Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

He should be given 2 wins for beating Gomi while stoned.
dude, if you smoke as much as Nick smokes (or like most dudes from Norcal) bud actually starts to help you. in the weirdest ways. grapplingafter a blunt is a win for me
pimp.gif

btw Gomi > Nick

Gina getting another cakewalk fight is BS, but then again, it is a business and I'm pretty sure EliteXC doesn't want to kill the golden goose. As badas Cyborg is she is not anywhere near as marketable as Carano.

Anyone going to chime in on the WEC card this past weekend? Faber looking like a beast again. They need to work something out with Dream to have Kid come over1 fight in the WEC against Faber. Would Zuffa move Condit to the UFC since he has no one left to fight?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Not sure if this was posted, but Rampage might be going away for a while. Apparently the woman that he hit lost her baby (she was pregnant at the time), who was healthy before the accident.
smh.gif

So far its been a lie on sherdog forums...Haven't seen it on any MMA news website.

Originally Posted by shinobi916

dude, if you smoke as much as Nick smokes (or like most dudes from Norcal) bud actually starts to help you. in the weirdest ways. grappling after a blunt is a win for me
pimp.gif

btw Gomi > Nick

First, I'm from NorCal, and I know what you mean about the excessive weed smoke. I've
smokin.gif
a lot of times myself, and I could see how it may help your grappling as ithelps to be calm, but smoking before stand up can only be detrimental in a time when you need to have quick reactions. And there was a lot of standup in thatfight.
Secondly, Gomi is clearly not > Nick. You may like him better, but he is not better.

hai guizes, dis a kimbo thrad?

Team ******
yup.

some more red tape bs with couture situation.

that couture/fedor fight needs to get inked.

Depending upon whom you ask, Randy Couture resigned or retired from the Ultimate Fighting Championship on October 11, 2007. Since that time, he has been embroiled in a legal battle with the Zuffa owned promotion.

With billionaire Mark Cuban's company HDNet being one of the main suitors for Couture's services when and if he is ever clear of his legal entanglements with the UFC, both HDNet and Couture were handed a clear blow to their legal efforts in the Texas Court of Appeals on Friday.

HDNet has pursued a declaration stating the finality of Couture's fight contract with Zuffa and when he would be free to fight for another organization. Its efforts were denied on Friday, however, when the Texas Court of Appeals found that the lower court that was acting on the HDNet litigation had engaged in "a clear abuse of discretion" by permitting it, according to a statement released by Zuffa.

The Texas Court of Appeals granted Zuffa's Motion to Compel Randy Couture to arbitrate in the District of Nevada, staying all further action by HDNet against Zuffa in the state of Texas.

"The practical effect of the Court's decision is to allow Zuffa to continue its prosecution of claims against Mr. Couture in the Arbitration presently underway here in Nevada without any regard to the flaccid claims of HDNet and its management," explained Zuffa's Las Vegas counsel, Donald J. Campbell, Esq. "Based upon evidence uncovered during the interrogation of Mr. Couture during his deposition, we have every confidence that Mr. Couture will be held accountable for the serious and ongoing breaches of his contractual obligations to Zuffa."

The arbitration process is currently in the "exploratory" phase of depositions, meaning there are more depositions to come before the actual arbitration begins, possibly within the next month or so.

The arbitration, which is taking place in Nevada, should determine the outcome of Couture's fight contract with Zuffa and whether or not he will be held to it or if he will be free to go elsewhere.

The arbitration is administered by the American Arbitration Association, wherein the arbitrators were mutually agreed upon by Zuffa and Couture's lawyers.

^ Couture should just fulfill hiscontract by competing in the UFC for two more fights. i know Dana wont let him go for free

Full fightcard for this Saturday. I'm hyped and ready to go...

MAIN CARD

Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch (for welterweight title)
Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring
Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta
Rob Emerson vs. Manny Gamburyan
Jason MacDonald vs. Demian Maia

PRELIMINARY CARD

Luke Cummo vs. Tamdan McCrory
Dan Evensen vs. Cheick Kongo
Jon Jones vs. Andre Gusmao
Steve Bruno vs. Chris Wilson
Ben Saunders vs. Ryan Thomas

MAIN CARD

only fights im interested in

MAIN CARD

PRELIMINARY CARD

In all honesty I hope Huerta and Fitch win, but I think they'll both lose.

MAIN CARD

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch (for welterweight title)

PRELIMINARY CARD

Tuesday, August 05, 2008
by Andy Cotterill ([email protected])

It appears that a feeding frenzy has begun to circle around 20-year-old wunderkind Chris Horodecki (Pictures) now that he has officially become a free agent.

Jeff Clark (Pictures), one half of Horodecki's North County Fight Club management team, says his client was released from his International Fight League contract last week at the fighter's request, clearing a path for prospective promoters to voice their interest in the young striker.

Among the suitors for the baby-faced Horodecki (12-1) -- who piled up seven victories in the promotion before meeting a brick wall named Ryan Shultz in their rematch at the World Grand Prix finals in December 2007 -- the WEC, Affliction and the Kentucky-based American Fight League have all thrown proverbial hats in the ring.

"The AFL has come in with a very generous offer," says Clark, "but Affliction has said they will match it or beat it."

According to Clark, Affliction would like to book Horodecki in a lightweight bout for its Oct. 11 sophomore event at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, while the AFL's next event will likely take place in November. An opponent has not been discussed for either event.

Horodecki's release from the team-based IFL further dispels industry talk that the floundering promotion's assets might be purchased by Zuffa LLC, owners of the UFC. Launched in 2006 with four teams that later expanded into 12 squads, the IFL held its last event on May 16 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., before publicly declaring financial difficulties. With no aid in sight and rumors of a sale to either Pro Elite or the UFC looming, the promotion disbanded its New York headquarters in July.

Horodecki, along with IFL champions Vladimir Matyushenko (Pictures), Jay Hieron (Pictures) and Schultz, was seen as a viable acquisition perk if his contract could have been transferred over to a new owner. However, that doesn't look to be an option anymore.

Sherdog.com reported Monday that Matyushenko will likely have a rematch with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures) at Affliction 2 on Oct. 11, while Schultz has been pegged to participate in Sengoku's lightweight grand prix on Aug. 24 in Saitama, Japan.

A native of London, Ontario, Horodecki also eyed Japan for opportunities. NCFC management was contacted in June regarding a potential bout against former Pride lightweight champion and fellow slugger Takanori Gomi (Pictures) in Sengoku, though the matchup has yet to emerge.

"We liked that fight for him [Horodecki]," says Clark. "We're continuing our discussions with World Victory Road."

He's a actually an Extreme Couture trainer here in Toronto which is right by my place. Too bad I dont have the funds right now
frown.gif

Tuesday, August 05, 2008
by Tomas Rios

With incumbent UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn (Pictures) already champing at the bit to reclaim his aspirations of multidivision domination, the task falls to the winner of Saturday's UFC 87 dustup between Roger "El Matador" Huerta (Pictures) and Kenny Florian (Pictures) to provide the challenge that Penn so eagerly seeks.

Regardless of the long-term repercussions of the bout, however, fans get to see two of the division's most exciting up-and-comers match wits and fists in a bout that has "Fight of the Night" written all over it. While the excitement factor is obvious, figuring out who has the edge is like trying to speed read James Joyce.

Roger Huerta (Pictures) Scouting Report

Ht/Wt: 5'9/155 lbs.
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.
Fighting out of: Minneapolis, Minn.
MMA Record: 20-1-1, 1 NC

Did You Know? Huerta's MMA mentor is actually former UFC middleweight champion Dave Menne (Pictures), who became Huerta's trainer after "El Matador" found himself unfulfilled by the grind of the collegiate wrestling season at Augsburg College.

Bio: Mirroring the hard-knock upbringing of your average boxer or hip-hop impresario, Huerta was left without a home, family and money for most of his formative years. But that relentless struggle kindled an unnatural tenacity in the native Californian that is apparent anytime he enters the cage.

Known for maintaining a relentless pace, Huerta has a knack for creating offense from virtually any position -- a skill best highlighted by his jumbo-tron-aided elbows against jiu-jitsu wunderkind Alberto Crane (Pictures).

Now coming off an epic comeback win against the always rugged Clay Guida (Pictures), Huerta shoulders the burden of burgeoning stardom with seeming ease after spending years dealing with circumstances that would wither the wills of most.

On his opponent: Huerta has been keeping a training blog on UFC.com. "Let's just hope Kenny is training as hard as I have," he said of Florian. "I'm taking this fight very, very seriously and I respect him as a fighter and an opponent, but he's in my way right now."

Why he'll win: Huerta has the kind of all-out style that can disrupt the measured, cerebral approach that has become synonymous with Florian. We've seen in his bouts with Crane, Guida and Doug Evans (Pictures) that Huerta can handle adversity on the ground long enough to find a way to win. Don't discount Huerta's rangy and versatile striking either, which can turnaround any fight in the time it takes Ron Artest to blow a fuse.

Why he'll lose: You have to wonder how much longer Huerta can get away with losing points on the ground and rallying late to pull wins out of nowhere. If Florian's wrestling proves strong enough to control Huerta on the ground, we could see the luck of "El Matador" run out in a hurry.

Kenny Florian (Pictures) Scouting Report

Ht/Wt: 5'10/155 lbs.
Hometown: Westwood, Mass.
Fighting out of: Boston, Mass.
MMA Record: 9-3

Did You Know? Florian is an alumnus of Boston College who was working for a Harvard-based translation services company before switching to MMA. The sheepskin still comes in handy, however, as Florian has co-hosted multiple UFC events and was chosen by ESPN as a commentator for "MMA Live."

Bio: One of the most successful products of "The Ultimate Fighter," Florian competed on the show as a middleweight and managed to reach the final round before losing to Diego Sanchez (Pictures).

It was that loss that convinced Florian to move down to his customary weight of 155 pounds, where he refocused his training regime under the tutelage of Boston-based MMA guru Mark DellaGrotte. Despite a loss to Sean Sherk (Pictures) in a UFC title bout that perhaps came a bit too early for a still-developing Florian, the results have been tremendous as "KenFlo" has been flashing much-improved muay Thai and wrestling to complement his already highly regarded jiu-jitsu game.

In fact, Florian has reeled off four straight stoppage wins since that October 2006 loss to Sherk with the most recent being a ground-and-pound dismantling of fellow Bostonian Joe Lauzon (Pictures). Already on the verge of another title shot, getting bullish on "El Matador" would all but guarantee Florian a second chance at UFC gold.

On his opponent: Like Huerta, Florian is a contributor to UFC.com. "There's no playing around, you've got to take him out, especially a guy like Roger," Florian said recently, "because the longer you keep him in there, the more of a threat he is, and we saw that against Clay Guida (Pictures)."

Why he'll win: Huerta has gotten himself into plenty of hairy situations on the canvas because of his almost reckless aggression, and Florian has the patience and skill to exploit that approach. A decorated grappler with the positioning and ground striking to match, Florian could prove to be Huerta's kryptonite if he can consistently gain the top position.

Why he'll lose: Florian has been flashing some excellent muay Thai of late, but he lacks knockout power. If he gets a bit too daring on the feet, Huerta has the gusto and artillery to rock Florian and capitalize. Indeed, while many have questioned Florian's ability to decisively finish bouts, Huerta has the killer instinct of Jason Voorhees.

* * *​

The Bottom Line: While you can never count out the tried and true Mexican fighting spirit of Huerta, Florian is just too technical and cerebral a fighter to make the same kind of foolish mistake that cost Guida so dearly against Huerta.

Expect three rounds of rollicking action, but Florian will control most of it. His improved wrestling consistently lands Huerta on his back, where "El Matador" will struggle to stymie the jiu-jitsu of "KenFlo." The scorecards will tell the story, as Florian notches a unanimous decision in his favor.

Cant wait
pimp.gif

I'm not too big a fan of the smaller fighters but I'm rooting for KenFlo.. Roger has been talkin' reckless in the past weeks.

I said this in another forum. I don't see any LW who can %$*! with BJ in the UFC.

Kenny could maybe cut him and win. I don't recall BJ cuttig too easy. That fool probably has body armor for skin.

Skillwise, I think Frankie Edgar is the best match. He's beaten Tyson and Guida. So he can wrestle with great wrestlers. And his standup is the best in theUFC LW division other than BJ. He just may be too small. His one loss came from being manhandled by Gray Maynard. Otherwise he might be getting the next titleshot.

Maybe Frankie fights loser of Florian/Huerta.

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

dude, if you smoke as much as Nick smokes (or like most dudes from Norcal) bud actually starts to help you. in the weirdest ways. grappling after a blunt is a win for me
pimp.gif

btw Gomi > Nick

First, I'm from NorCal, and I know what you mean about the excessive weed smoke. I've
smokin.gif
a lot of times myself, and I could see how it may help your grappling as it helps to be calm, but smoking before stand up can only be detrimental in a time when you need to have quick reactions. And there was a lot of standup in that fight.
Secondly, Gomi is clearly not > Nick. You may like him better, but he is not better.

Just out of curiosity, what leads you to believe that Gomi is "clearly" not better than Nick? I'm not sure how you could come to thatdetermination. I know Nick beat him. But I'm still not sure I would make such a claim and I'm certainly not sure how "clear" that is.

I forgot the most interesting article of the day:
[table][tr][td] Tuesday, August 05, 2008
by Jason Probst ([email protected])

Talk of a potential migration of the WEC's 205- and 185-pound divisions to the UFC could be more than just rumors, and the answer might play out in the coming months.

For months, rumors have been circulating -- and, occasionally reported in MMA media outlets -- that the WEC may disband those two divisions and send some of the top fighters competing there to the UFC.

Reed Harris, WEC president, declined to confirm or deny the status of a potential reshuffling of the rosters when contacted Monday by Sherdog.com. Harris did confirm that the concept has been acknowledged as a possibility by UFC president Dana White, and matchmakers Joe Silva and Scott Adams of the UFC and WEC, respectively.

"We have had some discussions about our weight divisions, but nothing has been set or finalized," Harris said. "We've heard the same rumors. We've had those discussions since day one. About what weight classes (might be involved), I really have no official statement. I know people are talking about it. I've had reporters call me and ask the same questions for eight months about it."

Indications, both informal and on the record, have been enough to draw attention to hardcore industry watchers. At a UFC 83 Q&A session with fans in April, White addressed the question.

"We're going to make the WEC the smaller weights and the UFC will be the heavier weights," White told The Canadian Press. "We'll probably take some of the guys in the higher weights, the champions over there and bring them into UFC. We're still trying to figure that out."

Possibly foreshadowing the imminent shift, the WEC's Sept. 3 show will headline featherweight champ Urijah Faber (Pictures) in his sixth title defense against Mike Brown, while 185-pound boss Paulo Filho (Pictures) rematches Team Quest's Chael Sonnen (Pictures) to put to rest a controversial March meeting in the co-main event that night.

For the WEC, the move could make sense. While the 135-, 145- and 155-pound divisions have viable depth in their ranks, outside of Filho and Sonnen, the middleweights lack a top 10 fighter, as does the light heavyweight division.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]�[/td] [/tr][tr][td] http://ds.serving-sys.com/BurstingR...gEbBanners[0].displayUnit_ebRichFlash_1014511http://ds.serving-sys.com/BurstingR...gEbBanners[0].displayUnit_ebRichFlash_1014511[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

pimp.gif

btw Gomi > Nick

smokin.gif
a lot of times myself, and I could see how it may help your grappling as it helps to be calm, but smoking before stand up can only be detrimental in a time when you need to have quick reactions. And there was a lot of standup in that fight.
Just out of curiosity, what leads you to believe that Gomi is "clearly" not better than Nick? I'm not sure how you could come to that determination. I know Nick beat him. But I'm still not sure I would make such a claim and I'm certainly not sure how "clear" that is.

Perhaps I was a bit overzealous in using that adverb. I just meant "clearly" in the terms of how you put it. Nick beat Gomi in a fight, and itwas a clear outcome. The fight was finished in the second round, and not due to some lucky punch or fluke a la Pete Sell vs. Scott Smith.

Breaking News: Tito Ortiz Signs With Affliction By Matthew Brothers | August 06, 2008

It's been speculated for weeks, now it's official. Tito Ortiz has agreed to sign a "ground-breaking record contract" with Affliction. Although nothing has been signed yet, Affliction will be holding a press conference today and the signing may be announced. The news was reported by Tito Ortiz to "Sports Illustrated". His first fight will be against another former UFC employee, Renato "Babalu" Sobral. The bout is scheduled to take place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas on October 11th.
Ortiz, 33, has had a long running feud with his former employer the UFC, namely company president Dana White, Ortiz's former manager. He claims he has been mistreated and undervalued by the UFC, the company where he has fought 21 of his 22 professional fights in a career that dates back to 1997.

Ortiz has long been regarded as one of the best fighters in the world at 205lbs., and although he's gone 0-2-1 in his last three fights, Ortiz feels he has a lot left to give the sport of MMA. In addition to the fight with "Babalu", Ortiz would also like to have a rematch with Frank Shamrock, and hasn't ruled out a jump to heavyweight, where he'll have the most talented pool of big men to compete against.

Ortiz had this to say to SI.com: "I'm going to a company that's going to take care of me, a company that's going to respect me, a company that's going to put me in the forefront and make me the ambassador that I've always been. I think Mr. Trump respects me at that value to get it. My heart's not with the UFC anymore because of how bad they treated me. They don't respect me and they don't see me as a businessman. All they think is that I'm a punk fighter that's going to fold, and I've already proven that I'm not going to fold to anything by not resigning with them."

Ortiz's signing marks one of many former UFC Champions that have now signed with Affliction. EliteXC and the Kentucky-based AFL had also offered Ortiz deals, but in the end, it was Ortiz's friendship with "The Donald" that brought him to Affliction.

Stay tuned to Fightline.com for updates on the Affliction press conference, Tito Ortiz, and for all the latest news from the world of MMA.
http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/86/tito_ortiz_336032.shtml

Frank vs. Tito will be better than Tito vs. Ken. Frank needs to put his fist where his mouth is and come see Spider.

Back
Top Bottom