Official Winter Classic thread Vol Flyers vs Rangers

Great game, haven't been into a hockey game like that in years. Loved the jerseys we rocked tonight too. Some BS penalties at the end, couldn't believe it

Wore my Richter jersey from 95 or so in honor of the win to my game tonight. It is the third jersey by CCM with the statue of liberty...pretty awesome

If any sport could use some bandwagoners it's hockey. This whole event is basically marketing to get new fans. It's so epic. They did such a good job

So any idea of whom will play in next years game? Who would you guys like to see? I personally would like to see Chicago play in it, but as the visiting team. There is no such thing as home ice in the WC.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

So any idea of whom will play in next years game? Who would you guys like to see? I personally would like to see Chicago play in it, but as the visiting team. There is no such thing as home ice in the WC.
I'm hearing rumors that it's going to be in DC.  Either in the Nats stadium...or...wait for it....

on the National Mall.... 
eek.gif

natl_mall.jpg

Don't know how the latter would be possible when considering seating, but if the NHL can pull this off....oh boy
pimp.gif

I would love a BlackHawks vs Wild game here in the new Target Field.. This place would be ROCKING! MN IS the state of hockey ...
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Id def be in attendance if that does happen...

We had weather in the high 70's, and low 80's new year's weekend, so it wouldn't work in L.A. 
laugh.gif

But I still would like to see a coast to coast game. 

Maybe Winter Classic at AT&T Park in San Francisco between the Kings and Sharks 
pimp.gif

Chicago could get it but it would probably have to be against Detroit.
Hawks, Caps, Red Wings, Sabres, Penguins, Rangers, Bruins, and the Flyers are NBC's hockey teams
laugh.gif
 so it seems.

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

Chicago could get it but it would probably have to be against Detroit.
Hawks, Caps, Red Wings, Sabres, Penguins, Rangers, Bruins, and the Flyers are NBC's hockey teams
laugh.gif
 so it seems.

Of course.  
Does NBC know that there are other teams?  
laugh.gif

Either Detroit or Minnesota will host next year IMO.  

I don't think the casual fan is going to tune in to see Minnesota. No offense. Can't really sell Mikko Koivu and the rest of the Wild to a national audience. Yea, it's a cold weather city....but there is no draw. FOR NOW, it's gotta be an original 6 team or a team with established superstars.

I just don't see a Winter Classic game ever happening in California, hell California doesn't even get winter. I had the central air on yesterday as I watched the game.
laugh.gif

I can see Detroit hosting it, but I doubt the league would match the Hawks up against the Wings again, maybe in a few years. Minnesota makes a lot of sense especially with Target Field being the no-brainer venue. DoubleJs07 is probably right though. Maybe a Blues - Blackhawks Winter Classic?

DJs...do you think it's cold enough in DC to have it? i know it's cold, but you need somewhat extended periods of it. maybe it is...i cant remember back to college when i lived down there. i was there a few weeks ago though and it wasn't that cold.

national mall would be INSANE though to have it right by the monuments

FIRST B0RN wrote:
According to Hockey Night In Canada's Elliotte Friedman, the proposed Winter Classic schedule is as follows:
  • 2013: Detroit (at Comerica Park or UM's Big House)
  • 2014: Washington
  • 2015: New York (at Yankee Stadium, as the Pinstripe Bowl contract expires)
Personally, I think a Wings vs. Leafs game at the Big House would be epic.

38615_147280518617081_147279701950496_430577_7031323_n.jpg

tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400.gif
 NHL 

also on the exposure thing... If you truly look at it.. There are only a select few players that people can name .. For those who dont follow hockey-  Ie: Crosby ( 
frown.gif
 ) & Ovie

A Hawks v Wild game would have Toews. Mikko. Heatley. Kane. Hossa. Schultz. Keith. etc etc.... As long as its a Close & Good game . Just like This yrs game was.. Itll serve the NHL well...

And also, MN could sell out 2 stadiums if a Winter classic came here 
laugh.gif
 Like i said this place would be rocking ..

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

According to Hockey Night In Canada's Elliotte Friedman, the proposed Winter Classic schedule is as follows:
  • 2013: Detroit (at Comerica Park or UM's Big House)
  • 2014: Washington
  • 2015: New York (at Yankee Stadium, as the Pinstripe Bowl contract expires)
Personally, I think a Wings vs. Leafs game at the Big House would be epic.

pimp.gif

idk. I just don't see Minny getting selected. (as much as i think it would be great).
NBC really picks the teams and they are all about money and ratings. since they are american no canadian teams will ever get picked.

that's why i think it's an endless cycle of Washington, Rangers, Flyers, Pens, Detroit, Bruins and the Hawks. I think the Avalanche could get a game since they are known outside of the hockey world and has a good market.

again  JMO

A game at the Big House would be awesome.

I know it's difficult because there's only 7 Canadian teams, but I would like to see more of the Heritage Classic games in Canada. The only problem is that most Canadian cities lack the big outside stadiums the NHL would want.

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

I think the Avalanche could get a game since they are known outside of the hockey world and has a good market.
again  JMO

I can see the league matching the Wings against the Avalanche since the two already share a rivalry. It would serve as a great back story for the casual fan to get into.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

DJs...do you think it's cold enough in DC to have it? i know it's cold, but you need somewhat extended periods of it. maybe it is...i cant remember back to college when i lived down there. i was there a few weeks ago though and it wasn't that cold.

national mall would be INSANE though to have it right by the monuments
With the wind chill today, %@%* was in the single digits....

Weather here in Dec/Jan is hit or miss.  Funny thing is, temps are going to be close to 60 on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom