Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to just start giving out the award the right way once it stops belonging to LeBron and actually give it to the most valuable player. You guys remeber the year when D Wade basically was the Heat(think it was 09-10 season) and he got hurt and they became the worst team in the league? He should have won MVP this year. This award really needs to start going to the actual most valuable player on a team. If James Harden wasnt there, that team wouldnt even be sniffing the playoffs, he deserves second place. He is willing that team to the playoffs single handely. If I could pick MVP it would go

1.LeBron

2.Harden

3.Parker

4.Gasol

5.Curry

6.Durant

7.Westbrook

8.Paul

9.Duncan

10.Anthony

I couldnt care less about concept of being the best player on the best team, MVP should go to the guy who if he was not there the team would fall apart along with whos individual contribution adds the most value to their team.

Question: How does the nba insurance work as it relates to injuries and players missing the season ala Pooh & Bynum?

The Steve Kerr/Reggie Miller/Chris Webber commentary was interesting... it was more like a discussion than a typical sports broadcast. It opened it up for them to be more technical (or maybe they were encouraged to do that) but aside from Reggie it was cool...

They need to just start giving out the award the right way once it stops belonging to LeBron and actually give it to the most valuable player. You guys remeber the year when D Wade basically was the Heat(think it was 09-10 season) and he got hurt and they became the worst team in the league? He should have won MVP this year. This award really needs to start going to the actual most valuable player on a team. If James Harden wasnt there, that team wouldnt even be sniffing the playoffs, he deserves second place. He is willing that team to the playoffs single handely. If I could pick MVP it would go

1.LeBron

2.Harden

3.Parker

4.Gasol

5.Curry

6.Durant

7.Westbrook

8.Paul

9.Duncan

10.Anthony

I couldnt care less about concept of being the best player on the best team, MVP should go to the guy who if he was not there the team would fall apart along with whos individual contribution adds the most value to their team.
eek.gif

The 'most valuable' argument in that sense still doesn't hold up.

It's like the Tom Brady/Matt Cassell arguments. Just because a team would still be decent (down from great) without their star doesn't make that star less valuable than a star on a decent team turning into a bad team without him.

What's Harden worth to the Rockets? 15-20 wins? I think they could still find their way to 25-30 wins without him. Knicks probably drop to a 35 win team without Melo. Lakers probably win 25-30 without Kobe?

So in that sense, is LeBron not worth 15 wins and the clear difference between a contending team and a middling playoff team? Is Durant not worth 15-20 wins and the difference between title contender and 6-8th seed?

Last edited:
i thought the insurance was full coverage paid back to the owner?
soo bynum gets his money and so do the owners?
theres insurance money in every city
yolo

1.LeBron
2.Harden
3.Parker
4.Gasol
5.Curry
6.Durant
7.Westbrook
8.Paul
9.Duncan
10.Anthony

So based on your definition of the award, if Lebron wasn't on the heat, the team would fall apart?

MVP should go to the best player in the league.

James Harden isn't the 2nd best player in the league. The problem with the "If that player wasn't there, how good would the team be" is it's too much of a hypothetical. The only way you can know for sure is if the player misses significant time, then returns... or gets hurt at the end of a season and the team collapses. Other than that, we're just assuming how a team might look if they miss their best player. 

Wade in 09 isn't the same as Harden this season. Wade's numbers were damn near equal to Lebron's, short of of couple rebounds. Harden deserves tons of praise for what he's doing, but like Al3xis said... just because the Rockets wouldn't be a playoff team without Harden, doesn't make him more valuable than Durant or Kobe. Even if they replaced KD with an average player, a Russ lead OKC team would not be as good. They'd still be in the playoffs at a good seed, but likely not contending for a championship. So how do you compare KD's value to Harden's in that case? Both teams wouldn't be as good... but one wouldn't be in the playoffs so that guy is more valuable?

It seems like it would be going to players on fringe playoff teams, rather than the best. 

Last edited:
Question: How does the nba insurance work as it relates to injuries and players missing the season ala Pooh & Bynum?

Pretty sure insurance pays for the whole season if they dont play any games (or a certain amount?)

I've always maintained the belief that Reindorf wasn't going to play Pooh at all this season just to let the insurance eat this years salary. But I thought I read something in which a team had a window in which they had to file the player as inactive for the season with the insurance company, and that time period had come and gone. Is that true?

Honestly, I think the MVP race looks like this:

1. Lebron 

---------------

2. Durant

3. CP3

4. TP (would've been 2 but he got injured)

5. Harden

James Harden isn't the 2nd best player in the league. The problem with the "If that player wasn't there, how good would the team be" is it's too much of a hypothetical. The only way you can know for sure is if the player misses significant time, then returns... or gets hurt at the end of a season and the team collapses. Other than that, we're just assuming how a team might look if they miss their best player. 

Wade in 09 isn't the same as Harden this season. Wade's numbers were damn near equal to Lebron's, short of of couple rebounds. Harden deserves tons of praise for what he's doing, but like Al3xis said... just because the Rockets wouldn't be a playoff team without Harden, doesn't make him more valuable than Durant or Kobe. Even if they replaced KD with an average player, a Russ lead OKC team would not be as good. They'd still be in the playoffs at a good seed, but likely not contending for a championship. 
WE don't know though, If OKC didnt have Durant, no one knows what the result will be.. Same thing with ppl who though Lakers were gonna give Miami a run for their money bc of their roster, but due to chemistry, injuries, etc. things got a little short of expectations. There's more to basketball than just "looking good on paper"

1.LeBron
2.Harden
3.Parker
4.Gasol
5.Curry
6.Durant
7.Westbrook
8.Paul
9.Duncan
10.Anthony

So based on your definition of the award, if Lebron wasn't on the heat, the team would fall apart?
The 'most valuable' argument in that sense still doesn't hold up.

It's like the Tom Brady/Matt Cassell arguments. Just because a team would still be decent (down from great) without their star doesn't make that star less valuable than a star on a decent team turning into a bad team without him.

What's Harden worth to the Rockets? 15-20 wins? I think they could still find their way to 25-30 wins without him. Knicks probably drop to a 35 win team without Melo. Lakers probably win 25-30 without Kobe?

So in that sense, is LeBron not worth 15 wins and the clear difference between a contending team and a middling playoff team? Is Durant not worth 15-20 wins and the difference between title contender and 6-8th seed?

Wade in 09 isn't the same as Harden this season. Wade's numbers were damn near equal to Lebron's, short of of couple rebounds. Harden deserves tons of praise for what he's doing, but like Al3xis said... just because the Rockets wouldn't be a playoff team without Harden, doesn't make him more valuable than Durant or Kobe. Even if they replaced KD with an average player, a Russ lead OKC team would not be as good. They'd still be in the playoffs at a good seed, but likely not contending for a championship. So how do you compare KD's value to Harden's in that case? Both teams wouldn't be as good... but one wouldn't be in the playoffs so that guy is more valuable?

It seems like it would be going to players on fringe playoff teams, rather than the best. 
The teams second best player is Chandler Parsons and theyre in the playoffs

Last edited:
I honestly think the Lakers would do fine without Kobe.

A Lakers team where Pau is injured a third of the season, a 39 year old Nash is injured a third of the season, and Dwight bricking half his free throws, coached by MDA would be fine right now without Kobe?

Good one brah :rofl:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom