:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Just to touch on prevention...before the sole gets yellow, while the shoe is still newish...how do you guys clean the soles? With all of my solid color bottoms I just use shoe cleaner then scrub and rinse with water, then wipe down and let air dry. All my soles look dead stock. What do you all do with icy soles like Concords and VI's with icy soles? Im afraid to clean and rinse because I know water is the enemy. But I also don't like putting my Jordan's away with dirty soles. I know it's excessive, but I now clean the bottoms of my shoes as well before storing them away again. I wanna have clean icy soles, but I don't wanna speed up the yellowing process. Suggestions?
Use the same method you use for the any bottom sole. Icy sole's are not any different. They just require more care. If you are afraid of the icy sole turning yellow, dry it as soon as possible then store it with a silica gel pack.

Bought that Jason Markk cleaner short time ago. Worked beautifully on my Anniversary IVs, my navy and white suede low top Is...then I tried them on my CDP IV and this is what happened

Now I gotta find someone to paint them... :frown:

Use the same method you use for the any bottom sole. Icy sole's are not any different. They just require more care. If you are afraid of the icy sole turning yellow, dry it as soon as possible then store it with a silica gel pack.
See...that is what I figured. I'll just clean them off with standard foam shoe cleaner...scrubbing the bottoms as usual, then rinse the soles...then dry with a towel. My question is....People always say that if you wear them in the rain they'll yellow super fast. How is that any different? Im just afraid to let the icy soles contact water.

Bought that Jason Markk cleaner short time ago. Worked beautifully on my Anniversary IVs, my navy and white suede low top Is...then I tried them on my CDP IV and this is what happened

Now I gotta find someone to paint them... :frown:

do it yourself, easiest job ever.

Whats the best way to clean/restore To clean my ashy and white spotted Aquas and 06 Black/Metallic Vs?

I was considering sending my Vs to renegade restorations because they are beat to **** and I'd love to make them presentable again.

horror story, last time i wore my cdp xvii's it must have been raining. a month later i pull them out to wear and the toe caps are covererd in mold. ugh... you really don't want pictures.

any tips or luck sent this way would be appreciated.

See...that is what I figured. I'll just clean them off with standard foam shoe cleaner...scrubbing the bottoms as usual, then rinse the soles...then dry with a towel. My question is....People always say that if you wear them in the rain they'll yellow super fast. How is that any different? Im just afraid to let the icy soles contact water.
If you wear them in the rain, you're standing around water for at least 30 minutes. The shoes have a longer time in contact with water in the rain than being cleaned up. Just dry the shoes right after you finish. 
do it yourself, easiest job ever.
This is a forum for assisting others in restoring.  How does this comment even give him a nudge in the right direction? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt again because no one that I know talks as ignorant as you. If it really is the easiest job ever, why does he need to go to a forum and ask for help? You're not going to receive any help yourself if you can't even do the same to others.

@oneand23 Don't listen to him. All you need is angelus paint from turtlefeathers.net and order black paint and paint duller. 

horror story, last time i wore my cdp xvii's it must have been raining. a month later i pull them out to wear and the toe caps are covererd in mold. ugh... you really don't want pictures.

any tips or luck sent this way would be appreciated.

DampRid is your best friend. It absorbs excess moisture.

My Concords from this past December was still completely icy on the bottom due to my storing methods.

^cheers, mate :smile:

This is a forum for assisting others in restoring.  How does this comment even give him a nudge in the right direction? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt again because no one that I know talks as ignorant as you. If it really is the easiest job ever, why does he need to go to a forum and ask for help? You're not going to receive any help yourself if you can't even do the same to others.

you're just mad cuz i called you out for your repeated garbage advice in the legit check forum. :smh:

one colour midsole paint job is easy as hell. i was being encouraging. there are countless sources of info where the poster could have gotten this genius advice of yours
@oneand23 Don't listen to him. All you need is angelus paint from turtlefeathers.net and order black paint and paint duller. 
wow, so professional and helpful. .... 0_o
and even if he were lazy or unsure he could always ask for more specific clarification.

Last edited:
^cheers, mate
smile.gif

you're just mad cuz i called you out for your repeated garbage advice in the legit check forum.
mean.gif

one colour midsole paint job is easy as hell. i was being encouraging. there are countless sources of info where the poster could have gotten this genius advice of yours
wow, so professional and helpful. .... 0_o
and even if he were lazy or unsure he could always ask for more specific clarification.
"smh" you call that calling me out? I don't even think it was even an insult because all you were doing was shaking your head :smile:

You're right, I guess your advice was more helpful than mine. " Do it yourself, it's the easiest job ever" How very insightful!  And what was it were you asking for your situation with your mold? It's a no brainer to wipe down the shoes after they are wet. I mean you're smart enough to explain to another person in need of help that it is an easy job. Yours isn't any different.  You didn't specify what you needed done to your shoes so there isn't anything anyone can help you with.

Well good luck with your mold situation! Let us know if you need anything else 
smile.gif

If you wear them in the rain, you're standing around water for at least 30 minutes. The shoes have a longer time in contact with water in the rain than being cleaned up. Just dry the shoes right after you finish. 
Thanks for the input. Makes more sense now that I think about it after you put it that way. I just bought some DS Lakers VI's (yeah yeah...laugh all you want I dont care. I'm a HUGE Lakers fan and I've been on the hunt to get a real nice pair at a good price for a while now. I think they're straight fire.). Anyway, I wear ALL of my shoes, and clean the **** out of them after every wear or two ( I even wear shoe trees and store in zip loc bags and let all my kicks out to breathe every 2 weeks). The soles on these arrived so icy I couldn't believe it, especially for a 2 yr old shoe. Since I'll be wearing them, I wanna keep them clean and the soles as icy as possible for as long as possible. Thanks again. I might even blow dry them with cool air after I towel dry them to speed up the drying process (all those little circles in the bottom of vi's I'm sure I wont be able to dry quickly with a  towel)

A couple of sneak peek's of what's to come!

Edit:

Here is what I am working on now. One of many of the Jordan 11's that I am restoring is the 1996 Columbia 11's

I whitened the patent leather  No comparison pictures as of now though :frown: But I do have the bottom soles for comparison.

Edit #2: Even though these look seaglowed, I didn't. It's the original tint showing again. I bet a few of you guys didn't know the originals had a blue tint. Even the Concord's had the tint.

Makes more sense now that they are tinting the 11's again but they are over doing it with all jordan releases.

Last edited:
Edit #2: Even though these look seaglowed, I didn't. It's the original tint showing again. I bet a few of you guys didn't know the originals had a blue tint. Even the Concord's had the tint.

Makes more sense now that they are tinting the 11's again but they are over doing it with all jordan releases.

I know what you mean, jb is putting a few things back to their original status. Nike air on the 1s, blue tint on 11s, the boxes, etc.

But my question is what did you use to get the soles clear again? Retrobrite? I'm restoring my 2000 Concords right now, the sole is separated and I'm scraping off all of the old glue that has clumped up. I was about to dye them but I think the dye sinks in better when they are clearer....

I'm using retr0brite. I don't want to alter any original icy soles by using seaglow. I've noticed when I first started restoring sneakers; especially Jordan's with icy soles, it makes it look icy blue from the sides and yellow on the bottom ( if worn casually ). ex Fire Red V's

I've seaglowed a pair of brown soled Concord's from 2000 before and they didn't turn green from the color mixture of seaglow and the soles. Instead I received results that were not up to par with retr0brite. Seaglow can only go so far from my experience and retr0brite can even push further. It still has it's limits depending on how severe the yellowing is.

I'm using retr0brite. I don't want to alter any original icy soles by using seaglow. I've noticed when I first started restoring sneakers; especially Jordan's with icy soles, it makes it look icy blue from the sides and yellow on the bottom ( if worn casually ). ex Fire Red V's

I've seaglowed a pair of brown soled Concord's from 2000 before and they didn't turn green from the color mixture of seaglow and the soles. Instead I received results that were not up to par with retr0brite. Seaglow can only go so far from my experience and retr0brite can even push further. It still has it's limits depending on how severe the yellowing is.

Alright cool. I've had bad luck with retrobrite, but that's probably because I'm so impatient. What is your "recipe"
A lot of people use different ones

I use Sally's 40% CREME and oxiclean. That's all. I put my sally's 40 in a cut up 3% hydrogen peroxide container and add a little bit of oxiclean and then i microwave it for 30 seconds. I stir it and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes (it's best to have your retrobrite ready for use before you start your session) so it will thicken up and i apply it on the soles, netting, rubber, toecap, etc.

The reason why I put it in a brown 3% hydrogen peroxide container is because the molecules separate in a clear container (glass or plastic). 

I was able to dye my soles without seaglow. I got a big pot, and filled it with hot water. Then I added the right amount of evening blue RIT liquid dye. Then I put my separated soles in there and left it for about 2 hours. They came out icy as can be. Now I'm cleaning off the old dried up glue (takes forever!) off the shank plate. Once that is done I'm going to glue them back on with barge cement, then whiten the mesh up with some RIT fabric whitener. Almost done

I was able to dye my soles without seaglow. I got a big pot, and filled it with hot water. Then I added the right amount of evening blue RIT liquid dye. Then I put my separated soles in there and left it for about 2 hours. They came out icy as can be. Now I'm cleaning off the old dried up glue (takes forever!) off the shank plate. Once that is done I'm going to glue them back on with barge cement, then whiten the mesh up with some RIT fabric whitener. Almost done

Pics? Were you soles yellowed before you dyed them this way?

Back
Top Bottom