Official N.Y. Yankees 2009 SEASON THREAD (103-59) WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

pimp.gif

Ah, so not the ideal start to the season.

I am shocked Sabathia pitched the way he did. He had no command at all, especially with his fastball. He also had no strikeouts, which is rare. Perhaps it wasthe first game jitters? I don't know, I hope that is just what is was. For a few innings, he was placing a heated pad on his stomach/ribs, hopefully it wasnothing major (we'll find out in the post game). I hope he fixes whatever was wrong with his stuff today and is ready for this next start.

Here is my take on the rest of the game:

We had plenty of opportunities to score and either add on to your original lead/tie the game and then take the lead.
- Nady's blunder at 3B hurt us. So did his at-bat in the, I think 7th inning. Swisher should have pinch hit for him instead of Ransom.
- Teixeira was consistently booed, and I think it showed. I know he has slow Aprils, but today was hard not to think he was affected by the crowd. He had anopportunity to tie the game, and shut up the crowd, with Pena at 3rd as the tying run in the 8th, but failed to get him in.
- Jeters at-bat in the 8th (same inning with Pena at 3rd) was terrible. A slow grounder to SS. He should have tried to at least get it to the outfield,preferably deep.

Highlights, if at any:
- Brett Gardner. Speed kills, and his arm/defense is better than advertised in my opinion.
- Posada and Hideki HR. Hideki HR is key because he is going to be a solid DH this season (shots fired at those who wanted him traded..
wink.gif
), rarely playing the outfield, if at all.
-cousin onewearz and Phil Coke (besides that 2 Run HR) pitched well out of the bullpen. Bruney struggled a bit.

Well that's that. Wang is on the mound on Wednesday, hopefully we get a solid outing from him. Looking forward to the ground balls.

Win or lose it's gonna be an interesting season for us Yankee fans on NT.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I understand we get treated like the Lakers here on NT, but some people just OD.

Then again, this is the only time of the year where I feel like one of my teams is EXPECTED to succeed so it's only right.

I think we have a great opportunity to win this series despite this loss. Guthrie is their ace, and with Koji Uehara and Alfredo Simon starting the next 2games for the birds I like our chances. It's a long season the world series isn't until 7 months from now.

Originally Posted by NikeAirBound

and with Koji Uehara and Alfredo Simon starting the next 2 games for the birds I like our chances.
If you haven't noticed, over the years, we can never hit against pitchers who, as advertised based on stats, we should be knocking out of thegame early on.

Still, we'll see how we fair on Wednesday. I hope Wang pitches well, and the offense comes around. We are going to need Teixeira to carry the offense untilA-Rod comes back. I know he is known to start off slow, but hopefully the booing won't be as bad or he will just ignore it (because I think he was gettingflustered by it today, whether he would admit it) and he will have a good game and pick up his first hit of this early season.

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by NikeAirBound

and with Koji Uehara and Alfredo Simon starting the next 2 games for the birds I like our chances.
If you haven't noticed, over the years, we can never hit against pitchers who, as advertised based on stats, we should be knocking out of the game early on.
Yes I've seen it happen a lot i.e Daryl Thompson shutting down the Yanks in his major league debut.
indifferent.gif
I'm just an optimist when it comes to the Yanks I don't throwthings until at least June.

That's what Joe Girardi had to say. He didn't seem overly concerned with the events of the day. CC Sabathia could not command his fastball and as a result he gave up six runs. Over the course of the season, that's going to happen four or five times.

In terms of specifics …

Mark Teixeira said he was expecting the boos. But they were particularly loud today. That the local hero turned down his hometown team doesn't sit well with the Baltimoreans. But why in the world would he have signed here in the first place?

Xavier Nady was waved around third by Rob Thomson, who thought that ball in the sixth inning was getting through. By the time he put up the stop sign, Nady had his head down and was running.

The Yankees left 11 runners on base, at least one in every inning. "It seemed like there were a bunch of times we were about to take the lead," Johnny Damon said.

Nice start for Brett Gardner, who was 1 for 3 with a sacrifice and threw a runner out at the plate. Ramiro Pena made his debut and Nick Swisher came off the bench with a double. Hideki Matsui ripped one and Jorge Posada was on base three times and caught nine innings.

It'll get better. It can't get much worse than today.

Thanks to everybody for reading today and sorry for the occasional technical issues. Lots of traffic today as you might expect.

I have a feeling like Swisher could take over a outfield spot. Not based on his double today.

But I just like the guy.

And true- stole your sig.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

I have a feeling like Swisher could take over a outfield spot. Not based on his double today.

But I just like the guy.
If he is taking over any outfield spot, it's going to be Nadys. I personally like Nady, but I can say his play today was not good. I also likeSwisher. His play, and his personality. Looks like a guy you just want to kick back and have a few beers with. He's great for the clubhouse and dugoutduring games. He'll get his reps off the bench, and I'm sure he'll start on occasion.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

God damn, its the first game of the season.
indifferent.gif
Dont worry, most of these guys wont be talking towards the end of the season.

^ Are you a new Yankee fan? Because your response sounds like this whole 'People hate my Yankees' concept is kind of new to you.

Yuck 'em.
wink.gif

*glad baseball is back*

*looking forward to going back and forth with all you level-headed Yankee fans* Y'all know who you are.
wink.gif
smokin.gif

To all the Yankee fans I'm cool with.....

66725914b8f3c064fb8f9ce2fdd1c965-getty-85138761gf014_new_york_yank.jpg

And to all the Yankee fans I'm not cool with....

1b6eb9099bf62f92b327db478f1a75d9-getty-85138761gf022_new_york_yank.jpg

Have a good night.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

God damn, its the first game of the season.
indifferent.gif
Dont worry, most of these guys wont be talking towards the end of the season.
Or we could repeat last season
laugh.gif

Hitting the post limit during the first game FTL.

well, it was just one game, and i know Wang will shut OS down on wednesday!
but, lets go mets, looking good in the first game : P

laugh.gif
@ everyone making a big deal out of CCs first start.

First game jitters...Lets do it.

Originally Posted by Yoda

laugh.gif
@ everyone making a big deal out of CCs first start.

First game jitters...Lets do it.
I'm sayin'.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

It's all good though...that's how you can tell baseball is back.

Been a minute since I posted in a Yankees thread...
eek.gif
. Enough lurkin'for me...

Back
Top Bottom