:: Official NBA Draft Thread - June 26, 7PM EST ::

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I believe Riley ahs to draft Beasley and can't trade him before July 1st, something like that.

you can trade the rights to the pick on draft day. that happens all the time.

I don't know why Seattle would want to make that deal. We learned last year that Durant was playing outta position at the 2, so you want to keep himthere for the next 3-4 years?? I don't see how that makes sense.

What Seattle needs is for one of those big stiffs to learn how to rebound and block shots and to play defense and a guard to distribute the ball to Durantand Green.

/\ How did we learn that Kevin was playing out of position? He looked great on the offensive side of the ball for the second half of the season and was decenton D all year long.

Damn I hope the Sonics and Heat can get this trade done. Beasley, Durant, and Green would be a great combo. I'm getting hyped up now
You talkin like the deal is imminent, If I were you I wouldn't get too excited.

laugh.gif

and I hope Chicago has fun with Rose, better hope he works on that jumper
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

/\ How did we learn that Kevin was playing out of position? He looked great on the offensive side of the ball for the second half of the season and was decent on D all year long.

At the same time, that was when he stopped relying on his 3 point shot and going to the line more. Durant is not a 2 guard and his future in the league isat the 3.

" How did we learn that Kevin was playing out of position? He looked great on the offensive side of the ball for the second half of the season and was decent on D all year long"
Coach PJ had Kevin leaking out on the fast break the first half of the year to get him and the team easy baskets which helps and hurts at thesame time....that limits his rebounding capabilities which he is capable of double digit boards if he plays in his more natural position which is a 3! can heguard another teams 3?? thats a good question... but he has the length and the wingspan to bother most of the 3's in the west. the sonics need scorers andim not saying Bayless can't score but Mayo and Beasley can change the course of the franshise IMHO!

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Originally Posted by Sick Ik 23

Damn I hope the Sonics and Heat can get this trade done. Beasley, Durant, and Green would be a great combo. I'm getting hyped up now

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

That would be a terrible combo. Seriously, why would the Sonics use 3 1st round picks in 2 years for players that play similar positions when they havegreater needs.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

That would be a terrible combo. Seriously, why would the Sonics use 3 1st round picks in 2 years for players that play similar positions when they have greater needs.
People said the same thing about Atlanta and they are one of the most promising teams in the league...

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I'd prefer Bayless to pair with KD and Jeff than Mayo.

I don't see why though. It isnt as if Bayless is more of a point gaurd than Mayo. If anything I think Mayo is a better distributor and defender thanBayless and would fit nicely with those two.

Suns looking to add another first round pick, offering Barbosa or Diaw. I like the Portland deal but I hate helping Portland again (A Roy/Barbosa backcourt forstretches during a game
eek.gif
) plus I still get the vibe from the Suns that they like someone to much and he won't be there (see Kerr's quote) so theywell sell the pick again.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/06/19/20080619sunsnotes.html [h1]Trade talk swirls around Diaw, LB[/h1]
17 comments by Paul Coro - Jun. 19, 2008 10:11 PM
The Arizona Republic

In the week before the NBA draft, the only speculation that keeps up with deciphering the next Suns' selection is talk about possible trades.

Since the season ended, any Suns deal figured to include Leandro Barbosa or Boris Diaw. Consideration for such moves has accelerated and cooled in recent weeks but remains a possibility with Phoenix looking to move up in Thursday's draft order or acquire another first-round pick to go with its No. 15 selection.

With Barbosa, the talks of most substance have been with Portland and New York. A Portland deal would have sent 21-year-old swingman Martell Webster[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)], next week's No. 13 pick and another piece for Barbosa.[/color] Webster, who is 6 feet 7, averaged 10.7 points and hit 39 percent of his 3-pointers as a starter last season while improving his defense and rebounding. He missed the final seven games due to an irregular heartbeat.

Webster will make $3.8 million in the upcoming final year of his contract. Barbosa, who averaged 15.6 points and hit 39 percent of his 3-pointers last season, will make $27.4 million in the next four years.

New York, with its No. 6 draft slot, often comes up as a trade destination for Barbosa since Mike D'Antoni accepted the Knicks job last month. Barbosa's tutor, Dan D'Antoni, also will join the Knicks staff.

Barbosa does not want to be traded. He met new Suns coach Terry Porter, saying "his personality is perfect for us."

Barbosa passed on playing for Brazil in an Olympic qualifier next month so that he could spend more time in Phoenix, where he works with Suns athletic trainers to strengthen his upper body and balance to help his defense.

"I'm always worried about that," Barbosa said of a trade after five seasons with the Suns. "I don't like the word trade. I feel this is my home."

A Diaw trade possibility involved Toronto, where talk centered on Diaw leaving for point guard T.J. Ford and the Raptors' No. 17 pick in Thursday's draft. Talks cooled but might reignite with Porter aboard. In Porter's first season as Milwaukee's head coach, Ford helped the Bucks to a 41-41 playoff season. When Ford missed the next season after neck surgery, the Bucks went 30-52 and fired Porter.

Ford, 25, is drawing interest but is a risk after having two vertebrae fused in 2004. He has three contract years worth $25 million remaining.

The Raptors, run by ex-Suns President Bryan Colangelo, just bought out Jorge Garbajosa and might be looking for a versatile forward such as Diaw, who will make $9 million in each of the next four seasons.

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr does not comment on player trade speculation but talked this week about moving up in the draft.

"There are guys we like that won't be there," Kerr said, referring to his 15th pick.
[h3]Barbosa, Nash to team up[/h3]
Barbosa said he and teammate Steve Nash will host a charity game in Brazil in September. Teammates Amaré Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal are expected to play.
Nash has a charity event Wednesday in New York City. He will play U.S. soccer star Claudio Reyna in a one-on-one soccer match at a park.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I'd prefer Bayless to pair with KD and Jeff than Mayo.

I don't see why though. It isnt as if Bayless is more of a point gaurd than Mayo. If anything I think Mayo is a better distributor and defender than Bayless and would fit nicely with those two.

As much as they both are REALLY combo guards...Bayless puts forth more of an effort to be a legit one...and I don't see that with Mayo so I too believeBayless is a better fit with Kevin and Jeff. I think at the end of day Bayless will be a PG who can score and Mayo will be a straight 2 guard in the league.

The Chicago Bulls had Michael Beasley in the gym on Tuesday and Derrick Rose on Thursday as they continue the process offiguring out who they should take No. 1.

According to a source close to the situation, both players were "excellent" in the workouts. Beasley hit shots, hustled and showed his all-aroundskill set. Rose was a beast athletically and shot the ball well.

In interviews, Rose came off as humble and quietly determined. Beasley was louder, but professional. Their press conferences after the fact obviouslyhighlighted the differences, with Beasley cracking jokes and Rose intensely focused on finding a way to go to his hometown team.

So the big question is, were the workouts enough to put the "Who's No. 1" question to rest? Apparently not.

Bulls GM John Paxson, along with new head coach Vinny Del Negro, were both careful to praise both players equally. At this point, they're not givingaway anything.

Paxson said that the team hasn't made any decisions and that the Bulls will spend the next week poring over data, looking at their team and trying tofind the best fit.

From what I can gather, Paxson's position is an honest one. The Bulls haven't decided who they're taking. The implications of their indecisionare actually fairly profound.

It means that they clearly aren't as concerned with Beasley's bouts with immaturity as the Heat appear to be. It also means that Rose's hometownadvantage isn't holding sway either.

dropQuote.gif
[h3]I'm an unselfish guard that's willing to do anything to win ... I mean anything.
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
--Derrick Rose
We've had Rose atop our last four mock drafts. Could Beasley hear his name first on draft night? Obviously it's possible, but from all the info I cangather it seems like at the end of the day, the Bulls will opt for Rose.
The scenario the Bulls face is eerily reminiscent of the 1994 draft. That year the Bucks selected Glenn Robinson with the No. 1 pick, an amazing scorer whojust averaged 30 points and 10 rebounds per game in his second year at Purdue. Robinson was seen as a can't-miss prospect. Like Beasley, Robinson was a guywho could score anywhere on the floor.

The Bucks' other option was Cal's big point guard Jason Kidd. Kidd averaged 16.7 points and 9.1 assists his sophomore year -- numbers that bestRose. But he shot 33 percent from 3-point range and had question marks about his ability to hit big shots in the pros.

Kidd went on to win co-Rookie of the Year honors and played in nine All-Star games and two NBA Finals. Robinson averaged 20 ppg for his career and was atwo-time All-Star.

Everyone likes scorers and rebounders which is why Beasley is so appealing. Statistically, as John Hollinger shows, he's oneof the best college prospects ever.

However, Paxson is in more desperate need of a leader who's willing to sacrifice for the team -- a guy who's value doesn't always show up in thebox score, just the win column. He had to be grinning from ear to ear when Rose said, "I'm an unselfish guard that's willing to do anything to win... I mean anything."

The Bulls really don't have a guy like that on their roster. They have scorers like Ben Gordon and Luol Deng. But they don't have that guy that willdo anything to win.

That's Rose and that's why I think, at the end of the day, that he's going No. 1.

19096.jpg

Alexander
The Knicks, Nets and Sixers are having a big group workout on Friday in New Jersey.
Joe Alexander and Roy Hibbert headline the bill. Alexander has already workedout for the Knicks and appears to be seriously in the mix, along with Russell Westbrook and Danilo Gallinari, at the No. 6 pick.

Obviously Knicks head coach Mike D'Antoni loves great athletes and GM Donnie Walsh is a fan of gritty players who come to play hard every night.It's a long shot, but from what I'm hearing the Knicks are genuinely intrigued by Alexander.

The Bucks have been eyeing Alexander as a possibility at No. 8. He seems like a perfect fit for new coach Scott Skiles.

As we start collecting info for our next Mock Draft on Monday ... here are a few things I'm hearing about players moving up and down the board.
19155.jpg

Koufos
• Ohio State's Kosta Koufos continues to earnpraise from his workouts. He's outplayed several more heralded prospects (like Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan and JaVale McGee) in workouts. And he's measured a legit7-foot-1 in shoes with a 7-foot-4 wingspan and 36-inch vertical jump.
• It appears that Kansas guard Mario Chalmers mightget a serious look from the Suns at No. 15.

• Stanford's Robin Lopez is also playing well.Well enough that if his brother Brook Lopez andGallinari are off the board at No. 10, the Nets would seriously consider him. The Warriors at No. 14 and the Suns at No. 15 are also possibilities. It soundslike he'll slip no further that No. 17. Washington State's Kyle Weaver, Mississippi State's Jamont Gordon and Turkish big man Omer Asik are three players who are getting some seriousinterest from teams in the 20s.

• A few players seem to be losing their place in line. LSU's Anthony Randolph's lack of strength has hurt him inworkouts. While teams say he's got unbelievable upside, they also think they're going to have to wait and wait on him. He also hasn't tested greaton some of the non-basketball related tests they give -- everything from personality to psych testing for leadership ability.

19062.jpg

Arthur
• Kansas forward Darrell Arthur has taken a beatingfor poor combine results, smallish measurements and string of a week where he didn't do workouts because of a strained back. He went back on the workoutcircuit on Thursday, playing in Indiana versus Randolph. I think he's moved out of any top 10 conversation. His range probably starts at 12 now and goes to18.
• I can't find a home for Syracuse forward DonteGreene yet. Everyone I talk to likes him, but I've yet to find a team that loves him.

• I've heard that Florida's MarreeseSpeights has worked out well, but I'm still trying to find a floor for him as well.

This time of the year, the information is flying fast and furious. Sources often have agendas and from time to time, I just get things wrong.
On Monday I wrote that the teams working out Gallinari in LA (the Grizzlies, Clippers and Timberwolves) wouldn't get the same access to him that theNets and Knicks got in private workouts. Not true according to Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace.

Wallace said that he was personally at the workout and that, "... our personnel conducted the workout, we were able to have unlimited time for theactual workout and preliminary physical testing conducted by our strength and conditioning coach, and myself, coach Marc Iavaroni and VP of player personnelTony Barone, Sr. were granted ample time to spend with Gallinari and his father including a post-workout lunch. Therefore, I do not feel we were grantedrestricted access to Gallinari."

• A Warriors representative shot down an assertion made in a couple of my columns that the team was looking to move Brandan Wright. He especially tookumbrage at the report that the team coveted Milwaukee's Yi Jianlian. I've been assured that Warriors GM Chris Mullin, who makes the final decisions atGolden State, isn't trading Wright for Yi.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Ohio State's Kosta Koufos continues to earn praise from his workouts. He's outplayed several more heralded prospects (like Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan and JaVale McGee) in workouts. And he's measured a legit 7-foot-1 in shoes with a 7-foot-4 wingspan and 36-inch vertical jump.
If you are a legit 7-foot-1 w/a 7-foot-4 wingspan, shouldnt you be a better rebounder, shot blocker, defender and a better scorer in the paint? Koufos is soft.

It is looking more and more than Rose is a lock to the Bulls. He wants to be there and he is a floor general that the Bulls definitely need. I don't careif he has a differnet skill set than Williams and paul, he controls the game much like them but attacks it differently. I love him and am dying to see him runour team.

I don't understand why the hell we would give up the pick and TJ for Diaw.

He's going to have to play three in our offense.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

That would be a terrible combo. Seriously, why would the Sonics use 3 1st round picks in 2 years for players that play similar positions when they have greater needs.
People said the same thing about Atlanta and they are one of the most promising teams in the league...
Where the Sonics missed up imo was getting Jeff Green, sorry AI3Xi, him and KD are the same position but because of Green's intangibles andunselfishness they think they will compliment each other and he was the best player available so they got him..i'm sure they didnt think then thatthey'd have a chance to get Beasley this year. if they go get Beasley you start him... and if you get Mayo he plays 2 imo
2 Durant 3 Durant

3 Green or 4 Beasley

4 Beasley 6th Green

Well...these dudes are premium athletes and multi talented...in todays NBA there is no such thing as being locked into a position. Kevin can play 3positions...Jeff can play 3 positions...Mike can play 3 positions. All effectively...because of the abilities they can each bring to the table...again I see noproblems with the three of them playing together. Kevin didn't miss out on rebounds because he played the 2 position...he missed on boards because he'snot there yet strength wise to go down there and grab them. At Texas he played the 5 and he played damn near 40 minutes per game so it wasn't hard to grabboards. Jeff can play and defend both the 3 and the 4 position. He's got good size...he's a great athlete...he's strong and he proved to be abetter scorer than many people figured he'd be in his first year. He was the perfect compliment to Kevin last year. Mike brings to the table what neitherone of them does...low post scoring. An Inside-Out game with Kevin/Mike would be dangerous...along with Jeff facilitating...not too many teams have that typeof versatility and size...god forbid one of those 7 footers develops then they're even more dangerous. Like I said...people kept questioning Atlanta'sacquistions of guys who played the "same position" but failed to realize how versatile they all were. They manage to put about 4 guys 6'8 andtaller on the floor at the same time and are successful at it. All it took was a point guard to get them in the right direction. So if the Sonics were to landBeasley...a legit NBA starter caliber PG who can distribute and shoot would make them the most promising team on the West right with Portland.

^ inmymind..i think this is a great discussion... i like Jeff don't get me wrong but a KD/Beasley combo i think can be out of this world and Jeff just addsto that!
Rebounding is about position and anticipation not about strength, when youre asked to leak out on a break you are not in a position to get boards... i knowthis because i heard a interview with PJ while they were playing the spurs talking about he has sacrificed KD's rebounding in order to get him easy basketsbecause he thought that might get him in the flow of the NBA better. 10 boards a game is in KD's capabilities if PJ lets him

Well...these dudes are premium athletes and multi talented...in todays NBA there is no such thing as being locked into a position. Kevin can play 3 positions...Jeff can play 3 positions...Mike can play 3 positions. All effectively...because of the abilities they can each bring to the table...again I see no problems with the three of them playing together. Kevin didn't miss out on rebounds because he played the 2 position...he missed on boards because he's not there yet strength wise to go down there and grab them. At Texas he played the 5 and he played damn near 40 minutes per game so it wasn't hard to grab boards. Jeff can play and defend both the 3 and the 4 position. He's got good size...he's a great athlete...he's strong and he proved to be a better scorer than many people figured he'd be in his first year. He was the perfect compliment to Kevin last year. Mike brings to the table what neither one of them does...low post scoring. An Inside-Out game with Kevin/Mike would be dangerous...along with Jeff facilitating...not too many teams have that type of versatility and size...god forbid one of those 7 footers develops then they're even more dangerous. Like I said...people kept questioning Atlanta's acquistions of guys who played the "same position" but failed to realize how versatile they all were. They manage to put about 4 guys 6'8 and taller on the floor at the same time and are successful at it. All it took was a point guard to get them in the right direction. So if the Sonics were to land Beasley...a legit NBA starter caliber PG who can distribute and shoot would make them the most promising team on the West right with Portland.

Pretty much....KD, Jeff and Beasley can all be on the floor and be great together.

Back
Top Bottom