Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by drock2010

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Condit is already set to face Lytle after ducking Fitch.

Fitch was supposed to fight Ellenberger but that fight got scrapped. I'm pretty sure he would of took a fight with Fitch

Anyway I think Hardy would be the best next fight for Koscheck. but he seriously needs to work on his striking.
Yeah, Fitch got pulled so he can fight BJ. And Condit was offered a fight at UFC 127 against Fitch, said he needed more time to train, then took a fight with Lytle at UFC 127.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Originally Posted by shogun

Joe Silva should just tell George to move up now.  His fight against Shields can be at 185.  The weight cut to 170 drains Shields way too much.
I can't think of any interesting title defenses left for him.

Koscheck did impress me with his takedown defense and ability to get back up.  The only other person I remember recently that stuffed a few of his takedowns was Alves.

If the fight was at 185 it would be pointless because it would be non-title. The point of having those two fight is because they have been the best at 170 for a couple years now. Shields said he gained muscle to move up to 185 and the first weight cut back down was hard, but also said he would be find for the next one. 
the main reason i would want to see it at 185 is so the fight will be good.  that's all i care about.  i don't care if it'll be a 3 round non-title fight.  i know the ufc told him to go back down to WW just to challenge GSP.  in a year or two they'll probably both be at MW.
he says the next cut will be fine but we'll have to wait and see.  if he comes in drained again, it'll be a waste of a potential good fight and a crappy ending for GSP in the division.  i'm just voicing what i want to see.  i know it won't happen.

GSP has said if he fights at 185 he would stay at 185. If he beats Shields, he's going to 185. There's no other reason not to and after the press conference last night I'm pretty sure that's what Dana wants to happen. If Andy beats Vitor and GSP beats Shields they are fighting each other at 185. What's most likely to happen is that Shields beats GSP, cleans out the division, then the real superfight of Shields/Andy happens.
nerd.gif

Just read this, and it's interesting...Dana is toying with the idea of Silva v GSP.

[h1]UFC boss: Shields next for title, but St-Pierre, Silva have cleaned out their divisions[/h1]
by John Morgan on Dec 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm ET
anderson-silva-25.jpg
MONTREAL – UFC president Dana White has a simple take on a potential superfight between UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (21-2 MMA, 15-2 UFC) and current middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva (27-4 MMA, 12-0 UFC).

If you want it, let's do it.

Following another dominating performance by St-Pierre in the featured matchup of Saturday's UFC 124 event, White said the Canadian superstar has nothing left to prove at 170 pounds; likewise for Silva at 185.

"Every time a guy goes in and fights, there's always somebody there," White said. "There's always going to be new guys popping up, but when do you say the division is finally [expletive] clean?

"There's still going to be guys there and guys that have won. I mean, it's about time we say both guys have earned their dues. They really have."

In White's mind, at least, Silva's 12-straight octagon wins make for the easiest sell.

"[Silva] is a guy that's wiped out an entire division," White said. "He really has. Anderson Silva, not only has he wiped out the 185-pound division, he also beat a couple of guys at 205.

"This guy has knocked off all the best guys. He hasn't lost a fight since 2006. It's almost 2011."

But White believes St-Pierre is in a similar position. Riding an eight-fight win streak bookended by victories over Josh Koscheck and featuring five-consecutive title defenses, St-Pierre is also in rarefied air, according to White.

"[St-Pierre] has cleaned out the division now," White said. "Georges St-Pierre has beaten everybody. He lost to (Matt) Serra, but he came back and avenged it. That's what it's all about for me.

"I don't like guys fighting each other at different weights until they've done what those two have done, and they've both done it."

For St-Pierre, the prospect is not one he takes lightly. If he makes the leap to 185 pounds, he wants to leave the welterweight division behind for good. He knows he'll need to pack on weight to compete in the middleweight division, and he believes trying to bounce between weightclasses is detrimental to one's timing as a fighter.

Silva, of course, currently has Vitor Belfort in February, and "The Phenom" is certainly not to be taken lightly. Meanwhile, St-Pierre has expressed his interest in fighting at April's UFC 131 event in Toronto, which would be a quick turnaround for Silva, even if he does get past Belfort.

Which leaves, perhaps, at least one more fight for St-Pierre at 170 pounds. On Saturday, White again confirmed that slot is Jake Shields' for the taking, and St-Pierre professed his interest in the matchup.

"I like watching [Shields] fight," St-Pierre said. "He's a very meticulous fighter. He's a very technical guy. He's a brilliant submission artist. I like to see him. He's one of the guy I like to see the most.

"He beat up guys at 170 and almost everybody at 185. He fights in both weightclasses. He's amazing."

Silva claims he may actually be able to drop below 185 pounds for a one-time blockbuster matchup with St-Pierre. White finds that incredible for the sometimes-light heavyweight, but he's certainly open to the idea.

Of course, fans would probably much prefer a five-round title affair than a three-round catchweight contest for the once-in-a-generation matchup of the world's top two fighters.

And it may just be Belfort and Shields standing in the way because White certainly isn't.

"If Georges said he was going to go to 185 and stay there, then it would be for the title," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It would be a superfight for the 185-pound title.

"It's hard to say no. It's hard for me to say, 'This fight doesn't make sense.'"

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Damn how as a professional fighter you cant defend against a jab? The most basic strike of all striking.

Dude had ZERO head movement as well. if guy is protecting for overhand right u have to slang some right hooks under the defense to the Liver and ribs.

Koschek Knows all of this, but ... he got punched in the mouth, repeatedly,  and that plan went out the window

Damn how as a professional fighter you cant defend against a jab? The most basic strike of all striking.

to be fair, not many fighters even use the jab.  mma is filled with a lot of power shots, sloppy striking, and not much defense.  gsp and bj are two of the few that use it often and they kill people with it.  it was funny to see gsp jab the crap out of bj's face since bj is usually the one doing it.

to be fair, not many fighters even use the jab.  mma is filled with a lot of power shots, sloppy striking, and not much defense.  gsp and bj are two of the few that use it often and they kill people with it.  it was funny to see gsp jab the crap out of bj's face since bj is usually the one doing it.
This. BJ raped Diego with the jab to, controlled the entire fight with it

Joe Silva should just tell George to move up now.  His fight against Shields can be at 185.  The weight cut to 170 drains Shields way too much.
I can't think of any interesting title defenses left for him.

Koscheck did impress me with his takedown defense and ability to get back up.  The only other person I remember recently that stuffed a few of his takedowns was Alves.

If the fight was at 185 it would be pointless because it would be non-title. The point of having those two fight is because they have been the best at 170 for a couple years now. Shields said he gained muscle to move up to 185 and the first weight cut back down was hard, but also said he would be find for the next one. 
the main reason i would want to see it at 185 is so the fight will be good.  that's all i care about.  i don't care if it'll be a 3 round non-title fight.  i know the ufc told him to go back down to WW just to challenge GSP.  in a year or two they'll probably both be at MW.
he says the next cut will be fine but we'll have to wait and see.  if he comes in drained again, it'll be a waste of a potential good fight and a crappy ending for GSP in the division.  i'm just voicing what i want to see.  i know it won't happen.
Dana asked him to move back to WW and Jake agreed, he said he some muscle to fight at 185 and that he never cut from that high a weight down to 170. He swears he will be back to old self next time. And to be honest 25 minutes of Jake v. George doesn't sound too exciting to me 
ohwell.gif
 at any wight class

Best case scenario for me:

Silva defeats Belfort in Feb 2011
Dana punks Okami and gives Sonnen a rematch with Silva around July or August 2011, Silva wins
GSP defeats Shields at UFC 131 in April 2011
Okami gets left in the cold

Immediate 185 title bout between GSP/Spider in January 2012. Actually, that doesn't make sense for GSP to only have one fight in 2011. SMH, this scenario is hard to imagine.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Dana punks Okami and gives Sonnen a rematch with Silva around July or August 2011, Silva wins

Immediate 185 title bout between GSP/Spider in January 2012. Actually, that doesn't make sense for GSP to only have one fight in 2011. SMH, this scenario is hard to imagine.
I am in complete disagreement with this plan. Perfect scenario for me:
-Silva beats Belfort in Feb

-GSP beats Jake in April

-Okami gets his title shot ahead of George in the summer

-George waits for Anderson or fights Condit if he wins against Lytle 

-GSP v. Anderson on the new years card 2012 

Sonnen gets left in the cold to beat three contenders to get another title shot. Dude lost, doped and doesn't deserve a title shot anything soon

I don't mind that either, I just want GSP/Spider to start 2012.

I doubt GSP only has one fight in 2011, maybe have him fight a now focused Alves again to close out GSP's WW career. Because I honestly don't care to see Condit nor Lytle

Actually I revise mine:

Silva beats Belfort in FEB 2011
GSP beats Shields in April 2011

GSP skips over Okami and they fight to end 2011.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

I am in complete disagreement with this plan. Perfect scenario for me:
-Silva beats Belfort in Feb

-GSP beats Jake in April

-Okami gets his title shot ahead of George in the summer

-George waits for Anderson or fights Condit if he wins against Lytle 

-GSP v. Anderson on the new years card 2012 

Sonnen gets left in the cold to beat three contenders to get another title shot. Dude lost, doped and doesn't deserve a title shot anything soon
I think the best thing to do is the do fight at a catchweight of 180 (since Silva said he can make that weight) after Silva fights Belfort (win or lose)

They should leave Shields in the cold if anything cuz GSP vs Shields would be a boring fight.

GSP vs Silva happens then after they can both go back to their respective weight classes. GSP vs Shields happens maybe Penn gets a 3rd go around with GSP. Silva (if he beats Belfort) fights Sonnen again after Sonnen most likely beats Wanderlei

GSP has nothing left to gain at 170. Let him beat Shields and then have him just move up officially to 185.

I don't want a catchweight fight. I want a title fight, 5 rounds. I don't think GSP wants to move up and down in weight, he just wants to stay in one class.

Nothing for me to say that hasn't already been said.

My man put in WORK on Koscheck's face Saturday night! Couldn't ask for a more dominating performance.

Shields better work out a solid gameplan now, he's in for a long night if he doesn't come extra prepped.

WEC 53 is almost here, I'll be 9 rows from the cage to watch Ben & Dominick retain their titles!!

AZ boys gonna represent!!!

GSP vs. Shields in UFC 129, 3 months is enough for GSP
GSP vs. Silva in July
Winner of that fight vs. Okami in the winter
Loser faces Sonnen, great match regardless.

So what does this mean for Brock? I know they were interested in Brock/Mir III but it was poorly received by fans.

They'll probably give him someone like Roy Nelson

^
He wanted to fight Nelson next but Nelson has actually been under contract with another organization.  He can't fight again until he gets that legal issue fixed.

Tonight's going to be the last WEC event ever.  Glad that there's going to be 2 title fights.

I think Cruz will retain his belt.  His breakdancing-style standup is hard to prepare for.  He's also a good wrestler so Scotty might have trouble getting him down.

Benson's a beast.  I was not impressed with Pettis's last performance.  I'm not sure how good he is.

Back
Top Bottom