***Official Political Discussion Thread***

This gets discussed in the Seattle area. I was talking to a friend of mine today about this. He works for a contractor that does large scale buildings (malls, high rise apartments, condos, etc.). He said it's cheaper to tear the buildings down and start over. Converting commercial buildings to residential is a nightmare.
Cool

Then they should tear them down and build high rise apartments

Microsoft just abandoned three large office towers near me (Bellevue, east of Seattle). They'll be empty for a loooooong time, if not forever. Amazon built four huge towers nearby and they won't even fill them. They're just finishing the exteriors and going to let them sit for awhile.

Only way I'm going back to the office

cuba-gooding-jr-arrest.gif

I was unsure at the start of the pandemic but after three years but as the older executives at the top continue to age out and are replaced by younger folks that hybrid or remote work is here to stay. I am all for it and love the idea of turning those lots into affordable housing. It ends up being much better for the employer, employees and the community.

He said it's cheaper to tear the buildings down and start over. Converting commercial buildings to residential is a nightmare.
This.

There are building standards (civil, electrical, fire, plumbing, hvac) that apply to commercial buildings but don't necessarily translate to residential dwellings. In order to do these conversions, they'll have to address these code discrepancies and they also have to make sure that the new modifications don't create unintended violations. It's just too much time, too much effort, which usually means too much extra money to spend.
Wtf, commercial buildings get converted all the time into million dollar condos here.
That's another thing: for private developers, the resources needed to make commercial buildings compliant with residential building codes may only be worth deploying if the resulting dwellings produce enough revenue to cover the loss of value of office buildings on top of the expected profit, which means they're only willing to renovate these spaces into luxury homes.

Like many things, the fact that commercial buildings can't be easily repurposed just reflects how ****** the original construction must've been. Rows and rows of cubicles, etc, is the building equivalent of modern suburbs. Low quality, boring, unimaginative, and of course no other use for it.

i lived before in an old building that was remade into an apartment complex. high ceilings, big windows, thick walls. it was great.

I never really go in offices but I just imagine they are like big open warehouses with carpet and cubicles.

Just tear them down if it’s easier. More GOOD jobs. Super in demand field that pays well.
Traditional desks / offices became mostly obsolete with the invention of the laptop 30 years ago, and for sure after remote desktop became functional ~10 years ago.

New buildings with decent investment (I assume where they actually paid a good architect) have embraced some of this, with more multipurpose work areas, dynamic environments, etc. But I don't think they've really figured out how to keep up with the post-COVID reality. Ideally the office should be appealing enough that you want to go in to work even if you don't have to. The elephant in the room is of course the commute and the soul crusher that driving in traffic every day is.

You're right though. At least in cities where real estate is a premium, it'll be worth it to spend whatever it takes to rebuild. But in cities with sprawling "tech" parks, I imagine they'll rot away like many malls have been.

Back
Top Bottom