Official Warriors Season Thread

Warriors' big shot Azubuike

BALL IS IN GOOD HANDS WITH GAME ON THE LINE

By Geoff Lepper
Bay Area News Group

Article Launched: 12/22/2007 01:39:57 AM PST

NEW YORK - According to Warriors forward Mickael Pietrus, all you need to know about a player's ability to make a winning shot can be found in his eyes: "When you look in Kobe's eyes, you see he's going to beat you," Pietrus said. "When you look in Buke's eyes, all you see is Buke."

Pietrus was kidding teammate Kelenna Azubuike with the comparison to Lakers star Kobe Bryant for the benefit of media at Friday's practice. But if opponents look closely at Azubuike these days, they're likely to see a cold-blooded shooter who just launched a three-pointer to help clinch a Warriors victory.

In his past 11 games, Azubuike is shooting 51.7 percent from the field, including 43.5 percent on three-pointers, and he has begun making a habit of ending opponents' hopes for victory.

Azubuike made his first NBA winner Nov. 24, sinking a three-pointer with 6.8 seconds remaining to put the Warriors up for good in a 100-98 overtime victory at Philadelphia. Since then, he hasn't needed to come up with a similar piece of last-minute magic, but Azubuike has remained a clutch performer in the final period.

His three-pointer against Memphis on Monday with 2:09 remaining put Golden State ahead by nine points and iced a 125-117 victory. Wednesday in Minnesota, Azubuike delivered a near carbon copy, hitting a three-pointer with 2:47 left to help stamp out a Timberwolves rally that had trimmed a 14-point deficit to eight.
"I'm not surprised, because he's in a spot-up situation, and if a guy comes off (to double-team another Warrior), that's what he's supposed to do," Warriors Coach Don Nelson said. "He's a confident guy when he gets his shot, and we encourage him to take it."
To Azubuike's way of thinking, his success is an outgrowth of the Warriors' egalitarianism when it comes to shots. Every locker room in the NBA is filled with guys who will tell you they have confidence in teammates with the game on the line, but Azubuike's success makes it clear that the Warriors are living by that credo, not just talking it up.

"A lot of times, the only guys who can take shots in those situations are your All-Stars and all that," Azubuike said.

When Azubuike started the Warriors' first seven games in place of suspended Stephen Jackson, he was getting to the free-throw line more often, creating his own offense off the dribble as Golden State tried to get on track. Now that Jackson is back, giving the Warriors' passing ability a boost, Azubuike is settling into the role of a three-point shooter, trolling the wings to give Jackson and Baron Davis an outlet to make opponents pay for committing too early to double-teams.

"We definitely, of course, look for Baron and Jack in those situations, and they kind of make the plays," Azubuike said. "If I hit those shots, I got it from those guys, when they were double-teamed. So it's basically them making the right plays. Hopefully, whoever they pass it to, it's a good shot and they knock the shot down."

laugh.gif
@ Pietrus's comment

Whats up all?

Well, that game was not the best to watch, in my opinion is was pretty horrific.

Didnt get the lead for (Not sure the exact amount) 3 quarters since 0-2 in the beginning can never be good.

Didnt get good shots off, wrong timing, and I'm sure Nellie knows best, but this time it did not seem so.
Putting Matt Barnes, Pietrus, and whoever in at dire situations didnt seem such a good idea considering they make bone-headplays.

Well, I think the Warriors should always play with a "We need this game" mentality instead of "Wow, we'vewon so many already".
All in all, I hope we get a win against the Cavs, nice to get revenge on them after having them beat us off our home court inthe beginning of the year.
Funniest moment = Al Harrington holding the ball for 10 seconds and appearing as if he were frozen while everybody was runningaround
laugh.gif

Game at 3pm tomorrow guys! Let's go Golden State Warriors!

Cavs game is gonna be tough playin for a 2nd straight day, i'm not getting my hopes up but hopefully the W's pull it out
happy.gif

Yeah hopefully the Warriors can pull out a win vs the Cavs. Going to be tough. We're going to have trouble with their bigs. It's going to be an eventougher game if we come out flat like we have been doing the past few games. We need to get on the offensive and put the pressure on them to keep up with us,not keep the game close and hope to win it in the 4th quarter.

I didn't comment too much on the game today vs the Nets on account I had a huge headache but now it's gone haha. One thing I didn't like was thatwe were outrebounded by 19. If we had that cut down to like 10 or something, this game would have been ours. We had too many silly mistakes that eventuallycost us. Ugly game overall, we did not deserve to win this one. New Jersey played horrible too, they didn't deserve to win this either but they playedbetter basketball in the last 2 minutes of the game.

And who the hell is Josh Boone?! I know who he is, I'm just saying that we made him look like an all-star out there. 19 points, 13 boards, on 7-12shooting?! C'mon Warriors, I know we're not that good of a defensive ballclub but letting nobodies having career games against us is like what happenedvs San Antonio where Matt Bonner had a huge game, then Portland where Przybilla had a huge game against us. Now Josh Boone?! Arrgghhh! I'm getting tired ofthis. We did this garbage last year, too
smh.gif

all these slow starts outta the gate is getting REAL old REAL fast. Nellie needs to switch up the line-ups or do SOMETHING. Even though monta has been money,maybe he should be coming off the bench again to bring some life and allow baron to dominate the other team's PG full time. another thing they can work onis sharing the damn ball! there's been wayyyyy toooo much one on one going on. It's pretty obvious if sjax has the ball, he's either gonna: shootit 88% of the time, travel 5% of the time, or maybe just pass the ball for the other 7% of the time!
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

heres to hopping they do something different vs. the cavs. LETS GO WARRIORS!

Yesterday's game was hard to watch. There were just so many mistakes. They need to get the ball into Baron's hands at the end of the game. First time,Harrington got a offensive foul, then next tried to give it to Barnes, and he didn't catch it, and went out of bounds. Baron was making plays in the 4th,and they need to get him the ball. Hopefully they can bounce back today. Go Warriors!

^agreed. final 2-3 minutes. give baron the ball. jax just has to realize he's not as great a playmaker as baron. i grow sick and tired of the constantchucking and horrible decision making he has at times. i know both have been shooting horrendously lately, but i'd much rather the ball in baron's5/16 hands than jax's 4/18 anyday.

Another winning road trip. Best road record in years. Warriors still haven't lose 2 straight since the 0-6 streak. Good to see we always come back strongafter a loss.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

koolaid5b.jpg

Last 4 games for year 2007:
[table][tr][td]Wed 26[/td] [td] vs Minnesota [/td] [td] 7:30pm[/td] [td] FSBayPlus[/td] [td]
broadcast_NBATV.gif
, RTV[/td] [td] 680[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Fri 28[/td] [td] vs Denver [/td] [td] 7:30pm[/td] [td] FSBayPlus[/td] [td]
broadcast_NBALP.gif
[/td] [td] 680[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Sun 30[/td] [td] @ Denver [/td] [td] 5:00pm[/td] [td] FSBay[/td] [td]
broadcast_NBALP.gif
[/td] [td] 680[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Mon 31[/td] [td] @ Houston [/td] [td] 4:00pm[/td] [td] FSBayHD[/td] [td]
broadcast_NBALP.gif
[/td] [td] KNBR 680[/td] [/tr][/table]
Let's end the Dec with another winning month.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Good win by the W's. I'm glad that they took out the Cavs...I cannot stand them. I still don't understand why the Suns and Lakers are playing onChristmas day. What is the deal! Please if you want to see an exciting game, let's see some W's and Suns action on Christmas day!

Lakers and Suns have recent history and can be considered "rivals" thanks to the Kobe/Raja battle.

Speaking of the Lakers, can they start losing already? They're playing out of their minds this season and I can't really explain it.

pimp.gif
yes i predicted it right, cept it was a blowout in our favor! well sorta. the score obviously isn't as close as it looks.

9 road wins already =
pimp.gif

gotta try to take both the Minnesota and Denver games at home, cuz the next 3 road games are gonna be TOUGH

see what happens when we come out strong?! i hate watching us dig a hole and trying to climb out of it every damn night (see NJ game); it's frustrating.

but damn, we came right outta the gates shooting lights out.

great win.

screw the savior. i was witness to an#!%+ kicking today.

I am bored out of my mind right now... Is there a way that I can watch a replay of the Cavs/Warriors game from Sunday online? I missed the game yesterday. Idon't have OnDemand either
ohwell.gif
frown.gif
embarassed.gif

Yeah the Lakers are playing out of their minds...I thought the W's only made Andrew Bynum look like a dominant big man but he actually is playing well.Haha, darnit. It's alright. I was looking at the standings and realizing that the Jazz are struggling and the Blazers winning is really interesting. TheHornets too are also tearing it up...But it's still early, as long as the W's finish December above .500 they will be good. It's great to see theW's above .500 right now. Merry Christmas to all Warrior fans! Any of you guys remember when Sam Mack and Jim Jackson were one time Warriors? Haha.Hilarious. (Random I know)

^ Haha random indeed. I totally forgot about Sam Mack.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to my fellow Warrior fans.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

^That was real cool for Stack Jack doing that. Those kids had a great Christmas this year...Last week, I was in Target out here in Sac and Ron Artest was inthe toy section buying a whole aisle of toys for charities he was part of. He was a cool cat.

Back
Top Bottom