Owner of resell company “West Coast Streetwear” mom is a VP at Nike - UPDATE - mom forced to step down

Yeah Do The White Thing was a classic suburban movie with sneakers intertwined.
Don’t forget Mars Whiteman
1615578939404.gif

One thing I never understood was dudes wanting to play pick up games of 21 in their new Jordans. I'm supposed to guard you, but I have to be really careful not to mess up your shoes while I do it. Come on, man :lol:

Right! I’ve seen fights break out over this back in my day. Get the hell out of here! Me personally I never intientionally tried to scuffed someone else kicks in play but c’mon

How are these dudes gonna come on here, then NOT know that Nike hired Spike to do his thing, because he was from Brooklyn?! Jordan was BORN in BK, so the real estate and marketing was already in effect!

A Black man born in Brooklyn, one who wore his shorts baggy, and wore gold chains on court...

...yup, sounds about WHITE.

Right! I’ve seen fights break out over this back in my day. Get the hell out of here! Me personally I never intientionally tried to scuffed someone else kicks in play but c’mon

Same here lol. Some dudes wanted you to pay for them a new pair of shoes if you messed up.

Like I'm sorry I can't control where I land after coming down for a rebound very well. Maybe your foot shouldn't have been near mine at the time.

Can't hate, I would so the same thing for my kids if I had that influence in Nike. No different than what Marcus Jordan is doing.

It's not gentrification because the middle-class is what built the brand from the very beginning. There was never a time when Jordans were only for the hood. White people have always bought them.

Keep living in your fantasies and ignorance.
I don't think that's the question that's being discussed. I think what is being discussed is "who made athletic footwear cool outside sports activities?"

For a long, long time, mainstream (suburban) America didn't consider sneakers as part of a formal attire.

Who made it "cool" to wear Jordan 11s to weddings/graduations? (Not that I personally think that's cool, but we're not talking about personal preferences here). Can you imagine the children in Bill Clinton's family walking on the stage of the presidential inauguration, rocking $1000 sneakers with their suits? You know what the response from the media and "proper society" would have been in 1993.

Assigning a certain level of value to sneakers came from hip hop/basketball culture, activities that have drawn their cultural cachet from urban, mostly black american communities. Suburban America always treated sneakers as a commodity (consumable); that wasn't the case in urban America, which was the first to look at sneakers as assets.

kinda Had to be there. It wasn’t just Jordan’s. Urban culture and style blew up period once movies like colors and new jack city and NWA and stuff like that blew up.

kinda Had to be there. It wasn’t just Jordan’s. Urban culture and style blew up period once movies like colors and new jack city and NWA and stuff like that blew up.

Krush Groove, Style Wars, Breakin, etc.

Dapper Dan, Gucci. Lo Lifes

Big was wearing Coogi in the 90s.

Sawtee (sp) and rappers made Birkin a household name.

I really don’t know what the argument is.

White peoples own these brands. They sometimes intentionally use Black men and women to sell their shoes that were made in Asia to republicans, democrats, hipsters, etc eg Jordan Brand with Spike, Mike, etc. There are times when they don’t intentionally use black men and women eg Polo, Tommy Hilfinger, Gucci, Versace, etc. Then we navigate into racial and class based waters.

i don’t care what white actor wore them on what sitcom. It doesn’t change what was happening in daily life. Using these old pictures to prove a point about how things were back then is crazy. imternet pics and tv sitcoms must be some people’s point of reference. Still like that to this day I see.

Back
Top Bottom