Official San Diego Chargers Offseason Thread Vol. AJ Smith >>> Yuku Search

Originally Posted by peep tha sneaKs

Originally Posted by buggz05

Originally Posted by RawSheed

There's plenty of Raiders fans in SD.

It's unfortunate for them too. I wont lie I use to be a raiders fan in the 90's (shame on me) but I couldn't do it now a days.
You couldnt do it now b/c the Raiders suck and the Chargers are balling?!?!?!?! It's making sense now....... b_ndw_g_n f_n You know whats funny. Charger fans (and i say this in general) are always seem to be hating on Raider fans more than vice versa. And for what??? We're RAIDER fans. Yea we suck and yea we ain't going nowhere until Al is no longer in power......but you gotta be down with your squad. We are just supporting our team. There's gonna be good times and there's gonna be bad times. But its sticking with your team during that bad years make the good ones that much more sweeter. I'm sure real fans like KB8SanDiego can feel me on this. I know there's some diehard Charger fans and they SHOULD be enjoying it now. But to hate on RAIDER fans cause we're down w/ our team is pretty dumb. I dont take none of this stuff serious cause its just online talk....but man......you funny.

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

dunno about that, since u guys started winning I see Charger fans everywhere down here in So.Cal minus LA. edit* you mean our Owner, GM, scout, secret head coach, offense, and defensive coach.... Al Davis!!!!!!

Seriously he's in charge of all that?
grin.gif
I feel sorry for you guys....I have nothing against raider fans, or any sports fan for that matter (except maybe UTfanatic) but the raiders organization is the epitome of wackness.

Reading may not be fun to you but it is fundamental. Funny because I didn't become a chargers fan until the 1-16 season. The season that led to the1st overall pick. That's when I decided to just stick with the chargers. I was a raiders, niners, broncos, chiefs and cowboys fan
laugh.gif
as a kid. And Ijust narrowed it down to the hometown. I was like what....15? 14?

But I'm still a cowboy fan. And I've added the Vikings to my list. I'm kind of a chiefs fan still, it's hard not to be with Gonzales.I'm a sports fan period, rarely do I root against somebody. Except for the Longhorns, but the broncos I can't stand now a days. Raiders are cool theirjust a joke(the organization, the fans are pretty decent).

And Rust I'm in Illinois right now, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get back to SD. Too expensive to live there
tired.gif

I know what it's like to go through hardships. Oklahoma in the late 90's
indifferent.gif
. Even Oklahoma in the last few years in bowl games
tired.gif
. Also SD the last few years in the playoffs(except this year
pimp.gif
).
The reason I said I USE to be a raiders fan, was like I said, I was asports fan period, and they represented Cali. And now I'm just stickin to my one AFC team. I didn't jump ship on the raiders, was never reallyhardcore raider to begin with.

And yeah thats what sucks about cali. SO many teams to choose from. I use to jump ship from Lakers to Clippers all the time. Not really jump ship because I wasa fan of both, but they would compete for the favorite spot often. Now I dont even watch the NBA.

Oklahoma City Sonics *****
laugh.gif

Old article but noteworthy.

7851374_18_1.jpg

When the free-agent signing period begins today, San Diego may be the only team looking forward to losing players rather than acquiring them.

With a stocked young roster - much of which is under contract through at least the 2009 season - the Chargers have no need to make major forays into the market. But two of their own unsigned veterans - cornerback Drayton Florence and running back Michael Turner - are considered locks to leave for lucrative deals elsewhere.

That's fine with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, who plans on receiving compensation in the 2009 NFL draft for their imminent departure.

Smith says he expects the NFL to ultimately award San Diego third- and fourth-round compensatory picks for Florence and Turner.

Compensatory selections are given when a team loses more free agents than it signs. San Diego was the only club that didn't add a veteran free agent during last year's signing period, a trend likely to continue this off-season.

While the exact formula remains a heavily guarded NFL secret, the quality of player lost figures into the equation that determines the compensatory pick level. So does other criteria like salary, playing time and postseason honors.

A maximum of four compensatory picks for free-agent losses are awarded the following year. Those selections cannot be traded and come at the end of rounds three through seven. The 2008 list will be released by early April.

Smith received 2007 third- and fifth-round choices following the departure of multiple players, including quarterback Drew Brees (New Orleans). Smith expects to score a 2008 fourth-round pick for linebacker Donnie Edwards, who signed last off-season with Kansas City.

Smith admits he would rather gamble on finding good players through the draft than compete with other teams to sign veterans.

"If I went out and got two or three high-priced free agents, it would cancel out the compensation I'll be getting for Drayton and Michael," Smith said. "You can't play that game in free agency. It doesn't work. This is a great way to double-up picks."

Thanks to outstanding drafts and the re-signing of players since becoming San Diego's general manager in 2003, Smith isn't pressed to fill major holes through free agency. While the Chargers don't have a proven replacement for Turner as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup, Smith expects cornerback Paul Oliver (a fourth-round pick in the 2007 supplemental draft) to help offset Florence's departure.

Smith felt confident enough in his roster to release fullback Lorenzo Neal when the All-Pro requested his release in order to get a chance to start elsewhere. The same can be said for safety Marlon McCree and right tackle Shane Olivea, who were both cut on Thursday.

San Diego's hoard of young talent also has given Smith more freedom to wheel and deal. Midway through last season, Smith traded a 2008 second-round choice to Miami for wide receiver Chris Chambers. Smith also sent three picks - including a 2008 third-rounder - to Chicago during last year's draft for the chance to select safety Eric Weddle. Chambers and Weddle both made key plays on San Diego's march to the AFC title game.

Drayton Florence will soon be gone, but the Chargers have enough young talent to make up for it. (Donald Miralle / Getty Images)

"We're well stocked with starters under contract that we like with solid depth," Smith said. "Everyone pretty much knows who the 2008 Chargers are going to be."

They also know head coach Norv Turner will enter his second season under much less scrutiny than the first.

A largely unpopular replacement for the fired Marty Schottenheimer, Turner remained on the hot seat through the first 10 games of 2007. But the Chargers then reeled off eight consecutive wins, including a 28-24 second-round road playoff victory at Indianapolis despite the loss of Tomlinson and quarterback Philip Rivers to in-game injuries.

Smith said Turner's game-management skill in the playoffs was something San Diego sorely missed in previous seasons. The Chargers were 0-2 in postseason games under Schottenheimer, including a 2006 home loss to New England after finishing the regular season at 14-2.

"The way Norv maneuvered personnel, utilized his backups and his play calling, the players and whole world saw how good a job he did," said Smith, who hired Turner last February despite his 58-82-1 record elsewhere.

While admitting the Colts victory was his proudest head-coaching moment, Turner already is looking ahead to the 2008 campaign. With many Chargers starters entering their prime, Turner is hoping to give backup players like Oliver, wide receiver Buster Davis and linebacker Anthony Waters (a 2007 third-round compensatory pick) more of a chance to impress during mini-camps. Turner also said quarterback Charlie Whitehurst and tight end Legedu Naanee would receive more playing time with Rivers (knee) and Antonio Gates (toe) recovering from injuries.

"We have a lot of guys on our second and third group who are very talented but haven't played a lot," Turner said. "We really need to make sure they have a chance to grow this off-season."

If the Chargers grow, the club might not fall short again like in last season's 21-12 AFC Championship game loss to New England.

"We were three hours from going to the Super Bowl," Smith said. "A lot of people have told me that if we were healthy in that game, we might have beaten New England. I don't know that, but I appreciate the compliment."

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo619

It wasn't hard being a Charger fan when they were 1-15.

The ups come with the downs and vice versa, gotta accept that.

Go to the Raider thread to talk Raiders and the Charger thread to talk Chargers, simple.

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo619

It wasn't hard being a Charger fan when they were 1-15.

Go to the Raider thread to talk Raiders and the Charger thread to talk Chargers, simple.
If you look back in this thread my 1st reply was Charger RELATED. I said, "Is it me, or is PR throwing subliminals bout LT. Check out the video.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3207105 something to the effect of ~part of being a leader...gotta be able to play through injuries and be thereefor the guys~ "

The VERY next reply was yours

" Why are there Raider fans in a Chargers Offseason Thread? Shouldn't you all be looking for Jamarcus Russell in Bill Cosby sweater pics? TRADELT!!?!?! Are you guys stupid"

So which is it? I can't post here b/c I'm not a Charger fan? Or I can't post here b/c you say my input isn't Charger related? (Which I alreadyproved you are wrong about)

Charger thread is only for Charger fans? You need to broaden your horizons bro. You're not gonna like everything you hear regardless of what fans peopleare.

I dunno who was talkin bout trading LT.....but that wasn't me.

Haven't really been paying attention to the Chargers offseason so far, but it seems as if they've only managed to lose players to free agency. Thenagain, I can't think of an immediate need for the Chargers. Maybe a RB to help take the pressure off of Tomlinson. You guys have a fullback to step in forNeal. Eric Weddle will be a solid safety in place of McCree. Maybe add some depth to cornerback and wide receiver especially with Florence gone.

Who are the Chargers eying in the draft? or should be eying?

^^Berk, Im really hoping for Reggie Smith, at first I just knew he had skills and that it would be cool to get him. But now that ive checked out some of histape and such, I am really hoping that we can snag him if he falls that far in the first round. Also, either thru the draft or thru free agency, we needanother solid tackle. And some depth at corner wouldnt hurt either.

--Dennis, my dad is a Nascar fool. So he naturally yelled out for me to come see Merriman waving the flag at the race. lol. It was a good look for him. Firsttime Ive seen a pic of him that was off the field that wasnt in a club.

Rust, Reggie Smith seems like he would actually fit in well with the Chargers. He plays similarly to Quentin Jammer. Not hella fast, but big and physical.He'd be a good replacement for Florence.

I was actually just telling my homie how Reggie's game reminded me of Jammer's style of play. Im just hoping he IS the replacement for DFlo. I mean, Iwasnt the biggest DFlo supporter (a lot of dumb penalties and blown coverages at inopportune times) but he was still a solid player.

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

I was actually just telling my homie how Reggie's game reminded me of Jammer's style of play. Im just hoping he IS the replacement for DFlo. I mean, I
wasnt the biggest DFlo supporter (a lot of dumb penalties and blown coverages at inopportune times) but he was still a solid player.

Yeah, you guys need a replacement for Shane Olivea leaving though. What # do yall pick?

Currently we only have one first day pick at 27 in the first round. Im hoping thats Reggie. And honestly we need a guy thru the draft or thru free agency tofill that OT spot. Even if its a back up guy. Im actually glad Olivea is gone though, Im not the only one who noticed his fire for the game was extinguishedafter he received that big 6 year deal.

Not really much to fill up. I would say OT or definitely a DT with that 1st rd pick since J Wall is aging. Pinnock is good. Oliver will probably be the Nickel.I've been waiting for him to get on the field. We can always get a RB on the 2nd day. Who knows. Only AJ can work his magic.

I was actually just telling my homie how Reggie's game reminded me of Jammer's style of play. Im just hoping he IS the replacement for DFlo. I mean, I wasnt the biggest DFlo supporter (a lot of dumb penalties and blown coverages at inopportune times) but he was still a solid player.

More importantly about Reggie Smith, he's also a kick returner (although as a sooners fan, I wasn't always excited about his returns. But he wasgood for 20-30 yards everytime). Not saying he should return for us, we have sproles, but if he gets his hands on the ball he has chances for the take back. Hart, Weddle, and Cro all have "take it to the house" potential on a turnover. Add Reggie and were even more dangerous.

Even more importantly than that, Reggie is a shut down type of CB, ala Jammer. What makes the Jammer/Cro duo so dangerous is that Jammer covers his guy verywell, forcing the QB to throw at Cro. If we have another Nickelback like Jammer, then that makes the only option to throw at Cro (unless theres a TE in themix, but I think Weddle can handle that).

I really hope AJ smith thinks like we do, in this case. The only gamble is what round or pick he will go. With the fluctuation of good CB's in thisdraft, I think he has fallen to the 2nd round. I think if we trade down with atlanta or miami or whoever else in the high 2nd round we can still nab him. Butthe big problem with that is, he is also a safety. And IMO the 2nd rated safety on the board (and not far behind Kenny Philips at that), so that brings hisstock back up the 1st round if teams are looking at him like that.

I'll be back with some of my draft hopes later. AJ has said he's looking at ALL positions though, except for like 3. So AJ may just go by best playeravailable.

cant wait!
31c15cb1a30971fab5ea2f18ab144f5312cdf0b.gif

I was actually just telling my homie how Reggie's game reminded me of Jammer's style of play. Im just hoping he IS the replacement for DFlo. I mean, I wasnt the biggest DFlo supporter (a lot of dumb penalties and blown coverages at inopportune times) but he was still a solid player.

More importantly about Reggie Smith, he's also a kick returner (although as a sooners fan, I wasn't always excited about his returns. But he was good for 20-30 yards everytime). Not saying he should return for us, we have sproles, but if he gets his hands on the ball he has chances for the take back. Hart, Weddle, and Cro all have "take it to the house" potential on a turnover. Add Reggie and were even more dangerous.

Even more importantly than that, Reggie is a shut down type of CB, ala Jammer. What makes the Jammer/Cro duo so dangerous is that Jammer covers his guy very well, forcing the QB to throw at Cro. If we have another Nickelback like Jammer, then that makes the only option to throw at Cro (unless theres a TE in the mix, but I think Weddle can handle that).

I really hope AJ smith thinks like we do, in this case. The only gamble is what round or pick he will go. With the fluctuation of good CB's in this draft, I think he has fallen to the 2nd round. I think if we trade down with atlanta or miami or whoever else in the high 2nd round we can still nab him. But the big problem with that is, he is also a safety. And IMO the 2nd rated safety on the board (and not far behind Kenny Philips at that), so that brings his stock back up the 1st round if teams are looking at him like that.

I'll be back with some of my draft hopes later. AJ has said he's looking at ALL positions though, except for like 3. So AJ may just go by best player available.

cant wait!
Co-Sign like no other. Im hoping that AJ works his magic like he always does. I honestly cant complain about the last few years as far a draft pics. Imjust hoping and praying for Reggie. That will make the missing piece for the Dominant SD Secondary that I have been hoping for-- for atleast 3 years lol.
pimp.gif
CRO, Jammer, Weddle--Reggie? That would be a nightmare for recievingcorps around the league.

Alright lets do this.
pimp.gif

Secondary

Breakdown of our secondary real quick. Jammer is the shutdown corner, Cro is the ball hawk. Hart was the most athletic player on the team before cro camealong, and Weddle is an intelligent ball hawk. The Jammer/Cro duo works so well because Jammer cancel's out his reciever forcing the Cro to be thrown at,and cro often has a space between he and his wr, because he easily makes up for that once the ball is thrown, by his speed, vertical and long frame. Wedon't actually have a SS and a FS. They are interchangeable in our system. I think the ultimate goal, is to have safeties who can cover or play CB, so wecan send CB blitzes and the safeties can pick up the responsibilities, and also confuse the QB with the various schemes.

Now the prospects.

We spent a 4th rounder on Paul Oliver last year in the supplemental draft. One of the reasons we're so shorton draft picks this year. Paul Oliver is suppose to be very instinctive, shut down type of corner. He held Calvin Johnson to 2 catches and 13 yards as a Juniorat Georgia. The problems I have found with Oliver is that he's inconsistent, and lacks speed. He can shut down the elite WR's but the averageWR's have had good days on him. He was dropped out of college because of grades, which is what forced him to enter the supplemental draft. Those two factsright there show you he's unfocused, unfocused for his schoolwork and unfocused in his game play. Theres been talk of moving him to safety, but it'sjust rumor. I imagine it's true though because of his speed, and the fact that the average players had good days with him, considering as a nickel backthat's who he will be covering. He was expected to be a 1st rounder and top CB on the board this year, but that was last year, and a year is a bigdifference.

Ofcourse Antoine Cason, and Aqib Talib would be good for us. ButI'm not saying more than 2 sentences about them both at the same time, because they will be gone before us.

[color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Reggie Smith CB/S[/color]. Could fall to us at 27th, could go before that.Could possibly even fall to the 2nd. Like I said there's a plethora of CB's so that drops him, add that to an average combine/pro day workout pluscoming off of an injury and he's in the 2nd. As a safety though he is a 1st rounder definitely. IMO is simply the best solution for our secondary. Addsdepth and competition to our unexperienced Nickelback's and Safeties. Is a Play Maker, with a capital P and M. Hit's Hard, with a capital H. We couldfinally have that Safety that we've been wanting for a long time. And would compliment Cro and Jammer well on the inside. Perfect for us, simply put.

Positives: Well-built athlete. ... Rare size for the position. ... Instinctive player. ... Lacks elite timed speed, but is rarely beaten deep due to his smooth hip turn and route-recognition skills. ... Competitive player who battles for the ball. ... Physical. ... Uses his hands well to re-route the receiver and disrupt the timing with the quarterback. ... Reads the action quickly and is quick to support the run. ... Explosive hitter. ... Versatile defender with experience at free safety. ... Talented return specialist who shows the ability to make the first defender miss and has the vision to run to daylight.

Negatives: Has to answer questions about his timed speed. ... Broken toe suffered before the Fiesta Bowl will have to get a clean bill of health at the Combine. ... Has been protected by the aggressive nature of Oklahoma's defense. Quarterbacks simply didn't have much time to challenge him deep while dealing with the Sooner pass rush.

Compares To: Quentin Jammer, Chargers

[color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Charles Godfrey CB/S[/color]. AKA Plan B, if we can't nab Reggie. This guy on paper looks almost as good as Reggie Smith. The type of CB/S we need. Very raw though, not alot of experience. But he'll be learning from the best. Probably a 3rd rounder.

Analysis
Positives: Rare combination of size and speed. ... Well-built athlete who has the physique of a safety and track star speed. ... Versatile, having played his first two seasons at safety before making the transition to cornerback for his junior and senior seasons. ... Flashed ability previously in his career, but enjoyed a breakout senior campaign. ... Rare pure speed. ... Significant improvement as a senior in terms of technique, play recognition and creating turnovers. ... Physical defender. ... Reliable open-field tackler who aggressively supports the run from his cornerback position. ... Good initial quickness and physicality to re-route the receiver. ... Smooth transition to run downfield. ... Effective in zone coverage. ... Reads the quarterback's eyes and can break on the ball to make plays. ... Learned to use his hands much more effectively as a senior, improving from two INTs and five pass break-ups to five INTs and nine break-ups in second season at cornerback. ... Still learning the nuances of the position, but possesses legitimate upside. ... Hard worker. ... Team leader.

Negatives: Still a bit raw after only playing cornerback for two seasons. ... Elite timed speed, but this speed isn't always evident on the field. ... Faster than he is quick. ... Improved as a senior, but doesn't always recognize the play as quickly as scouts would like, showing only marginal break on the ball despite his experience and athleticism.

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 208 | 40-Time: 4.40

Strengths:
Has excellent size with a solid frame and long arms...Outstanding timed speed...A fantastic athlete...Real quick with a burst to close...Very good ball skills...Is strong and tough...Physical and aggressive...A reliable tackler...Will deliver the big hit...Is versatile with experience at two positions...Still improving and has a huge upside.

Weaknesses:
Extremely raw and still learning the position...Has to work on his technique when it comes to footwork and positioning...Marginal instincts and awareness...Doesn't play as fast as he times...Inconsistent and gives up too many big plays...He relies too heavily on his natural talent...Risky and might be a bit of a "Workout Warrior".

Notes:
Older brother El Roberson played quarterback at Kansas State...He played safety early in his college career and only moved to corner in '06...Finally started to fulfill his potential as a senior...Will test through the roof and it'll be easy to fall in love with his measurables but he is still somewhat of a developmental guy...He'll likely be chosen relatively early based more on potential than actual college production.

There's a guy named [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Justin King[/color], but he has some criminalcharges. Which pretty much means he's not playing in SD. But you can look him up, has a good scouting but is undeveloped.

[color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. CB[/color] Cro II. I left him last becauseI don't think he will make it to us either. But he's worth talking about. Basically a Cromartie 2. Athletic, even runs the 40 one second faster thanour own Cro. I don't think we need another cro, I think we need another Jammer. Also the following report showshe can be unfocused.....We definitely don't need another Flo or McCree. I was extremely disappointed in Florence with his boneheaded moves becauseof his potential, I would be twice as disappointed in Cro II.

Analysis
Positives: Has a tall, well-built frame with long arms, thick thighs and calves, tight abdomen and a frame that can carry additional bulk if he's moved to free safety at the next level...His range and fluid hips might make him a better fit at free safety at the next level, as his explosive closing burst reminds many of Philadelphia's Brian Dawkins... Does a nice job of slipping through trash to make plays in run force (made 22 of his 47 tackles in 2006 and 15 of 37 hits in 2007 vs. the run)...Self-starter that pushes others around him, showing a passion for the game that drives him to succeed...The thing you see constantly on film is his ability to identify his keys and react in an instant as the play develops (no need to digest)...Can mirror in the short area and shows quick reactions when playing off the line...Has outstanding feet and balance when adjusting to the receiver's moves and can flip his hips, redirect and plant sharply coming out of his breaks without needing to gather...Demonstrates a keen comprehension of zone concepts, along with the range and suddenness in his movements to react instantly to the ball in flight...Looks natural and continuous flipping his hips and coming out of his breaks cleanly...Explodes off the snap and can stay stride for stride with the receivers...Has the loose hips needed to quickly change direction and displays good explosion closing on the ball...Will cover ground suddenly tracking the ball in flight and has no problems running or trailing receivers throughout the route...Has the body control to make proper adjustments in attempts to get to the ball in flight...Can generate a strong jolt to reroute receivers at the line and knows how to stay on the hip of the receivers through their routes...Best when playing off the line, as he takes good angles in pursuit...Shows good awareness looking up receivers and anticipating the quarterback to jump the play...Has the speed and rip move to slip off the blocker's shoulder and displays the closing burst to pursue when he penetrates the backfield...What is evident on film is his upper-body strength, using it well to take on blocks and shed when working along the perimeter...Knows how to make adjustments to break down and fit when playing in the open and shows good desire to make the play...Has the speed to accelerate throughout the route and when he mirrors and trails the receiver, he is efficient at staying tight through the deep routes...Shows very good balance in his backpedal, as he is explosive in his plant and drive when he locates the ball...Needs to get stronger in his press technique, but he is smooth turning on the ball thanks to above average hip flexibility, as he transitions with no wasted motion...Has the range to pursue plays across the field and can run stride-for-stride with the speedy receivers.

Negatives: Does get a bit reckless in his play, resulting in costly penalties...Flagged three times in the first two games of 2006 for pass interference, and will get overconfident in his press-coverage skills, which isn't necessarily a weakness...Needs to do a better job of securing the ball on kickoff returns (had two costly fumbles in 2007)...Very effective in press coverage, but when he spends too much time attacking his man rather than playing off, he does not always anticipate the quarterback's moves...Shows urgency closing on the ball in man coverage, but sometimes rounds his angle to the ball after planting...Has natural hands, but you would like to see him use his incredible leaping ability more in attempts to break up or intercept the ball (needs to time his leaps in order to get to the ball at its highest point)...Must use his hands better to keep blockers away from his chest when trying to slip blocks working in trash...Does not work well vs. combo blocks, making him only adequate in filling the alleys...Easily engulfed when trying to slip past blocks in close quarters...Adequate tackler who will ankle bite at times rather than take on ball carriers head on...Will uncoil, but does a poor job of wrapping up...Has good closing speed, but when playing in the zone, he can get caught out of position when peeking into the backfield too long...As a senior, he struggled some with his jam technique as hands got outside his frame, but did compensate with good closing quickness...In the open field, he failed to face up as a tackler and looked sloppy breaking down his final year (see 2007 Southern and Eastern Kentucky games.

Compares To: TERENCE NEWMAN-Dallas...Rodgers-Cromartie is slightly faster than Newman, but he needs to show better patience in his play, as he does tend to get a bit out of control at times. Even though he has the speed to stay with receivers deep, he gets a bit reckless in his press-coverage technique and must do a better job of keeping his hands inside the frame when attempting to jam his opponent at the line of scrimmage. He added kickoff returner to his resume as a senior, but needs to be more conscious of securing the ball. Like Newman, he will utilize his quickness to excel in man coverage, but he needs to do a better job as a tackler, as he appears to be an ankle-biter rather than a face-up, wrap-up tackler.

Injury Report
2007: Did not participate in the OVC Outdoor Track Championships (5/07) due to an ankle sprain.

[color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Josh Barrett S [/color] Alot ofppl are hype on him because of his athleticism. I'm cool. Again, after having Flo and McCree, I'm very picky. Schefner called him out on NFLN andsaid he shouldn't have been clowning around at the Combine, and that he should be more focused and he's not there to have fun. I agree, but I don'tthink he should have been a robot. Either or he still seems to be the unfocused kind, with major athleticism.

Analysis
Positives: Well-built athlete who looks more like a linebacker than a safety. ... Well-proportioned frame. ... Good instincts for the position. ... Reads the action and puts himself in position to make plays on the ball. ... Aggressive in run support. ... Not afraid to mix it up with offensive linemen and fullbacks. ... Relies on his natural athleticism and hand usage to disengage from blockers. ... Good lateral quickness to string out the play. ... Good late burst.

Negatives: Not as physical as his size would indicate. ... Flashes as a big-time hitter, but isn't as consistent tackling in the open field. ... Only adequate change-of-direction agility when mirroring receivers, but does accelerate to tighten windows quickly. ... Has struggled with shoulder (right) injuries in the past, redshirting in 2003.

[color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Kenny Phillips the S[/color] may drop to us, but I doubt it.So nothing on him. [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]DJ Wolfe[/color] is somebody I've seen step up inthe redzone as a sooner's fan. He's projected as a 7th rounder, but if he doesn't get drafted he could be a nice UDFA to bring in and try out.

Defensive Line.

Castillo, J-Wall, Olshansky. AWESOME front line. When they actually play. One of the 3 is always injured, if not 2 of the three. So I Imagine AJ istargeting both NT and DE. I haven't looked at DE, because it's too broad of a position. College DT's and even OLB's often end up as DE'sin the NFL. And DE's in college often end up as OLB's in the pro's. So I'm not going anywhere near that. NT's on the other hand.....

[color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Red Bryant NT[/color]. A 3-4 Nose Tackle needs to be heavy. He needs tobe able to attract a double team, and even more importantly succeed against that double team. With that said there's very few NT's to begin with sizewise. After filtering out the trash, this is the only guy left. He's projected a 2nd-3rd rounder, butagain....with an average work out at his combine, and having that he had major knee surgery in November....He may drop to the 4th. He is 6'5 and 328 lbs.
glasses.gif

Analysis
Positives: Has a well-proportioned, thick and muscular frame that has room for further growth development without having the additional weight impact his impressive quickness...Has long arms, adequate hand size, thick thighs and calves, showing solid muscle tone throughout, especially in his broad shoulders...With his wide hips and thick lower body, it is very tough for blockers to gain movement off the snap vs. him...Shows keen awareness to the play developing...More of a run-containment type, but has the savvy and agility to slip blocks and wreak havoc in the backfield...Quick to find the football in pursuit and is not the type that will bite on play action or misdirection...Was called the team's "most important player" by the coaching staff, as they use his hard work as an example for the younger players to follow...Clocked at 4.95 in the 40-yard dash, he carries his equipment well and, by keeping his pads down and hands within his frame, he generates good movement off the snap...Can surprise a lethargic blocker and slip past double teams with his burst, showing the strength needed to get a good push off his man...Excels at neutralizing multiple blockers and has that hip shake you want when trying to execute counter moves (this allows a teammate to be free to make the play)....Quick to fill the rush lane and shows good creativity and spin moves shooting the gaps...Very combative with his hands and has the strength to shock and control an opponent when he locks on...Shows good power in attempts to disengage and is quite nimble when attacking the backfield...Type that demands constant double-team attention from his opponent, as he is very hard to move off the line...When he plants his feet and settles in for a battle, he uses his low center of gravity to gain leverage and he keeps his feet free, demonstrating very effective two-gap potential...His quick arm-over action and upper-body strength let him consistently beat his blocker off the snap...Keeps his hands active, even in tight quarter, staying within his frame to do a nice job of protecting his body from cut blocks...Has very good strength behind his hits and is an efficient wrap-up tackler with the long arms to engulf the perimeter runners....Demonstrates the lateral agility to push the outside running game back inside and the field vision to quickly locate the cutback lanes...Because of his wide frame and brute strength, when he makes a collision tackle, he instantly stops the ballcarrier's momentum -- will generally attack the runner's outside leg to impede forward progress...In 125 running plays directed at him, opponents managed to gain just 89 yards (0.71 yards per carry)...Immovable object at the point of attack and is quick to hunker down and fill the rush lanes...Has the short-area burst to close in a hurry and comes out of his stance with his hands ready to lock on, control and shed his blockers...Quick to stack at the point of attack and uses his low center of gravity and strength to gain leverage and hold his ground firmly...Best when playing over the center's head or giving a good arm-over action to gain advantage over the outside shoulder of the guards in attempts to apply pressure...Tough to defend in the short area when moving down the line and is very conscious of low blocks and how to avoid them...Knows how to time his leaps to get his fair share of pass deflections at the line of scrimmage...Alert for angle blocks and traps, using his hands effectively to counter.

Negatives: Diagnosed with dyslexia, but has overcome the issue and does well both academically and in retaining plays...Will short-arm at times, but stays after the blocker when doing so, using his body lean to get a push...Has good pursuit ability in the short area, but despite his timed speed, he will labor at times when running long distances...In long pursuit, he will get a bit high in his stance and narrow his base. When this happens, he fails to keep his feet free and while he can get over trash, he will get a little out of control...There is no leakage when working inside, but he will get a little out of control and miss tackles when operating in space...Has the speed to close, but must develop more pass-rush moves to become a threat...Uses mostly swim and rip moves, but with his hand strength, he should be more efficient when trying to club...Shows good agility squeezing the pocket, but when he gets narrow in his base coming off the edge, blockers can have some success forcing him out.

Compares To: CASEY HAMPTON-Pittsburgh...Bryant is bigger, faster and stronger than Hampton, but both play with great anticipation and short-area explosion to dominate vs. the run. Bryant is very good at neutralizing double teams and has few peers when it comers to shutting down the inside running game. He is a tireless worker in the trenches who has not been used much as a pass rusher, but with his speed, lateral agility and strength, he could develop nicely there if a patient coaching staff teaches him proper technique. Whether in a 3-4 as a nose guard or in a 4-3 alignment as a defensive tackle, few blockers at the professional level will have success containing him.

Injury Report
2006: Sat out the Baylor game after he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee vs. Oklahoma State, but returned the following week vs. Oklahoma. Underwent surgery to repair knee damage on Nov. 17, missing the Aggies' final games vs. Nebraska, Texas and California.

Offense.

I'm not getting into the ROL, which is a position of need indefinitely. It is very deep, AJ has recognizedthis and mentioned it. So that means he could draft a RT anywhere in the draft. I know next year's ROL is suppose to be even deeper, so it could be apossibility that he holds out until next year...And also considering that Clary may be the guy for the job, considering he beat out Shane Olivea, even thoughOlivea didn't put out much of a challenge. There's a guy named [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]King Dunlap[/color] who played with Marcus McNeil at Auburn, and is really a MarcusMcNeil pt. II size wise (long arms etc.) but may not be as talented. Didn't have a good combine, could be a VERY late rounder with potential. [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Brandon Keith[/color] has alot of strength and potential, but was kicked out ofOklahoma's practice. The Kelly family (the great Defensive coaches) has said he's a great prospect. There's a guy named [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Legergereger(sp??)[/color] or some sht who's VERY VERY strong, like 1000 lbdeadlift strong but dont quote me on that, and play's Center. We definitely need a Center because our back up is not a very good backup from what we sawthis year. I can't find much on him though.....We'll see.

AJ has said he's not looking at TE. We are stacked at TE with Gates, Manu and Chandler who is 6'9
eek.gif
sick.gif
(Also Naanee). But TE is somewhat deep too. AJ is the biggest poker player in the draft, so he may be just saying that to throw the teams off. Heactually interviewed some TE's at the combine, but that could just be scouting for future reference of competitors, trades etc. My favorites are theFinley's...Jermichael Finley of Texas, and Jo Jon Finley ofOklahoma. Both of them block well, run routes well, and catch well. They both can hit well too. Jermichael Finley is raw and underdeveloped (not exactly abad thing though). There was a guy who tore up the combine, named Dustin Keller also. I think all 3 of those are3-4th rounders.

WR. We are stacked at WR. TOO MANY WR's. But AJ did not rule out the WR position. We spent a 1st last yearon Buster Davis and a 2nd this year on Chambers. Eric Parker is back this year, who was Rivers favorite receiver in his first starting year. Malcolm Floyddid not get cut (yet) like everybody expected, especially since he didn't even make a few game roster's in the end of the year. But he may be tradebait. But I thought Malcolm Floyd had more potential than V-Jax (until I saw him rip the playoffs that is) because he has softer hands and runs better routes. Naanee is a hybrid, has played WR, FB, TE and QB. He is awesome IMO. So you can see we are kind of packed at that position. That makes 7 WR's on ourroster with Kassim. With that said again, AJ did not rule out receiver. I haven't looked much into it though. [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Malcolm Kelly[/color] looks like the #1 type of receiver we've always needed who is unstoppable with softhands and blocks well (until we went and got Chambers that is). Buster Davis I believe is being groomed as the #1 WR but I don't see him as more than aslot receiver, a good slot receiver. The same with V-Jax as just a #2, hopefully Chambers will play awesome till he's 36 (7 more years). [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Limas Sweed[/color] is an athletic strong reciever. I doubt either, will fall to us anyway. Other than that,I'm not much interested in the 1st rounders and haven't looked at anything at the later round steals.

FB/RB. I guarantee you that with Lo'Neal gone, they will draft a FB. Not because we need one, because Pinnockis cool, but for added competition and depth. RB...we have some Practice squad players who may be good enough (Germaine Race). But RB is VERY deep this year,so we may grab a big bus guy. I like [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Tashard Choice[/color] in the middlerounds, but he's not exactly the beater, pause. I'll let AJ figure that out (like he listens to us anyways, or does he?) But I do have a FB who Norvwill appreciate. Norv has said that he needs an "F-Back" in our system. An "F-back" is a hybrid FB, who can run, block, and run routes.Behold.....

[color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Carl Stewart FB/RB[/color]. Is that "F-back" type that Norv iswaiting for. Can catch the ball and has YAC ability. Cleaned the house at the Combine. And even better is projected to go at round 6.
happy.gif
Check out his Combine stats.

• Ranked 2nd in Bench Press with 30 reps
  • 1st in Vertical Jump with 39 inches
  • Tied for 1st in long jump with 11'2"
Analysis
Positives: Well-built athlete. ... Lacks the wide shoulders of a traditional fullback prospect, but is an impressive physical specimen. ... Good burst to and through the hole. ... Good agility and elusiveness for a back of his size. ... Natural receiver who runs good routes and can track the ball over his shoulder. ... Good initial contact as a lead blocker.

Negatives: Powerful enough to run through arm tackles, but isn't truly explosive. ... Isn't the physical grinder as an interior runner usually associated with the fullback position. ... Marginal blocker at this time. ... Lacks the sand in his pants to blast the defender out of the hole and too often resorts to cut blocks when in pass protection.

Ohh yea [color= rgb(0, 255, 255)]Tashard Choice[/color] real quick. One of many OU's efficientRB's. After getting beat out by Adrian Peterson, he transferred basically. Really just an all around back, not exactly the quick type nor the pound type -pause. But a good complimentary that's stronger than our capable mighty mouse.

Analysis
Positives: Physical back who rarely goes down on initial contact. ... True north-south runner who can hit the hole and fights for extra yards. ... Good vision. ... Has cutback ability and acceleration to and through the hole to get to the open field.

Negatives: Lacks the quick feet and breakaway speed to fit every NFL offense. ... Isn't the quickest, fastest or most elusive. ... Remained productive even without Calvin Johnson to draw safeties away from the line of scrimmage. ... Some question his durability.

Alright that was fun, back to my all night college ******

PLEASE feel free to add some prospects. I take more interest in the later round jackpots than the higher round give me's. Especially since we don'thave many high picks.

Edit: Team Grammar need not apply, Team Insomnia has my back.

Good Job on that draft analysis Buggz. I actually read the entire thing. A lot of info that I didnt previously know about.

Im still on Reggie (no fruta)
but im liking this Red Bryant dude...

Red Bryant NT. A 3-4 Nose Tackle needs to be heavy. He needs to be able to attract a double team, and even more importantly succeed against that double team.With that said there's very few NT's to begin with size wise. After filtering out the trash, this is the only guy left. He's projected a 2nd-3rdrounder, but again....with an average work out at his combine, and having that he had major knee surgery in November....He may drop to the 4th. He is 6'5and 328 lbs.

laugh.gif
yea I needed a break from mid term madness. Still haven't been to sleep yet. I need to pull an all nighter tonight, but I'm forcing myself to gotosleep.

And it's like they are the obvious choices for our team. It'll be interesting to see if AJ can make the moves that it requires. Or if he'll go awhole other direction and surprise us again.

Either or I'm very excited for the years to come. It's just too bad I can't enjoy it in person. Hopefully I'll move up in the job market andland a SD job, especially since there is a big job market there for me.

But I recommend the Chargers Fan Forum (DraftTalk)when it comes to the draft. They are pretty up on draft picks. You just gotta filter out the ignorance. Ican't stand General and Free Agent talk though. They get ridiculous with their statements.

laugh.gif
yea I needed a break from mid term madness. Still haven't been to sleep yet. I need to pull an all nighter tonight, but I'm forcing myself to goto sleep.

And it's like they are the obvious choices for our team. It'll be interesting to see if AJ can make the moves that it requires. Or if he'll go a whole other direction and surprise us again.

Either or I'm very excited for the years to come. It's just too bad I can't enjoy it in person. Hopefully I'll move up in the job market and land a SD job, especially since there is a big job market there for me.

But I recommend the Chargers Fan Forum (DraftTalk)when it comes to the draft. They are pretty up on draft picks. You just gotta filter out the ignorance. I can't stand General and Free Agent talk though. They get ridiculous with their statements.

Post the link Buggz. I tried searching for it and all I came up on was this:
The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed.
But I would like to get down on that. (no fruta).

Im hoping AJ works his miraculous magic... AGAIN!
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
yea I needed a break from mid term madness. Still haven't been to sleep yet. I need to pull an all nighter tonight, but I'm forcing myself to goto sleep.

And it's like they are the obvious choices for our team. It'll be interesting to see if AJ can make the moves that it requires. Or if he'll go a whole other direction and surprise us again.

Either or I'm very excited for the years to come. It's just too bad I can't enjoy it in person. Hopefully I'll move up in the job market and land a SD job, especially since there is a big job market there for me.

But I recommend the Chargers Fan Forum (DraftTalk)when it comes to the draft. They are pretty up on draft picks. You just gotta filter out the ignorance. I can't stand General and Free Agent talk though. They get ridiculous with their statements.

Post the link Buggz. I tried searching for it and all I came up on was this:
The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed.
But I would like to get down on that. (no fruta).

Im hoping AJ works his miraculous magic... AGAIN!
pimp.gif

Cro in Black and red foams?????? Do I see a Nike Cro in the works or maybe even JB????
pimp.gif

39500_450w380h.jpg

39493_450w380h.jpg

39498_450w380h.jpg

I'd be kinda mad if Cro got his own shoe before LT did though. But I'd cop with the quickness. The quickness of the cro.

Cro chillin' with the Blue Angels. I like it. A Cro JB shoe would be super dope. Doesnt LT have a shoe already? With nike? or was it the kids turf shoeonly... I think Dennis posted it a while back in the old SD Thread.

LT does have a sig shoe, the Scream LT.

pG01-2733842p275w.jpg

and these...

0900631b812bf082M.tif

But LT getting the PP treatment.

Unfair to us fans IMHO. Was at Skeedro outlet to pick up the ZKII Lites a couple weeks back and saw a dope LT shirt for the Kids. Damn Nike, why you guys gottado us like that?

I hope Cro goes with Nike though.

Haven't seen a nike trainer sell well since Bo and Barry.

Let's wait and see though.

^^those are ugly. LT getting the short end of the stick. It would be dope for Cro to get a shoe. And hopefully not a boo boo one like LTs.

damn, those aint even the shoes he's wearing in the advertisements (forgot the name, something light or something). That's bull...

Back
Top Bottom