Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Who's #1?

My favorite Fincher film has to be Curious Case, I'd get on that ASAP.

The Social Network was also very good though.

Have they abandoned the rest of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy? :nerd:

Paul Thomas Anderson.
I've actually only seen the first few minutes of CC and TSN for very different reasons. :lol:

and IDK :nerd:

I remember seeing Zodiac in theaters. I was on the edge of my seat. That whole story was intriguing as hell to me. I ended up watching a 2 hr documentary about it as well.

Speaking of the girl with the dragon tattoo on the last page has the trilogy been abandoned? :nerd:

Hahaha my brother was scared to go to his room last night.

I need to vent.

So I got a screener today for a film called The Bag Man, which comes out at the end of February. It stars Robert De Niro and John Cusack. The trailer for the film came out yesterday but I didn't watch it. I went into the film blind.

Sure enough the film was horrible. Just GOD AWFUL crap.

and It leads me to wonder why the hell would John Cusack and more-so Robert De Niro say yes to a film that's such crap.

Lets take a few things they get to judge a film on before saying yes: 1. The director: In this case it was David Grovic, his directorial debut. 2. The script: in this case absolutely bland and boring. 3. Cast: Did De Niro really want to work with John Cusack, Rebecca Da Costa and Crispin Glover that bad?

And I don't want to hear crap about being contractually obligated to do films for companies or whatever. It seems like De Niro (sans American Hustle and Silver Linings Playbook) has either lost his ability to decipher a good or bad film and or owed / is doing too many favors.

So do yourself a favor and when The Bag Man comes out at the end of February, don't go see it.

Last edited:
I need to vent.

So I got a screener today for a film called The Bag Man, which comes out at the end of February. It stars Robert De Niro and John Cusack. The trailer for the film came out yesterday but I didn't watch it. I went into the film blind.

Sure enough the film was horrible. Just GOD AWFUL crap.

and It leads me to wonder why the hell would John Cusack and more-so Robert De Niro say yes to a film that's such crap.

Lets take a few things they get to judge a film on before saying yes: 1. The director: In this case it was David Grovic, his directorial debut. 2. The script: in this case absolutely bland and boring. 3. Cast: Did De Niro really want to work with John Cusack, Rebecca Da Costa and Crispin Glover that bad?

And I don't want to hear crap about being contractually obligated to do films for companies or whatever. It seems like De Niro (sans American Hustle and Silver Linings Playbook) has either lost his ability to decipher a good or bad film and or owed / is doing too many favors.

So do yourself a favor and when The Bag Man comes out at the end of February, don't go see it.

I just caught this trailer a few minutes ago, never heard of the film to begin with. Definitely something I have no interest in seeing :lol: .

I think DeNiro owed/is doing too many favors. Also, any check he cashes in likely goes straight to TriBeca funding IMO.

But someone like De Niro who can hand pick / wait for any role he wants shouldn't be put in that position. And i refuse to believe he is "hurting for cash" and so this is his way of a quick check.

No to mention this film, The Bag Man, (formally titled Motel) was shot a long time ago, and sat on the shelf for years for a reason.

But someone like De Niro who can hand pick / wait for any role he wants shouldn't be put in that position. And i refuse to believe he is "hurting for cash" and so this is his way of a quick check.

No to mention this film, The Bag Man, (formally titled Motel) was shot a long time ago, and sat on the shelf for years for a reason.

Not that he's hurting for cash, but he's just doing these **** roles because it's quick and easy money. He doesn't have to put much effort into them.

I'm with you though. I hate seeing him take on such bad roles/films.

Although he was never regarded as a great actor, its also sad what happened to Cusack's career. When's the last time that guy was in a good movie? High Fidelity? Grosse Pointe Blank? Either way, its been decades. But at least he has some 80s cult classics going for him.

Hot Tub was wild. Story was good but the casting of Cusack just didn't feel right.

The kid from sex drive was good.

It's quite possible that at this stage in his career and at his age he may just be on his Samuel L. Jackson grind.

He didn't have to do The Family either but he did it (not that it was horrible) but you get what I mean he's not holding out for excellent films only. I do find it weird why he isn't trying to direct more since he tried his hand at it in the past decade.

It's quite possible that at this stage in his career and at his age he may just be on his Samuel L. Jackson grind.

He didn't have to do The Family either but he did it (not that it was horrible) but you get what I mean he's not holding out for excellent films only. I do find it weird why he isn't trying to direct more since he tried his hand at it in the past decade.

He did The Family, once called Malivita to work with Luc Besson. It wasn't awful but it wasnt good

Venom, I'm surprised you are surprised, given that he just did Grudge Match, which was an obvious cash-in. :lol:

Grudge Match falls into that category as well for sure. I just mentioned The Bag Man because I got the screener, saw it and it's coming out Feb 28. So the idea that something he did was sitting on the shelf for years and is actually being released on the hopes it can sell via De Niro and Cusack is cheap and immoral.

Not that I'm surprised at all at Hollywood's attempt to cash in.

Frankly this film is so bad that if De Niro wasn't in it, I believe it would have been a Cusack led film STRAIGHT TO DVD or VOD

There's roles I would like to see De Niro embrace, but I don't think he has it in him anymore. Dude lost his gift (until he proves me otherwise) and he's just capitalizing on his name in the meantime.

There's roles I would like to see De Niro embrace, but I don't think he has it in him anymore. Dude lost his gift (until he proves me otherwise) and he's just capitalizing on his name in the meantime.

If De Niro has one more stellar performance in him, it would be The Irishman (Scorsese directed), staring him, Pacino, and Pesci. No clue if it's ever being made though.

In regards to DeNiro, I wonder if there was a period of time, maybe as he was getting older, that he wasn't getting offered scripts/roles he really liked, so he just said "screw it, if I'm not getting offered Raging Bull/Tax Driver/Godfather types roles anymore, I might as well just get paid and do whatever." It really does seem like he stopped caring about the quality of his projects years ago.

If De Niro has one more stellar performance in him, it would be The Irishman (Scorsese directed), staring him, Pacino, and Pesci. No clue if it's ever being made though.

I'm losing hope that the film is even gonna be made.

Scorsese still have 2 projects to shoot before that.

What are Scorsese's upcoming projects venom?

He's doing a film called Silence starring Andrew Garfield

Synopsis: Two Jesuit priests, Sebastião Rodrigues and Francis Garrpe, travel to seventeenth century Japan which has, under the Tokugawa shogunate, banned Catholicism and almost all foreign contact. There they witness the persecution of Japanese Christians at the hands of their own government which wishes to purge Japan of all western influence. Eventually the priests separate and Rodrigues travels the countryside, wondering why God remains silent while His children suffer.

A Bill Clinton Documentary, and a few more rumored projects.

We'll see.

The Irishman has been rumored for about 4 years now

Finally caught Dallas Buyers Club now that it’s starting to come out again for Oscar season, and holy hell am I glad it is! It’s glorious man. Prior to seeing this, I was kind of sketched out on whether Matthew deserved a clean sweep of the big three awards (SAGs, GG, and Oscar), but after seeing his portrayal of Ron Woodroof? Hell man, give it to him. Both him and Ledo went through spectacular physical changes, and they both were stellar. Ledo really has no competition. He was so far ahead of every other supporting actor they nominated this year. He kills Hill and Cooper IMO, and only way he doesn’t win an Oscar is if the Academy ends up feeling sorry for Fassbender for whatever reason. But I’m more than happy to see Ledo doing his thing here. The dynamic between Ledo, Matthew McConaughey, and Jennifer Garner was so damn intriguing.

This is probably the last 2013 film that I’ll see that has gotten a ton of critical success, and I’m happy that it closed on this note. Here’s the films I ended up watching, and tiering them.

Loved: Pacific Rim, The Conjuring, The World’s End, Lee Daniels’ The Butler, You’re Next, Rush, Prisoners, 12 Years a Slave, Escape Plan, Dallas Buyers Club, Out of the Furnace, American Hustle, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Her, The Wolf of Wall Street, Lone Survivor.

Enjoyed: Warm Bodies, Side Effects, Evil Dead, Oblivion, Star Trek: Into Darkness, The East, This is the End, World War Z, We’re the Millers, Elyisum, Gravity, Ender’s Game, Thor: The Dark World, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,

Sat through/Indifferent: Gangster Squad, Bullet to the Head, Oz the Great and Powerful, The Croods, Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Insidious: Chapter 2, Machete Kills, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues,

Hated: Spring Breakers, The Purge, Kick-*** 2, Don Jon, Carrie,

Eventually, I’d like to watch the following films I missed out on-

Texas Chainsaw 3D (Own), Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (Own), Broken City, Mama (Own), The Last Stand (Own), Beautiful Creatures, Stoker, Trance (Own), The Place Behind the Pines, 42 (Own), The Lords of Salem (Own), The Great Gatsby, Fast 6, Before Midnight, Only God Forgives, The Way Way Back, Fruitvale Station (Own), V/H/S/2 (Own), RIPD, The Fifth Estate, The Counselor, Big Sur, Philomena, Nebraska, Frozen, Oldboy, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, Inside Llewyn Davis, Saving Mr. Banks, Grudge Match, August: Osage County.

If I had to give a Top 5 films I loved in 2013, in no order I’d choose:

Her, 12 Years a Slave, Prisoners, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Dallas Buyers Club. Those had to be my favorites of the year.

Back
Top Bottom