Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by illphillip

On the subject of Griffin/Sherk, I don't care who wins, but I think Tyson Griffin is one of the most over rated LW's out there. Lost to Frankie Edgar. Lost to Clay Guida IMO. Yet people talk about the kid like he's a serious contender.

I think he's over matched against Sherk for sure but I don't think he's overrated. I thought he beat Guida (just because he was more active, evenfrom a less dominant position) and he definitely got owned by Edgar but he also could be fighting at 145. Either way, it's either gonna be the best fightof the night or boring est.

Originally Posted by jbone2308

I think in the last 5 years the MMA game has caught up to 1-dimensional fighters. Hughes is just mad he one of those. He talked crap about George and got handled twice, then talked about Thiago and got own3d, now still hating on GSP? He's just a prick. I believe the Chuck is one of those fighters the game has caught up to also.

As for Leban in the main, I'm cool with that cuz I hope he knocks Bisbing out. Bisbing gets like every fight at home in England so I hope Leban gets in him. He moved down cuz he didn't want to fight Hamil again.

90 looks good and I think Thiago will give it to Diego. It can be a decent card if everybody brings thier A game. Well Cote it won't matter what game he brings my boy bout to handle him with the quickness.

Maybe those guys are not so much one dimensional as much as they are......just......old now.

Most fighters have one strength they rely on while they develop the rest. We just don't always get to see what they can do. If they were so one dimensional, then they should have been easy to beat. Which they weren't.

On the subject of Griffin/Sherk, I don't care who wins, but I think Tyson Griffin is one of the most over rated LW's out there. Lost to Frankie Edgar. Lost to Clay Guida IMO. Yet people talk about the kid like he's a serious contender.

hughes really borders on one dimensional. his stand up is abysmal.

chuck on the other hand can wrestle. but he chose to fight a certain way, (sprawl and brawl), and he's stuck by it. and done a damn fine job of it too, imean his skills for his style are polished. but dude is what 38? 39? not every fighter can be randy couture in terms of longevity. he's lost aleast a half step and i can actually see rashad putting him on his rear and keeping him there for a decision.

Rich Franklin:

"i believe i can beat any fighter in the world"

exccceeeeeppt? say it franklin, you can beat any fighter excceept?

Agreed on Hughes standup, but his Jits is not horrible. And only as he got older/slower did he start getting KO'd.

He's slapped a couple of subs in his day. So that's not really one dimensional.

Griffin I think is over rated because people talk about him as a legit contender, and I don't think he is. Guida did beat him. That "more active"stuff I don't buy.

Another Griffin gets way too much credit for being "active" (throwing punches in bunches that don't land) and I'm not having it. Everytime Iwatch Forrest/Tito, I am stunned that people actually think Forrest won. Round 2, Forrest threw a lot, did no real damage, and Tito countered effectively.Round 1 against Rampage people made the case that Forrest won, because he threw more punches that barely landed and did no damage.

I think there is too much weight put on being "active". It's one thing if one fighter is active and the other is doing nothing. But if both arein the fight, then the better fighter should win.

Edgar could also fight at 145. That was an even match up. And Tyson lost. IF he beats Sherk, I'd like to see him fight Gray Maynard. But are they sameteam?

IF ANYONE CARES
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]Former UFC star Ortiz signs with rival Affliction
August 23, 2008, 12:02 pm

It seems that former UFC light heavyweight champion, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Tito Ortiz, has finally signed with rival promotion Affliction in time for their next PPV event on October 11th.

Although no details have been released at this time about the size of the contract, the promotion must surely have talked Ortiz's terms down from the massive figures originally discussed.

Although just a rumour a few weeks back, this deal seems to have been finalised and according to mmapreview.com, an announcement is due in the next couple of days.

With no creditable victories in the past few years and seemingly being more interested in a celebrity lifestyle, UFC President Dana White will not be losing any sleep over Ortiz's decision to fight for a rival promotion.

By Michael Pepper.
Source: http://mmabay.co.uk/Story OrtizsignswithAffliction.htmlhttp://mmabay.co.uk/Story Ortizsignsw ... ction.html

Comment on this story »
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Babalu, Lil Nog, Arona, Tito Tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do it Affliction! Do it.

Sorry, but tournaments are god damn ******ed even when they're spread out over a couple of months.

Originally Posted by UFCkid

IF ANYONE CARES
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]Former UFC star Ortiz signs with rival Affliction
August 23, 2008, 12:02 pm

It seems that former UFC light heavyweight champion, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Tito Ortiz, has finally signed with rival promotion Affliction in time for their next PPV event on October 11th.

Although no details have been released at this time about the size of the contract, the promotion must surely have talked Ortiz's terms down from the massive figures originally discussed.

Although just a rumour a few weeks back, this deal seems to have been finalised and according to mmapreview.com, an announcement is due in the next couple of days.

With no creditable victories in the past few years and seemingly being more interested in a celebrity lifestyle, UFC President Dana White will not be losing any sleep over Ortiz's decision to fight for a rival promotion.

By Michael Pepper.
Source: http://mmabay.co.uk/Story OrtizsignswithAffliction.htmlhttp://mmabay.co.uk/Story Ortizsignswhttp://mmabay.co.uk/Story Ortizsignsw ... ction.html

Comment on this story »
[/td] [/tr][/table]

speaking of one dimensional fighters that the sport has passed by.

this wont hurt the ufc in the slightest.

tito is a 'b' fighter and he always has been, actually id say 'c'. thing is that back in the day today's 'c' fighter was enough toget the job done.

Agreed on Hughes standup, but his Jits is not horrible. And only as he got older/slower did he start getting KO'd.

He's slapped a couple of subs in his day. So that's not really one dimensional.

Griffin I think is over rated because people talk about him as a legit contender, and I don't think he is. Guida did beat him. That "more active" stuff I don't buy.

Another Griffin gets way too much credit for being "active" (throwing punches in bunches that don't land) and I'm not having it. Everytime I watch Forrest/Tito, I am stunned that people actually think Forrest won. Round 2, Forrest threw a lot, did no real damage, and Tito countered effectively. Round 1 against Rampage people made the case that Forrest won, because he threw more punches that barely landed and did no damage.

I think there is too much weight put on being "active". It's one thing if one fighter is active and the other is doing nothing. But if both are in the fight, then the better fighter should win.

Edgar could also fight at 145. That was an even match up. And Tyson lost. IF he beats Sherk, I'd like to see him fight Gray Maynard. But are they same team?

Yea I believe they are both down at Xtreme Couture. I give a fighter credit for being "active" if what he is doing is an attempt to finish thefight. If fighters are landing the same amount of punches but one fighter is throwing more, I give him more credit cause he is going for a ko. If the otherguys causes more damage and is more crisp with his striking and throws punches/kicks way less, then I fully agree that is better than just being"active" and he won the round. IF he wins, I think he should get Huerta or Edgar again and Gray should get the winner of Florian/Stevenson. Itwon't happen but I'd love to see him drop weight and fight Faber. That would be a great fight and you know Faber is itchin for the rematch.

Mauricio-Shogun-Rua.jpg

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua set for December return

Elite-level light-heavyweight Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (16-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will look to finally rebound from a disappointing Sept. 2007 UFC debut inDecember according to the Brazilian website Tatame.com.

Rua made a verbal agreement with the UFC to face ex-light-heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (28-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC). Rua and Jackson met in2005 under the PRIDE banner, with Rua earning a first-round knockout.

"I'll be back in December," Rua told Tatame.com. "[The UFC] said that I might fight with Quinton Jackson, but nothing has been signed yet.They called me and offered a fight with him and I accepted, but they didn't say anything else."

Rua is well-aware of Jackson's recent legal struggles, but feels confident Jackson will be available for the bout.

"[Jackson's troubles] surely can be a problem, but I want him back in December and against me," Rua said. "And I believe he can beback."

Rua has struggled through injuries that pre-dated his UFC 76 loss to light-heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin. The injuries forced Rua out of his UFC 85 boutwith Chuck Liddell.

Rua said he has recovered fully and is back to training.

"I'm back to training," Rua said. "I'm doing some Muay Thai and jiu-jitsu stuff, and thank God everything is fine now."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5131/mauricio-shogun-rua-set-for-december-return.mmahttp://mmajunkie.com/news/5131/mauricio ... return.mma

grin.gif

How ign.com projects the player ratings in the UFC 2009 game.

Still think 80 fighters is too many. 50 would suffice.

Lightweights

1. BJ Penn (97)
-- Penn dominated Sean Sherk and, since his victory over Jens Pulver, has looked like the scariest fighter on the planet. He'll move up in weight soon to fight Georges St.Pierre in what could be the rematch of the year.

2. Kenny Florian (89) -- All Florian seems to do is win; he's 8-2 in the UFC with a five-fight win streak, looking impressive in each victory. He's next in line for a title shot, but Penn has to be around to fight.

3. Joe Stevenson (87) -- Stevenson was dominated by Penn, but was impressive in tapping out Gleison Tibau.

4. Sean Sherk (85) -- The Muscle Shark will need to beat Tyson Griffin -- and pass his drug test -- to make the steroid chants go away.

5. Frankie Edgar (84) -- Edgar's somewhat bizarre loss to Gray Maynard is really the only thing keeping him out of the title picture; beating Hermes Franca has him back on track.

6. Gray Maynard (83) -- Maynard's got the elite wrestling, the training partners, and the record (5-0 with 1 NC) to make him a must-have in the game. All he's gotta do now is fight more.

7. Nate Diaz (82) -- Diaz is on a four-fight win streak and always manages to find a way to win.

8. Tyson Griffin (81) -- Griffin had the first boring fight of his life at UFC 86; we're his biggest fans, but Griffin needs to redeem himself against Sherk to take a step forward.

9. Roger Huerta (81) -- Huerta disappointed against Florian, and detractors are now beginning to pick holes in the competition level of his previously perfect record.

10. Clay Guida (80) -- Guida faces the next man on this list at Ultimate Fight Night 15 in September; if Guida loses, for all his talent and excitement, he could find himself out of the UFC.

11. Mac Danzig (79) -- The former Ultimate Fighter champ has a longer leash than most, but he's going to have to continue to develop his standup before he can go much higher than a 79.

12. Spencer Fisher (76) -- The gatekeeper of the Lightweight division, Fisher is inconsistent but, really, could beat almost anyone on this list on the right day. That's how stacked the division is.

13. Melvin Guillard (73) -- Guillard's the Shelton Benjamin of UFC in both look and style -- flashy, but inconsistent. Guillard's a great athlete, but not a great fighter.

14. Matt Wiman (70) -- Wiman's miraculous submission win over Thiago Tavares was among the best fights of the year, but very few people saw it.

15. Joe Lauzon (69) -- The former network admin needs a reboot, but he's too talented to disappear.

16. Rob Emerson (63) -- His KO of Manny Gamburyan might earn him a spot.

Welterweight

1. Georges St. Pierre (98) -- Is there anyone St. Pierre wouldn't beat nine times out of ten at this point? He's taken what was previously the deepest division in the company and annihilated it.

2. Diego Sanchez (87) -- OK, so it won't be popular to list Sanchez here, but the guy's 19-2 and has never been in danger in his entire career. There are a lot of guys at this level, but Sanchez has the fewest number of flaws on his record.

3. Jon Fitch (87) -- Tough, but it's easy to imagine Fitch turning into David Loiseau; he knows the best guy in his division is out of his league, and that makes it difficult to train.

4. Thiago Alves (86) -- No, we're not impressed by beating up a past-his-prime Matt Hughes when you outweigh him by 15 pounds the day of the fight, sorry.

5. Josh Koscheck (85) -- Why Sanchez over Koscheck? Well, although Koscheck beat Sanchez most recently, "The Nightmare" had an absurd staph infection and when they fought the first time, Sanchez turned Koscheck's head purple.

6. Matt Serra (83) -- The second half of Serra's career may end up mirroring Ken Shamrock's, minus the WWF stint. Just you watch.

7. Matt Hughes (82) -- At this point, Hughes is smart enough to keep himself out of dumb areas, but he's lost a step and is too busy with his new gym to train at the level he likely needs to. He's got one fight left in him.

8. Mike Swick (80) -- Remember when Mike Swick was one of the most exciting, dynamic fighters in the UFC?

9. Dustin Hazelett (78) -- Although it didn't make TV, Hazelett's submission win over Josh Burkman established him as a force to be reckoned with. Hazelett could very well be Jon Fitch 2.0.

10. Karo Parisyian (76) -- Karo's fun to watch, but when was the last time he showed up in fighting shape?

11. Marcus Davis (75) -- If this were Mortal Kombat, Davis would be Jax.

12. Ryo Chonan (73) -- He'll always have the flying heel hook over Anderson Silva.

13. Josh Burkman (71) -- On a two-fight losing streak, but at least the second fight was exciting.

14. Chris Lytle (68) -- Lytle's 4-7 in the UFC, but his losses are to Robbie Lawler, Karo Parisyian, Joe Riggs, Matt Serra, Matt Hughes, Thiago Alves, and Josh Koscheck. He's not a punching bag.

15. Luke Cummo (65) -- Gotta get the unibrow in the game.

16. Jonathan Goulet (63) -- If only so his hair is in Create-A-Fighter

Middleweights

1. Anderson Silva (99) -- Silva's dominant victory over James Irvin only furthers our respect for him. We fear for Patrick Cote's safety.

2. Dan Henderson (91) -- He hasn't shown it as a UFC fighter, but there's still a elite fighter there. At least, we hope.

3. Rich Franklin (87) -- Franklin will move out of this weight class and into 205 shortly, but he went down to 185 for a reason. We're not hopeful.

4. Yushin Okami (87) -- One questionable loss to Franklin is the only thing that blots his resume.

5. Michael Bisping (85) -- Bisping-Leben will main event another UK pay-per-view, but that doesn't mean he's a great fighter.

6. Patrick Cote (84) -- Good luck.

7. Martin Kampmann (83) -- One of the UFC's best-kept secrets, Kampmann's had injuries prevent him from getting a title shot. Hopefully there's no injuries in UFC 2009 Undisputed.

8. Dean Lister (81) -- The jiu-jitsu legend is another injury casualty, but he made Jeremy Horn look like a rookie in Vegas.

9. Nate Quarry (79) -- Hey, he made Calib Starnes run away into retirement. That's good enough for us.

10. Demain Maia (78) -- Everyone tells us Maia has awesome jiu-jitsu. He's also only beat Ed Herman, Ryan Jensen, and Jason McDonald on the ground. Beat Kampmann and your rating goes up.

11. Nate Marquardt (77) -- Nate the Great got worked on a decision, but veterans don't lose points like they're on Weight Watchers.

12. Thales Leites (74) -- Didn't deserve the win, but he'll take it.

13. Amir Sadollah (71) -- He keeps winning, which means he'll be showing up in the game.

14. Chris Leben (69) -- Leben's going to be in the game, regardless of whether his talent merits it or not.

15. Ed Herman (67) -- As will Herman. Note to all fighters: If you're relatively untalented and are a red-haired guy on Ultimate Fighter, be a jerk. It'll take you places.

16. Kendall Grove (65) -- He's a shell of the guy who used to be a future superstar under Tito Ortiz's wing.

Light Heavyweights

1. Forrest Griffin (96)
-- We're shocked, too, but he did it. The likely cover boy for the game won't have a rating too far below this.

2. Quinton Jackson (95) -- Who knows at this point? We love Rampage, but he's gotta straighten his life out before he can fight again.

3.Chuck Liddell (93) -- If he loses to Rashad Evans in September, he could choose to hang them up; if he wins, he gets a title shot. Think he'll train hard?

4. Wanderlei Silva (91) -- We would love for him to make fight with virtually anyone on the roster, but his PRIDE history gets him this high, not his UFC credentials.

5. Lyoto Machida (90) -- The man doesn't lose. Who's willing to fight him?

6. Rashad Evans (89) --The most disrespected undefeated fighter on the planet. He deserved a victory over Tito Ortiz, and you've never seen him in trouble in a UFC fight despite fighting heavyweights. Dude is tough.

7. Keith Jardine (87) -- Is he the dominant fighter we saw against Liddell and Forrest, or the scared one who was destroyed by Silva and knocked into next week by Houston Alexander?

8. Thiago Silva (83) -- Undefeated, but against weak competition. If he beats Lyoto, we'll talk.

9. Brandon Vera (81) -- Everyone was so psyched to see him at 205…and then he actually fought.

10. Mauricio Rua (80) -- We know he's better than an 80, but Shogun's fought once in 18 months and he was destroyed. He's gotta fight to get a better rating.

11. Matt Hamill (78) -- If he got the victory against Bisping he deserved, he'd be 5-0 right now in the UFC. His striking is still amateur hour, but he can take down anyone.

12. James Irvin (76) -- No shame in losing to Anderson Silva, although the painkillers he took beforehand won't earn him any points.

13. Sokoudjou (74) -- His reputation is built on a house of cards that have quick knockouts on them. As we saw with Mike Swick, that doesn't mean you're an elite fighter, just one with good power.

14. Houston Alexander (69) -- UFC's answer to Bald Bull.

15. Jason Lambert (63) -- You'll need to beat up on somebody in the game.

16. Tim Boetsch (61) -- This is a roster slot you fill with a guy who looks like someone more famous but isn't included with the game, so that it's easy to use create-a-fighter to make a similar guy. If only the UFC had a big black guy with a huge beard…

Heavyweights

Note that we're not including Randy Couture since we're not expecting him to appear.

1. Antonio Nogueira (91) -- Here's a question: What happens if Heath Herring actually follows up on his knockdown of Nogueira and the ref actually stops it? Does that mean that Brock Lesnar is the best heavyweight on Earth? Of course not ,but the difference between winning and losing is smaller than a lot of people think.

2. Frank Mir (86) --If Mir had lost to Lesnar, he may have retired. Now he gets a title shot.

3. Fabricio Werdum (84) -- He's won two in a row, but his losses to Arlovski and Nogueira (in 2006) were agonizingly boring.

4. Cain Velasquez (83) -- The UFC's future star already has championship hype; people are already turning down fights with him.

5. Gabriel Gonzaga (81) -- Will have to go on a winning streak to get another title shot.

6. Brock Lesnar (80) -- Lesnar's power made Heath Herring do a backwards roll, but it was his wrestling that kept him out of danger for the entire fight. If Lesnar's upside is a more powerful Josh Koscheck, well, that might be good enough to make him champion.

7. Cheick Kongo (77) -- His standup is excellent, but take him down and he's an open book.

8. Shane Carwin (75) -- It speaks to the lack of depth in the heavyweight division that a 1-0 fighter is in the top ten.

9. Heath Herring (73) -- Didn't look good at all against Lesnar, which may signal the end of his career.

10. Jake O'Brien (70) -- Injuries and bizarre career choices have made O'Brien a non-entity.

11. Antoni Hardonk (68) -- He's fought forever and never really improved.

12. Eddie Sanchez (67) -- Beats mediocre fighters and loses to good ones. There's a million guys like this; Sanchez was just in the right spot at the right time.

13. Justin McCully (65) -- Has been around forever, but done little.

14. Christian Wellisch (62) -- When we get UFC 2009 Undisputed, we'll play with BJ Penn and have him tap out Wellisch time after time just to amuse ourselves.

15. Mark Coleman (60) -- Not even a current UFC fighter, but expected to return later this year and potentially have the fight with Lesnar the UFC planned on putting together.

16. Dan Severn (56) -- Who would you rather have; Severn or Neil Wain? Dan Evensen? That's what we thought.

[table][tr][td]
Shamrock Gets Next Shot at 'Slice'

[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
thumbnail_crop.php

Monday, August 25, 2008
by Loretta Hunt ([email protected])

Ken Shamrock (Pictures) will be the fourth man to face Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (Pictures) when the two icons clash at EliteXC's third installment of "Saturday Night Fights" Oct. 4 at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. The headlining bout will anchor a live broadcast on CBS.

Sherdog.com confirmed the bout's signing with multiple parties aware of the fight, while a press release is expected to circulate later today with the news.

The 44-year-old Shamrock (26-13-2) beat out fellow candidates Sean Gannon and Brett Rogers (Pictures), who called out Slice in May, for the coveted slot.

Shamrock, a 15-year veteran of the game who made his storied Octagon debut at UFC 1 in November 1993, has dropped his last five bouts in a row since 2005, including a lackluster showing against brawler Robert Berry (Pictures) at Cage Rage 25 last March.

However, "The World's Most Dangerous Man" exudes substantial selling power for a match now only five and a half weeks away. A strong personality in and out of the cage, Shamrock's 15 appearances in the UFC earned him international recognition alongside his original nemesis Royce Gracie (Pictures).

Slice (3-0) earned a third-round victory against Brit James Thompson (Pictures) in his last foray for EliteXC in May. The bout was much criticized for its questionable officiating, placing Ferguson's skill set in doubt after Thompson held the advantage for sizable stretches of the 11-minute contest. Ferguson holds previous wins over David "Tank" Abbott (Pictures) and Bo Cantrell (Pictures).
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

[/td] [/tr][/table]I'm all for building up Kimbo and making EliteXC money, but I don't agree with it being at Shamrock's expense
ohwell.gif

I am honestly disgusted with the announcement of Kimbo VS Shamrock. Shamrock has always been one of my favorites but guy has to turn in the gloves he is done.Now EliteXC wants to make Kimbo their man so they give him a 45 year old Ken? Come on give him some fighter entering his prime.

beat me to the post.

anyways shamrock better !@#$+$ win.. i hate kimbo as a fighter.. i hate elitexc for giving kimbo easy access victries to keep their fanbase high..

kimbo is just a tool for elitexc to reel in fans so there is no way that they will allow kimbo to lose a fight...

thats the reason why he isnt facing brett rodgers.

Orange County DA's Office has formally charged Rampage with Two Felonies, and Four Misdemeanors following his.. eerrr..Rampage in the OC. If convicted, he faces up to Three years in Prison. Ouch!

This is being reported by http://www.tmz.com/http://www.tmz.com ...a surprisingly credible source

(Posted Edited by: Duncan

The Orange County District Attorney has charged Rampage with one felony count of evading while driving recklessly, one felony count of evading a peace officer, three misdemeanor counts of hit and run, and one misdemeanor reckless driving. You'll recall Rampage was driving a monster truck with a huge image of himself plastered on the side (always a bad move when you're evading police) when he allegedly struck two cars on a freeway, hit another car on a surface street and sent pedestrians scurrying for their lives.

If convicted he'll face three years in prison.

Now, shock of shocks. He was NOT charged with DUI. And, a few days after the incident, a pregnant woman in the car he hit on the freeway lost her baby, but Rampage was not charged for that after an investigation revealed that the miscarriage was unrelated to the accident.)

theres a chance we wont see a shogun or wandy showdown vs rampage
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Tommy Wong

sucks for rampage, good luck to him
when is the last time ken fought? seems like forever
Feb. against Robert Berry. He lost. I think Kimbo is gonna kill him. He's that bad right now.

Damn Quinton

smh.gif

you !+$@*% up bad.

on a lighter note

GSP rated 98
pimp.gif

About 2 or 3 yrs ago dudes was callin me a fool for sayin GSP is THAT DUDE, how ya'll like me now

Originally Posted by Jesum Piece

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Babalu, Lil Nog, Arona, Tito Tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do it Affliction! Do it.

Sorry, but tournaments are god damn ******ed even when they're spread out over a couple of months.

Why do you say that? I just wanted these four guys to fight.

affliction is basically a big tournament for right now. all theyre doing is flip flopping all the heavies they had fight last ppv. its gonna be that way tillthey fill up theyre roster.

Back
Top Bottom