Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

As a pens fan - i've just got a bad feeling about this matchup. I don't feel like the team is completely together right now with everybody just finallycoming together off injuries - it could take some time to jell. Excited to see what Hossa can do for us now that he's back, we're like 8-3 sincehe's returned to the lineup full-time.. but i haven't been OVERLY impressed with him yet.

You know Sid was born to win titles though
laugh.gif
we get through this first series, and i like our chances against the rest of the league.. i just really fearOttawa.

Ottawa is in all honesty the last team I'd fear in the East along with Boston. In the playoffs goaltending counts a whole lot more, as there are much lessgoals scored. Gerber sucks and I doubt Emery will see any time in the playoffs. Boston's goalie situation isn't that great either, Thomas was good, butgot rocked in two straight games and sucked for a week. You need a solid goalie in the playoffs for example Brodeur, Giguere, Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, etc. Teamswith good goalies do much much better than teams with average goalies.

here we go, things kicking off tonight

NHL playoffs are the most exciting IMO besides NFL of course

Tampa Bay gets the #1 overall pick...highly regraded prospect Steven Stamkos is expected to be the pick

That highlight while great is kind of deceiving. He could be great or he could just be some guy who is good by himself. I dont know anything about him thoughso it is whatever. Tampa Bay should be good in a few years, I mean they won the cup not to long ago.

Stamkos is that franchise player that everyone wants...........I didn't bother watching the above highlight but I'm assuming it's from the OHLSkills Comp right? He WILL be the #1 pick by Tampa and I see great things for these guys in the future. I wanted him to go to LA cause that would make theKings the "next" Pens.....but look out for Tampa once they do something about their goaltending (I don't think Mike Smith is the answer).

Pens are just dominating this game against Ottawa......Roberts with that goal 1:08 into the game and then Sykora later on
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I feel bad for Volchenkov though because Malkin can fire the puck and he unexpectedly took that right above the eye from what they're saying. Sens defenseis dwindling down even more.

Time to jump on now that the 'Nucks are out. I wanna see Pens/Caps/Habs out of the east, and probably SJ out of the west. Maybe Calgary; Iggy and Phaneufare beasts in the playoffs.

So far its been exciting. As a Devils fan, they played well but they made some stupid mistakes. Gionta had a lot of great chances but for whatever reasonlooked like he'd rather see how high he can shoot the puck then actually putting it on net. The 3rd goal was horrible positiong by Brodeur and you canunder no circumstances justify a shorthanded goal in my opinion. Hopefully they keep up the intensity and put the puck in the net on Friday.

Sens look flat as hell...

game 2 they HAVE to be way more physical in playing both Crosby & Malkin...

Redden got his butt handed to him by Whitney...

I totally expect a better effort out of the Sens the next time out.

oh, and Crosby gets away w. murder out there....dude is the Cap't Hook of the NHL...does A LOT of damage w. his stick by way of slashes andcross-checks....

am I in the minority for thinking that he isn't even the most talented guy on his team? I'd take Malkin over him any day of the week....

I think you have to take Crosby because from a financial stand point he's more marketable than Malkin. As an owner your making a lot more money off ofCrosby than Malkin. Now would I rather have him on my team then Malkin? I'd take Ovechkin and call it a day lol. Crosby I think in the long run will bebetter than Malkin, but they play different styles so its kind of a tough argument for either.

DoubleJ's and I always thinkin' the opposite things LOL......I'd take Crosby over Malkin just because sid is more of an all-around player by a longshot. Even though he didn't get on the score sheet tonight he did a bit of everything at both ends of the ice. He had some decent chances in the offensivezone (had a backhand that hit the bar and missed by an inch), and in the defensive zone he won draws finished his hit and caused turnovers. Malkin continuouslycoughs up the puck when trying to dash out of his own end and it always leads to the opposing team having 2-3 guys in the Pens end with 1 D-man back for thePens. Malkin has been on a huge hot streak in terms of offense and that's the beauty of this Pittsburgh team. When you have a guy like Crosby struggle andnot put up points you can lean back on Malkin who was the 2nd hottest player in the 2nd half of the season.

Originally Posted by mrmossyman84

fraij: please dont remind me. Sabres are young and traded away Campbell at the deadline but with the playoff experience the group had they should of at least been able to grab the 8th seed. Way too many leads given away, flat performances on the road and dissapointing performances at home. I think the Sabres had a sub-.500 record at home. Unacceptable.

At first glance, these are my predictions

1st round:

Montreal defeats Boston 4-1
Ottawa defeats Pittsburgh 4-2
Washington defeats Philadelphia 4-2
New York defeats New Jersey 4-2

Detroit defeats Nashville 4-2
San Jose defeats Calgary 4-2
Colorado defeats Minnesota 4-1
Anaheim defeats Dallas 4-1

2nd:

Montreal defeats Ottawa 4-2
New York defeats Washington 4-2

Detroit defeats Colorado 4-1
San Jose defeats Anaheim 4-3

3rd:

Montreal defeats New York 4-2
San Jose defeats Detroit 4-2

Finals:

San Jose defeats Montreal 4-1

---
Washington stays at 3rd seed still if they win and advance to 2nd round, right? They don't reseed based on points, they would determine matchups based on the seeds given before the playoffs? So the highest seed remaining would play the lowest seed remaining...

I have the same predictions
laugh.gif

Rangers fans: what's your view on Sean Avery? is Brendan Shanahan really keeping him in check?

I've been absent from NT for a long while, but I'll be posting on the regular these playoffs.

Getting geared up for tomorrow.

28mfmlx.jpg

It's octopus time in Motown!
Go Wings!

Living in Vancouver I made a lot of money this year from friends who were certain the Canucks would make the playoffs, to them I say:
24m9xq9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom