Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

Capitals just made my night. I have a new team to root for since the Devils are out. I was rooting for them all along, but I really think they'll be ableto pull this out and advance. Montreal dominated the B's and proved why they will probably be in the Eastern Conference finals. Great games tonight.

Originally Posted by JoeBonnano

Originally Posted by bjm5295

Like you said with Lidstorm, I'd say Orr (from tapes, obviously), Bourque, and Coffey (slightly) were better. I'd say him and Stevens were about on the same level. So top 5, surefire top 8-10 at least. Trust me, I love Lidstrom and I'm not downplaying his talent and career at all, I just thought saying second best ever was a bit of a reach.

Offensively, Coffey was great, but defensively he was a liability. After he came to the Wings, he was a big reason why we never won until he left. Look at his plus/minus ... Other than his days in Edmonton, and 93-94 with the Wings (In which a few of his givaways led to the Upstart Sharks upsetting the Wings in 7 games in the first round), his numbers are almost ALWAYS in the single digits, if not close, or negative/zero. Look at Lidstrom's stats, particularly these past few years when he's been considered at the top, and you'll see its not even close. Lidstrom has never even had a season in which he was a negative, and really has only had a couple where he was even close to it.

Plus/minus is the standard for defensemen in the NHL. Nick is the dopest at making sure the puck doesn't get into his own net... his + may not be the highest cuz he's not the main guy on the trail during a rush, but he sure as hell isn't in the minus... He's at the top, just below Orr (+124 in 71?!?
eek.gif
) who left the game too early.

I agree. Also, I dont think it's fair to compare point totals from the 70s and 80s to point totals from the 90s and 2000s. The game was much morewide open back then and way more high scoring. Elite goalies had GAAs in the 3.00s. I dont think the best player in history Wayne Gretzky would come close to200+ points in todays game even in his prime.

Wowww I REALLY didn't expect Philly to lose that game. I'm definitely taking the Caps in game 7 @ home. I have a feeling Ovechkin is just going tobuild on tonight and will come with a big performance tomorrow.

As I predicted the Canadiens dominated from start to finish and got done with the Bruins. Give lots of credit to the B's though as I figured after games 1& 2 that they'd get swept. You could see during the handshakes at the end that everyone was telling Price how phenomenal he played etc etc.....alwaysgood to see the handshakes at the end
pimp.gif

A pair of game 7's tomorrow
pimp.gif
......Thankfully the SJ game is @ 10 so I don't haveto keep flipping back and forth
laugh.gif
smh.gif

The Kostitsyn brothers killed us tonight...
frown.gif

I hate saying this more than I hate saying props to the Yankees, but props to the Habs coming out on fire tonight. I think that second goal rattled the Bruinsand sent them into panic mode too soon.

However, I heard a commentator say that Montreal was the better team in the series, and honestly I disagree with that. They sure as hell outplayed us in 1 and7, but the Bruins out skated, shot and played the Habs 2-6.

But, at the end of the night, that doesnt matter, since the series was 4-3 them.
laugh.gif

GO AVALANCHE! <.<

The 3 Vezina Trophy finalists were announced today:

Martin Brodeur
Henrik Lundqvist
Evgeni Nabokov

I expect this man to get the trophy.....

capt.949446f8a3b1442a92dc1d24ea925972.sharks_flames_hockey__jmc107.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

frown.gif

I hate saying this more than I hate saying props to the Yankees, but props to the Habs coming out on fire tonight. I think that second goal rattled the Bruins and sent them into panic mode too soon.

However, I heard a commentator say that Montreal was the better team in the series, and honestly I disagree with that. They sure as hell outplayed us in 1 and 7, but the Bruins out skated, shot and played the Habs 2-6.

But, at the end of the night, that doesnt matter, since the series was 4-3 them.
laugh.gif

GO AVALANCHE! <.<

Great series between the B's and the Habs....

You all have a STUD in Milan Lucic...he'll score 25 next season...Cam Neely lite....I would almost guarantee that he's your future captain.

Do they announce finalists for the ROTY (Calder?) trophy? I'm interested to see if Lucic is up there. He didnt really have the points you would expect aROTY to have but he did nothing but improve from the second he stepped on the ice and was a major contributor down the stretch.

And thanks DoubleJ, I was actually telling a friend the other day I bet he becomes the captain if he sticks around. If we let him walk away at the end of hisdeal like we have so many great players, I'm finding a new team.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

Can someone explain to me why the Canadiens are called the Habs?
Habs is an abbreviation of "les habitants," the informal name given to the original settlers of New France, dating back to the 17thCentury. So it's a natural fit for the The Montreal Canadiens, established in 1909 and marketed as a French-Canadian hockey team.
Having said that, the nickname might have been the result of an error. According to NHL.com, the first man to refer to the team as "the Habs" wasTex Rickard, owner of Madison Square Garden, in 1924. Rickard apparently told a reporter that the "H" on the Canadiens' sweaters was for"Habitants." Not true. The distinctive C-wrapped-around-H logo stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien."

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

frown.gif

I hate saying this more than I hate saying props to the Yankees, but props to the Habs coming out on fire tonight. I think that second goal rattled the Bruins and sent them into panic mode too soon.

However, I heard a commentator say that Montreal was the better team in the series, and honestly I disagree with that. They sure as hell outplayed us in 1 and 7, but the Bruins out skated, shot and played the Habs 2-6.

laugh.gif

GO AVALANCHE! <.<

Great series between the B's and the Habs....

You all have a STUD in Milan Lucic...he'll score 25 next season...Cam Neely lite....I would almost guarantee that he's your future captain.

My dude! Me and my dad been saying this all year. Dude has skills and is a tough guy...just like my all time favorite NHLer Cam Neely. You're on pointwith that one, Doublejs...I'm surprised because I figured it was something only Bruins fans would pick up on.
As far as the series, we def. outplayed them for most of the series, we just had trouble beating Price. Hats off to that kid, he was great. Eventonight, we played well the first half of that game, outshot them, but just could not beat Price. And it seemed like all series, any chance the Habs got, theyconverted. I just heard Melrose's analysis which was ridiculous, saying we got outplayed from start to finish. C'mon Barry...

Thanks for the reply, areyouin729.

I was reading Bill Simmons' article and he too compared Lucic to Neely.

At some point during all of this, I found myself getting attached to one of the young Bruins -- Milan Lucic, a 19-year-old winger out of the Cam Neely mold who skates around with one of those threatening, wild-eyed "You looking at me? Did you just look at me? DON'T F------ LOOK AT ME!" glares.
Simmons also mentions this fight which is worth checking out. I know DoubleJ enjoys a good hockey scrap.

who likes that Fedorov Ovechkin first line combo? it looks a bit more effective, and it brings more out from Fedorov too

go habs go.....yes i have to jump on the bandwagon when my city is this crazy.....
i walked home from the metro(during game time).....no sign of life at all....i was walkin in the street.......
i should have stayed downtown...to see the crazies.......
i heard a footlocker got broke into too...******ed

bildexm5.jpg

Get them cellies out to save the memories.

I like how someone broke the car door before setting fire to it. Thorough.

Hmm... thats really dumb. I thought of possibly hitting up an away Habs/Bruins game next year....

Maybe not.
laugh.gif

i told my friend at the beginning of the B's/Hab's game that one of the goalies is going to have an unbelievable game. and i was right. i was hopingfor it to be Thomas, but the Habs just pissed on us last night.

i said it before and i'll say it again. Looch reminds me of a young Cam Neely out there. dude has the guts to be one of the, if not the toughest guy on theice.

At some point during all of this, I found myself getting attached to one of the young Bruins -- Milan Lucic, a 19-year-old winger out of the Cam Neely mold who skates around with one of those threatening, wild-eyed "You looking at me? Did you just look at me? DON'T F------ LOOK AT ME!" glares.

he has that look. i saw it last night when of the refs was holding him back from pounding one of the Habs. he just looked like he was ready to push the ref outof the way and just start throwing hands.

it should be a good off-season for the B's. they need more scoring though. Marian Hossa would be a perfect fit for Bergeron next season.

I haven't a clue what is going to happen tonight, but the NHL NEEDS a Crosby vs. Ovechkin matchup....

it should be a good off-season for the B's. they need more scoring though. Marian Hossa would be a perfect fit for Bergeron next season.

co-sign....Imagine Hossa on the B's? He's a rental for Pittsburgh, so that could be a reality.

For Penguins fans....realistically, how are you all going to afford to sign Fleury, Malkin, and Malone? I would think that Malkin could get a deal greater thanwhat Crosby got.

Affordability is relative these days, since the cap went into effect in 05. None of the players on a roster can make over 20% of the cap, so I don't seere-signing the bulk of them over longer deals. I'd say Fleury is the only question to re-sign. He's a good kid, but many teams with hella offensivefirepower tend to shy away from big name goalies. At least most of the time... it seems to backfire on them when they don't (I'll of course, useDetroit as a prime example when they went to get Cujo). I won't say goalies are a dime a dozen, but with the offense the Pens got I wouldn't reallyworry. Personally, I think everyone could learn from Nashville's making the playoffs this year. They were at the bottom of the charts in terms of salaries.

I know Sid and the gang can command big contracts, but will they? It's not like the old days where NY and Detroit go out and buy everybody (which stillreally only translated into wins 50% of the time. Detroit rocked out, while the Rangers were pretty bad). Dallas, Philly, St Louis and Toronto were all the topsalary teams for the past 10 or so years... what has that amounted to, really?

Keep the core intact, and keep the cupboard stocked with college kids making $495K, and journeymen who play and fill roles well. Sustained success isn'thard, just don't get greedy.

The Sharks have to step up tonight.... The Flames really have a great chance to win even though they are a visiting team in Game 7.....If the Sharks lose,expect coach Ron Wilson to get fired in the offseason.

Go Sharks ! ...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

6d03c367121b71f8300e2b39aa739ea0-getty-80538023jj008_calgary_flame.jpg

Pens will easily be able to resign Malkin within the next year. The "cap" no longer exists, there are so many ways around it. Player salaries havegone down while the cap is steadily increasing every year. Expect it to be close to the mid-$50 million mark this summer (before the lockout only Detroit,Toronto, NYR, Philly, Dallas and a few others were spending that much money).

Also, if you are paying a player but he is no longer wanted on the team, you can just send him down to the AHL and he wont count towards the cap. If a playeris injured you can place him on "Long term Injury Reserve" and he wont count. They are about to introduce a new rule where a player's salary canbe paid by his former team in the event of a trade. Add all these up and you'll have a bunch of teams over the cap for years to come.

Pittsburgh can give Malkin a similar contract to Crosby and get a decent supporting cast as well. Gonchar is obviously not in their long term plans but he isreplaceable. Hossa is gone this summer, Marc-Andre Fleury is decent but the Pens aren't going to break bank for him. I think $3-4 million a season forhim is fair for both sides.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Game 7
eek.gif
I really can't believe it!!!

pimp.gif

Caps win 4-2....

Caps w. 4 unanswered goals after being down 2-0 going into the 2nd period....

Ovechkin 2 goals....

Can't wait for tomorrow!

ovechkin is the true NHL MVP..go capitals!

if the caps can come back 2 games back, so can the wizards! *wishful thinking*
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom