Official Warriors Offseason Thread --> PLEASE LOCK.

After calming down a bit, I can get with this.

Warrior fans will forget all about Ellison if Lacob makes a splash with the hiring of a strong GM/Coaching tandem.

he said a lot of good things during the Q&A. Even though it's not Ellison like everyone wanted, I'm happy to know our owner is a basketball fan.

Here's to you mr. Lacob--make us relevant again!

its cool that he's a local guy (menlo park).. cohan is out so its should be a time of celebration i guess

So you guys think Nelson is done?
nerd.gif

I really don't mind if Nelson returns next season. As much as I dislike him, I don't see anybody else doing that much better with this time. It's just not built to be that successful.

Cant believe lacob bought the team. I used to play ball with his kid. He was convinced his kid was gonna be a superstar so he built a gym in their backyard
sick.gif

I hope he can analyze talent of NBA players and coaches better than he can of his own kid.

sportsguy33 PS: I love GSW fans, they deserve a winner. This should be a truly happy day for you guys. Huge market + great fans. Now you have a chance.
2 minutes ago

^^^ Bill Simmons followed that up with "PS: I love GSW fans, they deserve a winner. This should be a truly happy day for you guys. Huge market + great fans. Now you have a chance." You can't ask for more than a guy that loves the game of basketball owning the team.

Ellison Out, Lacob-Guber New Warriors Owners
[img]http://platformic-common.s3.amazonaws.com/global_images/icons/recommends.png[/img]
CSNBayArea.com
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison will not be the next owner of the Golden State Warriors. A potential deal between Ellison’s consortium, which includes the current Warriors’ minority ownership group, fell through, according to a source close to the negotiations.

"Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else.  In my experience this is a bit unusual.  Nonetheless, I wish the Warriors and their fans nothing but success under their new ownership," Ellison said in a statement released Thursday.

The next owner of the Warriors will be a group led by Joe Lacob, a minority owner of the Boston Celtics, and Mandalay Entertainment CEO Peter Guber. Lacob will be the front man for the group. http://

Although initial reports indicate the purchase price as $450 million, a source close to the process said the actual sales price could reach as high as $460 million.

Lacob told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area in the late afternoon that he didn't want to get into specifics regarding the final sales price.

That figure shatters the previous NBA record of $401 million for the Phoenix Suns in 2004. Forbes valued the Warriors at $319 million in 2009.

"I am incredibly excited to have the opportunity to be the next steward of this storied NBA franchise. This is my dream come true," Lacob said in a press release. "Peter and I intend to do what we do best-- innovating and building. It is our passion to return the Warriors to greatness and build nothing short of a championship organization that will make all of us in the Bay Area proud."

Said Guber: "I look forward and appreciate the opportunity to help make the future of the Golden State Warriors franchise become an even greater story to tell."

The $49 million difference in price between what the Suns sold for and what the Warriors sold for doesn’t tell the whole story, however. Included in the price of the Suns were America West Arena, the Phoenix Mercury of the WNBA and the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League.

In the Warriors’ sale, Lacob and Guber will own the team’s downtown offices in Oakland, but will have to incur debt on Oracle Arena.

There was no immediate word on the fates of Warriors team president Robert Rowell, general manager Larry Riley and coach Don Nelson. However, reports that Riley and Nelson are being bought out of their contracts -- at least at this time -- are erroneous.

According to various sources, Lacob has been interested in buying a professional sports team for several years, and has been a part of negotiations to purchase other teams in past.

It is not known when Lacob formed his partnership with Guber. Lacob became a partner in the Celtics ownership in 2006. He will have to sell his interest in the Celtics.

Lacob is a partner at the Silicon Valley venture capital firm Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield, & Byers, one of the most respected and successful in the world. According to his bio on the KPCB company Web site, he received his Bachelor's in Biological Sciences from the University of California at Irvine, his Master's in Public Health from UCLA and his M.B.A. from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. He has been with the firm since 1987.

Lacob serves on Stanford Advisory Boards of the Medical Center, Business School, and Athletic Department.

Guber has been a fixture in the entertainment industry for more than 30 years. He has personally produced or executive produced Rain Man, Batman, The Color Purple, Midnight Express, Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey, The Witches of Eastwick, Missing and Flashdance.

Guber owns and/or operates through MSE’s subsidiary Mandalay Baseball Properties, the following professional teams: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees, a Triple-A affiliate of the New York Yankees; the Frisco RoughRiders, a Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers; the Dayton Dragons, a Single-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds; the Erie SeaWolves, a Double-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers and the Staten Island Yankees, a Single-A affiliate of the New York Yankees.

Chris Cohan, who hired Galatioto Sports Partners to represent him in the sale of the team in March, purchased the Warriors for $119 million in 1995.

"As I conclude my tenure as owner of the Warriors, I wanted to take this opportunity to express my sincerest gratitude, and to personally say thank you to the ‘best fans in all of sports,"  Cohan said in a statement.  "It’s a phrase that is too often utilized by players, coaches, executives and owners in all sports leagues, but I can say without reservation and unbridled conviction that Warriors fans have earned the sole right of that honor and distinction.  Thank you for making Golden State Warriors basketball the incredible fan experience that it has become."

The sale still will need to be approved by the NBA Board of Governors. That's expected to be a formality.
Read more: Ellison Out, Lacob-Guber New Warriors Owners
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

Call me naive but I think it's Ellison's fault he's not owning the team. I don't think he believed the Warriors would sell as high as it did and when he got word that it was going to sell at $450 million his bid was too late to be considered. Either way, it's a good day that Cohen is no longer the owner.
He outbid him, but Cohan didn't want to sell to Ellison.  Ellison was doomed from the start.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Cant believe lacob bought the team. I used to play ball with his kid. He was convinced his kid was gonna be a superstar so he built a gym in their backyard
sick.gif

or maybe he built a gym in his backyard because he's a multi millionaire?

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

this org. is so lucky to have such loyal fans
smh.gif
I swear, prior to 2007, I probably knew five Warrior fans, now people are saying they've been fans
smh.gif
(Not directed to any of you).

[h1]Nelson Hopes To Remain With Warriors[/h1]
Jul 15, 2010 9:35 PM EST

Nelson_Don_gsw.jpg
With the Warriors sold, speculation has begun about whether Don Nelson will coach next season. He is due $6 million regardless of whether or not he is retained.

"I'd love to coach next year," said Nelson.

Nelson has yet to speak with the franchise's new owners.

"If I have to be a part of the change, I will understand."

Via Marc Stein/ESPN (via Twitter)

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi..._hopes_to_remain_with_warriors/#ixzz0to2tfQ7b

Originally Posted by daprescription

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

Call me naive but I think it's Ellison's fault he's not owning the team. I don't think he believed the Warriors would sell as high as it did and when he got word that it was going to sell at $450 million his bid was too late to be considered. Either way, it's a good day that Cohen is no longer the owner.
He outbid him, but Cohan didn't want to sell to Ellison.  Ellison was doomed from the start.
From the reports coming out, it's as if Ellison played this like a eBay auction.  He wanted to come in at the last possible moment to outbid the highest bidder so he could get the best deal available.  Unfortunately, the time ran out and the auction was over when he bidded.

Brian Shaw would love to have ANY head coaching job.

Let's not forget Cleveland turned him down.

Back
Top Bottom