OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Originally Posted by bonafide125

I still can't believe we gave houston that contract.I'll take the gr8's starting 5 and put samuel dalemburt at C.

i agree right on, Dalembert would be the perfect center for that starting 5 i threw out

and for Bulls3PeatRepeat, i understand we cant sign anybody for large contracts, but Artest has expressed the will to play back in NY. and he outspokenlysaid that h would opt out this summer and sign with the Knicks for the 5 year $60 mil MLE. Hopfully he will stick to his word, which is pretty much the onlyreason i wouldnt mind that much Isiah back for the summer cause he has had strong ties with Artest since his Indiana days.

tired.gif
....everything about us is terrible....

I feel bad for Lee & Balkman...

The NBA needs 2 take over ownership of the Knicks...

Quest for #1...

Miami and Minnesota pick up Ws tonight and Seattle has an early 1st quater lead on Golden State
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Even if we lost every single game...

Minnesota winning 6 games....and Miami 8 more the rest of the way...

ughhh, not liking our chances...

but we'll see

this is just terrible, I just hope we get ourselves a very high draft pick.

There is absolutely no point in winning any games this year. I hope we can get Derrick Rose, or Micheal Beasley. I would rather have a derrick rose though,because we are in need of a distributor.

Was reading this in today's paper...quite possibly the best news I've heard in a while regarding the Knicks.

[h1]Knicks may have sights set on Kiki[/h1]
By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, February 27th 2008, 4:00 AM

amd_kiki.jpg
Zalubowski/AP
Kiki Vandeweghe served as general manager of the Nuggets with some success. His playing career included a stint with the Knicks (below).

amd_knicks.jpg
Herbert for News

Isiah Thomas wasn't among the standing-room only crowd at the Apollo Theatre on Monday for a private screening of "Black Magic," afilm about basketball at historical black colleges.

But of all the famous faces in attendance - Howard Stern, Paul Simon, and David Dinkins - two names in particular should concern Thomas and interest Knick fans.

Madison Square Garden president Steve Mills attended Monday's screening with Kiki Vandeweghe, who is working with the Nets as a special assistant to team president Rod Thorn. That Mills asked Vandeweghe to be his guest wouldn't be noteworthy expectfor the fact that Vandeweghe, who joined the Nets in December, signed only a six-month contract, which would make him a free agent around draft day this June,by which time the Knicks would want to have Thomas' replacement inplace. Garden chairman James Dolan is expected to remove Thomas from power.

A person close to Vandeweghe said it was a chance meeting between Mills and Vandeweghe, but the two did sit next to each other Monday.

Vandeweghe, Jerry Colangelo and Donnie Walsh have been mentioned as the three most likely candidates to replaceThomas, the Knicks president. But Vandeweghe appears to have a slight edge, according to several league sources.

"The NBA is pushing Kiki for that job," said a league executive. "It sounds like it is a foregoneconclusion that something is going to happen over there at the end of the season. Kiki makes a lot of sense."

Mills worked for the NBA before joining the Garden and serves as a liaison between the league and Dolan. It was Mills who recommended Thomas to Dolan afterMagic Johnson turned down the job.

"Hiring Kiki is a safe play for Steve," says a Knicks source. "They might be intimidated by Jerry and Donnie."

Vandeweghe, 49, played for the Knicks for parts of four seasons from 1988-1992, and also served as general manager of the Denver Nuggets from 2001-2006. He had spent parts of the last two seasons as anNBA analyst for ESPN. With the Nuggets, Vandeweghe was responsible for draftingCarmelo Anthony and orchestrating the trade with the Knicks thatbrought Marcus Camby to Denver.

But Vandeweghe had some misses as well. He drafted NikolozTskitishvili - who is no longer in the league - with the fifth pick in 2002. Vandeweghe also acquired Kenyon Martin in a sign-and-trade deal with the Nets, only to see Martin need majorsurgery on both knees. Still, Vandeweghe was able to take a perennial loser in Denver and turn the Nuggets into a playoff team, and he would be walking into asimilar situation with the Knicks.

If Vandeweghe succeeds Thomas, his first order of business would be to find a head coach. In Denver, Vandeweghe's two hires were Jeff Bzdelik, who had no NBA head-coaching experience, and George Karl.

Vandeweghe's hiring history could work in Mark Jackson's favor. Aformer Knicks teammate of Vandeweghe's who is a Nets broadcaster, Jackson is regarded as a top coaching candidate. Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau, Knicks assistant Herb Williams and Patrick Ewing could also be under consideration. ScottSkiles, Rick Carlisle, Jeff Van Gundy and Doug Collins are all candidates with previous heading-coaching experience.

Hiring Vandeweghe could lead to the return of several former Knick players. If Ewing is not hired as head coach, he would likely be asked to join the teamas an assistant. Also, Vandeweghe could bring in Allan Houston or Greg Anthony as an assistant GM.

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Vandeweghe's hiring history could work in Mark Jackson's favor. A former Knicks teammate of Vandeweghe's who is a Nets broadcaster, Jackson is regarded as a top coaching candidate. Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau, Knicks assistant Herb Williams and Patrick Ewing could also be under consideration. Scott Skiles, Rick Carlisle, Jeff Van Gundy and Doug Collins are all candidates with previous heading-coaching experience.

Hiring Vandeweghe could lead to the return of several former Knick players. If Ewing is not hired as head coach, he would likely be asked to join the team as an assistant. Also, Vandeweghe could bring in Allan Houston or Greg Anthony as an assistant GM.

Ok i know it is meaningless until we do something but i love the way that sounds. That would be getting the Knicks back to their routes. If Kiki wouldbring in a basketball smart NYC Mark Jackson as coach (if not him than other guys i like like Pat and Herb and that boston guy has a nice track record) andthan JVG and Carsile etc. were mentioned as well and than get another ex Knick basketball smart guy like Greg Anthony or Houston and that would be thedirection we should go. Instead of shunning these legends, to start playing ball like the Knicks should, and getting back at some our routes.

I know that we need to do something first but i would love to see Mark and Pat on the bench and i think Kiki could make something out of this team and ahigh pick. Hes got some nice pieces (ala David Lee, hes got that J now and he will be TROUBLE) but along with those pieces he has a messs he would have toclean up. He has the picks and he has the MLE for him, it would take a lot of rebuilding and a few years, but if we do this right it is possible. But i wouldlove to bring in some NYC guys and ex Knicks back, to give Jackson a coaching job i would love. Yes he has no experience. But he is one of the smartest bballminds i have seen on the ct. and is a great announcer, he is also young and would bring fire and a NYC kid. For the no experience part that is why we wouldneed to be patient. we would put him on the bench and be commited. We would have to not expect to be good right away and let Mark get his experience issues infis first 3 or so years when we arent supposed to be good any way, so than when we finally get in good shape and get a good core, Jackson will be ready tolead, with Ewing as his #1 assistant.
pimp.gif

(ala David Lee, hes got that J now and he will be TROUBLE)
if he consistently works on it over the summer, next year- it's a wrap. you can see the progression he has made on it recently, and it givesme hope.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

(ala David Lee, hes got that J now and he will be TROUBLE)
if he consistently works on it over the summer, next year- it's a wrap. you can see the progression he has made on it recently, and it gives me hope.

Exactly what ive been saying, man ive been raving about this guy lately, his development since he came has been amazing, one of the hardest workers in theleague.

I mean he first comes in as an unknown #30 pick from UF who will give you some energy and rebounds and the fans start to like him for it but he has 0offense

than he keeps on progressing until he is our best rebounder and one of the best hustle players in the league and is very athletic. And he goes from a 57% FTshooter to an 80+%.

than he works on the other side and he is tough to guards, he wants to play the 3 so he works on his athleticism, so hes a very tough matchup, where if abig guy guards him hell take him off the dribble and if its a little guy he will over power him.

Now he added this jump shot all of his 4 points today were on Js and one was near the 3 point arc. Still very selfless and team oriented and a greatrebounder, but he keeps on improving. He has been tough in the blocks cause of his power/speed combo and is very athletic and a good dunker, but now he hasthis shot.

We need to hold onto this man no matter what, and start him ASAP, cause he will only keep on improving, like you said my man if he keeps working on this andbecomes consistent along with some other minor improvements my man will have the complete package as a PF.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

Steps to Fixing the Knicks....

1. The Knicks 2 best offensive players (Jamal/Z-Bo) have the ball the most and have no idea how to move it around or pass. Z-Bo can shoot, he can move in the paint, he can score very easily,and is very skilled. Crawford is the one of the best ball handlers in the league, along with Steph -- but they both (Crawford & Z-Bo) are horrible ball-freezers....they pretty much take the team out of rhythm.

2. Also the great benefit of a PG is for teams with guys who do not know how to move the ball, just like the Knicks players. The PG moves it for everyone. Knicks needs a distributing PG that can control the ball.

3. Knicks need some "two way" minded players. They have offensive players (Curry, Z-Bo, Jamal) and defensive players (Lee, Balkman, Jones). The only guy that has ever done both is Q-Rich, and he is DONE.

4. Knicks need shooters. Once again, aside from Q-Rich, none of these guys can hit an open jump shot. Combining this lack of trust of your perimeter shooters with a lack of ball movement and you have a horrific team offense, just like the Knicks.

but I thought they'd do good this season (at least make the playoffs), but Zeke has absolutely no idea how to handle a team... a perfect example is the situation at the beginning of the season....combine that with the fact that this mix of players on the roster is the worst mix in the league, not to mention Zeke is the one that built this mix and is now coaching this mix, as well as having a joke of an owner, and your final result is the 07-08 New York Knicks.... I don't get how all these legends get HC jobs.... Zeke is like MJ, they both are/would be horrible head coaches, but would make great individual coaches, just like Kareem right now in L.A working with Andrew Bynum.......
Caught this late (shows how much my interest in this team has fallen off). But BullsRepeat I could not agree more with you analysis.

However does anyone actually believe that Isiah will admit that he made a mistake and try to trade either Curry or Randolph?!

The man wont even admit signing both JJ's on the squad were HUGE mistakes.

*flips to the Knicks game.....see's Eddy Curry turn the ball over, Zach shooting jumpers over 2 people, and Q0Rich trying to do an NBA 2k8 reverse layup knowing damn well he lost his explosiveness ages ago

*flips to the St. Johns game, seeing the same shh where they barely can score 40 points in an entire game, the only thing they have going for them is that they can play in Madison quare Garden.

I'm about to commit that.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

mman who the +$@+ is this new commentator, i cant stand him

Bring back more Gus and Clyde last year, we would have them like every other game last yeart and if not we would at least have Clyde all the time pretty much.

Now we have like 5 different commentators and except for like Gus and Clyde and Kenny at times they suck. I mean the commentators were the only good part aboutthis team. Looks like Dolan %#@+!!* that up too.

I mean without hearing clyde, why watch this awful team?

And Jamal Crawford is officially beginning to piss me off. Yall know i like his attitude and his scorinng abilities, etc. But damn his shot selection has beentrash and he hasnt scored like himself lately. If we cant get Rose or Beasley in the draft and have to settle with Gordon i wouldnt mind shipping him whi8lehis value is high and starting EG next season, with a guy like Nate at the point if we cant land Rose or someone.

I mean i dont want to make the same mistake we made the past 2 seasons with our 2 previous supposed "center pieces" or "building blocks" Imean 2 years ago we passed on guys like Artest because we were planning on building around Channing Frye in the future, next season he's gone for Z boafter a @%@+ year where we find out hes immensely soft. This summer although i was wrong about Frye i alwtys wanted Curry out, but we fail to trade him at hishighest value, and now we would be lucky to get a bag of chips in return. so i mean if we draft a guy like Gordon i wouldnt mind shopping around JC if we haveto. I mean back when Artest wanted ou of Indy to think we could have traded Channing Frye and than some trash players as cap fillers, makes me cringe that wepassed.

Dolan and Thomas are sleazeballs. Even if they manage to turn this franchise around, it'll be hard for me to like the team until these 2 are gone.

...smh...at just about everything(still)....but i will definitely be in attendance on wednesday when Lebron comes to town...(would be there Monday night too tosee CP3 were it not for damn night class)

ya'll still care?

i feel like +%% by giving them my hard earned $ by going to the game on monday (CP3 might have a career night)

they need Kiki but you know how they are

i mean do you reeeeeeally want kiki...the guy who gave kenyon martin a max contract, dude who couldnt bring a shooter to denver, dude who's success isbased on ping balls bringing melo to denver.....be carefull wat u wish for.....bring in west or colangelo

Back
Top Bottom