One year ago today, Kanye dropped a classic...

I can agree with this. I'm not a Kanye fan but this album is a classic to me. I've had the physical CD in my car for the whole year and I still play it regularly. 

Originally Posted by xbiker47

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Album was
pimp.gif
... Between this & the G.O.O.D. Friday tracks it was a great year for music from him.
this but this still aint touching LR. IDGAF what nobody say.

Really? That many people on NT are hating on this album? Y'all must be some YMCMB fans. Every song on this album is great. The whole album tells a story from track 1 to track 12. The production is
eek.gif

I still don't see how people rank LR>CD. Track for track CD kills the rest of his catalogue.

After LR his subject matter went downhill. He basically just rambles about nothing after that.

I'm listening to MBDTF now. He def worked hard on it, the beats are so "full" and "hefty", there are no songs with basic/empty beats, like "the joy". Each track has its own feel.

Best songs:
Blame Game
Gorgeous
Hell of a life

His BEST REVIEWED ALBUM TO DATE! These reviews were unheard of, especially for a HIP-HOP album.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy received general acclaim from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 94, based on 43 reviews, which indicates "universal acclaim".

Album always seems to stir up some controversy. Personally, I don't see how this is an "average" album at all. I'll tell you right now, NO ONE was @#$@$## with Kanye in 2010, you listen to this album and the other @#$# that came out that year and this trumps everything by a longshot. The production is so incredible, you tell me you didn't shed a tear listening to that 'All of the Lights Interlude' and I'd say you were a liar. I also loved the placement of the tracks. Going from that one moment of silence at the end of DIAND to the single piano chord was straight
pimp.gif
 The thoroughness of this album is what makes it a classic to me. EVERY SONG on this album is good and that is what makes it different from his previous albums. You can make a case for each song being the best song on the album whereas his previous albums always had that one clear standout with a couple bad tracks here and there. 

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by Chrisb9393

I don't think its a classic, but its a damn good album with great production.

This.
Originally Posted by LBJ23navo

Only problem I had with this album was that he leaked damn near half the album with GOOD fridays.. If it wasn't for that I probably would've appreciated it more. 
Totally THIS.

I hated this after the fact. 

A playlist of all the "Good Friday" cuts in chronological order > the album...

...I give credit to his management and his agent Charles King at WME for creating insane hype, but this album was nothing special.

I'll take 808s over this any day...

...all those songs were "about" something.

And all those songs were better...

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

Word! Album is far from classic. Decent....not even close to classic status. Kids are losing a grip of what classic actually means.

What DOES classic actually mean?

It's all opinion. It's funny that dude said "kids" cause the album pretty much got perfect reviews everywhere (not saying that means everything) and most of the people I know that really liked the album are 25+

Yeah I dunno what I hate more, people who throw the word "classic" around or the fact that people don't actually define what the word even means.

Btw, Peep Game is one of the few dudes so far who explained what he didn't like about the album. It would be nice to read someone else actually defend their opinion as opposed to simply calling the album "trash". Or a "classic" for that matter.

MBDTF is a very well put-together project, but i feel like the individual songs aren't that amazing. they're good songs, but i feel like Kanye was caught up in his own hype and forgot to include the little things that make great music great.

i actually like/play 808s much more than MBDTF.. when it comes to music, a lot of times simple and honest works better than grandiose.

to this day i feel this is his best album...there's no other album of his that i can just sit there and jam like this...

RIDICULOUSLY over-hyped....Honestly, I haven't listened to the album from start-to-finish since it dropped last year. TO ME, it has little replay value. There are a couple of tracks that I listen to, but not the whole thing....I'd say this was his 4th best effort behind (LR, CD, and Graduation....I don't even count 808s) also, it wasn't even the best rap album last year...How I got over and Distant Relatives KILLED MBDTF. Honestly, it's gotten to the point where Kanye could pass gas over a heavy beat and critics/fans would say that the joint is a 9.5/10

THIS.

One of my fav albums to drop in the past 5 years,
pimp.gif
. Album is pretty much perfect imo

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

RIDICULOUSLY over-hyped....Honestly, I haven't listened to the album from start-to-finish since it dropped last year. TO ME, it has little replay value. There are a couple of tracks that I listen to, but not the whole thing....I'd say this was his 4th best effort behind (LR, CD, and Graduation....I don't even count 808s) also, it wasn't even the best rap album last year...How I got over and Distant Relatives KILLED MBDTF. Honestly, it's gotten to the point where Kanye could pass gas over a heavy beat and critics/fans would say that the joint is a 9.5/10

THIS.

Talk to 'em champ.

I believe this album is a classic.

It's his highest acclaimed album to date as far as reviews.

It did numbers at retail. Hell, all of the singles released have gone at least Gold and/or charted in the top 25 on Billboard.

"Power" alone won iTunes Video of the Year award, 3rd best song of 2010 by TIME, MTV, etc.

The "GOOD Friday" campaign that was started to buildup the anticipation for this album was bitten by damn near half the rap game.

Rappers AND producers. Legends included.

A lot of people are bitter over the "hype" for this album, but it was inevitable. Not to mention this was his first album since "808's".

Kanye is a popular, Grammy winning artist w/ a very loyal fanbase, so of course it was blown up.

As is the case is with Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, etc. The difference is its critical reception among the general consensus.

And I won't even touch on the actual music.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Air Kalo

I believe this album is a classic.

It's his highest acclaimed album to date as far as reviews.

It did numbers at retail. Hell, all of the singles released have gone at least Gold and/or charted in the top 25 on Billboard.

"Power" alone won iTunes Video of the Year award, 3rd best song of 2010 by TIME, MTV, etc.

The "GOOD Friday" campaign that was started to buildup the anticipation for this album was bitten by damn near half the rap game.

Rappers AND producers. Legends included.

A lot of people are bitter over the "hype" for this album, but it was inevitable. Not to mention this was his first album since "808's".

Kanye is a popular, Grammy winning artist w/ a very loyal fanbase, so of course it was blown up.

As is the case is with Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, etc. The difference is its critical reception among the general consensus.

And I won't even touch on the actual music.
laugh.gif
All of that has nothing to do with the music though.
Critical acclaim is just as political as everything else in the game.
Your basing an album's worth to yourself off of how publications see it?

Back
Top Bottom