Official Rockets (55-27) Season Thread-5th place, HCA

How did this happen? Tmac has the worst luck ever.

Well if we somehow make it past the first round, tracys gets all the credit

man i'm depressed
tired.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
embarassed.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

I'd like to formally apologize for jinxing T-Mac.
tired.gif

Soon after posting that pic, Yao goes down.
ohwell.gif

Let's see if T-Mac can step up to the plate and accept the challenge.

My apologies Rocket fans.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I'd like to formally apologize for jinxing T-Mac.
tired.gif

Soon after posting that pic, Yao goes down.
ohwell.gif

Let's see if T-Mac can step up to the plate and accept the challenge.

My apologies Rocket fans.
frown.gif

Don't sweat it.

T-Mac is going to lead this team to the playoffs.
pimp.gif

Yao's injury shouldn't cripple Rockets' playoff hopes

By John Hollinger
ESPN Insider

Obviously, the loss of Yao Ming for the season is terrible news for the Houston Rockets, not to mention a slap to the egos of those of us who picked them to win the title.

But the more immediate question today is: How will they fare without Yao? Can they hang on and still make the playoffs?

The first instinct is to say no. It's a nine-team battle for the West's eight playoff spots, and with the conference being such a powerhouse it seems as though Houston is the obvious team to fall out of the race.

But when we go through the math of the Rockets' schedule, a different conclusion emerges.

Houston is 36-20 this season, with 26 games left to play. According to the Hollinger playoff odds, it will take 48 wins to make it to the postseason in the Western Conference.

Thus, the Rockets need to go only 12-14 the rest of the way to have a good shot at qualifying for the playoffs. Given that they've been roughly a .500 team over the years when Yao doesn't play (28-34, to be exact) and that his teammates were playing extremely well at the time of the injury, 12-14 doesn't seem that daunting a task.

That's especially true when you consider the remaining cupcakes on their slate. The Rockets have nine home games left against losing teams (Washington, Memphis, Indiana, New Jersey, Charlotte, Sacramento, Minnesota, Seattle and the Clippers). At a minimum, one would think they'll take seven of these.

A few of the road games don't seem so daunting either: Seattle, the Clippers, Sacramento and Atlanta, for instance. Suppose they split those four.

That's 9-4 out of those 13 games -- easily attainable provided T-Mac doesn't join Yao on the sidelines. If so, that means Houston needs to go only 3-12 in the other 15 games, five of which are at home.

If they really want to help their odds, three of those games will be particularly meaningful. Houston still plays Golden State once and Denver twice. Wins in those games would help them gain ground overall, push down their competitors and perhaps win an extra tiebreaker or two. As of now, the Rockets are 1-1 against Denver, with two matchups to go -- and 1-2 versus Golden State, with one game to go.

So, considering their schedule, I suspect they'll pull out a No. 7 or No. 8 seed.

Furthermore, the Rockets have quality depth, unlike in some previous seasons.

To fill in for Yao, there's Dikembe Mutombo, who fared well while Yao was out a year ago. Additionally, many of Yao's minutes will go to rookie Carl Landry who, unbelievably, leads the team in PER -- he averages 19.1 points and 12.8 rebounds per 40 minutes and is shooting 61.6 percent. I'm not saying he'll keep up such a prolific rate, but clearly he's not chopped liver.

We should see Houston play small more often, with Shane Battier as a power forward and Landry, Luis Scola or Chuck Hayes as a center. Last week's trade for Bobby Jackson lets the Rockets do this more effectively because they have an additional creator in the backcourt.

One way or another, I think they'll manage. So if you're a Denver or Golden State fan and think this injury has brought you a reprieve from the lottery, you might want to double-check that assumption. With a three-game lead and less than two months to play, Houston should be a playoff team, even without Yao.

he did last year when Yao went out, of course he has played about 19 minutes all season so he should be rested up. But we need some kind of depth at the C now,anything would help

Well, obviously this hurts you guys in the middle. No question about that.

The thing is, how do you guys think the team will respond without Yao in the middle until next year? I still see them making the playoffs, but they will have atough fight (as will every team) to stay alive in the post-season.

How badly do you guys think this cripples the team?

^IDK, I have faith in Landry and Scola, I think we will still make the playoffs but our chances of advancing are much more slim now. I still have faith though.

im not as worried as i would have been 4 weeks ago just because every one not named Yao and Tracy has been stepping up lately making this team better and thereason we have won 12 in a row. We just need to find a filler at the 5 spot for some depth.

Originally Posted by rocketzballa23

^IDK, I have faith in Landry and Scola, I think we will still make the playoffs but our chances of advancing are much more slim now. I still have faith though.
Thing is, even with Yao going down, you guys are still in a good situation. The only ligitimate threat that stands in your way is a team with adominant big; Phoenix and San Antonio.
Lakers - Pau can be guarded by Scola/Bynum is good but not as dominant
Mavs - No dominant big
Utah - Boozer is good, but again, Houston will not struggle as much with the loss of Yao
New Orleans - might pose a threat with Chandler/West.
Golden State - Again, no dominant big. A guard's team
Denver - Marcus is a beast on D, but defending their bigs wont be a problem for Houston

If you look at it, the loss of Yao doesnt hurt the Rockets as much as it could have in years past. The only real threats in the middle that I see is againstSan Antonio, Phoenix, and New Orleans.

Its bad losing a player like Yao, but at the same time, you guys arent hopeless. I still think the Rockets can make a push to get a good seeding, and get ashot at advancing.

I meant in strength. Dirk is extremely good, but his forte doesnt involve the paint.

Nothing against Dallas, because they are still a very good team, and got ALOT better with Kidd. I was just talking in terms of strength inside.

we'll make the playoffs. landry/scola will man the socring and our D just goes up another level w/ deke playing 10-12 mins here and there.

i just pray for a good first round matchup and tmac goes bananas.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif
looks like your going to take down Washington, THE STREAK CONTINUES AFTER THE MING DYNASTY!

this team plays defense. our D will be even better w/o yao. and it appears scola/landry will give us around 30 pts a night. this team will be fine.it's just the championship is gone.

Back
Top Bottom