Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

If that's true, if that is why Smith really didn't take the role, that is very interesting. As was discussed here on NT, why didn't Django get to kill Candie? Very interesting if Will is telling the truth there.

If that's true, if that is why Smith really didn't take the role, that is very interesting. As was discussed here on NT, why didn't Django get to kill Candie? Very interesting if Will is telling the truth there.

I think it was simply cause Candie and Dr. Schultz had more of a beef that needed to be settled between the two of them. Surely, Django's wife was under Candie's capture, but the dinner scenes really showed the conflict between Candie and Schultz where it had to be taken care of by either or.

dawn of the dead the original greatest zombie movie ever

shia beat down scene alone is worth watching lawless but i loved hardy in it as well.

first time i saw hardy was when he played handsome bob :lol: poor gerard

and will smith with a big ego. his loss. this the same dude that got banged by a white guy in a movie? yea bro that damaged your image huh?

First time I saw Tom Hardy was Star Trek: Nemesis as Shinzon & Black Hawk Down. I'm really interested in the Mad Max remake with him in the starring role.

Who really cares about Will Smith. Seriously, Django Unchained was a better movie without him. Will's played the same guy through every movie outside of Six Degrees of Separation & Ali.

Last edited:
dawn of the dead the original greatest zombie movie ever

shia beat down scene alone is worth watching lawless but i loved hardy in it as well.

first time i saw hardy was when he played handsome bob :lol: poor gerard

and will smith with a big ego. his loss. this the same dude that got banged by a white guy in a movie? yea bro that damaged your image huh?

Wait what movie was this?!? haha thats pretty ayo

& I'm glad Will turned it down. Foxx killed that role

Wait what movie was this?!? haha thats pretty ayo

six degrees of seperation

was a good film adaption of a play

anthony michael hall of breakfast club fame played his boyfriend i believe

also a young jj abrams has a background role in it i believe

this was in the middle of his fresh prince fame and was cnsidered a controversial role for him at the time but it didnt damgae his career or fame at all.

This is a good show some people will be put off in the first few minutes though

I went in thinking it would be a series with multiple seasons but sadly it's only a mini-series.

Really Will Smith? That's why you didn't do the film? Leo is just as big as a movie star as you are and he still did the film with a role that doesn't even show up till half way through the film.

IMO Empire is the best movie magazine around. Here's a pic of their upcoming issue with (fold out cover) with JJ Abrams & Star Trek. A 75 page story no less. He talks about Star Wars too but I'm not sure what's covered. Can't wait to get this in the mail.

six degrees of seperation

was a good film adaption of a play

anthony michael hall of breakfast club fame played his boyfriend i believe

also a young jj abrams has a background role in it i believe

this was in the middle of his fresh prince fame and was cnsidered a controversial role for him at the time but it didnt damgae his career or fame at all.

Not only did it not hurt him, I think that's the role that put him on the map as a real "actor," and not just a rapper who also acts. It was a great career move by him at that point. Unfortunately, once he got movie star status, he got more conservative with his role choices.

Really Will Smith? That's why you didn't do the film? Leo is just as big as a movie star as you are and he still did the film with a role that doesn't even show up till half way through the film.

Explains why he does stuff like I am Legend, and After Earth, Hancock, I Robot, etc. Even look at the way MIB was handled, they don't even use Tommy Lee Jones the first half of II, and he is completely gone for the majority of III. :smh:

I didn't know Will was like that. I knew he picked and chose his roles the way Simmons outlined once, but this is takin it too damn far. Dude musta been pissed Tom Hanks got Castaway over him. :lol:

IMO Empire is the best movie magazine around. Here's a pic of their upcoming issue with (fold out cover) with JJ Abrams & Star Trek. A 75 page story no less. He talks about Star Wars too but I'm not sure what's covered. Can't wait to get this in the mail.

This looks :pimp:

Gotta scoop :pimp:

I agree with everything Will said. I think he could've maybe done a more interesting job than Jamie, but that's not a role he'd be interested. The last time he wasn't THE GUY in a movie was Six Degrees of Separation, where he played the manic pixie dream...educated, privileged black boy. He was still the most interesting and important character in the film. In Django, Schultz is more interesting, but Django's more important.

Still, he could've stolen the movie, and for damn sure would've been nominated for an Oscar.

Is what it is, I guess. :\

Last edited:
Decided to watch Tree of Life tonight....

I got my bottle of Jack with me and I'm ready for my mind to be ******.

I don't know what the **** this movie is.

Tree of Life 
mean.gif

I'm about to turn you off

:lol: Like...I get it...but that was one of my favorite movies from 2011.

You gotta invite that type of shapeless, ambient (pretentious?) filmmaking in. It's a movie that kinda begs you to bring your own baggage, interpretation, and life experiences, and feel your way through the ideas, the beliefs and the emotions, more than it asks you to follow a narrative.

There aren't really characters, but symbols in the movie.
There isn't really a story, but ideas about life and existence.

That's a lot to ask, without much of a real payoff, but I loved it. :nerd: :lol:

Last edited:
I agree with everything Will said. I think he could've maybe done a more interesting job than Jamie, but that's not a role he'd be interested. The last time he wasn't THE GUY in a movie was Six Degrees of Separation, where he played the manic pixie dream...educated, privileged black boy. He was still the most interesting and important character in the film. In Django, Schultz is more interesting, but Django's more important.

Still, he could've stolen the movie, and for damn sure would've been nominated for an Oscar.

Is what it is, I guess. :\

Wait, you think Will would have done a better job than Jamie? Do you mean that only in the "surprise" of Will doing a role of that nature? Because true ability wise, I'm taking Jamie over him every single time without question.

Smith is who he is. A talented actor who prefers to be the calculating movie star. Disappointing because he could do more, but he delivers.

I think Will playing against type would've been more interesting...and there were just moments early on where Jamie didn't exactly connect. Jamie's a strong actor, but Will's natural charisma would've just gotten something more across. It didn't exactly make sense why Django was so special until the second half of the movie. Will Smith sweats special-ness. Once you see him, you know it's an event.

And you could see what Jamie was doing, with the softness of his voice. He was trying to show how internalized the sweet slave was in the face of white people. You don't get no bass in your voice around massa, and I understood that. But with Will...outside of Morgan Freeman, he is the most non-threatening black actor. period. That sweet face is the only face he shows to the public, so suddenly it's the other side. The side that Jame does with ease that's something special to see from Will. You'd literally be watching his public persona evolve into a thinking, self-criticizing assessment of what it means, and maybe why he had to be so non-threatening to get by.

That persona, and that affect...in this role. I mean that's Travolta dancing disco in Pulp Fiction. The things the film had to say about the special negro with a talent that gets a pass, mean more with Will as the lead. It uses the last 20 years of Will being America's favorite black man to say something about what that means, and the divide between giving a special black person a pass, and being decent to black people.

And I don't doubt the performance Quentin could've gotten out of Will, wouldn't be something special.

Last edited:
Ok, as I figured you meant, you're talkin about the specialness of having Will step outside his box.

In a lot of ways, Leo did that same thing, just to work with QT.

That much I can agree with you on, absolutely. But I was really happy with Foxx getting it, and I thought his performance was really good. But your point is valid.

I think saying Will Smith being a talented actor might be a stretch IMO. He's definitely a movie star with charisma. Outside of 3 movies, he's never really had to stretch himself & show true acting skills. Aside from that he's played the same guy over & over. He's a better business man than actor (aside from turning down Django & Matrix). The last several Will Smith movies I've seen, I've been very unsatisfied (like Teddy KGB says it). There was always some element (or multiple elements) that left me thinking a Will Smith movie could've been more.

Edit- For me, Will Smith is like Christina Aguilera doing those vocal rolls. It's like look, we know you can do them but try & sing a song with feeling. Same thing with Will. We know you can do block buster movies & have made piles of money doing it. Stretch yourself a bit & try to pic better movies. It seems like he's reading a play book Tom Cruise has given him at a BBQ or something & following it to a T. I won't seea Will Smith movie the same way I won't listen to a Christina Aguilera song because it's the same thing from the previous effort.

Last edited:
Quentin gets the best outta his actors, and those 3 roles are enough for me to think Will could do it.

I mean, he is talented enough, he'd just rather be Mr. 4th of July, than Mr. February.

Last edited:
I aint mad at Will for his alleged reasons nor am I surprised.

Certain ppl you just have to give up on/accept they'll never fulfill that potential or the expectations you placed on them.

i dunno. if will was django i could see him in that high pitch voice on that "how come my dad dont love me uncle phil" moment throughout the movie. :lol:

I think denzel would have been perfect in that role if he were ten years younger word to glory

denzel plays the bad *** well

imagine him saying i like the way you die lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom