OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Reading up on KC right now. Looks undervalued but it's China. 41.90 could be a decent place for an entry.

Skip to content

Beth.Technology
Insider Analysis on Tech Stocks
Sidebar
Search this site
Search
About Beth Kindig
Beth Kindig has published over 900 articles in the last 8 years exclusively on technology and startups. She has held product marketing and developer evangelist roles at tech companies representing products in data, security, internet of things, connected cars, connected home, mobile, encryption, health care, and finance tech. Her articles have been featured in Venture Beat, MediaPost, AdExchanger, and the International Association of Privacy Professionals. She has written over 30 reports and whitepapers on enterprise technologies. She has been a speaker at Android Developers Conference, GamesBeat, Advertising Week NYC, Tech Week and more.
fox_logo-300x76.png
Yahoo_Finance_Logo-300x76.png
Browse by Category
Browse by Category Select Category AAPL | Apple Inc. (1) Elliott Wave Theory (1) Fundamental Analysis (100) Fundamental Updates (22) Glossary (1) GOOGL | Alphabet Inc. (3) LYFT | Lyft, Inc. (1) MDB | MongoDB, Inc. (1) MSFT | Microsoft Corporation (1) NVDA | NVIDIA Corporation (1) Research Services Preview (1) ROKU | Roku, Inc. (1) SNAP | Snap Inc. (2) Stock Analysis PDFs (49) Stock Updates (Blogs) (136) Technical Analysis (50) TTD | The Trade Desk, Inc. (1) UBER | Uber Technologies, Inc. (1) Uncategorized (1) Browse Recent Posts
Kingsoft Cloud (KC)
Published by Beth Kindig and Knox Ridley on November 29, 2020
On Friday, we initiated in Kingsoft Cloud. Please keep in mind, KC carries risk as the company has disclosed its earnings statements are not audited. As stated on the forum by our readers, the United States House is set to consider a measure this week to force U.S. listed Chinese companies to comply with audit terms. We cover additional risks below and Knox goes into the levels he is watching and how he plans to manage risk for this particular position.
We want to give a few bullet points here as to why we initiated despite the fact KC.
Overview:
We like Cloud IaaS in China and this is the basis for our Alibaba position. I mentioned this on the forum here. The United States cloud IaaS market is about $45 to $50 billion while China recently surpassed $5 billion – which reveals an important gap for this massive population.
According to some numbers, Kingsoft Cloud is the #3 cloud provider second to Alibaba and Tencent. According to others, Kingsoft Cloud is a close tie with Baidu in the #4 spot. Here is the quote from the S-1 filing: “We are the third largest internet cloud service provider in China with a market share of 5.4% in terms of revenue from Infrastructure as a Service, or IaaS, and Platform as a Service, or PaaS, public cloud services in 2019, according to Frost & Sullivan.”
Kingsoft could see multi-cloud as a tailwind due to being the largest independent cloud provider. Also, companies like Bytedance and iQIYI use KC to avoid using Tencent (direct competitor). The concentration of Bytedance and others is a risk.
Although market is undecided about Xiaomi’s involvement due to large customer concentration, we see this particular customer/backer as a positive. We like the Xiaomi has done well in China and we also like the focus on 5G, video content and health care/medical IoT to help KC find an edge against Alibaba, Tencent and Baidu. Xiaomi is the number two smartphone in China ahead of Apple and we think this resilience is a positive. In fact, we would not have invested without a strong backer in either AI or 5G so Xiaomi as an early investor, co-chairman and 14% of revenue is primary to our interest.
Kingsoft is focused on verticals, such as video streaming, gaming and health care. We like this approach as it shows an understanding of competitive positioning and clear differentiation from the larger competitors.
Kingsoft Cloud is scheduled be added to the MSCI China All Shares Index on November 30th at market close.
Net dollar retention rate is 155% in FY 2019
Revenue increased 72.6% year-over-year. This represents 48.1% growth from public cloud services and 257.3% growth from enterprise cloud services. Some of this was a rebound in enterprise from a covid deceleration. The company is expected to grow revenue 62% next year to $1.62 billion. To compare, Tencent Cloud is in the $3 billion range.
Adjusted gross profit was $16.9 million and adjusted EBITDA of -$3.9 million.

Risks
There are currently over 200 Chinese companies that are listed on U.S. exchanges. However, unlike U.S. companies that must comply with strict regulatory requirements, China-based audit firms are not in compliance with the U.S. Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) inspections required under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX Act), which is supposed to apply to all U.S. listed publicly traded companies.
The NASDAQ is requiring additional listing requirements for Chinese firms, while the U.S. Senate passed S. 945, the Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act. This Act requires foreign companies to prove that they are not owned by governments, as well as requiring them to disclose to the SEC information that allows the PCAOB to perform inspections.
This change in U.S. regulations was soon followed by the Luckin Coffee fraud. The Chinese competitor to Starbucks admitted to falsifying their sales by roughly $2.2 billion yuan. This not only led to a sharp selloff in the stock, but also caused the NASDAQ to delist the stock.
The above reasons led to valuations in Chinese tech companies that are hard to come by in today’s markets. Because of the above risks, we will still invest in ideas we like, but with risk controls in place. Our two Chinese positions are Alibaba (BABA) and Kingsoft (KC), both of which now have stops in place. This will allow us to participate in the growth stories, while at the same time minimize our exposure to the macro and regulatory risks going on within China today.
The national debt to GDP ratio of the U.S. economy is estimated to be around 98% of GDP by the end of 2020, with the largest increase in government debt. In a similar response to the GFC, the Chinese government also attempted to stimulate their economy through debt, and is currently looking an unsustainable debt to GDP ratio of 317%, with the largest focus in corporate debt.
Basic Technical Analysis
From a basic Technical Analysis perspective, we have a nice base that has formed, which provides a clear breakout zone.

Note the large volume spike accompanied by a long green candle. This suggests that the sellers have dried up, leading to a rush of buyers. Seeing Friday close above $39.25 is promising. The next level of resistance will be $43.
Elliott Wave Analysis
If we dived deeper into the price structure, we can get further support of a potential breakout on the horizon.

The above chart outlines my structural analysis of the current price action in KC. First off, from its all-time low, we have a clear 5 wave move to the ended just below the $43 level. Each wave within this structure (in green on the left), moved along standard extensions, further supporting a wave 1 within a larger uptrend (in blue).
We then saw a symmetrical retrace to the 50% retrace level of the first wave. Once again, we typically see 2nd waves terminate around the 50% retrace level. The structure of this retrace also was symmetrical. In other words, the length of the c wave in red was around the same length of the a wave in red.
This retrace was then followed by another 5 wave move up, and smaller retrace, suggesting that we are in the early stages of the larger degree 3rd wave in blue. The move on Friday further supported this thesis when we saw a high volume breakout above the $39.25 resistance. If we see a further breakout above the $43 level the above targets will be in effect.
We will use a wider stop than normal in this starter position. We always start small, and if we analyze a trend accurately, which is confirmed by an increase in price, we tend to build on that position along the uptrend. We will have a stop at $31.90 based on the closing price.
Published inStock Updates (Blogs)
Previous PostAI Accelerator and 5G Chips: Connecting the Dots
Next PostMomentum List: December 2020
5 Comments
  1. sahil vihal
    sahil vihal
    interesting.
    November 30, 2020 Reply
  2. jayd
    jayd
    It is also my understanding that China has passed a law that makes it illegal for a Chinese company to cooperate with a foreign government. I haven’t heard anything on the exact language of the law but it is likely written broadly enough so that many situations could be interpreted as cooperation. My present thinking is that meeting a market exchanges listing requirement will likely not be considered cooperation with a foreign gov’t, but under certain circumstances it might be in the future.
    December 1, 2020 Reply
  3. Sharvil Sheth
    Sharvil Sheth
    Interesting find. I find it fascinating that the Chinese cloud market is so far behind the US considering that they are far ahead of the US in terms of e-commerce and cashless transactions. The entire country runs on Wechat and AliBaba. I travel to China on a regular basis, even the smallest street vendors in rural areas accept Alipay / WePay and smartphone penetration is 100%.
    I do not think that there will be a rapid growth of cloud based services in the Chinese healthcare sector/ medical IoT. Currently there are no cloud based Electronic medical records. There are significant regulatory hurdles in moving to the cloud as it is expensive and the entire healthcare sector in China is government run by old bureaucratic systems that are very resistant to change. The per capita spending on healthcare in China is miniscule compared to the developed economies.
    On a side note, do you think with the passage of S. 945 we could see rotation of capital in to the larger names such as BABA that have more reputable auditing history?
    December 2, 2020 Reply
  4. Andrew Burton
    Andrew Burton
    Beth, did this already happen – copied from your post (and what is the source): Kingsoft Cloud is scheduled be added to the MSCI China All Shares Index on November 30th at market close.
    December 16, 2020 Reply
  5. Mark Fleming
    Mark Fleming
    Beth, do you think that the US action regarding accounting practices is built into the stock price already? It does seem like this will surely be passed, and I would think most institutional investors already realize this.
    December 16, 2020 Reply

Author WordPress Theme by Compete Themes

Trim and trail. This **** isn’t normal and FUBO isn’t roku.

Thanks for the article. I moved out of my position. Nothing wrong with pulling profits. Rather be up and watch then get caught bag holding. Speculation is a dangerous game to play

Even with FUBO making these moves, I've still yet to sign up personally.

Looking to have 10% handy. ITs been a year of runs. another stimulus coming. ITs important to pick solid orgs right now. Not everyeone will survive this run. Some companies are getting killed while competition is thriving.

Trying to make sure I stick to strategy which is long

Thanks for the article. I moved out of my position. Nothing wrong with pulling profits. Rather be up and watch then get caught bag holding. Speculation is a dangerous game to play

Even with FUBO making these moves, I've still yet to sign up personally.

Looking to have 10% handy. ITs been a year of runs. another stimulus coming. ITs important to pick solid orgs right now. Not everyeone will survive this run. Some companies are getting killed while competition is thriving.

Trying to make sure I stick to strategy which is long
Greed been the downfall of man since the beginning of time

genomics been going crazy
SaaS of 2021.

this last month has been so easy guys. It’s gonna get ugly at some point. Please do not get cocky. Do not let your ego get too big. Stay humble, use a stop and have a plan. Trim and trail stocks that go to 100% in days with **** valuations and weak earnings. If the stock isn’t a long term buy and hold that you can live with getting cut in half and adding more, use a stop with it.Be smart. Don’t chase today’s winners or losers, just be smart and have a plan. Use a stop, get paid, keep perspective.

I doubled on my GME already and I’m out but for anyone else GameStop will start selling graphics cards for the PCmasterrace. A long overdue department they’ve only ignored until now. Should see them slowly climb and pc components are huge market

SaaS of 2021.

this last month has been so easy guys. It’s gonna get ugly at some point. Please do not get cocky. Do not let your ego get too big. Stay humble, use a stop and have a plan. Trim and trail stocks that go to 100% in days with **** valuations and weak earnings. If the stock isn’t a long term buy and hold that you can live with getting cut in half and adding more, use a stop with it.Be smart. Don’t chase today’s winners or losers, just be smart and have a plan. Use a stop, get paid, keep perspective.
Dont worry. I'm watching my NKLA puts slowly bleed out while the stock slloooowwwwly moves to the $15 strike. That's keeping me humble knowing this scam of a company is dying slower than my money is.

But for real, I set a stop on TSLA and moved out of FUBO, PTON, and CHWY except for small share counts, for a reason. November was the best month I've EVER had. Not normal. We're in a recession/depression economically. This is madness. And itll come crashing down eventually.
Going to be worst than the depression and can’t even lol at it
And this is where I'm at with it all too. Portland has more homeless than ever before, some of my friends are losing jobs or been unemployed since March (thank **** for emergency housing protections and a progressive state govt), other **** going on. Too many people are hanging on by a shoestring and it's about to snap.

GME was a nice buy in this earnings miss tbh. I didn’t play it but should’ve.

I bought back BTWN after hours.Something might be brewing. Buyers came in today, this could run over 15. I made a mistake selling yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom