Owner of resell company “West Coast Streetwear” mom is a VP at Nike - UPDATE - mom forced to step down

Who said poor people were the ones who originated the urban street wear culture? Y’all just don’t know what y’all are talking about. Simple as that.

Maybe you can't read and comprehend, but it's been said a few times in here.

So now it wasn't the poor people? Was it only the drug-dealers in the hood? I know #NT is well-versed on that, everyone here is an ex-D-boy.

Girl Thats Jules Girl Thats Jules

Nike was a white people's running sneaker brand before they signed Jordan.

That's how the people who built Nike described themselves, and you can read it here:

51TZ9OIFOTL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Yup, also needs to be mentioned that during that time Nike was failing.

You guys are saying something else. And again, I was only talking of the 80s and 90s.

People in this thread don't understand that when something goes mainstream in America, the middle-class is buying it. And what was the middle-class back then? Mainly white.

Jordans were mainstream from the very first model.

I'm not arguing that the suburban kids couldn't have copied the urban kids in their style. I'm saying that Jordans doing those numbers back then was because white people were buying them.

I think that's just basic economics and American culture. When you have ads during the Super Bowl, ads with Bugs Bunny, Mcdonalds, Coke, you are the definition of mainstream.

The argument started because people in here were making it seem like Jordan Brand was the little brand that the hood built, when they've been mainstream from day 1.

So they copied the style, and now they're buying out all the shoes to resell on the secondary market at exasperated prices. How is that NOT Gentrification? That's where this whole debate stemmed from at the end of the day.

So you agree?

So they copied the style, and now they're buying out all the shoes to resell on the secondary market at exasperated prices. How is that NOT Gentrification? That's where this whole debate stemmed from at the end of the day.

So you agree?
He agrees but doesn’t want to say it :lol:

It's not gentrification because the middle-class is what built the brand from the very beginning. There was never a time when Jordans were only for the hood. White people have always bought them.

Keep living in your fantasies and ignorance.

He's not wrong in the aspect of white kids always having worn Jordans. Adults didn't but J's were cool from like 88 on with white kids and then those kids as adults.

But shoes in general became a much more important piece of mainstream culture due to black culture. If it weren't for hip hop and black culture making shoes and fashion in general a bigger piece of everyday life, we'd all still be buying one pairs of Jordans a year like we did it 1990.

Some of the comments here get funnier and funnier with each read. Boy, some of you give white people credit for everything.

Some of the comments here get funnier and funnier with each read. Boy, some of you give white people credit for everything.
It brings up the question...what came first, the chicken or the egg.

As a young man in the hood circa 80s/90s, Js were a status symbol. But many of us couldn’t afford it. The D boy narrative is probably accurate. Or the black children coming from middle class or higher families. Not to say a poor family wouldn’t buy them as part of the school clothes purchase, but back then they weren’t proliferated as they are now. Now, poor black families will spend and buy them circa 2011 (when the 3s and Concords popped er thing off)...thanks to social norms, hiphop music, black culture, etc.

If a white kid wanted them back in the day they probably had the means. And we can’t dismiss MJ’s cultural impact in the 90s so there probably were white kids wearing them. Just like I’m sure there were rich middle easterners or White people who had Rolls, Bentleys, Maybachs.

It’s like J said, you made it a hot line....I made it a hot song.

Who said poor people were the ones who originated the urban street wear culture? Y’all just don’t know what y’all are talking about. Simple as that.
Not every poor neighborhood is considered a 'hood to begin with. Let's not act like trailer parks are the 'hood here, nor are the poor areas like in the mountains of West Virginia.

The 'HOOD is an acronym for where Black people struggled, yet found avenues of success, yet creating a culture parallel to none. Yeah, we created the term da' 'hood in NYC as well.

It brings up the question...what came first, the chicken or the egg.

As a young man in the hood circa 80s/90s, Js were a status symbol. But many of us couldn’t afford it. The D boy narrative is probably accurate. Or the black children coming from middle class or higher families. Not to say a poor family wouldn’t buy them as part of the school clothes purchase, but back then they weren’t proliferated as they are now. Now, poor black families will spend and buy them circa 2011 (when the 3s and Concords popped er thing off)...thanks to social norms, hiphop music, black culture, etc.

If a white kid wanted them back in the day they probably had the means. And we can’t dismiss MJ’s cultural impact in the 90s so there probably were white kids wearing them. Just like I’m sure there were rich middle easterners or White people who had Rolls, Bentleys, Maybachs.

It’s like J said, you made it a hot line....I made it a hot song.
Why is there such a narrative that if you lived in the 'hood, that there is no other hustle other than dealing? I personally ran errands for the local soul food restaurant, and other buddies of mine became bicycle messengers in the city to make their ends. We had the money we earned, in order to buy what we wanted. To suggest that Black people in the 'hood weren't working, is a racist narrative, just like suggesting that street gear was created and made popular by White people.

Nope. Not going to bite. I get where you’re trying to argue against the stereotype.

No one is saying a young man or woman couldn’t get a job. Bagging. Fast food. Etc. I had a job working through a inner city program making okay money. I liked video games more than Js so my money went to that.

I’m saying the average poor child whose priorities were school and social activities. And 1988-1998...we don’t have the statistics to argue about biggest Jordan buyers, inner city youth employment rates, etc.

Man look, there was money in 'the hood, it was simply that the Black people there did not OWN where they lived in the inner city, and that is why those area's were considered poor. The school systems suffered due to the tax incentives not being there, so those kids who went to public school, were poorly educated.

There is destitute, and there is poor. People still living in shacks nearby cotton fields in Mississippi, are a different kind of poor. The 'hood is rich in comparison, thus the term being 'hood rich.

Anyone else only allowed to get 1 pair of sneakers for the entire school year? :lol:

Sometimes two school years depending on growth and condition of shoes.

I was able to get a pair of sneakers from my grandma from 6th grade til 9th grade for Christmas and Birthdays. My parents weren’t shelling out that kind of cash for sneakers.

She bought me the fire red 4s in the 6th grade for Christmas and told me as long as I took care of them I could have a pair of sneakers as holiday gifts. I would wipe them down after school and put them back in the box. I still do that to this day.

This is where my sickness came from. Grandma and Michael Jordan put me on....I had no idea what was hot in NY.

Many of you do not even know who Albert King is, and he was to NYC, what Jordan became to the world at that time. Oh yeah, when he wore the FREE shoes that Nike gave him? Black people took notice.

Now, this is a vid from the man who started all of this for Nike. He is indeed white. Who did he suggest made this whole thing popular, Larry Bird in Indiana?
1615577858216.png

So where was Jordans originally sold at? Was it only in the hood?

That's actually funny because they used to put stand alone foot lockers in the hood back in the 90s. I don't think I've ever seen one in a suburb back then lol.

Back
Top Bottom