Pac-12?????

I've heard a lot of talk about this in recent years and think it would be a sick idea. Have two divisions like the SEC and Big 12 and have a conferencechampionship.
pimp.gif

I'm thinking it would be BYU for sure and maybe UNLV? I guess Hawaii is a possibility

Pac 12 North
Cal
Oregon
Oregon St.
Washington
Washington St.
BYU

Pac 12 South
Stanford
ASU
Arizona
USC
UCLA
Hawaii?

I honestly don't think it will happen, I remember the whispers when Marshall Faulk was at SDSU, but they faded.

It was supposed to be BYU and SDSU. I just don't see any team worth putting in the conference that has some sort of long term success, BYU fits therequirements. Boise State is hot right now, but who knows how long they will be this good. UNLV has never really been good in football. I don't thinkthe Pac 10 is in a hurry to let Hawaii join the conference.

Boise State
BYU
Fresno State
Hawaii

They are all viable candidates, but I don't think it will happen.

The two teams that come up all the time would be fresno state and boise state. they are consistently pretty solid teams. i dont like the idea of a championshipgame though... id hate to see seasons get ruined over a meaningless game

The two teams that come up all the time would be fresno state and boise state. they are consistently pretty solid teams. i dont like the idea of a championship game though... id hate to see seasons get ruined over a meaningless game

co sign..

if there was a "pac 12" fresno state and boise state would be the two teams to join...

I don't dislike the idea, but there's no way the current ADs would let those mid-majors in on the major revenues generated by the Conference.

Not a bad idea, I guess...The NCAA needs to make the BCS conferences as fluid as possible, imo. Either have every conference hold a Conference Title game, ornone of them. Teams like having to validate their regular seasons with a conference championship isn't really fair because it's an extra game tostumble upon, but it's the conference's fault, I suppose...

BYU and Utah make the most sense for the Pac10, don't they? Boise State could as well...

The Pac10 shouldn't mess with Hawaii...Talk about throwing a wrench in the entire conference. That's just not something that should be a realpossibility.

^^

That is what I say, I also like the fact that the Pac 10 doesn't skip opponents. They play everyone, every year.

The only conference I see adding a team in the near future is the Big Ten, they are just waiting for ND to cave in. I think they should, the days of being asuccesful independent are over, it is not viable anymore, even if you are Notre Dame. There is a reason that the Big Ten is stuck on 11 teams, they keepleaving that spot open for ND.

There is talk that once Portland State gets things going with Jerry Glanville that they want to move to D.1 and possibly the Pac 10

I don't think Hawaii would ever be in the PAC10 I don't think all those teams would want to make the travel out to the islands every year or two.

With Tom Hansen as commissioner, nothing is going to get done.

But I think BYU and Utah would be great for the conference. Both of these programs are some of the best outside of the BCS...including them would make sense.

The two teams that come up all the time would be fresno state and boise state. they are consistently pretty solid teams. i dont like the idea of a championship game though... id hate to see seasons get ruined over a meaningless game
wow,
smh.gif

they need to add two more teams and get a championship game, then they will see how it feels to have to really earn that bcs bid

If they do add two teams it would be BYU & Utah. There has been talk for quite a few years about these teams joining the PAC.
The way the PAC-10 works is that teams have natural rivals from the same state or part of the state, Arizona vs. Scummies in AZ, Cal vs. Stanford in NorCal.UCLA vs. USC in SoCal. Washington vs. Wazzu in WA, Oregon vs. OSU in OR.
Adding BYU and any other team than Utah would really mess up basketball scheduling...it would be much more difficult for a team to play in Provo on Thursdayand Fresno or Hawaii on Saturday.
Having sets of teams in geographic proximity really cuts down on travel time and expenses for the schools with the Thursday-Saturday game setup.
Cal can fly to Phoenix on Wednesday, play the Summies Thursday, travel by bus to Tucson on Friday, play on Saturday, and then go back home Saturdaynight...only missing two days of classes.

Leave it to Zo to make a decent post but only to take away from it because he doesn't like ASU.

zodog is right it would work for football to throw any 2 teams in there but it would kill it for bball. it would never get done tho, you see how long ittook for schools to agree for the pac-10 tourny to start again. if they did it tho it would be 2 teams out of the WAC or Mountain West.

Utah and BYU
San Diego State and Fresno State
UNLV and Neveda

San Diego State and Fresno State
i can see that working...the Pac-10 should stay where it should be near the Pacific Ocean, i'm not opposed to Utah at all but that doesn'tseem right to me.
Replace SDSU with UCSD
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
. nahbut forreal tho the Nevada/UNLV one ain't bad either, i'd be all for the Pac-12...

they need to add two more teams and get a championship game, then they will see how it feels to have to really earn that bcs bid
i hope you realize playing EVERY team in the conference once every year ain't easy at all either. every game counts, and you can't avoidany team. in the SEC you might not be playing LSU one year, but in the Pac-10 every team has to play USC every year (just an example of course)

Originally Posted by NBAdotcom

If they do add two teams it would be BYU & Utah. There has been talk for quite a few years about these teams joining the PAC.
The way the PAC-10 works is that teams have natural rivals from the same state or part of the state, Arizona vs. Scummies in AZ, Cal vs. Stanford in NorCal. UCLA vs. USC in SoCal. Washington vs. Wazzu in WA, Oregon vs. OSU in OR.
Adding BYU and any other team than Utah would really mess up basketball scheduling...it would be much more difficult for a team to play in Provo on Thursday and Fresno or Hawaii on Saturday.
Having sets of teams in geographic proximity really cuts down on travel time and expenses for the schools with the Thursday-Saturday game setup.
Cal can fly to Phoenix on Wednesday, play the Summies Thursday, travel by bus to Tucson on Friday, play on Saturday, and then go back home Saturday night...only missing two days of classes.

They would have to make some sort of adjustment to be like the rest of the country I suppose, somehow we all manage out here in the east coastconferences..... you guys got an extra three hours out there, you can use those every week to figure something out right?
grin.gif
Last I checked, West coast schools weren't exactly hurting for moneyeither.

And somebody said Portland State a pac-10 team? Oregon State barely deserves to be in the pac-10, now you're asking for another team from oregon to be in? Don't think so... see if the mountain west or wac can squeeze you in...i hear the big east is lookin for teams too, though that could pose some more ofthose travel problems we talked about just a second ago... hmm, guess you'll have to sit tight for now PSU-west.

i initially shook my head earlier because this is nothing but speculation. nothing is going to happen any time soon. and that was a very informative responseby zodogg.

There has been a lot of talk about this but in the end it shouldn't happen. The Pac-10 has academic powerhouses and near-powerhouses: Stanford, Cal, UCLA,USC, Washington. So teams like Hawaii, San Diego State, Fresno State all have an uphill battle. I think there was talk of Texas and Colorado joining butStanford put the axe on that.

A decade ago, the Pac-10 was particularly keen on adding Colorado and Texas to its membership, a move that would have added the Denver and greater Texas television markets and made possible a conference championship football game. (Translation: about $600,000 extra per year for each league partner.) Rebuffed by both parties, the Pac-10 has since stood on a four-part, no-expansion platform: 1. We don't want to share our TV money. 2. We don't want to split up our bowl-game money. 3. We don't want to compromise our academic standards. 4. We can't realign into divisions because no one is willing to be placed in a group that doesn't include USC and UCLA. The academic leaders at USC, Stanford, Cal and UCLA see themselves as a coterie of Ivy League schools, West Coast division, and as long as they live, the Pac-10 will not be taking on lowbrow academic entities, not San Diego State and especially not Fresno State or UNLV. BYU and Utah are solid academically. They are not Stanford, but neither are they Cal-Fullerton.

From this article http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/37920.php

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

you guys got an extra three hours out there
Did I miss the news flash?

When did we go to 27 hour days in the West Coast.

It's a joke.. i guess you guys trade your sense of humor for that extra time out there... too bad, i was starting to like a few of you westies.
ohwell.gif

Whoa didn't no that at all...but...no offense to ASU/Arizona people, but those 2 schools aren't exactly powerhouse academic schools either (decentschools-of course, but on the level of Stanford/Cal/USC/LA? no). .

^ the academic standards would eliminate a lot of the schools listed. i agree with a few posters, that if it ever happened, it would likely be Utah and BYU.

Back
Top Bottom