Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by OneRoad009

Originally Posted by bjm5295

Did anyone hear the intermission analyst dude say Lidstorm is the second best defensemen hes ever seen? I mean, I love Lidstorm and all, but really?
laugh.gif

In recent history only Borque and Coffey were on Lidstrom's level... if you go further back you have guys like Orr, but it's hard to compare different generations of players.
Which other defensemen in the past 20 years are as good as Lidstrom?

Scott Stevens, Rod Langway, Al MacInnis, Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Leetch...

Lidstrom is better than all those guys. He has as many Stanley Cups as Stevens and Niedermayer and I'll have to double check but I think he has morepoints than all those guys you mentioned.
It's been hard to stay interested in these playoffs so far, other than the Bruins series, not much fun going on.

I wonder if this long layoff is going to hurt the Penguins. Penguins vs. NYR in round 2 would be amazing, Jagr returning to the house that he...er...Lemieuxbuilt
laugh.gif

I think Calgary and Anaheim are good enough to come back from 3-1 down. San Jose and Dallas are among the two most mentally fragile clubs in the NHL,perenniel playoff underachievers.

San Jose and Dallas are among the two most mentally fragile clubs in the NHL, perenniel playoff underachievers.

Who cares about Dallas ... ?

But you're right about the Sharks. I'm extremely anxious about this game - I can't concentrate on my medical books.

I can just see the Flames coming out from the get-go and crushing skulls and having the Sharks play defensively - dropping in pucks into the zone only to getit taken away. Hopefully I'm wrong though ...
I didn't know you were a Sharks fan SoHi 23. Finally our paths have crossed.

P.S. Very nice win by your Lakers today.

But you're right about the Sharks. I'm extremely anxious about this game - I can't concentrate on my medical books.
roll.gif
roll.gif

but nah go sharks
pimp.gif
...close this one out!!
and just a random story, my bro took my pops to one of the shark playoff games last week, and my pops "by accident" wore a 49ers sweatshirt and gothis #*# booed
laugh.gif
. he had to cop a sharks shirt after that.

Haha, the color red is out-lawed in the city of San Jose.

It seems like Sharks fans are tougher than the players ... Can Shelley please get into a fight with Iginila or Phaneuf already?

%!#!!! Why isn't the Sharks and Flames game on Versus like it was supposed to be?!?!?!?!?!?!? They're now gonna show Anaheim/Dallas....Just ruined mynight!

You know what ruined my day? The fact that Detroit was supposed to be on NBC but the Mass at Yankee stadium was on. Now I am by no means trashing religion andI know it's a big deal, but not everyone is Catholic.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by OneRoad009

Did anyone hear the intermission analyst dude say Lidstorm is the second best defensemen hes ever seen? I mean, I love Lidstorm and all, but really?
laugh.gif

In recent history only Borque and Coffey were on Lidstrom's level... if you go further back you have guys like Orr, but it's hard to compare different generations of players.
Which other defensemen in the past 20 years are as good as Lidstrom?

Scott Stevens, Rod Langway, Al MacInnis, Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Leetch...

IMO, overall Lidstrom is a better player than any of those guys. Some of them may have parts of their game that are better than Lidstrom's (ie.Leetch's offensive ability), but Lidstrom has the complete package. He should definitely get some consideration for MVP this year, although Ovechkin ispretty much a lock. Remember how crappy the wings were when Lidstrom got hurt?

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

You know what ruined my day? The fact that Detroit was supposed to be on NBC but the Mass at Yankee stadium was on. Now I am by no means trashing religion and I know it's a big deal, but not everyone is Catholic.

In the New York area it was on MSG Plus......I don't know where you live but I know that you are a Devil fan so you might be close to the NY area.

Originally Posted by ezeblazin

%!#!!! Why isn't the Sharks and Flames game on Versus like it was supposed to be?!?!?!?!?!?!? They're now gonna show Anaheim/Dallas....Just ruined my night!
Agreed....Who gives a damn about the Ducks and the Stars.....The Calgary and San Jose series has been way better

Totally didn't know it was on MSG+. SMH at myself. Oh well, the Dallas Anaheim game is pretty good. For some reason I see SJ being like the Cubs alwaysgood but never good enough.

back to san jose we go. arghhhhh

their performance today was trash. the team still haven't turned that corner yet....built for the regular season and NOT for the playoffs.

Tuesday Night Game 7 is going to be real good. I knew all along that Sharks and Flames would go 7 games, and it's going to be a pleassure to watch. Theintensity that guys like Rivet, and Phaneuf are showing is crazy.

the Anaheim ducks are eliminated....

I do not dislike the Ducks but it's good to see them get eliminated. They expected to just cruise through the regular season and they thought by gettingSelanne and Neidermayer back they would make another long run like they did a year ago. I hope this shows the rest of the teams that it isn't such a goodidea.

Props to the Stars. They played intense all series and never backed down.

This team really needs to address our huge offensive holes in the offseason. Getzlaf and Perry aren't going to cut it if Teemu retires, and Bertuzzi isofficially bum status.
Keep the defense in tact minus maybe letting go of Beauchimin, as well as the shut down line.

We'll be back next year.

Like you said with Lidstorm, I'd say Orr (from tapes, obviously), Bourque, and Coffey (slightly) were better. I'd say him and Stevens were about on thesame level. So top 5, surefire top 8-10 at least. Trust me, I love Lidstrom and I'm not downplaying his talent and career at all, I just thought sayingsecond best ever was a bit of a reach.

Originally Posted by LVJordan238

Props to the Stars. They played intense all series and never backed down.

This team really needs to address our huge offensive holes in the offseason. Getzlaf and Perry aren't going to cut it if Teemu retires, and Bertuzzi is officially bum status.
Keep the defense in tact minus maybe letting go of Beauchimin, as well as the shut down line.

We'll be back next year.

if Burke doesn't leave Anaheim he might try to reunite the West Coast Express by signing free agent Markus Naslund.

I thought Bertuzzi might be able to do better after he got out of Vancouver, but it looks like its the same old Big Bert.

Now to San Jose, theres really not much the GM can do to fix this team. they have everything needed to win a championship, stellar goaltending, a gooddefense with Doug Murray, Campbell, Rivet etc. and offense with one of the best in the league Joe Thornton with Cheech and Patty Marleau and a good support onthe other lines. They just choose not to show up on certain nights, which theres really not much they can do about it. Leadership seems pretty intact too.

Honestly, San Jose has it all and just needs to put it together a little better. When it comes to their series right now with Calgary it's tough to say"oh San Jose should win this easily, they have this they have that" etc etc......Calgary is such a tough team and don't get enough credit IMO.They don't necessarily have 3 top of the league players like SJ does with Marleau, Thornton, Cheechoo.....but instead they have a team of guys that workhard non-stop and fight for every inch of ice. Yes, they have Kipper, Iggy, Phaneuf, Tanguay etc.....but NOBODY views CGY as one of the best teams.

If San Jose can get by Calgary, I don't see them having much trouble the rest of the way. San Jose would face Dallas if they beat Calgary tomorrow, andright away I would take SJ over Dallas especially since I don't think they had much trouble with them in the regular season (I forget how the season serieswent, but it should've been somewhere near .500?).

Big game tonight in Montreal.....I don't think the Bruins will pull it out but I sure hope they do.....If Montreal gets eliminated, then the only bigthreat to my Rangers are the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Like you said with Lidstorm, I'd say Orr (from tapes, obviously), Bourque, and Coffey (slightly) were better. I'd say him and Stevens were about on the same level. So top 5, surefire top 8-10 at least. Trust me, I love Lidstrom and I'm not downplaying his talent and career at all, I just thought saying second best ever was a bit of a reach.

Offensively, Coffey was great, but defensively he was a liability. After he came to the Wings, he was a big reason why we never won until he left. Look athis plus/minus ... Other than his days in Edmonton, and 93-94 with the Wings (In which a few of his givaways led to the Upstart Sharks upsetting the Wings in 7games in the first round), his numbers are almost ALWAYS in the single digits, if not close, or negative/zero. Look at Lidstrom's stats, particularly thesepast few years when he's been considered at the top, and you'll see its not even close. Lidstrom has never even had a season in which he was anegative, and really has only had a couple where he was even close to it.

Plus/minus is the standard for defensemen in the NHL. Nick is the dopest at making sure the puck doesn't get into his own net... his + may not be thehighest cuz he's not the main guy on the trail during a rush, but he sure as hell isn't in the minus... He's at the top, just below Orr (+124 in71?!?
eek.gif
) who left the game too early.

Game 7
eek.gif
I really can't believe it!!!

pimp.gif

Caps win 4-2....

Caps w. 4 unanswered goals after being down 2-0 going into the 2nd period....

Ovechkin 2 goals....

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom