Official Warriors Season Thread

No one is really talking about it yet, but I have this feeling that if T-Hud doesn't fill in for Baron the way the Warriors need him to, they'll wantto make a move or two to a) find that formidable backup and b) get some damn rebounding help.

Anybody up for some speculation?

Warrior World: Crazy, beautiful and dangerous basketball
Adande

By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 7, 2007

The J.A. Adande Lounge: Barnes Plays On

OAKLAND -- Think about what life would be like if the world operated under the same principles as the Golden State Warriors. Hot fudge sundaes would be nutritious and help you lose weight. Whale-sized sport-utility vehicles would get 50 miles per gallon. "I Love New York" would be up for an Emmy.

The thing about the Warriors is they make no sense. Basketball at the professional level isn't supposed to work this way. In the mixed-up Warrior World, one-on-four pull-up jump shots are encouraged, not punished; a player who has been suspended six times is a source of inspiration and stability; and guys called Mully and Nellie are considered the masterminds of the operation.

The same blueprint that created the greatest playoff upset in NBA history has been rolled out again, and it has turned the Warriors into one of the league's hottest teams. They are the single greatest argument for ordering League Pass (and, for you East Coasters, picking up a case of Red Bull).

In Nellie's system, players don't have to worry about making the shot -- they can just fire away.
If you've been watching them, you've seen the most entertaining squad in the league. And maybe you have come to the same realization I have: There's nothing you can do to stop their style. You know how you don't want to fight a crazy guy, because you don't know what he is going to do? The same thought applies here. If the Warriors are going to shoot the first 25-footer they see, is there really any way to defend against it?

Take general manager Chris Mullin's explanation for how small ball can work.

On defense, "They can throw it in the post, we can go double and get it out of that guy's hands," Mullin said.

But at the other end, with a bunch of small players spreading the floor …

"If you're a big guy, what do you do?" Mullin said. "You're going to come get me, then you're leaving somebody open by the basket."

What you see is a lot of freedom," Davis said. "You see everybody has an opportunity to be themselves.

Spend enough time around these guys, and it starts to make sense.

"It's a lot more organized than what it seems," Baron Davis said.

It starts with rule No. 1 from coach Don Nelson: Shoot the ball.

"He actually said, 'Don't worry about making it,'" Austin Croshere said. "You have to take that shot in order to get the defense to extend to open things up. It's within certain parts of our offense. To get the ball into the corner, you have to get that guy out there."

With an open floor, Davis or Stephen Jackson or Monta Ellis can drive by his man and get to the hoop. Andris Biedrins has room to score inside. He's not much of a true low-post option, so their inside-out game can come from the guard's penetration. They can suck in defenders and throw it back out for another 3-pointer -- the Warriors attempt a league-high 27 per game.

On Monday night against the Orlando Magic, Jackson took at least three shots that would get him benched on most squads. Warriors in transition, defenders back, no teammates inside the 3-point arc -- and Jackson just launched. No repercussions at all. Not even a dirty look.

"It's like playing at the YMCA," Jackson said. "You play your best game when you're not looking over your shoulder."

I asked Nelson what he considers a bad shot. "One that doesn't go in," he said.

"What you see is a lot of freedom," Davis said. "You see everybody has an opportunity to be themselves.

"You come to this team, there's two things you're going to do: You're going to play hard, and you're going to have fun. That's what we do, and it shows out there on the floor."

They're having fun in the stands, too. The Warriors always provide one of the best arena experiences in the league, with a live band playing mellow Mary J. Blige and Michael Jackson tunes before tipoff, good tunes mixed in during the game and fans who do their part by cheering the hustle plays just as loudly as the big dunks.

And now the product matches the production. Mullin has done a good job of shedding the long-term, expensive contracts of Mike Dunleavy, Derek Fisher and Troy Murphy, while getting the right mix of players for this system, including guys who were unwanted or unsuccessful elsewhere. Matt Barnes' scoring average doubled last season, his first with the Warriors. Jackson got a fresh start after a tenure with the Indiana Pacers that was most notable for his throwing punches in the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills and firing shots in the air after an altercation at a strip club.

The Warriors are a much better team when Jackson is on the court.
Jackson is proof nothing -- not prime real estate, not precious metals -- appreciates in value like a championship ring for a player who moves on. On the next team, that ring will translate into either an overpriced contract or Godfather-level respect. When the Warriors signed Derek Fisher for $36 million over six years in 2004, it was an example of the former. Jackson is an example of the latter. He was the biggest question mark on the San Antonio Spurs' championship squad in 2003. You never knew if you would get a 3-pointer or a turnover from him.

With the Warriors, he's a source of inspiration. He plays with confidence, and it spreads.

"The guys on my team know that, the best player on their team, I'm going to make him work," Jackson said.

The Warriors were 1-6 while he served a seven-game suspension for the shooting incident. Since he returned, they're 9-2. Going back to the end of last season, the Warriors have won 25 of their past 32 regular-season games in which Jackson has played.

The key phrase there is "regular season." As dramatic as their first-round victory over the top-seeded Dallas Mavericks was, the Utah Jazz's disciplined approach won out in the Western Conference semifinals. The Phoenix Suns are the only team playing a style similar to that of the Warriors, and their Steve Nash-led group hasn't reached the NBA Finals. No team coached by Nelson has, either.

Everyone's waiting for the percentages to catch up with the Warriors. Take enough outside shots, and eventually, you'll miss the majority of them. Go with a small lineup, and you'll sacrifice rebounds. Last year's magical run almost didn't happen; the Warriors didn't clinch a playoff spot until the last game of the season.

"We were an eighth seed," Mullin said. "But if we get in, we're dangerous."

They're the crazy guys. You don't take them that seriously at first. But you don't really want to mess with them.

J.A. Adande joined ESPN.com as an NBA columnist in August 2007 after 10 years with the Los Angeles Times. Click here to e-mail J.A.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Warriors-071207

Originally Posted by Bastitch

No one is really talking about it yet, but I have this feeling that if T-Hud doesn't fill in for Baron the way the Warriors need him to, they'll want to make a move or two to a) find that formidable backup and b) get some damn rebounding help.

Anybody up for some speculation?
It could happen. I wouldn't rule anything out. Pietrus is a guy I'd like to trade. I know we tried this last season, but ehh, teams like NewJersey or Miami might be unloading their talent pretty soon
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Who the hell is going to want Troy Hudson?
Who the hell wanted Smush?! Who the hell wanted Foyle?! Trust me, someone's going to want Hudson...

laugh.gif
but I see what you're saying though. There are teams that'll want Hudson but not really want to give up anything for him.

^ yup. i think that if we throw in POB and/or pietrus, then someone will take hudson. i wouldn't mind trying to get rid of perovic or mbenga either, but ifwe got rid of mbenga then we'd either need POB to get more time or find a suitable big man, which would be hard to do.

I love the article Adande wrote on ESPN. I love our style of play and the passion our team has...no one would want to draw us in the playoffs.

With that said huge game on Sunday vs LA...

The crowd was bonkers in the Heat's game. I had to stand for the final six minutes because nobody wanted to sit down. D-Wade got some fouls called thatonly D-Wade gets. They showed about two of them where no one touched him on the screen and the whole crowd booed like crazy. Also, it was the first I heardpeople asking if people had extra tickets to sell instead of the scalpers (I guess they were charging way too high).

Warriors' Belinelli sits again

Geoff Lepper
Bay Area News Group

Article Launched: 12/08/2007 01:39:05 AM PST

Belinelli won't consider D-League assignment

Warriors rookie guard Marco Belinelli was inactive for Friday's game against the Miami Heat, the sixth consecutive contest he's watched from the bench in street clothes. The No. 18 pick in this summer's draft has played just 61 seconds in the Warriors' last nine games.

But even though Warriors Coach Don Nelson said that "it wouldn't hurt (Belinelli) to go down and play a bunch of games" with the Bakersfield Jam, Golden State's affiliate in the NBA Development League, the 21-year-old is firmly against that plan.

"I don't want to go, because I think that I am an NBA player," Belinelli said. "I think that I can play at this level, and I want to be here, to work with my teammates. We have a beautiful group and I'm part of it."

It's hard to see how Belinelli can improve quickly without getting some game experience, regardless of the level. So far, however, the team is not pushing the issue.

"I think it's a sense of pride with him," Nelson said. "Actually, he can get as much done here. He's a good practice player, he loves to play in the gym, so he does his work here."

In practice, Belinelli has shown good range from all points on the court. In games, he's gone 8-for-25 (22.9 percent) from the floor and was 1-for-9 during his last game with significant playing time, Nov. 21 in Boston.

In the meantime, Belinelli's teammates are trying to do their part maintaining his spirit.

I really wouldn't blame him too much, him being an international star would really feel like a demotion heading to the D-League....But again, he has toimprove in order to gain some P.T. Stop standing in the corner waiting to launch a three.

Originally Posted by MJDaLegend

Warriors' Belinelli sits again

Geoff Lepper
Bay Area News Group

Article Launched: 12/08/2007 01:39:05 AM PST

Belinelli won't consider D-League assignment

Warriors rookie guard Marco Belinelli was inactive for Friday's game against the Miami Heat, the sixth consecutive contest he's watched from the bench in street clothes. The No. 18 pick in this summer's draft has played just 61 seconds in the Warriors' last nine games.

But even though Warriors Coach Don Nelson said that "it wouldn't hurt (Belinelli) to go down and play a bunch of games" with the Bakersfield Jam, Golden State's affiliate in the NBA Development League, the 21-year-old is firmly against that plan.

"I don't want to go, because I think that I am an NBA player," Belinelli said. "I think that I can play at this level, and I want to be here, to work with my teammates. We have a beautiful group and I'm part of it."

It's hard to see how Belinelli can improve quickly without getting some game experience, regardless of the level. So far, however, the team is not pushing the issue.

"I think it's a sense of pride with him," Nelson said. "Actually, he can get as much done here. He's a good practice player, he loves to play in the gym, so he does his work here."

In practice, Belinelli has shown good range from all points on the court. In games, he's gone 8-for-25 (22.9 percent) from the floor and was 1-for-9 during his last game with significant playing time, Nov. 21 in Boston.

In the meantime, Belinelli's teammates are trying to do their part maintaining his spirit.

interesting read, it's definitely a pride thing, who wants to go get relegated to the minors, especially a guy who last year was the star on his team.also, why wouldn't you want to be around the warriors right now, looks like they havin hella fun, even the guys at the end of the bench

and I agree with Nellie, Marcopolo can improve just as much staying on the team, even as a benchwarmer. in practice he'll be playing against NBA talentand he can go all out there, plus just spend that alone time in the gym putting up jays, time in the weight room, etc, his time will come. haha I remember hisfirst couple minutes in a real game, NO CONSCIENCE shots everytime he saw daylight

oh yeah, also it seems like most of the kids up here for school are laker fans, so uh basically we hafta scrape em

From what I remember, Marco's shots didnt' miss by much. He just needs to get used to the speed of the game and improve his footwork on defense. Heshould be fine.

Gah! I went to a friend's birthday party on the 7th, but definitely glad we got the win.

Heard the game was absolutely spectacular. Trailing down by Xpts and got the W = amazing!

Hey if anyone actually found vids of the game or short clips, could ya post? I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, today 12/9/07 @ Staples arena, I'd love for the Warriors to get a win for my birthday.

Correction.. If someone wants DJ MBenga, then anyone can get a job in the NBA.
laugh.gif

Man, yall are killing it out there recently. Only a game behind Mavs (don't expect it to stay that way, I feel a 10-15 win streak for the Mavericks
nerd.gif
),and yall aren't slowing down. I can't wait to see how you guys do Tuesday against the Spurs.

Originally Posted by gusyouout

^ yup. i think that if we throw in POB and/or pietrus, then someone will take hudson. i wouldn't mind trying to get rid of perovic or mbenga either, but if we got rid of mbenga then we'd either need POB to get more time or find a suitable big man, which would be hard to do.

man i hope we don't get rid of pietrus. he is relatively cheap to hang onto, and he is hilarious. he's afriggin goofball. even when he got bapped in the nose i couldn't stop laughing at him. just hopefully he doesn't eff it up in big games or do stupidthings such as run out of bounds with the ball.
but perovic can go, i don't mind that..

on another note-- it's been good to see barnes knowing his role again. the first few games he was trying to do to much and just hella failed at it..
although it is still scary to see action jackson try to play point guard

I don't mean to be a hater, but I just don't think that the Mavs are good enough to run off 10-15 straight, especially playing against mostly WesternConference teams. There are very few easy nights in the NBA.

Originally Posted by Hollow Point Guard415

Tonight is a true test for the warriors........

Word. And then, we go up against the Spurs on Tuesday? These next couple games are about to be tough. Let's go, Nelly-ball!

I'd be satisfied if the Warriors won one out of the next two. Hopefully they win two, but I'd be satisfied with one.

Back
Top Bottom