Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Physical media thrift pickups
IMG_5174.jpeg
Decent time-wasters, and also Rounders & The Village.

Quoted this for myself to come back to.
Knocking these out whenever possible.

Triangle of Sadness
It's a Wonderful Life
Holiday Inn
Beetlejuice

La Haine
Barry London
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Paris, Texas

Winona's can't count self:
Matewan
Au Revoir les Enfants
Lost in America
Modern Romance
After Life

Blue Velvet
Purple Moon
Apocalypse Now
The Jerk

I didn’t know you needed new movies to watch :nerd:

1) The Vanishing (1988)
2) Star 80 (1983)

Guarantee you love at least one. Both really, but I’m being modest

If you’re looking for a good time to watch IT, be it the 1990 miniseries, or the 2017 film and/or Chapter 2, now is a good time.

Reason being? On this exact day 38 years ago, the book was published.

1726413947256.gif

IT really is such a fascinating story. One where it can be discussed for hours on end

Wikipedia does a fine job summarizing it, thematically:

“the power of memory, childhood trauma and its recurrent echoes in adulthood, the malevolence lurking beneath the idyllic facade of the American small town, and overcoming evil through mutual trust and sacrifice.”

I’m guessing the new movie didn’t go into what really happened in this scene :lol:

First time watching Baby Boy. I see where a lot of quotes come from now.

Damn Jody mom was looking fire. Ton of beautiful woman, but she stood out.

“I done seen everything except Christ” :pimp: :pimp:

Last edited:
Can only choose one:

Olga Kurylenko
Monica Belucci

Im choosing Olga Belucci allllll night and night. :pimp:
Not a fair comparison.
You have to compare somebody like, oh man I can’t even think. Olga is just so endearing.

Adele Exarchopoulos
Jessica Brown Findlay

Belucci is cute though.

First time watching Darkman. Damn movie is fire. So damn raw. Reminds me of The fly, the crow. Just plain raw.

Man. Raimi used a ton of Darkman to his Spiderman films :rofl:

All the swinging he did, the “change” scene, the empty building construction. Even the “who am I, I’m Spiderman” at the end :rofl:

Not getting a proper sequel

Last edited:
First time watching Darkman. Damn movie is fire. So damn raw. Reminds me of The fly, the crow. Just plain raw.

Man. Raimi used a ton of Darkman to his Spiderman films :rofl:

All the swinging he did, the “change” scene, the empty building construction. Even the “who am I, I’m Spiderman” at the end :rofl:

Not getting a proper sequel

"TAKE THE ******* ELEPHANT!!"

Mount Rushmore of movies that are never streaming anywhere:

Ransom
Any Given Sunday
Pump Up The Volume
American Gigolo

So, watched Pump Up The Volume for the first time in a few years - it's a bit of a guilty pleasure. First saw it in the 90s when I'd just finished HS and even then it sat a bit uncomfortably - but Christian Slater is a handsome man and also helloooo Nora.

Looking back though it's even worse - a whitewashed view of the angst of middle America and the odd reaction of the authorities to clamp down on this when there were significantly more important things is just odd. Kids rebelling by not going to Yale - yeah, that's a key priority.

el presidente el presidente lawdog1 lawdog1

Interestingly, the film (IT) does contain references to Maturin (The Turtle), an Easter Egg paying homage to the Novel.

The swimming scene
1726505077809.gif

Bill drops a lego turtle on the floor
1726505147516.gif

I do find the mythology to be cool, but I could understand the omission due to time, the director wanting to focus on the human trauma, etc.

Esquire makes a logical, and humorous case for the omission of this aspect: “Maybe audiences aren’t ready to accept that the Universe was made by a cosmic turtle who coughed up our very existence during a bit of indigestion.” :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom