Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I've still never seen Collateral. Need to get on that. Not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise but I always hear good things about that.

About to start this Fear Street Trilogy first.
Please see it when you get a chance and report back! I feel you will be pleased with the film.

This topic comes up once or twice a yeart’s pretty hard to NOT put Cruise in the top 5. WORLDWIDE icon. Top 10 highest grossing actor OF ALL TIME. So he’s been nominated for 3 oscars and hasn’t won one? Leo has been nominated for 7 oscars and only has 1.

Sam Jack is the number one grossing actor. 1 Oscar nom and no wins.

Sly- 0 wins, 3 noms

Will- 2 noms, zero wins

Bruce Willis: not even an Oscar nom

Hardy- 1 nom

RDJ- 2 noms (tropic thunder :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )

The rock- lol

Denzel- 2 wins out of 9 noms
Damon- 1 win 5 noms
Affleck- 2 and 2 (screenplay and best picture)

Basically what I’m saying is that Cruise gotta be top 5 if you consider how much money he brings in, and you factor in he’s at least been nominated for 3 academy awards, making him a “good” actor and not just an action star. Every film that comes out with his name in the title is still must-see, until he starts having a string of misfires. Only has 2 or 3 misfires in his entire career!

With all that said, Hanks got him beat if we’re using these acting parameters. Higher grossing numbers. 2 Oscar wins with 6 noms. Forest Gump AND sheriff woody?
BC4EBCE6-BC3B-45FE-B74A-B6E1B165DD26.gif

I mean yeah he’s an icon but I care more about acting skill than anything. He’s not bad but he’s also not in the highest tier as far as that goes.

And I sure as hell base nothing off what the Academy votes :lol:

I mean yeah he’s an icon but I care more about acting skill than anything. He’s not bad but he’s also not in the highest tier as far as that goes.

And I sure as hell base nothing off what the Academy votes :lol:
0E70BFE1-2BDB-4A80-B139-812879400FF0.gif
but who is a more skilled actor? And what are you basing the metric off?

0E70BFE1-2BDB-4A80-B139-812879400FF0.gif
but who is a more skilled actor? And what are you basing the metric off?

Personal opinion :lol: The Academy has ****** more often than not.

DDL
Brando
Leo
De Niro
Jack
Zel

Honestly I can keep going for a minute, there’s some less popular actors I think are better at acting like PSH
Even someone like Brad Pitt has way more range

Personal opinion :lol: The Academy has ****ed more often than not.

DDL
Brando
Leo
De Niro
Jack
Zel

Honestly I can keep going for a minute, there’s some less popular actors I think are better at acting like PSH

fully agree with you on all those. And especially brad.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yo this thread gonna be the death of me. Got me wheeze laughing right now. CP gonna have an aneurysm with the draft pressures. Koop blood pressure through the roof. Zik about to come in here with some Ether.

Keanu is in my personal Top 10 for film resume as well, but yes, Tom Hanks was a miss on my part.

Speed, Point Break, Matrix I and II, and John Wick is probably my most rewatched group of films by one actor there is. He's not Top 5, but Top 10 I feel safe with.

Personal opinion :lol: The Academy has ****ed more often than not.

DDL
Brando
Leo
De Niro
Jack
Zel

Danny Trejo
Keith David
Jackie Chan

I was about to go in but I'll keep it simple, cuz I feel like I definitely had this discussion with y'all in this very thread years back.

Two ways to look at movies, actors and all that. Two groups/categories in these discussions. There's the actors who are great at acting and how you rank them and then there's the movie stars discussion that consists of a lot of intangibles and unquantifiable things like star power charisma, etc.

As far as acting goes, Tom is really good but he's not great. He has maybe a handful of stellar performances but usually you'll hear the similar criticism that he's usually the same person in every movie (Vanilla Sky, Edge of Tomorrow, Minority Report). Very rarely are you gonna go to Tom to see him become another person like Tom Hardy or Daniel Day can do. And that's fine cuz Tom is thriving at something those guys can't do.

When it comes to being a movie star though, Tom Cruise is arguably top 3 not 5. Top 3. C CP1708 already laid out a good starter list of others in that group and really over the past 30 years those are the names. The main thing that sets Tom a part is consistency. If you deleted all the Mission Impossible movies from your mind he's still up there with the best when ot comes to entertaining action movies. Not to mention how he isn't afraid to dip heavy in to sci-fi, dabble in comedy, etc.

There is an even rarer group of actors who have managed to do both; be huge movie stars and be great actors. Main names that stick out to me are Denzel, Leo, Sam Jack, and Matt Damon. Matthew McConaughey was on the verge of being in that group but he kinda tapered off on both fronts. Same with Will Smith but he just didn't follow up with great acting performances consistently.

When it comes to resumes, that comes down to personal preference but I want a mix of good and great movies with great performances and stories and just plain great entertaining movies.

Well that was longer than I intended.

Let’s go then. I’m not playing with you no more 😤

Get the **** outta here

/Boston accent

Tom Cruise has more dynamics in his persona he puts on screen than Hanks, like the Tom Cruise in the Firm was a different, nerve-wracked version than that of the no-fear Tom Cruise we see in Eyes Wide Shut that just wants to go to the party, and then, there’s the cocky sob dude we see in Days of Thunder. They’re all Tom Cruise’s charisma but different versions of Cruise coming out.

While I love Tom Hanks in everything, he seems like Carl Hanratty from Catch Me or Captain John Miller from Saving Private Ryan in every movie, which is great because it’s still one of the GOATs: Tom Hanks.

Two ways to look at movies, actors and all that. Two groups/categories in these discussions. There's the actors who are great at acting and how you rank them and then there's the movie stars discussion that consists of a lot of intangibles and unquantifiable things like star power charisma, etc.

Pretty much how I feel. I always lean towards performances..Seymour Hoffman, Bale, DDL, Ed Norton, etc.

And what are you basing the metric off?
My own opinion.

My favorites are Leo, DeNiro, Pacino, Kidman, Margot, Denzel, Jake Gyllenhaal, Damon, because I love the range of the characters they've absolutely nailed. For me, the characters in Days of Thunder, Jerry Maguire, Top Gun, and Mission Impossible are all similar, just with different careers and set against different plot lines. Not literally the same; just too similar for ME.

Collateral was a complete break from what I'm used to w/ Cruise, and methinks that's why it's so highly regarded.

-foe

Collateral and Tropic Thunder made me see Tom in a different, better light. Dude can get real dark, and he can get real funny (and very self aware). Not the biggest fan of his, but I'll give him a chance in anything.

Back
Top Bottom