Post Something You Know That We Don't Because Of Your Job

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Adding on as a mechanic at a Honda dealership...-Labor rate is $110/hr, usually mechanics only see 10%-15% of this and the rest goes into the dealership's pocket. Ask us to work on your car on the side and we will do it for 50% off whatever the dealer is asking.-Tipping is not necessary.-Never try to rush our work, something will get smoked and I'm not able to do my job as I'd like.-If your car looks to be in good condition I'll take extra care of the car.-I don't mind you watching me work on your car or answering questions you may have.-When I finish your oil change in 10 minutes it's because I'm not lazy and knocked it out so you can be on your way.-Please do your timing belts I don't like seeing motors blow up because your belt snapped.-Stay away from those Jiffy Lube, Mobil, Meineke places. 9/10, when I'm working on your car I can see something they screwed up.-If you don't like squeaking brake pads don't put that cheap Auto Zone, Pep Boys crap and buy OEM.

Are you flat rate or hourly? How long have you been a mechanic?

I'm a flat rate technician and I've been working at this dealership for 3 years.  You might know it, Rick Case Honda I-75 and Griffin Rd.  It's a pretty big dealership, we have an Express Service area with about 30 person staff, Main Shop/Warranty Area 30 person staff, Full Body shop 40 person staff, Court of Clerks (You can get married at our dealership lol), Barber Shop, Cafe,   Detail Area, New/Used car sales, Car Rental (Hertz), on site Geico, Gas Station

Here's a pic of the entire dealership The big building in the rear is the parking garage, body shop, Luxe Collection, and Express Service.
pic_rick_case_honda.jpg

I know that area well
laugh.gif
eek.gif
WHOA. I've been there. That's off weston road. My Uncle Danny used to work there. Daniel Mendez.

Saved a couple bucks thanks to this post. Thank you NTer's that work at Macy's.

Went in over the weekend to pickup a couple pairs of slacks. Was very friendly and polite to the dude at the register ringing me up. I asked very nicely if he had any coupons that he could apply for me. He opens the drawer and pulls out a $10 off coupon and scanned it in. Off I go with an extra $10 in my pocket.

didnt someone post in this thread about the color of spray paint on your lawn meaning something? i cant find it ...

Just remembered something from my UPS days
If it falls out a box, it's damn near open season unless it's worth over 5k
Fragile and Glass dont mean crap
Dont ever piss off your UPS guy and hook him up around christmas. He'll look out for you

Working at my college
-complain up. If someone denies you, go higher up the food chain. Seen the Dean of students revoke so much things. lol

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

didnt someone post in this thread about the color of spray paint on your lawn meaning something? i cant find it ...
its on page 1 bro and lets keep this thread going 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by the coolness

Adding on as a mechanic at a Honda dealership...-Labor rate is $110/hr, usually mechanics only see 10%-15% of this and the rest goes into the dealership's pocket. Ask us to work on your car on the side and we will do it for 50% off whatever the dealer is asking.-Tipping is not necessary.-Never try to rush our work, something will get smoked and I'm not able to do my job as I'd like.-If your car looks to be in good condition I'll take extra care of the car.-I don't mind you watching me work on your car or answering questions you may have.-When I finish your oil change in 10 minutes it's because I'm not lazy and knocked it out so you can be on your way.-Please do your timing belts I don't like seeing motors blow up because your belt snapped.-Stay away from those Jiffy Lube, Mobil, Meineke places. 9/10, when I'm working on your car I can see something they screwed up.-If you don't like squeaking brake pads don't put that cheap Auto Zone, Pep Boys crap and buy OEM.

I'm a flat rate technician and I've been working at this dealership for 3 years.  You might know it, Rick Case Honda I-75 and Griffin Rd.  It's a pretty big dealership, we have an Express Service area with about 30 person staff, Main Shop/Warranty Area 30 person staff, Full Body shop 40 person staff, Court of Clerks (You can get married at our dealership lol), Barber Shop, Cafe,   Detail Area, New/Used car sales, Car Rental (Hertz), on site Geico, Gas Station

Here's a pic of the entire dealership The big building in the rear is the parking garage, body shop, Luxe Collection, and Express Service.
pic_rick_case_honda.jpg

I know that area well
laugh.gif
eek.gif
WHOA. I've been there. That's off weston road. My Uncle Danny used to work there. Daniel Mendez.
Damn mad NTers around me and I didn't even know...
nerd.gif

i work for SSA:

we are a federal program that is split into two parts. one is social security disability and retirement insurance and the other is ssi. social security disability retirement and disability is an insurance program that you pay into when you work and you pay your FICA tax. benefits include children and wife benefits depending on the situation. ssi is a federal welfare based program for people who are found to be medically disabled, under the age of 65, and have low income and resource. if you're over the age of 65 you just have to be a citizen, or here before 09/96 as a prem res, and have low income and resource. depending on the state you live in you get extra help from the state, otherwise you're stuck with what the feds give you.

word to the wise, don't listen to your friends of people you know that have social security. each and everyone is different. our website can answer your questions if you are patient and you can file for many benefits online too.

From my college days working wholesale for a large e-retailer;

- Sony and Canon dealerships are the toughest to get. Do not try to *!!$ with Sony, especially dealing in Gray market goods. They will come pretty close to cutting your balls off no matter how big you are.
laugh.gif

- The major manufacturers know that many vendors do things with their goods that they aren't supposed to. The unwritten rule is to not allow them to connect the dots and they'll look the other way. 
- Ebay would be a shell of itself if it were not for the Gray Market and closeout merch world.
- Buying up Chinese factories not for the real estate but the for the goods still in the warehouse is a big business. You sell the goods as closeout deals and then sell the factory/warehouse.
- It's all about connections in the retail world for the non BB's, Amazon's, etc. One good closeout deal can make your entire year. One good connection can keep you in business year after year.
- Certain Canon sales account executives literally work only 2 days a week and pull in over 6 figures easily.
laugh.gif

- Accountants payable always fight with the vendor's accounts receivable and vice versa. With such large sums of money changing hands you'd think it'd be more clear cut.
- Americans love buying POS made in China. No matter how POS it is. Some of the most POS items are the hottest selling.  You realize many Americans do not know how to determine value.
- For it's size UPS is surprisingly efficient. In all honesty you kinda have to "%*%?!" regarding how efficient they are. [I realize those working for UPS may believe that they're not so efficient but trust me, they are].
- Olympus and Pentax are overlooked. Non DSLR Nikon's are POS. Accounting for the total (quality, craftsmanship,features, etc)    product Canon is the best in the point and shoot and DSLR world. Sony camcorders are top notch; point and shoot's and DSLR's are 'so so' for their respective prices.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

Retail (Sears, Target, etc.)
I heard a good way to get cheap electronics from Sears, is to buy it, return it, then have a friend buy "the opened box"
heard they give you like 30% off at this point
do they still do this?
obviously works best if you have an employee holding the items for you.
???

sorry i dont get on as much as i used to, but as far as this scheme goes im not sure cuz i didn't work in the electronic department. I'll find out tho.

I worked at Nordstrom:

1. Even if you brought it YEARS ago, decades even, we'll most likely return it for you. Heck, you can even get cold hard cash for it.
2. Any clothing item you buy worth more than $25, you can get complimentary hemming on. If the alteration is not complimentary, do it elsewhere. We charge an arm and a leg.
3. Any giftcard you use with a remaining balance of less than $10, we can cash out for you.
4. When all else fails, ask to speak to a manager. We're so concerned with preserving our excellent reputation that we let customers get away with anything.
7. Don't try to steal, because undercover Loss Prevention agents ARE watching you.
8. If we don't have it in our store, make us call around for it. We have to. It's our job.

Originally Posted by Orangatrang

I worked at Nordstrom:

1. Even if you brought it YEARS ago, decades even, we'll most likely return it for you. Heck, you can even get cold hard cash for it.
2. Any clothing item you buy worth more than $25, you can get complimentary hemming on. If the alteration is not complimentary, do it elsewhere. We charge an arm and a leg.
3. Any giftcard you use with a remaining balance of less than $10, we can cash out for you.
4. When all else fails, ask to speak to a manager. We're so concerned with preserving our excellent reputation that we let customers get away with anything.
7. Don't try to steal, because undercover Loss Prevention agents ARE watching you.
8. If we don't have it in our store, make us call around for it. We have to. It's our job
So true. I got violated when i had a suit tailored there.

Originally Posted by IM A HELION

Animal Hospital:

- If you have a poorly trained pet, I will treat it like #*!% most of the time. (last to get bathed, walked, fed)
- If you have a well trained pet, I take extra care of it (extra food and stuff...hell, I might let it walk around the kennel and play with it
laugh.gif
)
- Don't leave beds or blankets with your pet...it WILL get lost. I was thousands of blankets a day...I have no time to keep track of yours.
- You may think I take extra care of your dead pet...in reality, after we kill it (put it to sleep), I sling it into a black garbage back and throw it into a freezer until the cremation guy comes and picks it up. I've actually broken a couple pets' bones on accident when removing them from the freezer.
- I even slap/punch especially nippy dogs. Yes, I may have punched your precious Chihuahua or Pomeranian.
- There have been times when I've trained a few dogs to do tricks in my spare time on the job. Only for the nice ones, though.
- If your dog is overly aggressive and you leave him/her/it at the hospital and it attacks one of us...you might as well kiss it goodbye. We're killing it.
eek.gif

indifferent.gif

i don't even know what to say to this.....just know that i wish you many unfortunate and extremely painful accidents for the rest of your life.
smh.gif

You guys are the biggest crybabies on the internet.
laugh.gif

Y'all mad at me like I punch dogs for fun or I hunt them. I bet money y'all the same people that supported Mice Vick when he got caught up. I think y'all should go outside and realize that planet Earth is bigger than a person who used to work at an animal hospital.

And the killer part? Y'all don't even know me.
roll.gif

Dudes actually wished bad things to happen in my life because I hit a couple dogs.  Are you guys a part of PETA?  Vegans, perhaps?  This is priceless
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Here, I'll help you out. 

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

great topic, since over 30 pages, I am sure most of what I am going to post already has been posted...but here is what I have.

Old Job - Customer Service for a Cell phone carrier.

-If your phone is jacked, and its been over 30 days, its on the manufactor to replace/repair/etc. We only provided the cell phone service. (atleast thats the rebuddle, for when they say, "but you sold me the phone")

-If you call in and are pissed, I would of gave u one speech. "look I know you are mad, but if you cuss or raise your voice one more time, Ima be a strict CS rep.. (most the time its the customers fault, because they didnt read the contract or was too busy playing with their new phone, instead of listening to the sales person). However, if you just are cool with me, and tell me what happened, I will hook u up.. usually with some goodwill mins, and free service of some sort...

-Yes, I can give more than a $25 credit, but if you are a prick, u wont even get that

- If you call in and want to talk about 300 things, I couldnt care less because I didnt have a talk time quota.

-If you were a douche, and ask to speak with a sup, I will call the sup ahead of time, and tell them what I said and what I told the cust, and the sup/mananger will back me up 100% (this does not apply to all reps, only the ones that know what the heck u are talking about)

-4/10 times if you call in and get a weird answer, its probable wrong. Call back and hope to get a rep that knows wth they are talking about. (the crap I heard from other reps made me laugh on a regular baisis, until I was promote to train the reps, then it made me want to hit ppl over the head with a keyboard)

-When I was working it cost appr .02 for the cell phone providers per each minute of airtime, most the time you were being billed .12/.15 based on ur calling plan, and if it was overage, you were getting abused.

-When you call in for trouble shooting on your phone, dont call in on your cell phone, if you do, we will have you call back and wait on hold another 15 mins, because we wont call u back on a diff phone. sure we can, but we wont... why go thru the trouble? Also if you call in on ur phone, and I am giving you step by step directions so u can "write them down" then the call hangs up right after I tell you to power off ur phone, you are too dumb to even be allowed to own a phone.
New Job-

-Sales is where its at, and thankfully I will be there at the 1st of the year. My Current company actually cares about its customers, however, some CS reps get in the door and give our company a bad name.. those ppl dont last long.

-I was top performer for 2009, and got a paid trip to Boston, and each person I met (the big wigs of the company) seem to be pretty cool...most took the time to sit and chat, and get to know all of us.  (Cool story, by the way
happy.gif
)

-I dont know much more about the company, since the job I currently do is pretty easy, but I will say, the company I work for seem to really care about ppl, and their employees... 

last thing

-The company I work for, allowed Death Benefits to be paid right after 9/11 without a cetified Death cert (as long as one was recv in the few months afterwords) to help with the already terrible ordeal. *this was before I worked there* I dont know all the details, since I dont work in the Death Claims dept, but a rep told me about that when I was new to the company, and I also thing something was done after Hurricane Katrina..

Originally Posted by ElCubanoDel510

Originally Posted by the coolness

pic_rick_case_honda.jpg

I know that area well
laugh.gif
eek.gif
Damn mad NTers around me and I didn't even know...
nerd.gif
YO 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by 91mph Style

Here, I'll help you out. 

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

great topic, since over 30 pages, I am sure most of what I am going to post already has been posted...but here is what I have.

Old Job - Customer Service for a Cell phone carrier.

-If your phone is jacked, and its been over 30 days, its on the manufactor to replace/repair/etc. We only provided the cell phone service. (atleast thats the rebuddle, for when they say, "but you sold me the phone")

-If you call in and are pissed, I would of gave u one speech. "look I know you are mad, but if you cuss or raise your voice one more time, Ima be a strict CS rep.. (most the time its the customers fault, because they didnt read the contract or was too busy playing with their new phone, instead of listening to the sales person). However, if you just are cool with me, and tell me what happened, I will hook u up.. usually with some goodwill mins, and free service of some sort...

-Yes, I can give more than a $25 credit, but if you are a prick, u wont even get that

- If you call in and want to talk about 300 things, I couldnt care less because I didnt have a talk time quota.

-If you were a douche, and ask to speak with a sup, I will call the sup ahead of time, and tell them what I said and what I told the cust, and the sup/mananger will back me up 100% (this does not apply to all reps, only the ones that know what the heck u are talking about)

-4/10 times if you call in and get a weird answer, its probable wrong. Call back and hope to get a rep that knows wth they are talking about. (the crap I heard from other reps made me laugh on a regular baisis, until I was promote to train the reps, then it made me want to hit ppl over the head with a keyboard)

-When I was working it cost appr .02 for the cell phone providers per each minute of airtime, most the time you were being billed .12/.15 based on ur calling plan, and if it was overage, you were getting abused.

-When you call in for trouble shooting on your phone, dont call in on your cell phone, if you do, we will have you call back and wait on hold another 15 mins, because we wont call u back on a diff phone. sure we can, but we wont... why go thru the trouble? Also if you call in on ur phone, and I am giving you step by step directions so u can "write them down" then the call hangs up right after I tell you to power off ur phone, you are too dumb to even be allowed to own a phone.
New Job-

-Sales is where its at, and thankfully I will be there at the 1st of the year. My Current company actually cares about its customers, however, some CS reps get in the door and give our company a bad name.. those ppl dont last long.

-I was top performer for 2009, and got a paid trip to Boston, and each person I met (the big wigs of the company) seem to be pretty cool...most took the time to sit and chat, and get to know all of us.  (Cool story, by the way
happy.gif
)

-I dont know much more about the company, since the job I currently do is pretty easy, but I will say, the company I work for seem to really care about ppl, and their employees... 

last thing

-The company I work for, allowed Death Benefits to be paid right after 9/11 without a cetified Death cert (as long as one was recv in the few months afterwords) to help with the already terrible ordeal. *this was before I worked there* I dont know all the details, since I dont work in the Death Claims dept, but a rep told me about that when I was new to the company, and I also thing something was done after Hurricane Katrina..

yea that was helpful 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Accounting for the total (quality, craftsmanship,features, etc)    product Canon is the best in the point and shoot and DSLR world. Sony camcorders are top notch; point and shoot's and DSLR's are 'so so' for their respective prices.
Yeah I love Canon quality. And yeah, eBay sucks.

Working at a hotel. (Hilton)

Be extremely nice to whoever is at the Front Desk. Although, I will say....you will run into douchbags who work at the FD. Just a part of life. But if you ever need anything and happen to have a somewhat decent person working up front, your courtesy will go along way in terms of them making things happen for you.

We control the rates. We say we can't 'override' them. Yes we can. We have the ability to comp rooms, too. (although that RARELY ever happens without the consent of a superior)

If you're ever travelling and need to go to a restroom, stop at a decent looking hotel. Never stop at a rest stop or a Circle K. You're just looking for an unpleasant experience. Clean and welcoming bathrooms are a must in the hotel industry.

And to you dudes who wanna 'trick' in front of your girl....make sure you have sufficient funds on your card. Nothing's more embarrassing than seeing these dudes try to stunt and have to tell them their card got denied in front of wifey.

Also, use a CC at hotels versus a Debit card. I'll use an example why....

Rate for a room is 149 + tax. The total comes out to...let's say. $161.xx ...well at check-in, we preauthorize more than that amount for incidental reasons...so we'll preauthorize 180-190.

With CC's, that additional 19-29 dollar hold comes off in 24-48 hours.

With Debit cards, that hold can take up to a week to get released back to you.

Which can be a pain in the *^& for you if you have funds tied up. And then you guys wanna blame it on us. Take it up to your bank.

Oh and American Express Centurion Cards (Black Cards) are a pain in the %#% for card readers. but those things demand respect.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Orangatrang

I worked at Nordstrom:

8. If we don't have it in our store, make us call around for it. We have to. It's our job.
Yep.  My Ex bought a dress there, wore it twice, and returned it 2 years later with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom