh, to be fair, Porsche spent a LOT of time talking about the heavy duty skid plates and the departure angles in the presentation (shorter overhangs), and mentioned 'rally about 45 times or so-the lines have been blurred quite bit here.

5E4FF3A8-4CB7-4CED-9911-3207234AD5FF.jpeg

And this thing is still frigging cool!

59B64092-0C06-4E96-B289-193DA3E95C85.jpeg

D3492E17-4E39-41E0-BF32-CD4AD3165A82.jpeg

Eh, to be fair, Porsche spent a LOT of time talking about the heavy duty skid plates and the departure angles in the presentation (shorter overhangs), and mentioned 'rally about 45 times or so-the lines have been blurred quite bit here.

5E4FF3A8-4CB7-4CED-9911-3207234AD5FF.jpeg

And this thing is still frigging cool!

59B64092-0C06-4E96-B289-193DA3E95C85.jpeg

D3492E17-4E39-41E0-BF32-CD4AD3165A82.jpeg

I'm sure they did. The whole approach/departure angles are a key factor to show how easier it would be living with it day to day vs needing to use the front lift on a standard 911 C4S. And with the heritage paint job mimicking the old Rothmans 959 P2D Rally car (I grew up wanting the Tamiya R/C 959 Paris-Dakar kit), that's the color to get. Such a bold move. And we'll be lucky to see a few. 2,500 world wide, probably about 1,000 in the US or a little more. Most will be locked way I'm sure, which is sad and TOTALLY defeats the purpose of this car.

Hyundai NEEDS to make that. Perfect halo car for their N performance brand.

58AB48DE-5F52-4429-917B-8EF2B6603535.jpeg

619E21D5-E242-441C-AF41-57E4998F4FC7.jpeg

B874D5EE-2ADF-4595-A28C-E8109301A842.jpeg

AA6DDC5D-EFA8-4989-9A8C-4B138B4CD210.jpeg

659455C9-AC1B-4CE6-8A05-A94592C135B4.jpeg

E640BBF9-D593-4B27-A7FD-429ECF9EC607.jpeg

20046CD4-ACC0-403C-8120-268D433C42C4.jpeg

Next generation Prius.

I know it’s predecessors received a lot of criticism (rightfully) but this is really a step forward-a lot of the surfacing works in person-even though I need to see this in natural sunlight on the roads.

A big congratulations to the CATY team. Well done considering the circumstances.

Apparently it was designed in Japan

"The piercing silhouette came from the design studios in Japan, and the front bears the same hammerhead nose as the Toyota Crown and Toyota bZ4X."

Apparently it was designed in Japan

"The piercing silhouette came from the design studios in Japan, and the front bears the same hammerhead nose as the Toyota Crown and Toyota bZ4X."

This was joint-most projects are-but politically these announcements are important even though automotive companies are ‘multi national’. California was tasked with moving the brand language forward. Awesome work by all teams!

It’s crazy to think this is a Prius. I saw sketches and thought it was a joke. It’s been pretty beloved which has shocking to see. Even Ralph Gilles gave it props on Instagram!
It’s known within the design community that a small sedan has some of the highest degree of execution difficulty. You are dealing with the usual packaging requirements, ingress/egress, cargo, crash offset front and rear cradles etc. but everything is truncated-especially the budget (‘Can we move the roofline down just 1mm?’ ‘ Hell no!’)

Sports car? Easy. Stretch everything out and you can have an elegant roofline, long hood etc. but designing small sedans are my least favorite thing. As I mentioned, VW Group will prioritize designers who’ve worked on Jetta, Polo and Golf projects for Lamborghini/Audi sport car programs.

The worst studio to be in IMHO would be seating design. It’s a grind 🤮 I’d rather sketch small cars all day over that particular component.

It’s known within the design community that a small sedan has some of the highest degree of execution difficulty. You are dealing with the usual packaging requirements, ingress/egress, cargo, crash offset front and rear cradles etc. but everything is truncated-especially the budget (‘Can we move the roofline down just 1mm?’ ‘ Hell no!’)

Sports car? Easy. Stretch everything out and you can have an elegant roofline, long hood etc. but designing small sedans are my least favorite thing. As I mentioned, VW Group will prioritize designers who’ve worked on Jetta, Polo and Golf projects for Lamborghini/Audi sport car programs.

The worst studio to be in IMHO would be seating design. It’s a grind 🤮 I’d rather sketch small cars all day over that particular component.

Well said

Back
Top Bottom