Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

solemunchies wrote:
solemunchies wrote:

Can anyone recommend me a lens that I can use for indoor parties and also a lens for all-around use as well, please and thank you

I'm using a Canon XSi

I suggest you get a Kit lens with a flash .. even 1.2 prime and high ISO will not be enough .. some people do it but that's not my taste and more often than not a flash is needed ... so if you want to continue with the kit lens which is 18-55 IS and spend a few bucks for a flash - I think you will be find .. Hell everytime I shoot indoors at parties have been with 10-22 and a flash ... everything else is just to long to capture the mood of the clubs .. just a bunch of head shoots if that .. expecially on a crop!

Alright cool thanks, I actually just got a 430EXII. Do you think a diffuser would be necessary? I've been shooting with an OLD 28-70...it's decent, I guess.
eyes.gif

yes the old 28-70 is a decent lens indeed, however I don't think it will be ideal for parties nonetheless house parties .. you might needsomething wider and yes the 430II will work perfectly and you will need a diffuser or bounce card or something to soften the light ..

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

solemunchies wrote:
solemunchies wrote:

Can anyone recommend me a lens that I can use for indoor parties and also a lens for all-around use as well, please and thank you

I'm using a Canon XSi
I suggest you get a Kit lens with a flash .. even 1.2 prime and high ISO will not be enough .. some people do it but that's not my taste and more often than not a flash is needed ... so if you want to continue with the kit lens which is 18-55 IS and spend a few bucks for a flash - I think you will be find .. Hell everytime I shoot indoors at parties have been with 10-22 and a flash ... everything else is just to long to capture the mood of the clubs .. just a bunch of head shoots if that .. expecially on a crop!

Alright cool thanks, I actually just got a 430EXII. Do you think a diffuser would be necessary? I've been shooting with an OLD 28-70...it's decent, I guess.
eyes.gif

yes the old 28-70 is a decent lens indeed, however I don't think it will be ideal for parties nonetheless house parties .. you might need something wider and yes the 430II will work perfectly and you will need a diffuser or bounce card or something to soften the light ..

Speaking of wide, what wide angle lens do you recommend for like a "starting" wide angle lens?
My teacher uses a 16-35 and he's lent me that lens and it's pretty good but out of my budget for a while
I'm looking for a cheap and durable wide-angle

Originally Posted by solemunchies

solemunchies wrote:
solemunchies wrote:

I'm using a Canon XSi

eyes.gif
yes the old 28-70 is a decent lens indeed, however I don't think it will be ideal for parties nonetheless house parties .. you might need something wider and yes the 430II will work perfectly and you will need a diffuser or bounce card or something to soften the light ..

Speaking of wide, what wide angle lens do you recommend for like a "starting" wide angle lens?
My teacher uses a 16-35 and he's lent me that lens and it's pretty good but out of my budget for a while

18-55mm IS

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by norcalballgirl23

nice stuff everyone. dont think ive shared these yet...
Judging from the second shot (In SF), I'm assuming these houses are in the Sunset district (or around there)?

And if I'm way off...errr, nice shots nonetheless.
you're actually pretty close. just wrong side of GG park. i took on my street in the Richmond District.
good lookin out though =)

on an unrelated note, somebody get the pres a nikon lol

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

18-55mm IS
I also bet your teacher is using a FF camera like a 5D or 1Ds ... so 16-35 to get something close to that on a crop you will have to look for a10-22 which people call it UWA lens .. or if you want wider and 16 is good enough .. try the 17-40L which comes pretty close without breaking the bank or 17-85IS .. if you want UWA look at the 11-16 Tokina 2.8

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

18-55mm IS
I also bet your teacher is using a FF camera like a 5D or 1Ds ... so 16-35 to get something close to that on a crop you will have to look for a 10-22 which people call it UWA lens .. or if you want wider and 16 is good enough .. try the 17-40L which comes pretty close without breaking the bank or 17-85 IS .. if you want UWA look at the 11-16 Tokina 2.8
Thank you and I appreciate your insight and your responses
smile.gif

CANON INSTANT REBATES: May 3 - July 11, 2009

Camera Bodies

EOS 50D Kit + EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - $300
EOS 50D EF-S 18-200mm IS Kit - $300
EOS 50D EF 28-135mm IS Kit + EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - $300
EOS 50D Kit + EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - $150
EOS 50D EF 28-135mm IS Kit + EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - $150
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]EOS Rebel XSi EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit (B) + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - $200[/color]
EOS Rebel XS EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit (B) + EF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 III - $100
EOS Rebel XS EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit (S) + EF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 III - $100

Lenses

EF 200mm f/2L IS USM - $500
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM - $130
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM - $200
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM - $100
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM - $100
EF 50mm f/1.2L USM - $100
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM - $80
EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM - $75
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - $70
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - $50
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM - $50
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM - $40
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - $50
EF 100mm f/2.8 MACRO USM - $35
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 MACRO USM - $30
EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM - $30
EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM - $20
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - $15

Flash Units

SPEEDLITE 580EX II - $50
SPEEDLITE 430EX II - $30
SPEEDLITE 220EX - $30
MACRO TWIN LITE MT-24EX - $70
MACRO RING LITE MR-14EX - $50

Decent rebate for the XSi kit + 55-250 IS. You basically get everything for $800.

that's pretty good .. expecially if you can buy that over AAFES (Militart site) that has 15% discount and no tax or shipping then $200 dollars off and yoube good ..

To bad it doesnt have them for 5DII ..

Right now I would of have gottent he 5DII NIB for 2100+ from AAFES with the discount .. $200 dollars more and wow ....

I FINALLY GOT MY LENS! hahaha $236.25 with tax. $25 above retail but i ain't trippin.

i wasn't really trying to shoot, just pointing and shooting so nothing special. i'm just excited!

i was surprised at the quality. i didn't know it'd be this sharp.

3486612927_06399f0a71_o.jpg

3487428252_e639c88d97_o.jpg

3487428290_66bba9bdb4_o.jpg

3487428032_bfbba526d2_o.jpg

Originally Posted by solemunchies

solemunchies wrote:
solemunchies wrote:

I'm using a Canon XSi

eyes.gif

A 16-35 is a very good lens mainly for full frame SLR's. If your shooting with a 1.6 crop SLR the three most popular UWA lenses would be theCanon 10-22, Sigma 10-20, and Tokina 11-16. Pros for all three of them and i'd research all three of them if your in the market for one. I personally havethe Sigma 10-20 and it's a great lens. I read reviews on it and head to head comparisons on it and it beat out the Canon in some challenges and the canonbeat it in some, but in the end the price difference made it way to easy for me and i went with the Sigma. Sigma new is about $429 and the Canon new is about$700. Tokina is great also with full time f/2.8 but that one extra millimeter on the short end makes a difference and the extra reach of the Canon and Sigmamade me go with one of those. Here's a link to a Canon and Sigma comparison.

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/uwatest

Originally Posted by mjbetch

I FINALLY GOT MY LENS! hahaha $236.25 with tax. $25 above retail but i ain't trippin.

i wasn't really trying to shoot, just pointing and shooting so nothing special. i'm just excited!

i was surprised at the quality. i didn't know it'd be this sharp.

indifferent.gif
how you gonna get the lens in before i do.
laugh.gif
jk, congrats. i couldnt stop refreshing the UPS page all day today looking to see if my shipment magicallyhopped on a plane and landed on my doorstep.

^ congrats man. try doing some "macro" shots and you'll really start to appreciate the bokeh of that lens

^ i was just about to ask you about your T1i sincei just saw it on your flickr hahaha.

how much for the G10?!?

Originally Posted by mjbetch

^ i was just about to ask you about your T1i sincei just saw it on your flickr hahaha.

how much for the G10?!?
$700 CDN... cause I used it. Value went up.

laugh.gif

$450 CDN. It retails for $579 here so I think its priced to sell.

yesterday I went out to test some shoots and wide open most shoots where off when at a distance - up close or stomp down it was hardly noticeble .. back focusing issue that is ...

I will start posting pictures anyways .. a least the ones that came out ok ..

here's ODB - if you know who that is ... lol

3485882397_9e923e7ab1_o.jpg

P.S. ISO1600
great shot.. esp at that iso... but i bet that dude has too many teeth to be ODB
laugh.gif

congrats mjbetch on the pickup.. do you have a flickr?

SaNTi0321 - congrats on your pickup as well.. [waits for Santi to come thru with someheat].....

dude I dont like the fact we have two thread going .. lol .. cool idea, but damn - I'm old fashion, somethings are hard to get use to ....

I suppose this was meant to be posted in the other thread, but screw it .. just a snapshot ...

3487745792_c5b94b56ac_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom