Official Supreme Thread; F/W14; FAQ ON PG 1; vol. End of F/W Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noob here, can someone explain why Supreme in London and Japan is so much more expensive? For example the ceramic plate is $24 GBP but if I remember correctly it's only $30-32 USD.

I will be visiting the London store on this Wednesday. But do they drop new releases every Thursday at 11am?

Noob here, can someone explain why Supreme in London and Japan is so much more expensive? For example the ceramic plate is $24 GBP but if I remember correctly it's only $30-32 USD.

I will be visiting the London store on this Wednesday. But do they drop new releases every Thursday at 11am?
I believe its more expensive in those countries because its an imported product. Its domestic in the US so the prices are cheaper (as in they are an american company, not necessarily saying its manufactured in the US). For example Bape in Japan is cheaper there than in the US. As for the weekly drops you are correct they release at 11am on thursdays

^IDK about Japan but there are two major difference in the UK. It is called Value Added Tax. For those who dont know what that is, in lay man's terms, someone gets taxed every time they do an activity that adds value to the product. Get the raw materials? Tax! Process the denim? Tax! Make the clothes? Tax! Ship it? Tax!

basically you have a ridiculous amount of built in taxes by the time it gets to the store and guess who the manufacturers are charging for that?

If you don't live in a country with VAT then at the end of the year your tax is based on your revenue minus total expenses.

^IDK about Japan but there are two major difference in the UK. It is called Value Added Tax. For those who dont know what that is, in lay man's terms, someone gets taxed every time they do an activity that adds value to the product. Get the raw materials? Tax! Process the denim? Tax! Make the clothes? Tax! Ship it? Tax!

basically you have a ridiculous amount of built in taxes by the time it gets to the store and guess who the manufacturers are charging for that?

If you don't live in a country with VAT then at the end of the year your tax is based on your revenue minus total expenses.

Sort of how it happens in Japan as well from my understanding

Anyone know where I can get the supreme matador t shirt in black size L? Been looking for a while can't find it would've even copped off project blitz but no size for me :frown: #supNt fam appreciate it!

I've been looking for that in an XL for myself any color may just bite the bullet and get it from blitz.

yes- 20% VAT on almost all merchandise in the UK. Almost all European countries implement VAT at around the same rate.  Most UK/EU webshops will deduct VAT for buyers with non-resident billing addresses. 

I like the Pettibon stuff.  Watching that video... it's been about 20 years since I have heard 'Nervous Breakdown.'  I think that I still have the tape around here somewhere. 

Yup the second difference I ASSUME is purchasing power parity. Im not to familiar with it myself but you can look it up. Best I can explain is:

1 GPB = 1.6~ USD however 1.6 USD is more powerful than 1 GBP. That's why an item on the McDonald's menu cost more than the extra 20% vat in England despite not costing much more to make.

The definition of PPP according to worldbank.org

Purchasing power parity conversion factor is the number of units of a country's currency required to buy the same amount of goods and services in the domestic market as a U.S. dollar would buy in the United States. The ratio of PPP conversion factor to market exchange rate is the result obtained by dividing the PPP conversion factor by the market exchange rate. The ratio, also referred to as the national price level, makes it possible to compare the cost of the bundle of goods that make up gross domestic product (GDP) across countries. It tells how many dollars are needed to buy a dollar's worth of goods in the country as compared to the United States. PPP conversion factors are based on the 2011 ICP round.

Not well versed in the subject to know how they come to the conclusion that even tho x amount of dollars is equivalent to y amount of yen but somehow the x amount of dollars is still more powerful.

Its also why you sometimes hear that NYC is more expensive than London (for the necessities) from people who lived in both places but if you go online it will always say London is more expensive than NYC. People who lived in both take into consideration PPP. These websites dont.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys. I understand the economic theories but didn't know VAT is up to 20%.

Also, getting your VAT money back at the airport is a pain in the ***.

Screen_Shot_2014_09_16_at_15_01_01.png
10710813_10204189696839093_89701442073623732_n.jpg

Early pass when the list isn't out? I hope for a pass too cuz I need to save money. Haven't bought anything the last 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom