One year ago today, Kanye dropped a classic...

Late Registration was his best work. Not only was it "listenable" with songs like Roses and Addiction, but it also had the mainstream appeal from the songs like "Goldigger" and "Touch the Sky"...

Kinda hard for me to denounce this album when this joint went 21 songs deep with a mix of content, production, and lyricism. Again...to me, Kanye's best work..had songs for almost ANYBODY....

I honestly felt MBDTF lacked the mix of music that Late Registation had...but it was a listenable album to me.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

A playlist of all the "Good Friday" cuts in chronological order > the album...

...I give credit to his management and his agent Charles King at WME for creating insane hype, but this album was nothing special.

I'll take 808s over this any day...

...all those songs were "about" something.

And all those songs were better...
Really? Really?
I remember when 808's dropped, dudes massacre'd that album with slander. 

Now they're taking that over his newest work?

Is that what we do? Bash the latest work until something newer drops? I've seen this type of behavior in the JB forums 
laugh.gif

If you really like 808's, more power to you bro. Because I love the album myself. Nice to see someone who appreciates that album like me. 

But I personally don't think its better than MBDTF. But I don't think his latest is better than 808's either. I love the entire discography equally 

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

So Power, Gorgeous, Lost In The World and The Blame Game are about nothing? I get it if you just don't like the songs but come on man.

Gorgeous and blame game are my favorite joints. He's definitely saying something in blame game, so I will give you that. The rest of the songs are just random bars. I haven't listened to the whole thing in a while, so I may have a different opinion.I still don't understand the first line of gorgeous: "Penitentary chances, the devil dances and eventually answers to the call of autumn"....What? That makes no sense. I guess its just some spoken word, artsy type stuff. The entire album is full of bars like that. Good music, but he's making no point.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

So Power, Gorgeous, Lost In The World and The Blame Game are about nothing? I get it if you just don't like the songs but come on man.

Gorgeous and blame game are my favorite joints. He's definitely saying something in blame game, so I will give you that. The rest of the songs are just random bars. I haven't listened to the whole thing in a while, so I may have a different opinion.I still don't understand the first line of gorgeous: "Penitentary chances, the devil dances and eventually answers to the call of autumn"....What? That makes no sense. I guess its just some spoken word, artsy type stuff. The entire album is full of bars like that. Good music, but he's making no point.
To be fair, a lot of rappers do this as well.
http://rapgenius.com/41353/Jay-z-bl...ont-understand-all-the-+!*+*%!%-that-he-writeCause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
It just means you don't understand all the +!*+*%!% that he write
Still, doesn't mean he wasn't dropping gems in that song.
This the real world, homie, school finished
They done stole your dreams, you dunno who did it
I treat the cash, the way the government treats AIDS
I won’t be satisfied 'til all my %#@!$% get it, get it?

All I'm gonna say, anyone who's hating on MBDTF obviously didn't see it live. Kanye's festival performance
eek.gif

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

"Penitentiary chances, the devil dances and eventually answers to the call of autumn"....What? That makes no sense. 

This whole song is about racism IMO. 
That line to me is just saying there's a risk of going to jail (penitentiary) by doing something illegal (dancing w/ the devil) and no matter how long u dance every one eventually falls (autumn). Nothing here sounds random to me, I thought this was pretty straightforward stuff. 

I like a few songs a lot but that's it for me. Production is great and good Friday releases definitely hurt this album for me...

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Album always seems to stir up some controversy. Personally, I don't see how this is an "average" album at all. I'll tell you right now, NO ONE was @#$@$## with Kanye in 2010, you listen to this album and the other @#$# that came out that year and this trumps everything by a longshot. The production is so incredible, you tell me you didn't shed a tear listening to that 'All of the Lights Interlude' and I'd say you were a liar. I also loved the placement of the tracks. Going from that one moment of silence at the end of DIAND to the single piano chord was straight
pimp.gif
 The thoroughness of this album is what makes it a classic to me. EVERY SONG on this album is good and that is what makes it different from his previous albums. You can make a case for each song being the best song on the album whereas his previous albums always had that one clear standout with a couple bad tracks here and there. 

This man speaks the truth

Classic. Amazing. Perfect.

Made music for the sake of making good music, not sales. And it shows.

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by grittyman20

As far as direction of Kanye's albums, the way I see it:

CD - The struggle leading up and surrounding signing his record deal

LR - Dealing with fame

Graduation - Nothing, just having fun maybe?

808's - Heartbreak

MBDTF - Arrogant thoughts from (arguably) the biggest (hip hop) star in music.

laugh.gif
...serious question, what exactly was that album about? I don't remember spinning it much around that time even though it
had some pretty dope songs on there.
IMO, Graduation was about enjoying and embracing the fame but also being aware of the bull#$^ that comes along with it.

Hmmm, makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by PRIME

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

A playlist of all the "Good Friday" cuts in chronological order > the album...

...I give credit to his management and his agent Charles King at WME for creating insane hype, but this album was nothing special.

I'll take 808s over this any day...

...all those songs were "about" something.

And all those songs were better...
Really? Really?
I remember when 808's dropped, dudes massacre'd that album with slander. 

Now they're taking that over his newest work?

Is that what we do? Bash the latest work until something newer drops? I've seen this type of behavior in the JB forums 
laugh.gif

If you really like 808's, more power to you bro. Because I love the album myself. Nice to see someone who appreciates that album like me. 

But I personally don't think its better than MBDTF. But I don't think his latest is better than 808's either. I love the entire discography equally 

I was kinda wondering the same thing. People slaughtered that album when it came out. I pretty much gave him a pass cause his mother had just died on
the way to making that album, and it was obvious he was going in another direction with it. So I never really count it when talking about his catalog.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Several months from now this same post will be made about Watch The Throne
laugh.gif
Word, lames already got the seeds sown in that thread. New thing around here is to just wait a couple months then act like an album was classic the day it dropped.

Graduation and College Dropout over them all in my eyes but I love everything Kanye does. and Id definitely call MBDTF a classic.

this @%+# aint no damn classic! its a great album but no classic. ill take LR over this album anyday

Edit- nvm i forgot this is NT where Ye has dropped 5 classics in a row

It's too early to label it a classic. If you asked cats about illmatic a year after it dropped I doubt that anyone would really have a clue it would be a true CLASSIC.

Ask again in a 5-10 years

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Several months from now this same post will be made about Watch The Throne
laugh.gif
Word, lames already got the seeds sown in that thread. New thing around here is to just wait a couple months then act like an album was classic the day it dropped.

As long as you recognize that people do this with damn every new album out, not just WTT. Hell, Cole was calling his own album classic before his own fans even did
laugh.gif
Dudes in the Drake thread are calling TC classic too.Definitely gets overused these days.

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

All I'm gonna say, anyone who's hating on MBDTF obviously didn't see it live. Kanye's festival performance
eek.gif

Well duh cause 95% of the country didn't get a chance.

Anyways I like what the director of "Power" had to say about the album. Kanye was the Anti- Tiger Woods. When he !*++*$ up and the whole world was against him, what did he do? Did he play it safe? No. He got even more gaudy and said Here World this is Kanye $%%@#%%%@%!%$ West and this is what I do best. I'm not gonna argue back and forth about this album. But if you didn't get your world rocked by this album then I feel sorry for you. You just didn't feel what I feel

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

eek.gif

Well duh cause 95% of the country didn't get a chance.

Anyways I like what the director of "Power" had to say about the album. Kanye was the Anti- Tiger Woods. When he !*++*$ up and the whole world was against him, what did he do? Did he play it safe? No. He got even more gaudy and said Here World this is Kanye $%%@#%%%@%!%$ West and this is what I do best. I'm not gonna argue back and forth about this album. But if you didn't get your world rocked by this album then I feel sorry for you. You just didn't feel what I feel
exactly

For me, I want so badly to love the album.

Everything made me want to really love it but it just didn't happen. I see how much praise it receives, and I am aware how "good" of an album it is. But there's a lot of reasons that I find it falling short of everything I wanted it to be…
Gorgeous had me wishing there wasn't any voice distortion, and I was wishing I hadn't heard the verse he spit on Hot97 beforehand, but it didn't take away much.
I think most of it has to do with the fact that I listened to things too much before the release.
When I first heard POWER, I was reallllly anticipating the album. But that song was released 6 months prior to the album, and when I got to it on the album I just desired to hear what else was on there.
All of the Lights leaked and I listened (but that's not on Ye anyways.) The interlude and the song are both great.
Too many of the songs were released through GOOD Fridays that it took me by surprise when multiples ended up on the album. By the time the album came out, I had listened to them so much already, and they occur back to back to back on the record. [Ye didn't even continue GOOD Fridays until Christmas nor did he resume them after the album release, which was a little disappointing although not related to the album.]
Runaway had been out for a while and I had heard it in multiple iterations that I wasn't as impressed as I could have been.
Lost in the World and All of the Lights (as Ghetto University w/ Drake) leaked at the end of September and Hell of a Life leaked in October.

Out of the 11 actual songs on a 13 track album, and having 5 of them formally released with substantial time before release, its hard having only 6 "new" songs that include 3 leaks (LITW+AOTL+Hell of a Life).

It just fails to draw me in and make me want to listen. Very little replay value.

Back
Top Bottom