[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

On the road at Houston is never a SIMPLE task, plus Pedro pitches tonight and he hasn't pitched since BEFORE the break, so good luck to him.

Focus on winning 2 out of 3.

Oh....and Dan Murphy was promoted to AAA, these guys are moving rather quickly.
laugh.gif
His bat is very good but he's still adjusting defensively.

For the guys who don't follow prospects as closely:

(NR) Dan Murphy
IF, Binghamton 23 2006
13th .302 .367 .468 10 6-8
? Another guy off the Binghamton team, Murphy has come out of basically nowhere this season opening up eyes around the league, even making the Eastern League All-Star team. Even with Murphy hitting for very nice power (10 HR 17 2B) he probably wouldn't of been this high a couple of weeks ago. Coming into the season Murphy was a 3B/1B who wasn't very good defensively at either position.. He was blocked at 3B, of course, by David Wright, and guys like Carp and Evans were ahead of him on the depth chart at 1B. But, recently, Murphy has made the move to 2B, which jumps his prospect status. Second base is a position in which the Mets lack depth in, and playing 2B his power translates to above average, unlike at 1B or 3B in which his power would be average bordering below average

Only thing is players like Carp and Fernando should have been called up weeks ago, but the Mets AAA is like a Latino retirement home of has-beens.
laugh.gif
Ourbest young talent are in AA.

Dro will be limited to 80 pitches tonight so I'm not sure what to expect.

Impeccable command is all I ask.

And as I type this, he gives up a homer to that bastard Kaz Matsui.
laugh.gif

edit:
Impeccable command is a bit much to ask. I understand he'll be rusty.
But what I should have probably said is that I want to see him locate his pitches as best he can tonight.

Right now Pedro is doing what I expected..... 3 ER over 4 innings so far... he will go 5, and 3 ER over 5 is what i wanted
pimp.gif

Bases loaded, no outs.

No stoneface exists in the size that I'd like to post right now.

The way the Astros played that, you would think they are battling for home field advantage in the NL playoffs (reliever for each batter).

He should have PH for Chavez, he can't hit a lefty to save his life.

EDIT: Now the Astros will do what the Mets couldn't.

The way the Astros played that, you would think they are battling for home field advantage in the NL playoffs (reliever for each batter).

He should have PH for Chavez, he can't hit a lefty to save his life.

EDIT: Now the Astros will do what the Mets couldn't.

Farm report: Niese on his way up?

By not including him in a trade for the stretch run, the Mets gave an indication that they are thinking of using Jon Niese at some point during the next twomonths, and that is looking more likely given the fragile situations of John Maine and Pedro Martinez.

Tony Bernazard, the team's vice president of player development, is a big proponent of fast-tracking players through the minors, and Niese now is on thattype of career arc. The 21-year-old lefthander began this season at Double-A Binghamton, where he went 6-7 with a 3.04 ERA in 22 starts before he was promotedto Triple-A New Orleans on Wednesday.

Niese did not disappoint in his Zephyrs debut. He allowed three hits and one run in seven innings and struck out seven in New Orleans' 7-1 victory overTucson. Niese threw 65 strikes in 96 pitches.

The Mets won't need a fifth starter until Aug. 9, but Niese is shaping up as a decent insurance policy for Maine, who was diagnosed with a mild strain ofhis rotator cuff, or Martinez, who starts for the first time since July 12 tonight in Houston

I would LOVE to see Neise get a spot start. It's probably wayyyy too soon but nothing wrong with letting a young kid get a feel for what the Big Leaguesare like.

As for yesterday's game, they reverted back to their old ways for a game (score early, not add insurance runs later), plus Jerry should have PH for Chavez,no excuse leaving him in vs a lefty with the bases loaded. Plus, Jerry is using Heilman for 2 innings way too often, he can't be the 6th and 76th inningguy its not fair to him (pen needs to step up). It's still a shame Omar didn't re-sign Darren Oliver and Chad Bradford, he pretty much ruined the penhimself (it wouldn't even be an issue with those 2 still here).

I heard Ollie will start on Sunday for Maine, who will miss a start to rest his shoulder.

This came out of nowhere:
eek.gif

[h1]Daniel Murphy's Triple-A career lasts one day, gets call to Mets[/h1]
BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 1st 2008, 10:45 PM

HOUSTON - Daniel Murphy's Triple-A career lasted one day. The 23-year-old prospect is expected to join the Mets for Saturday night's game against the Astros, the Daily News has learned.

A 13th-round pick in 2006 out of Jacksonville University, Murphy is perhaps the Mets' top minor-league hitter, rivaling teenage phenom Fernando Martinez. He's mostly played third base in his minor-league career, but has also seen action at first base, second base and left field this season.

Murphy may not be the only farmhand joining the Mets soon, either. Top minor-league pitcher Jon Niese could debut on Aug. 11 at Shea, in a rainout makeup against the Pirates. With the Mets scheduled to play 23 straight days beginning Tuesday, Jerry Manuel wants to give a pitcher a spot start that day to lessen the workload on his five starters.

Mets brass said it's too early to commit to a pitcher to face Pittsburgh, and Niese should have one more Triple-A start to state his case. A 21-year-old lefthander with a big curveball, Niese allowed just one run on three hits in seven innings in his Triple-A debut Wednesday.

After Thursday's trading deadline passed, GM Omar Minaya predicted that pitchers Bobby Parnell and Eddie Kunz, Murphy, Martinez and Niese could make contributions to the big-league team this season.

MAINE TIME FRAME: John Maine won't return to the rotation until Friday at Shea against the Marlins, as Mets brass proceeds with caution after the righthander was diagnosed with a mild strain of the right rotator cuff.

After three days of inactivity, Maine said the normal "dull ache" behind his shoulder that he had been feeling between starts has disappeared. He can't be sure whether the pain will resurface, but should have a better idea once he throws a bullpen session tomorrow. Doctors told him the next step to consider would be receiving a cortisone injection, but Maine hopes that won't be necessary.

CASTILLO UPDATE: Luis Castillo played in his first rehab game yesterday, going 0-for-2 with a walk as a DH in the Gulf Coast League. Castillo, who has been on the DL for a month with a strained left hip flexor, could return in a week. . . . Tony Armas Jr. (1-0, 7.56 ERA), who made three appearances with the Mets, underwent hernia surgery yesterday. . . . Don't expect a meaningful contribution from Orlando Hernandez. He's still awaiting a specially configured cleat to relieve discomfort associated with his barking right bunion and hasn't been on a mound since leaving a Double-A game on July 17. . . . Former Cubs/Giants infielder Ramon Martinez signed a minor-league deal and was assigned to New Orleans. Martinez, 35, was released by the Dodgers on July 24 after hitting .287 in 28 games at Triple-A Las Vegas.

Castillo's NY career is all but over.
laugh.gif
I saw Dan play 2x and he's HUGE, he is still adjusting to playing 2B but I'd love to see him get anat bat if this game is a blowout. Its Santana Vs Oswalt so I doubt that, games at Houston are never easy.
News: Maine to Miss Start
By Regis Courtemanche - Aug 2, 2008 9:31 am

John Maine will not make his next scheduled start on Sunday against the Astros due to a strained rotator-cuff.

The Mets will also use a spot starter in a makeup game against the Pirates on August 11th. The buzz is that LHP Jon Niese will be called up from triple-A New Orleans to make the start.

Fernando needs to be promoted to AAA asap as well as Carp and Kunz, they will make our team better.

PS: Someone please tell David Wright to get his old level swing bat. He had the best swing in the entire league, and now he tries too hard and wants to pullpull pull with that uppercut swing. He is among the league leaders in RBIs but he would have 100+ right now if he had his old swing.

...and Beltran, please stop waiting for the "perfect pitch" before you swing, it wouldn't hurt to fight off bad pitches.

After the day-off following this series on monday, it's 29 games in 30 days. Talk about a killer schedule down the stretch.
eek.gif

And on top of that, Mets end the season with 17 straight games.
smh.gif

(Though the last 7 are at home)

Every other team in the division has a much more favorable schedule when it comes to off-days.

They will probably send down Cancel aka the Fridge.

......and yes 29 games in 30 days is brutal but almost the entire month is against teams below .500. If the Mets want to be a good ball club this season, theyMUST take advantage and win a majority of the series (this series vs Houston included).

The last week for the Mets is a 7 game home stand vs the Cubs (4 games) and Marlins. If the Cubs clinch way before then we will probably be facing spotstarters than so the Cubs series wouldn't be too crazy. Mets need to take advantage NOW.

Missed the game last night, but I caught the highlights. Once I saw they left the bases juiced, I knew they hadn't won.

Hopefully Murphy can do some damage, and I also want to see F-Mart,Cunz, and Niese up before the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom