Official PC thread.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

didn't buy a good video card to play a game with xbox graphics
30t6p3b.gif
. did they forget where they started?

They did it to reach a wider spectrum, and I know as PC gamers, were obsessed with graphics, but you cant forget to have fun...

It's time for some upgrades! Help me figure out what I can improve. I'm trying to get GTA4 running at least at 60fps on high settings with a larger viewing distance, or as fast as possible with this current mobo/cpu setup. I'm willing to upgrade the video card now and mobo/cpu/power supply later

My machine:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale (3.17GHz)
- Will overclocking help me at all? I have pretty good cooling for it. Something similar to this.

Motherboard: Asus PQ5 Pro

Memory: 4GB DDR3 (I think it's DDR3?)

Video: GeForce 9800GT

My GTAIV Benchmark results:

Statistics
Average FPS: 25.39
Duration: 37.33 sec
CPU Usage: 96%
System memory usage: 72%
Video memory usage: 79%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1360 x 768 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Reflection Resolution: Medium
Water Quality: Medium
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Medium
View Distance: 50
Detail Distance: 36

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
Video Driver version: 258.96
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8500  @ 3.16GH

It's time for some upgrades! Help me figure out what I can improve. I'm trying to get GTA4 running at least at 60fps on high settings with a larger viewing distance, or as fast as possible with this current mobo/cpu setup. I'm willing to upgrade the video card now and mobo/cpu/power supply later

My machine:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale (3.17GHz)
- Will overclocking help me at all? I have pretty good cooling for it. Something similar to this.

Motherboard: Asus PQ5 Pro

Memory: 4GB DDR3 (I think it's DDR3?)

Video: GeForce 9800GT

My GTAIV Benchmark results:

Statistics
Average FPS: 25.39
Duration: 37.33 sec
CPU Usage: 96%
System memory usage: 72%
Video memory usage: 79%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1360 x 768 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Reflection Resolution: Medium
Water Quality: Medium
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Medium
View Distance: 50
Detail Distance: 36

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
Video Driver version: 258.96
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8500  @ 3.16GH

new gpu for sure.

gtx 460, gtx 560, radeon 6850/70, radeon 6950/70, gtx 570 all under 300.

well, 6970 and 570 are around 330ish.

for cpu/mobo upgrade, i'd wait until the whole sandy bridge deal is sorted out

new gpu for sure.

new gpu for sure.

What's the deal with that issue? I heard things here and there but never got the full grasp.  

edit:
And also, should the GTX 560 last a cpu upgrade, or would it be a bottle neck? I'm looking for something that will last.

new gpu for sure.

What's the deal with that issue? I heard things here and there but never got the full grasp.  

edit:
And also, should the GTX 560 last a cpu upgrade, or would it be a bottle neck? I'm looking for something that will last.

something about the sata ports (i think sata II) on mobos going doing in performance after awhile if i remember correctly. i think the fix was going to come this month, not sure tho.

something about the sata ports (i think sata II) on mobos going doing in performance after awhile if i remember correctly. i think the fix was going to come this month, not sure tho.

Only one way to find out. Granted its not going to get you close to 60. you may gain 2-9 fps depending on the o/c. The quad cores intels didn't see much improvement when o/ced and benched in GTAIV(2-3 fps).

Only one way to find out. Granted its not going to get you close to 60. you may gain 2-9 fps depending on the o/c. The quad cores intels didn't see much improvement when o/ced and benched in GTAIV(2-3 fps).

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

:-/ I have never overclocked before, and I'm really not willing to for 2-3fps... Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

:-/ I have never overclocked before, and I'm really not willing to for 2-3fps... Thanks for the info.

looks like gtaiv is more cpu dependent than anything.

don't remember hearing good things about gta performance either. but either way, any of those cards is an upgrade from your 9800 GT and you'll be obviously able to use it on your upgrade. i recently picked up an MSI ENGTX 460 768MB for 150. not my build or else i would have gotten the 1GB version, but i think 768 would be enough for decent settings @ decent FPS.

i also suggest the MSI twin frozr or Asus DirectCU for the 560/570s.

comparison of those 2 and a reference card

looks like gtaiv is more cpu dependent than anything.

don't remember hearing good things about gta performance either. but either way, any of those cards is an upgrade from your 9800 GT and you'll be obviously able to use it on your upgrade. i recently picked up an MSI ENGTX 460 768MB for 150. not my build or else i would have gotten the 1GB version, but i think 768 would be enough for decent settings @ decent FPS.

i also suggest the MSI twin frozr or Asus DirectCU for the 560/570s.

comparison of those 2 and a reference card

Yeah, from what I read, GTA was ported and doesnt really do a good job at running well on the PC. Thanks to both of you for the input, though.

Yeah, from what I read, GTA was ported and doesnt really do a good job at running well on the PC. Thanks to both of you for the input, though.

anybody on chrome having problems with this thread?

i can't edit my posts without it becoming unresponsive. hell, if i want to do anything after i posted i have to close the tab and open a new one.

anybody on chrome having problems with this thread?

i can't edit my posts without it becoming unresponsive. hell, if i want to do anything after i posted i have to close the tab and open a new one.

About a year old now:
Azza Solano 1000 tower
Asus P6T X58 MB
Intel I7-920 (~20% OC) with V8 cooler system
Windows 7
1 TB, 72000 RPM SATA HD
Nvidia GTX 285 2GB version GPU
6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866 RAM
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card
Thermaltake 1000 Watt power supply

About a year old now:
Azza Solano 1000 tower
Asus P6T X58 MB
Intel I7-920 (~20% OC) with V8 cooler system
Windows 7
1 TB, 72000 RPM SATA HD
Nvidia GTX 285 2GB version GPU
6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866 RAM
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card
Thermaltake 1000 Watt power supply

Man you need to blow the dust off that thing. I clean mine out every other weekend. Carpet + dogs + huge fans = bad combo

Man you need to blow the dust off that thing. I clean mine out every other weekend. Carpet + dogs + huge fans = bad combo

Kinda want to add or upgrade something, but don't really have a reason to...ideas on how I could potentially waste some money?
laugh.gif

Here's what I'm using

Gigabyte 870-UD3 board
Phenom II 955 BE
4GB 1333 Ripjaws
5770 Super Overclock
ModXStream Pro 600W
V6GT CPU Cooler

Kinda want to add or upgrade something, but don't really have a reason to...ideas on how I could potentially waste some money?
laugh.gif

Here's what I'm using

Gigabyte 870-UD3 board
Phenom II 955 BE
4GB 1333 Ripjaws
5770 Super Overclock
ModXStream Pro 600W
V6GT CPU Cooler

Back
Top Bottom