OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Alright guys finally finally have a weekday off after 4 months straight work.

Going to spend a few hours doing stocks research today. Here’s my context:

-Want to buy a house in 3 years
-Have 45k sitting in cash to invest
-Want to split it up between 5-6 stocks and invest today via Robinhood. Will not touch it for 3 years
-So...looking for high growth over 3 years (with appropriate risk). Not necessarily explosive. 25% YoY goal.
-Will invest $1,000 into QQQ every week from here on out for the next 3 years.

NT help me pick 5-6 stocks. Any tips for stocks that fit the context would be greatly appreciated
If you need that money for a house, put it in mutual funds or leave it in savings. never manage money you actually need.

Hi, still a bit of a newbie here. Question for the vets and those who have a good nose here.

How do you guys go about picking stocks? The sea is just so vast. It seems that the tickers mentioned are usually known amongst you guys.
Are these primarily tips, TA, FA or personal DD?
How do you determine the difference between a short or long hold? Or are these things just determined by your DD and limits previously set?

Im been making myself more familiar with Chart Patterns to understand good entry and exit points as well as when a ticker is moving past resistance, but again everything is just so vast. Im just having a hard time narrowing things and picking. Anaysis/Choice Paralysis

I have only invested in a couple stocks RN, 1 current position. Admittedly I was gaining on one and then lost a decent bit and shelled up in response to educate myself more.
I don’t consider myself a vet, but my general approach is to invest based on macro thematic trends in the world that I think will lead to certain companies performing well over the next 5-10 years. For example, there’s a good amount of folks who are very bullish on stocks like MELI, PYPL, SQ based on the slowing use of cash to make purchases.

My portfolio is heavily weighted toward passive index and mutual funds since I believe over the long term it gets increasingly difficult to beat the market. I’m really focused on long term capital appreciation so I tend to invest most of my excess cash in ETF funds that pay a dividend above the S&P. It’s fun to try to pick stocks and trade in and out of them, but statistically you’re more likely to have smaller gains taking that approach over a long time horizon.

:lol: most my gains wiped on PTON
All the velocity for folks thinking earning were August really took some wind from the sails...though I'm still bullish.

Need to really be disciplined on stops.

All the velocity for folks thinking earning were August really took some wind from the sails...though I'm still bullish.

Please be disciplined. I wasn’t on fsly this time around and I’m rekt :lol:

Buying opportunity 8) I'll add more if it hits 65. My avg cost is $63.63.

Another alert from Tim just for johnnyredstorm johnnyredstorm :lol:.

21AA8EE2-B35C-4B47-A867-4173D96B177A.jpeg

If you need that money for a house, put it in mutual funds or leave it in savings. never manage money you actually need.

It’s relative - let’s say it’s just straight cash. To me my options are:

1) Do nothing
45k + 50k + 50k + 50k = 195k

2) Invest with a high side expectation of:
a) 25% gain on the 5-7 stocks and 10% on QQQ which becomes:
87k + 182k = 269k
*With downside risk of expecting it to end up at 150k on the low end of the spectrum (so 40k less than just holding in cash)

3) Invest it all into a “safe” ETF and hope for 7%
$227k

Objectively, option 2 seems like a good chance to take. Don’t need the cash for anything other than the down payment. Already have my “safe” regular investment in my 401k that’s separate from this.

Yeah even the best mutual funds give you 10% on a 5 year average with a few 20-30% years thrown in. I use mutual funds to build up my daughters college fund, I want 10% on average, not the risk of potentially getting 100% gains. I’d go with just a few mutual funds and dca into them and grow your money that way.

I should play one of these some time. What’s your experience with his picks? I think he’s a **** but ironically he does a lot of great charity work. Thanks for sharing I’m gonna watch this one and maybe jump in the next one :lol:

They’re decent for small gains 10-20%, but, like you mentioned before, his subscribers account for some of those gains that he gets. If I can get in at the same price as him, then I’ll buy (like BLNK in June), but, if not, then I just sit it out because he’ll take a minimal gain and that might leave you taking a loss if you get in higher than him.

Anyone using Robinhood doesn’t deserve help (or maybe more help, I’m just an awful person)

jjs jjs

Checkin in.

expecting 25% YOY to buy a house in 3 years is a long shot for a beginner.

What if you have -25% in your third year, does that mean you can’t buy a house?

It’s doable and might even seem “easy” when you look at the returns from the last couple of years, but you should ask yourself “what happens if you don’t reach that goal? What happens if you lose money?”

A financial adviser would advise a balanced mutual fund for a 3-year horizon if you are not too risk averse (which doesn’t seem to be the problem here anyway). But then your expectations should be more around 5-6% YOY.

Or you can always dump everything into Tesla and RIDE THE WAVE BABAAAAAY.

Also **** Robinhood

what’s cliffnotes version of why Robinhood is bad?

It seems fine for basic hold and make the occasional trade portfolios?

what’s cliffnotes version of why Robinhood is bad?

It seems fine for basic hold and make the occasional trade portfolios?

Robinhood tends to have IT issues on high volume days so they cut the access to your account and you can be stuck looking at your position going down without being able to trade out of it.

And there’s plenty of other options like Schwab and TD Ameritrade.

Robinhood tends to have IT issues on high volume days so they cut the access to your account and you can be stuck looking at your position going down without being able to trade out of it.

And there’s plenty of other options like Schwab and TD Ameritrade.
Dont forget it crashed altogether on Feb 29th because their code broke from the leap year :lol:. Something so simple to avoid and they dove headfirst into it.

It’s relative - let’s say it’s just straight cash. To me my options are:

1) Do nothing
45k + 50k + 50k + 50k = 195k

2) Invest with a high side expectation of:
a) 25% gain on the 5-7 stocks and 10% on QQQ which becomes:
87k + 182k = 269k
*With downside risk of expecting it to end up at 150k on the low end of the spectrum (so 40k less than just holding in cash)

3) Invest it all into a “safe” ETF and hope for 7%
$227k

Objectively, option 2 seems like a good chance to take. Don’t need the cash for anything other than the down payment. Already have my “safe” regular investment in my 401k that’s separate from this.

You forgot the option where you put your money in the market, and the market crashes along the lines of the great depression, and you lose everything.

Never invest money you can't see yourself losing. If you can honestly stomach losing 45k, then go right ahead and invest in the market. Just realize that we're due for a downturn soon.

Alright guys finally finally have a weekday off after 4 months straight work.

Going to spend a few hours doing stocks research today. Here’s my context:

-Want to buy a house in 3 years
-Have 45k sitting in cash to invest
-Want to split it up between 5-6 stocks and invest today via Robinhood. Will not touch it for 3 years
-So...looking for high growth over 3 years (with appropriate risk). Not necessarily explosive. 25% YoY goal.
-Will invest $1,000 into QQQ every week from here on out for the next 3 years.

NT help me pick 5-6 stocks. Any tips for stocks that fit the context would be greatly appreciated

45k should do the trick with FHA 3.5% down loan, you're looking at up to 700k property

Back
Top Bottom