:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [1-1 @Rams 9/22 1:25PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only thing that makes this rough. Is we balled out and made Mahommes looks regular for 45 min.. just couldn't seal it

This hurts.

Initial thoughts:

There wasn't really one main culprit for this loss IMO.

- Minus that 1st INT, Jimmy was mostly solid but not spectacular

- Shanahan's play-calling was suspect on certain possessions including the 4th quarter ones.

- Defense played mostly well enough to win the game but gave up a few big plays. That 44 yard pass to Hill on 3rd and 15 is inexcusable. Uncle Sherm got beat on multiple plays too.

- After that 2nd Mahomes INT, that was their chance to kill the clock and punch it in end zone to seal it but they squandered that opportunity.

- For off-season coverage, debate, chatter, this is gonna be annoying as hell with everyone going to be talking non-stop about Jimmy not being "the guy" for the 49ers. This wasn't all on him.

- This hurts me bc this was a missed opportunity for our 49ers to win this SB. I know the "future looks bright" bc we got a young squad but this could possibly be the best all around team we could have and blew the chance to win a SB with it.

- I still have complete faith in Shanny/Lynch to continue building this roster up but this roster is inevitably gonna have some overhaul this offseason. We're gonna lose some key guys and depth. Don't see Armstead being resigned (think some team will cash him out) and we had the cards lined up with not having to play the Seahawks in playoffs or seeing Lamar in SB.

- Assuming Armstead is gone, we need Solomon Thomas to step it up and at least play like a starter. It's bad enough he's been essentially a rotational player and that's inexcusable for being the 3rd overall pick.

- Big thing will be for these guys to avoid the SB loss hangover. It's easy for us and them to think it'll be a given that they'll be in the hunt for sure next year and foreseeable future but remember the Harbaugh era squads. They came close to returning in 2013 but shot hit the fan and unraveled the following years. The NFC West is loaded and gonna be a bloodbath.

Things to hopefully look forward to next year:
- Jimmy continuing to grow as a QB and really taking off in Year 2 under Shanny and proving the doubters wrong
- Deebo and Kittle dominating defenses next year
- This core staying hungry and running it back to SB and win it next year.
Solid breakdown and outlook

We should still appreciate our 49ers making it to SB but this really hurts that I've been old enough/cognizant enough to witness two Super Bowl L's in one decade essentially.

I was technically around for the last SB win but I was only 5 so it doesn't "count" to me (even though it obviously still counts for real life).

This is tough. On to the draft. Not a lot of holes on this team, can’t let this loss define this team. We’re one year ahead of rebuild we’re officially contenders moving forward can’t go backward.

Initial FA thoughts. Re-sign Juice, franchise Armstead, try to bring back Ward on a friendly deal. Extend Kittle and DeFo (hopefully a little Paraag special on the last two).

Roster wise including coaches, assuming the above, I think they have a good chance of continuity for one more year. As tonight is showed nothing is guaranteed and a lot of breaks need to happen (injuries, home field, etc) to even be in this position but hopefully with majority of players and coaches returning they can avoid what the Rams went through this past season.

Back
Top Bottom