Official NFL Free Agency + Trades vol. It's Time.

laugh.gif
At yall not getting it.

laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]. makes everything funnier. [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]mad busy with work, head coaching, and training. will update the front page today.[/color]

Are you sitting down? The Eagles can redo the contracts for Vick and DeSean -- and STILL be under the cap.

Question I've gotten from tweeters, e-mailers and even one general manager I respect a lot in the last few days, in the wake of Philadelphia signing so many top free agents: How is it possible the Eagles are under the salary cap? Or, as the GM put it to me: "The cap for the rest of us is $120 million. It feels like it's $220 million for them. I really don't know how they did it, but I'm very curious.''

Be curious no more. Be stunned, though. The Eagles, as of this morning, still have $7.79 million of cap room available, easily enough to extend dissatisfied wide receiver DeSean Jackson and to turn the one-year franchise tender of Mike Vick into a long-term deal without severe cap ramifications.

Here's how the Eagles made it happen, according to a league source who has seen the Eagles' up-to-date salary cap configuration for the next two seasons.

Understand this principle to start: The Eagles were not in bad cap shape to begin with. When free agency opened they were at $99 million in commitments to veterans and draft choices. (More about those later.) They had shed big veteran salaries over the last couple of years -- including quarterback Donovan McNabb's -- and by opening day 2010 had the third-youngest 53-man roster in football. Young means salary manageable.

As of Sunday morning, the Eagles' projected roster (there's some guesswork here, but it's close) consisted of 35 players with cap numbers of $1.5 million or less. And only six players -- quarterback Mike Vick ($16.1 million cap number), cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha ($10 million), cornerback Asante Samuel ($9.34 million), tackle Jason Peters ($6.54 million), and defensive ends Jason Babin ($5.3 million) and Trent Cole ($5 million) -- had cap figures of $5 million or more.

Club president Joe Banner explained to me Friday how the market fit into the Eagles' modus operandi. "This was a massive buyer's market,'' he said. "There were something like 500 free agents, and we knew a lot of teams that normally might be in play for many of these guys wouldn't be able to spend much because of their cap situation. So we knew there'd be some spectacular opportunities.''

What's impressive about how Banner and GM Howie Roseman have worked the architecture of the team is that 24 of the top 26 players on the roster today are signed for at least the next two seasons. Only Vick and Jackson are not signed beyond this year from the 26 number.

I expect Vick will get done sometime this year. Jackson might and he might not; he'll report to camp today after a brief holdout, and he'll press to have the last year of his contract ($938,000) renegotiated into a long-term deal. We'll see. Point is, the Eagles may have chemistry issues with this All-Star team, but they won't have the sort of cap issues most people expect.

"This is not one of those Hail Mary passes for one year,'' Banner said. "If something doesn't work out, we'll be in position to adjust.''

Let's examine some of the contracts Banner and Roseman did. Here's where the opportunities came in.

[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]Player[/td][td]2011 cap[/td][td]Guaranteed money beyond 2011[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DE Jason Babin[/td][td]$5.3m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Cullen Jenkins[/td][td]$4m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]QB Vince Young[/td][td]$4m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]RB Ronnie Brown[/td][td]$1.25m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]CB D. Rodgers-Cromartie (trade)[/td][td]$1.05m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]T Ryan Harris[/td][td]$785,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Anthony Hargrove[/td][td]$750,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]S Jarrad Page[/td][td]$735,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Derek Landri[/td][td]$575,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Not including Asomugha, the eight free agent signings and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who came from Arizona in the Kevin Kolb trade, have zero dollars promised to them for 2012 and beyond. There are years remaining on contracts, yes. But guarantees, no.

Point is, this is the kind of cap situation that can absorb Vick at $16.1 million this year, and Asomugha at $10 million this year and $11 million next year. And the kind of cap that can accommodate a very good player like Cullen Jenkins, the best rush defensive tackle on the market, who never saw the market develop for him the way he thought it would.

Jenkins thought his first-choice team, Philadelphia, wouldn't sign him after giving Asomugha a four-year, $48-million contract. The Eagles convinced Jenkins they still wanted him badly, but just couldn't pay him what they'd been discussing pre-Nnamdi. After a night to think about it, Jenkins decided he'd rather play where he wanted for $4 million than to go to a Cincinnati-type team for more money. Jenkins figures he'll still have another payday if he outperforms this contract in the first year or two. The reputation of the Eagles helped -- as did some players' desire to play on Vick's team.

One more thing about the Eagles' cap. It's not the league's number of $120.38 million per team. It is actually $125.58 million. That includes $2.2 million in what the league calls "reallocation credits'' from the last capped year, 2009, when the Eagles didn't spend to the cap, and the $3 million every team can borrow from a future cap year to support veteran player costs this season

And, yes, they can fit in Jackson and Vick and not leave themselves hamstrung for the future. That's what happens when you have a guy the organization trusts to set the overall compass for personnel priorities in Andy Reid, two experienced cap and negotiation handlers in Banner and Roseman, a personnel staff led by Ryan Grigson, who can tell the front office the draft outlook a year ahead of time ... with a smart checks-and-balance business guy in Jeff Lurie, the owner. Even with a good football man and GM like Tom Heckert leaving to take the reins in Cleveland, the Eagles turned to Roseman and moved on. A continuum.

One last point for you capaholics: The logic for redoing Vick, at least part of it, would be to lower his cap figure from $16.1 million to some manageable figure maybe half that size. The same league source told me that won't happen. The Eagles will keep Vick's cap number at the same level as it is currently, because if they reduce it, that is money they'll have to include in some other year of the cap. Why not allocate it to the 2011 cap if they have room, so they can have maximum flexibility in future years with Vick on the payroll?

That's right -- the Eagles are in such good shape with their cap that they can afford to redo Vick's deal and easily afford to keep his number at a gargantuan level. That's a team with a plan.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/index.html#ixzz1URuT20X0

Are you sitting down? The Eagles can redo the contracts for Vick and DeSean -- and STILL be under the cap.

Question I've gotten from tweeters, e-mailers and even one general manager I respect a lot in the last few days, in the wake of Philadelphia signing so many top free agents: How is it possible the Eagles are under the salary cap? Or, as the GM put it to me: "The cap for the rest of us is $120 million. It feels like it's $220 million for them. I really don't know how they did it, but I'm very curious.''

Be curious no more. Be stunned, though. The Eagles, as of this morning, still have $7.79 million of cap room available, easily enough to extend dissatisfied wide receiver DeSean Jackson and to turn the one-year franchise tender of Mike Vick into a long-term deal without severe cap ramifications.

Here's how the Eagles made it happen, according to a league source who has seen the Eagles' up-to-date salary cap configuration for the next two seasons.

Understand this principle to start: The Eagles were not in bad cap shape to begin with. When free agency opened they were at $99 million in commitments to veterans and draft choices. (More about those later.) They had shed big veteran salaries over the last couple of years -- including quarterback Donovan McNabb's -- and by opening day 2010 had the third-youngest 53-man roster in football. Young means salary manageable.

As of Sunday morning, the Eagles' projected roster (there's some guesswork here, but it's close) consisted of 35 players with cap numbers of $1.5 million or less. And only six players -- quarterback Mike Vick ($16.1 million cap number), cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha ($10 million), cornerback Asante Samuel ($9.34 million), tackle Jason Peters ($6.54 million), and defensive ends Jason Babin ($5.3 million) and Trent Cole ($5 million) -- had cap figures of $5 million or more.

Club president Joe Banner explained to me Friday how the market fit into the Eagles' modus operandi. "This was a massive buyer's market,'' he said. "There were something like 500 free agents, and we knew a lot of teams that normally might be in play for many of these guys wouldn't be able to spend much because of their cap situation. So we knew there'd be some spectacular opportunities.''

What's impressive about how Banner and GM Howie Roseman have worked the architecture of the team is that 24 of the top 26 players on the roster today are signed for at least the next two seasons. Only Vick and Jackson are not signed beyond this year from the 26 number.

I expect Vick will get done sometime this year. Jackson might and he might not; he'll report to camp today after a brief holdout, and he'll press to have the last year of his contract ($938,000) renegotiated into a long-term deal. We'll see. Point is, the Eagles may have chemistry issues with this All-Star team, but they won't have the sort of cap issues most people expect.

"This is not one of those Hail Mary passes for one year,'' Banner said. "If something doesn't work out, we'll be in position to adjust.''

Let's examine some of the contracts Banner and Roseman did. Here's where the opportunities came in.

[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]Player[/td][td]2011 cap[/td][td]Guaranteed money beyond 2011[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DE Jason Babin[/td][td]$5.3m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Cullen Jenkins[/td][td]$4m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]QB Vince Young[/td][td]$4m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]RB Ronnie Brown[/td][td]$1.25m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]CB D. Rodgers-Cromartie (trade)[/td][td]$1.05m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]T Ryan Harris[/td][td]$785,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Anthony Hargrove[/td][td]$750,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]S Jarrad Page[/td][td]$735,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Derek Landri[/td][td]$575,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Not including Asomugha, the eight free agent signings and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who came from Arizona in the Kevin Kolb trade, have zero dollars promised to them for 2012 and beyond. There are years remaining on contracts, yes. But guarantees, no.

Point is, this is the kind of cap situation that can absorb Vick at $16.1 million this year, and Asomugha at $10 million this year and $11 million next year. And the kind of cap that can accommodate a very good player like Cullen Jenkins, the best rush defensive tackle on the market, who never saw the market develop for him the way he thought it would.

Jenkins thought his first-choice team, Philadelphia, wouldn't sign him after giving Asomugha a four-year, $48-million contract. The Eagles convinced Jenkins they still wanted him badly, but just couldn't pay him what they'd been discussing pre-Nnamdi. After a night to think about it, Jenkins decided he'd rather play where he wanted for $4 million than to go to a Cincinnati-type team for more money. Jenkins figures he'll still have another payday if he outperforms this contract in the first year or two. The reputation of the Eagles helped -- as did some players' desire to play on Vick's team.

One more thing about the Eagles' cap. It's not the league's number of $120.38 million per team. It is actually $125.58 million. That includes $2.2 million in what the league calls "reallocation credits'' from the last capped year, 2009, when the Eagles didn't spend to the cap, and the $3 million every team can borrow from a future cap year to support veteran player costs this season

And, yes, they can fit in Jackson and Vick and not leave themselves hamstrung for the future. That's what happens when you have a guy the organization trusts to set the overall compass for personnel priorities in Andy Reid, two experienced cap and negotiation handlers in Banner and Roseman, a personnel staff led by Ryan Grigson, who can tell the front office the draft outlook a year ahead of time ... with a smart checks-and-balance business guy in Jeff Lurie, the owner. Even with a good football man and GM like Tom Heckert leaving to take the reins in Cleveland, the Eagles turned to Roseman and moved on. A continuum.

One last point for you capaholics: The logic for redoing Vick, at least part of it, would be to lower his cap figure from $16.1 million to some manageable figure maybe half that size. The same league source told me that won't happen. The Eagles will keep Vick's cap number at the same level as it is currently, because if they reduce it, that is money they'll have to include in some other year of the cap. Why not allocate it to the 2011 cap if they have room, so they can have maximum flexibility in future years with Vick on the payroll?

That's right -- the Eagles are in such good shape with their cap that they can afford to redo Vick's deal and easily afford to keep his number at a gargantuan level. That's a team with a plan.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/index.html#ixzz1URuT20X0

laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]. makes everything funnier. [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]mad busy with work, head coaching, and training. will update the front page today.[/color]

Free agent signings never win championships, building through the draft does. We'll see how that works out for the Eagles.

Free agent signings never win championships, building through the draft does. We'll see how that works out for the Eagles.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

again.. nnamdi is the only player that is guaranteed to start.. babin has a strong chance, but will play in a rotation with the starter from last year (parker).. same with jenkins, because of mike patterson's injury (wasn't planned to start over him though)

the only starters that will be gone, potential gone or lose their starting spot from that team that played the packers in the playoffs:

mike patterson (still on the team.. but his injury status makes him uncertain)

justice (i pray that someone steps up and takes his place.. on the roster, since i already figure his is out of the starting Oline)

mikell  (signed with another team, but i think our secondary will be greatly improved in his absence)

dimitri patterson (I assume nnamdi is an improvement here)

akers (kicker)

rocca (punter)

again.. nnamdi is the only player that is guaranteed to start.. babin has a strong chance, but will play in a rotation with the starter from last year (parker).. same with jenkins, because of mike patterson's injury (wasn't planned to start over him though)

the only starters that will be gone, potential gone or lose their starting spot from that team that played the packers in the playoffs:

mike patterson (still on the team.. but his injury status makes him uncertain)

justice (i pray that someone steps up and takes his place.. on the roster, since i already figure his is out of the starting Oline)

mikell  (signed with another team, but i think our secondary will be greatly improved in his absence)

dimitri patterson (I assume nnamdi is an improvement here)

akers (kicker)

rocca (punter)

just for the record...

players either drafted by the eagles or signed as undrafted free agents (starters in bold.. i'm basing this on what i think the 53 man roster will be):

WR:
desean
maclin
avant
cooper
*hall (dont think he makes it over lee higgins or sinorice moss.. but he has an outside chance)

RB:
Mccoy
Dion Lewis
*Derrick Locke (has an outside chance of making the team)

TE:
Brent Celek
Clay Harbor

Oline:
Todd Herremans
Jamal Jackson
Danny Watkins
King Dunlap
Jason Kelce
Mike McGlynn
Julian Vandervelde

QB:
Mike Kafka

DB:
Nate Allen
Jaiquawn Jarrett
Curtis Marsh
Trevard Lindley
kurt coleman

Dline:
Trent Cole
Antonio Dixon
Mike Patterson (obviously his starting status depends on his injury)
Trevor Laws
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

LB:
Jamer Chaney
Moise Fokou
Casey Mathews
Keenan Clayton
Greg Lloyd
Akeem Jordan

Kickers:
Alex Henery
Chas Henry

just for the record...

players either drafted by the eagles or signed as undrafted free agents (starters in bold.. i'm basing this on what i think the 53 man roster will be):

WR:
desean
maclin
avant
cooper
*hall (dont think he makes it over lee higgins or sinorice moss.. but he has an outside chance)

RB:
Mccoy
Dion Lewis
*Derrick Locke (has an outside chance of making the team)

TE:
Brent Celek
Clay Harbor

Oline:
Todd Herremans
Jamal Jackson
Danny Watkins
King Dunlap
Jason Kelce
Mike McGlynn
Julian Vandervelde

QB:
Mike Kafka

DB:
Nate Allen
Jaiquawn Jarrett
Curtis Marsh
Trevard Lindley
kurt coleman

Dline:
Trent Cole
Antonio Dixon
Mike Patterson (obviously his starting status depends on his injury)
Trevor Laws
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

LB:
Jamer Chaney
Moise Fokou
Casey Mathews
Keenan Clayton
Greg Lloyd
Akeem Jordan

Kickers:
Alex Henery
Chas Henry

and yes i intentionally left off winston justice..

however, i did forget brandon graham.. who will start the season on PUP list

and yes i intentionally left off winston justice..

however, i did forget brandon graham.. who will start the season on PUP list

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]here we go again....[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]anyway.[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Lions can't catch a break. I love how they've brought in talent recently, but they just do not stay healthy. 2 of their top 3 drafted players are out, Leshoure is out for the year with an achilles tear. I'd be real nervous if i was titus young.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Lions can't catch a break. I love how they've brought in talent recently, but they just do not stay healthy. 2 of their top 3 drafted players are out, Leshoure is out for the year with an achilles tear. I'd be real nervous if i was titus young.[/color]

Originally Posted by im that one

eek.gif

wanted him in the draft 

eek.gif

wanted him in the draft 

here we go again....
would you prefer me to sheepishly agree with this statement?

16 of 22 starters (patterson and maclin are question marks.. but that number still on goes down to 15, since next in line for the WR starting spot would have been drafted by the eagles)
at least 33 of the 53 man roster (graham makes team but won't count against the 53 yet)

yup, eagles don't build through the draft

here we go again....
would you prefer me to sheepishly agree with this statement?

16 of 22 starters (patterson and maclin are question marks.. but that number still on goes down to 15, since next in line for the WR starting spot would have been drafted by the eagles)
at least 33 of the 53 man roster (graham makes team but won't count against the 53 yet)

yup, eagles don't build through the draft

Originally Posted by 2o6

eek.gif

wanted him in the draft 
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I wanted him or Demarco Murray... (i feel like i'm the only one who likes that guy. [/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)].)[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Didn't think the dolphins could get daniel thomas... love the pick tho. beastly.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]^ no man, i'm glad you don't. what i think is you don't need to paragraph anything every time someone comments on the eagles. god forbid they feel a certain way, then you want to be a knight in shining armor. over playing your hand bro.[/color]

Originally Posted by 2o6

eek.gif

wanted him in the draft 
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I wanted him or Demarco Murray... (i feel like i'm the only one who likes that guy. [/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)].)[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Didn't think the dolphins could get daniel thomas... love the pick tho. beastly.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]^ no man, i'm glad you don't. what i think is you don't need to paragraph anything every time someone comments on the eagles. god forbid they feel a certain way, then you want to be a knight in shining armor. over playing your hand bro.[/color]

^ no man, i'm glad you don't. what i think is you don't need to paragraph anything every time someone comments on the eagles. god forbid they feel a certain way, then you want to be a knight in shining armor. over playing your hand bro.
seriously though.. i'm not.. look back (obviously aside from posting eagles news in the thread.. or responding to eagles news)

the only 2 things i addressed was the building through the draft thing (because that's the biggest reason i'm going get pissed off when we get compared to the miami heat)

and how the eagles pulled off signing the ppl we did  (which is also relevant to the above.. since we built through the draft, we had the cap space to make the moves we did)

^ no man, i'm glad you don't. what i think is you don't need to paragraph anything every time someone comments on the eagles. god forbid they feel a certain way, then you want to be a knight in shining armor. over playing your hand bro.
seriously though.. i'm not.. look back (obviously aside from posting eagles news in the thread.. or responding to eagles news)

the only 2 things i addressed was the building through the draft thing (because that's the biggest reason i'm going get pissed off when we get compared to the miami heat)

and how the eagles pulled off signing the ppl we did  (which is also relevant to the above.. since we built through the draft, we had the cap space to make the moves we did)

Wow I can't believe that happened to Leshoure.....

You'd think their whole team has been on the Madden cover with the way things have gone for their draft picks in recent years.

Wow I can't believe that happened to Leshoure.....

You'd think their whole team has been on the Madden cover with the way things have gone for their draft picks in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom