OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

I really think we will see every growth tech stock hit the 200 day. FAANG names probably won’t unless they were broken ahead of time, like FB, but the high growth ones have dates there. It just makes sense. That’s where the funds want to accumulate and they will continue dropping their bids to get things there.

easiest thing you guys who are new can do is go here
Pick your stock, and set bids good till canceled at the fib retracements and 200 day and accumulate that way. Make it robotic and keep yourselves in check. I wish I thought of this at the beginning of the correction tbh but I’m a degen.

It’s weird and random on the surface but it seems like he’s planning on integrating CashApp into tidal to tip/pay musicians. Tidal’s customers are also CashApp users typically so I think he’s just trying to connect and create an ecosystem and super app.

I want back in, hopefully lower.

That’s pretty smart actually. I agree it’s a random a buy. Jack must have seen something worth his time and money.

Still long on SQ, but the stock is priced for perfection right now, wish I would have trimmed my holding when it was in the $270s. Been DCAing into VTI, SCHD and SWPPX during this mini correction.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes some of the growth stocks to get back to their recent highs. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of these names become dead money for a few years.

Sold my SQ to Cathie smh

hopefully we get another forced flush tomorrow. Idk if we’re fully liquidated or not, we’ll see.

Couple of basic questions for those that have been here before Jan 2020.

1. Are corrections usually this big? Or are we in tech crash category? How often does a correction this big happen regardless of the market being overvalued? I'm assuming this is not an actual crash since the major indexes arent really affected much.

2. What type of strategies do you guys use to hedge for times like these? My SQQQ is still printing, but there's gotta be other ways outside of buying puts or shorting an index.

3. I know it's all perspective, but is holding really the key to winning? I sold everything except AAPL PINS SQ. Just my top 3 holdings with prices I entered in which I liked. I'm a long term investor, but there comes a point where you literally lose most of your 7+ months of profits in a span of 2-3 weeks. Feel for those that lost decades of 401k and withdrew in an actual crash. But this seems to be affecting only tech. So do u only win by holding for years?

Best hedge is cash or to be actively shorting. I like cheap put spreads but it’s not easy timing things.

historically speaking, stocks with great fundamentals will go up more than they go down. Like roku is 30% off the highs right now but it’s up 150% since October. The key to to just buy right and sit tight. Be patient for good entries or dca regularly and just let time work for you and ignore the gyrations. That’s something I need to get better at with my holdings. The only stock I don’t even worry about is apple and that’s because my wife forbade me from doing anything to it.

if you’re worried, you can trade around a core or hedge when things are looking iffy.

the main thing to stay safe though is avoiding margin. That **** will wipe out the whole market as it’s doing now.

If you're long, just step away and stop checking.
Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif
I calling “playing ostrich”. Just burry your head in the sand and wait till the it rolls past.... I haven't looked since Tuesday.

Couple of basic questions for those that have been here before Jan 2020.

1. Are corrections usually this big? Or are we in tech crash category? How often does a correction this big happen regardless of the market being overvalued? I'm assuming this is not an actual crash since the major indexes arent really affected much.

2. What type of strategies do you guys use to hedge for times like these? My SQQQ is still printing, but there's gotta be other ways outside of buying puts or shorting an index.

3. I know it's all perspective, but is holding really the key to winning? I sold everything except AAPL PINS SQ. Just my top 3 holdings with prices I entered in which I liked. I'm a long term investor, but there comes a point where you literally lose most of your 7+ months of profits in a span of 2-3 weeks. Feel for those that lost decades of 401k and withdrew in an actual crash. But this seems to be affecting only tech. So do u only win by holding for years?

1. You have to keep in mind that the 2020 rebound is not normal market movement to begin with so it follows the correction will be magnified as well. The extent to which its overvalued is the extent to which it will correct in an efficient market. They say the one thing that will always be true is the higher the price of an asset, the lower the long term gains will actually be. If you're entire portfolio is one sector, or based around an old story, when it turns, which it always will, you are going to feel it significantly more than the rest of the market or the indices. The indexes have been affected globally, everyone long is feelin it right now. They may not be feeling it as much as the popular names posted in here for the past 6-9 months but its def being felt. Whats going on right now is not as obvious as a worlwide pandemic or a global financial crisis. Theres no geopolitical events or terrorist attacks or bleak economic outlook. Nothings changed, the economy is set to boom if we are truly getting past covid. But that boom has already been priced in. Its crazy to think the country isnt even really open yet but the benefit to the market is already in the books and then some. Think about the relationship between tech and stay at home plays. Selling the news.

2. I think its just a matter of getting a feel for whats really going on with the markets. As I've been saying, the rise in rates has taken away any semblence of a justification for valuing these companies they way they've been. The big institutions and fund managers are not buying these names at anywhere near last weeks levels. They dont care about the story on your favorite name, they invest on numbers and the numbers have changed. You just need to gain some experience in recognizing things playing out, keep your ear to the street and recognizing how different things will effect equities. There are some winners out there. Look at oil and energy. Look at copper, commodities. Financials benefit from higher rates. Defensive names and names based on real economic output, not stay at home, shutdown, do stuff online economic activity. Industrials, materials. Look at DE, CAT, AA, FTAI, TKR, TX. Alot of that has changed this week as everythings been hit, but as the market came down from Feb ATHs they outperformed. Or dividend paying names like MMM that are flat over the last month. Airlines, hospitality and cruise lines have been running. Its not easy and very time consumming to constantly keep a beat on all aspects of the market but its all part of the dd of managing your own money and over time you learn what to look for.

3. For me personally Im not a fan of long term investing but I know it works for many people. I guess I just dont trust the market that much. As you said a crash can wipe you out when you need to start withdrawing. You really still need to know your stuff and plan an exit strategy for long term investing imo. All companies mature at some point, the investment runs its course at some point, they cant all grow to infinity. And then its like if you got a 10 year investment horizon, you're paying for 10 years worth of growth TODAY when you're buying names with triple digit p/e ratios and no dividends. Whether its long term or short term you gotta watch the trends and know your targets to take profits based on a defined strategy and knowledge of that particular business. If you bought MSFT 4 years ago you'd make more than if you held it over the previous 15 years. For me theres just too many variables in any particular business or segment of the market to be able to make those kind of predictions consistently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom