Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson says his back injury is "not a big deal," meaning he should play Sunday against San Francisco. Peterson was limited in practice on Wednesday because of the injury. He rushed for 92 yards and a touchdown last week against Detroit, and leads the NFL in rushing heading into the Vikings' home opener against the 49ers. Starting middle linebacker E.J. Henderson missed practice Wednesday because of a shoulder injury. Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said Thursday he believes Henderson will be fine. Henderson leads the team with 17 tackles this season after missing most of last year with a foot injury.

I am still in the group that says YES. Our WR core is still not very good. Morgan MIGHT turn out to be good. Bruce will be here MAYBE one more year. We need WRhelp bad. Crabtree isnt going to do anything for us this year, but I want him on our squad. I dont see the negative to signing him, even if he does nothingthis year. He may or may not turn out to be a superstar, but I am willing to take the chance that he is. The 49ers took the chance by drafting him. Lets getthis ****** on the squad. He is an incredible talent.

And for the record, just because you feel he was a mistake from the start, is not a good reason to say no to signing him and simply letting him go.

YES.

I don't know what you guys are thinking saying no. This dude could be a legit #1 WR and along with morgan (who seems to be a perfect #2) would set us upfor an awesome offense in the coming years once we draft a QB in the upcoming draft. Look I understand fans are mad/frustrated but dude is doing what hethinks is best for him. If he ends up signing why would you not want him?

People are saying he would divide the locker room and be a problem...why is that? He isn't going to be a problem in the locker room he just wants to getpaid. And players would take his side because they understand its a business and trying to get paid in a profession such as this is paramount. Dude workshard, wants to be the best. I have no questions about his work ethic or talent. We really do need to get him signed.

Yes....get it done. We need the help at WR, I know Crabtree is leaving a really sour taste in our mouths right now, but we can use the help we need. Itwon't be a locker room distraction, we just need Sing to put his ego in check and he'll be good. His ego is just a little high and he wants to get paidtoo much.
I won't lie, I was glad we drafted him, and I still think he'll be decent. If we can trade him and get decent value, I wouldn't be against iteither, or if the tampering charges come along and we get something nice for it.

Crabby's a jerk but I agree with what dland and uter posted.

[h2]'Mount Pain' and 'The Catch' get segments on ESPN this weekend[/h2]
Posted by Dan Brown on September 24th, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

After years of irrelevance, the 49ers are getting noticed again. There are two 49ers-themed reports scheduled for the "Sunday NFL Countdown" on ESPN this weekend.

The show begins at 8 a.m. PT on Sunday. Here are the descriptions of the 49ers segments, as provided by ESPN:

The Hill: The 2-0 start by the 49ers can be traced back to the off-season when new head coach Mike Singletary ordered 2,500 tons of dirt and had a 45-foot hill built as part of the team's new conditioning program. Trent Dilfer visits with Singletary and his players as they discuss the benefit of what they call "Mount Pain" and "Hamstring Hill."

Mayne Event: The Catch: Some 49ers' greats of the past still feel they have yet to get the credit they deserve for their roles in "The Catch" - the historic throw and catch from quarterback Joe Montana to Dwight Clark late in the fourth quarter of the 1982 NFC Championship (Cowboys at 49ers). In this week's "Mayne Event," Kenny Mayne tells the story of the catch through the eyes and memories of these 49ers' greats.

Originally Posted by dland24

And for the record, just because you feel he was a mistake from the start, is not a good reason to say no to signing him and simply letting him go.

I'm 100% sure that was directed towards me and I didn't say we simply let him go ... if we trade him by the deadline then cool.

First of all, there's a reason his QB at Texas Tech in 2008 threw over 5,000 yards and 45 TDs and he ain't on a @@#*+%+ team
roll.gif
. I'm sure people were calling him an "incredible talent" as well.

No matter how you slice it, Crabby is a product of the spread offense - gimmickoffense - pass happy - whatever you wanna call it.

I don't like Crabby's size nor his speed for him to be that #1 or superstar player in the next level, does he have a shot to be good? Sure.

Can Shaun Hill get him the ball?
laugh.gif
Doubt it.

He's already prone to injury, he knows he needs to get the most $$$ before he sprains his toe and is out for the whole year, going into the draft wepointed out his character and the people he surrounded himself with was a MAJOR concern and could be the reason he fell to 10th.

Back to Dlands comment on me saying it was a mistake, yes it was a mistake because imagine how much more
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
our defense would have been if we drafted a player lets say like Orakpo - buildaround the D and we're loaded.

Take it for what its worth, each fan has their own opinion on how the team they root for should be ran.

UZ- You are fooling yourself if you think Crabtree will be legit #1. I just never saw it in him.

There were always whispers about Crabtree's prima donna attitude, and let's face it, he was coming out of Texas Tech....
smh.gif

Last year just wasn't the year for a receiver, even if it was an area of need. We have no QB and no WR's going into the draft and last yearwasn't the year to reach for either one. Stafford and Sanchez weren't going to fall to #10.

I would have loved Orakpo, or trading down and getting Maualuga late in the round. Instead we end up with Crabs.

The next 2-3 years there will be talent at the WR position, not this past year.

I would say no. I've always felt he was an overrated reciever but now his character comes into question for me. I do not want this dude on my team. He doesnot deserve to be a 49er. I want people on this team that LOVE the game of football. Players who know that playing in the league is a privilege, not a right.If you want a big contract then cool, go out and earn it first. Don't demand $@$% you don't deserve or haven't earned. I say just take a loss andtrade his rights. Hopefully we can also get compensated for the tampering incident. I have more faith in Morgan anyway.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Originally Posted by dland24

I'm 100% sure that was directed towards me and I didn't say we simply let him go ... if we trade him by the deadline then cool.

Back to Dlands comment on me saying it was a mistake, yes it was a mistake because imagine how much more
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
our defense would have been if we drafted a player lets say like Orakpo - build around the D and we're loaded.

Take it for what its worth, each fan has their own opinion on how the team they root for should be ran.

Not just you
wink.gif
. I agree that our defense would have been awesome with another stud D from the draft. I wanted Raji. When he was gone I was cool with the pick.As far as Crabtree goes, yes, his stats are inflated due to the offense he played in. But you all have seen his games or highlights. Some of the plays he madewere
eek.gif
. Regardless of whether or not you, me or the next guy thinks he is going to be good at this level or not, we already drafted him. We already took thechance that he is going to be great, we might as well sign him.

And Bright its not just you man. Others have said he was a mistake and we should just let him go. Us trying to trade him is not going to work either. Do youthink there would be a ton of teams dying to trade for him after these shenanigans? We wont be trading him. We either sign him, or waste our pick.

bright nikes , I agree that Orakpo would be a hugeasset to this team right now. But the 9ers front office was/is very high on Manny Lawson and I find it difficult to see them drafting him even if Crabtree wasoff the board at 10. I think we would have drafted an O-lineman if Crabby wasn't available (which would have been a good move too, seeing that we have alotof glaring holes on this team).

Lawson is still recovering from that ACL injury, to say they were high on him when they drafted him ... yes of course.

But, another beast along side Justin Smith would have been the route to take than hoping Lawson would reach that ceiling we've been waiting for.

Michael Crabtree the best receiver in the draft and potentially the best prospect in the ENTIRE draft falls to #10 when we don't have any starpowerespecially at the WR position and you pass? Yeah right. Someone's balls would have got cut off right then and there no matter who they took. It was a nobrainer pick at the time no one knew dude would be an idiot. And pass-happy whatever you want to call it but Crabtree has a lot of talent. I don't carewhat system you were in if you have 2 years like he had especially with teams planning against him and win two Belitikofs (sp?) its impressive.

He needs us. We need him.

laugh.gif
Them Texas Tech #s got you fooled man.

What's Graham Harrell up too?

It was a no brainer pick at the time no one knew dude would be an idiot.

False.

Going into the draft that was his biggest knock.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

laugh.gif
Them Texas Tech #s got you fooled man.

What's Graham Harrell up too?

It was a no brainer pick at the time no one knew dude would be an idiot.
False.

Going into the draft that was his biggest knock.

Come on. AT THE TIME. If the 49ers pass on Crabtree everyone would be crucifying the 49ers front office, I know I would have. How come no otherreceivers from Tech have done anything? Yes the numbers are inflated but its also in part due to his talent. Crabtree is a very good receiver and better thananyone on our roster right now, yes including Josh Morgan. Morgan is suited to be a perfect #2 guy.

Well here's the thing, I thought the Niners were gonna go a different direction under Sing.

Like I said, we all got our opinions on this - but to say NO ONE knew Crabby was gonna be an idiot is beyond false.

I really dont want to argue about Crabtree anymore, but Bright I am curious if you have sources stating how people knew he was an idiot. Every predraft reportI read said that Crabtree was a great kid and was not a problem, distraction or anything other than a pleasure to coach or play along side.

My thing is his character issues lead him to being an idiot:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2...s-with-character-issues/

According to Pro Football Weekly, there are five highly regarded prospects who have raised serious red flags to five "high-level league executives" they polled: Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, Rey Maualuga, Vontae Davis, and B.J. Raji. And they aren't just a little scared of drafting these guys.
http://
One top-ranking official, who said he would not draft any of them, compared the exercise to trying to decide between whether he'd rather eat cow manure, drink monkey urine or ingest rabbit turds.

http://nflnr.com/?p=1912

[h2]Crabtree's prima donna stance turning teams away[/h2]

According to Jim Thomas (St. Louis Post-Dispatch), Texas tech WR Michael Crabtree may have put off several potential suitors with his poor attitude during pre-draft interviews, and could slide into the bottom half of the top ten picks as a result. Thomas is fairly certain that neither the Rams or the Browns are seriously considering Crabtree right now and he has his doubts about Seattle as well.

This does not bode well for Crabtree's chances to be selected high in round one, and it's looking more and more likely that he will be available when Al Davis and the Raiders are on the clock tomorrow afternoon. That would have to be a dream scenario for Raider Nation and the team's front office alike, as Crabtree would immediately give Oakland the premier receiving threat they need to take their offense to the next level.

Then again, this is the same kind of thing we hear every year, as teams are doing their best to one up each other with gamesmanship to keep their draft strategy a secret for as long as humanly possible, so take it for what it's worth. Still, the fact that two seperate teams have come forward with a similar outlook on Crabtree's attitude speaks volumes as to how teams may feel about drafting him so high, and he could slip somewhat as a result.

At any rate, he'll still be selected in the top ten, and will be extrordinarily rich by this time on Sunday, so it's doubtful that he is concerned at the moment. We'll keep an eye on this and all the other news around the league as it breaks, so keep it locked right here all weekend long.

I mean that's just really a glimpse of it, but I remember many analysts putting his character in play due to the people he surrounded himself and of coursethere is a reason why people say he was the #1 ranked prospect but yet fell to #10.

We can go on and on about it, as of today Michael Crabtree isn't a 49er - he hasn't practiced with the team, he's been injured and the team mustthink little of him because he isn't out there with them while they're battling it out.

Fair enough. Thanks for the articles. As much as people hate prima donna athletes, look at the top WRs in the NFL. How many of them dont have a big ego?

Very true, but they've at least ACCOMPLISHED something.

Crabby came from a pass happy offense that gets looked down upon, he can be a prima donna once he shows us something on the field.

how does that feel? to come so close and to have brett take it all away?

laugh.gif

i saw a few of you last sunday night, doesnt feel good does it ...

Back
Top Bottom