Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, if you're Dwight Howard, would you rather play with a 34 year old Kobe or a 23 year old james harden? Play for Kevin mchale or mike d'antoni?

Sure he'd leave some bread on the table in LA, but it wouldn't be as much with Texas not having state taxes.
$30 mil in contract... Over 4 years at least $35mil in endorsements... His Adidas deal gets cut in half of what it is currently by going anywhere but LA, Chicago or NY.. That's just 1 endorsement.

houston is a big market if you already didnt know

and I thought we already deaded that shoe company will pay your more in bigger markets stuff?

It makes all the sense in the world for Dwight to go to Houston, they have the pieces in place already. The Lakers still need to build around him after this year.

Last edited:
says lin is a fraud.

mad because he didn't suit up for playoffs.

your team didn't want to pay him because of that damn poison pill loophole the rockets found. don't act like knicks weren't going to match that contract if it wasn't for that stipulation.

exactly. I didn't know how I felt about the Lin deal when it happened, because I was never too sold on him and I knew that third year would probably hinder us, but honestly, the team was desperate to get a name here. I feel like he's exactly the player that I thought he was, but slowly developing a little more and becoming more consistent and less turnover prone.

Houston has always paid to get people here and there's absolutely no reason to think it won't continue to happen if we get Dwight. we had Olajuwon/drexler then added Barkley and then tmac/Yao and then added artest. we're short one more legitimate star from being serious championship contenders. if we don't land Dwight, I assure you that other moves will be made to get us back...I just hope we don't overpay someone else if we can't land Dwight.

If he wants a chip he might as well
But, who is it in 2-3 years though? I don't doubt the Lakers often but I'm more skeptical this time around. LeBron, unlikely. CP3, unlikely. KD, Wade, Rose, Melo, Russ, Griffin, Harden, Parker, Kyrie - no. I guess Kevin Love is logical on the surface but other than that I'm just not seeing another guy who matters moving around in 2-3 years.

Kobe was good enough in his prime to elevate a Pau/Odom trio to the top. I don't see giving Dwight a guy like Kevin Love and other parts doing the same. Lakers got Magic - set for 12 years. Unfortunate down time, then had Shaq in the cross hairs - set for 8 years. Steal Kobe and he pans out - set for an additional 9 years on top of Shaq. The Lakers make things work but they bridged the gap 3 times with 3 of the 10 greatest players of all time.
EXACTLY!!

Ok i Really want people to put themselves in the thought process of Dwight Howard for one second. Who willingly gives away a guaranteed 30 mil, & a chance once kobe leaves to be the face of the most well known basketball franchise in the world?

I don't think anybody takes into account all the other things that have to be considered when leaving a team for another.

also, Houston isn't some small city (although I've never been there). it's the 4th largest city in the country behind NYC, LA, and Chicago respectively. didn't realize that til I looked it up.

Ok i Really want people to put themselves in the thought process of Dwight Howard for one second. Who willingly gives away a guaranteed 30 mil, & a chance once kobe leaves to be the face of the most well known basketball franchise in the world?

I don't think anybody takes into account all the other things that have to be considered when leaving a team for another.

Dwight DOES NOT want to be the face of a franchise. He rather be the 1B and have fun, while winning at the same time. LA will eat him alive if they cant succeed. Houston is the perfect fit.

At this point, what Houston has + Dwight >>>>>

Last edited:
also, Houston isn't some small city (although I've never been there). it's the 4th largest city in the country behind NYC, LA, and Chicago respectively. didn't realize that til I looked it up.

as far as land mass, we're the largest in the country. we definitely aren't some second tier city...

dwight wants to be the face of the franchise and be featured. but he is a mental ****** when it comes to criticism. LA will eat him alive. i still see him staying and signing with the lakers when it's all said and done.

Well, guess that settles it. Dwight will be a Rocket next year. Glad NT could clear that up for us.

CP you have to stop comparing this Dwight Lakers future situation to Shaq.

The Lakers lucked out big time in the 1996, traded for Kobe Bryant at a time HS school players were still risky and NBA scouting was elementary. That's what happened that made the next 17 years so damn bright and prosperous.

Is that what you expect to happen? Is this where to expect history to repeat itself?

Lets say the Lakers keep Dwight, who do you expect to get in 2014? Which free agents?

Kevin Love in 2015, but is Dwight going to wait till he's 30 years old to get a chance to start winning?

Essential you said Houston is no NYC, LA, Chi. You're right, they're ranked right behind them as the 4th biggest market/city in the United States. You make it seem like Dwight would be going to Portland or Minnesota.

If this current Rockets team was the Lakers, 100% chance Dwight signs.

Food for thought.

Watch your mouth.

Haha, I'm just saying homie, your market is small. I like Portland tho, I've watched Portlandia. The dream on the 90's in alive in Portland and I respect that.

Denni5 you're right, I shouldn't be throwing numbers out there like others have, but it was a hypothetical. Lets say very strong chance instead of 100

Haha, I'm just saying homie, your market is small. I like Portland tho, I've watched Portlandia. The dream on the 90's in alive in Portland and I respect that.

Denni5 you're right, I shouldn't be throwing numbers out there like others have, but it was a hypothetical. Lets say very strong chance instead of 100

i do agree with you, though. the lakers are my team, but that houston team seems more like dwight's cup of tea. young and fun, with a serious chance to make some noise.

Can people stop saying Dwight would be giving up 30 mil? The only way he's giving up 30 mil is if he plans to retire the second he finishes his next contract. He'd def be giving up some money but it really depends on a bunch of other factors, mainly how good Dwight is at 33.

Kobe said he's playing for atleast 2 more years. Is Dwight supposed to be happy with the fact that he MAY become the face of the Lakers in 2.5 seasons? If Kobe retires - if his image isn't ruined by then - if Kobe doesn't kill him.

"Don't worry Dwight - only 2 more years of this soap opera, then maybe it'll be over!"

I mean, i understand the Laker fan optimism. Everything has gone your way for the past couple decades. But you're crazy if you think there's NO chance someone as fickle as Dwight might leave especially since there are other pretty good situations available to him.

Dwight is not signing with Houston..I have a feeling he will stay in LA..fine by me, as long as we get love, or LMA...but it still does not hurt to try and pry howard to be with harden 
pimp.gif

The Rockets' entire offensive system is going up and down the floor and running pick and rolls.

Something Dwight doesn't like by all accounts with the Lakers.

Wait, what?

Last edited:
Can people stop saying Dwight would be giving up 30 mil? The only way he's giving up 30 mil is if he plans to retire the second he finishes his next contract. He'd def be giving up some money but it really depends on a bunch of other factors, mainly how good Dwight is at 33.

Kobe said he's playing for atleast 2 more years. Is Dwight supposed to be happy with the fact that he MAY become the face of the Lakers in 2.5 seasons? If Kobe retires - if his image isn't ruined by then - if Kobe doesn't kill him.

"Don't worry Dwight - only 2 more years of this soap opera, then maybe it'll be over!"

I mean, i understand the Laker fan optimism. Everything has gone your way for the past couple decades. But you're crazy if you think there's NO chance someone as fickle as Dwight might leave especially since there are other pretty good situations available to him.

The "soap opera" only exist because of his contract and the Lakers having a bad season. Next year they come back with him & Pau resigned and healthy along with a few of our role players and this team is better than the rockets with him on it. Two years from now the lakers would have nobody but him and Nash on their payroll and he could literally help choose the other superstar players he wants.

Add that to the fact that NOBODY wants to lose a few million no matter how much money they have. L.A has the best History, Will keep him in contention in the near future & will have a chance to completely revamp a year after. That situation is better than the rockets.

Unless media attention really drives him that crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom