**Official Lupe Fiasco Thread** (LASERS March 8, 2011 // Friend of The People Coming Soon)

Originally Posted by MASERATI HARM

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

BTW I think purchasing his other 2 albums on the 8th is a great idea.

SMH @ those blaming Lupe when they wouldn't have done any differently. Fact is there is not much dude could have done in his situation if you are being realistic.

@#!%% Please ..

How about Not sign with a Major and then you wouldn't have to complain and $#$%* about getting Jerked?

Or better yet ... NOT drop the album?

Force $!!%$# hands

At the end of the day this +@!* IS on him ..

He had a chance to gain full control of  how he wanted his album to sound ..

Yet, this @#!%% dropped the ball ..

All the Protesting was a waste cuz he totally alienated his fans with this +@!*

And 
laugh.gif
 @ ya'll wanting to him to drop a mixtape to make up for this ..

Good Luck with that ..
Sigh you're just posting a whole bunch of ignorant statements. SMH

Dude had been signed with a major for his first two albums so we all knew that and he knew that. Obviously when he signed the deal he never thought it would come this.  I am sure if he had a crystal ball and could look into the future he wouldn't so your point about not signing with a major is quite absurd.

NOT drop the album?! Really when your an artist and your still forced to record albums that your under contract you don't have much of a choice.  Lupe doesn't like the situation but at the end of the day he knows just putting out what they want will be the sooner he gets out of his contract. It is what it is...not much you can do when your under contract.  In order to get out of a contract you have to fulfill it unless you can get out of it early and that it is not easy at all. Clearly you don't understand how this works hence your posts but this happens to a lot of good artists.  Once Lupe rejected the 360 deal you knew Atlantic wasn't going to let him go easy so not dropping the album was NEVER a realistic option.

But apparently in your fantasy land Lupe had a chance to gain full control of his album.  SMH at being uniformed and posting. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I just  don't understand why all the songs had to sound the same with the poor production and throwing somebody on the hook? Literally copying commercial/mainstream rappers style in a completely transparent way would've been better than this.

There would be a different reaction if the album was like this:

01. Letting Go Ft. Sarah Green (Produced By The Future) 4:26
02. Words I Never Said Ft. Skylar Grey (Produced By Alex Da Kid) 4:17
03. Anthem song about the trap & how many times you moved white Ft. Jeezy, Gucci, Rick Ross & Any other drug rapper (Prod. By Cool & Dre)*1st single*
04. I Don't Care About This Album Right Now (The Weed Song) Ft. Curren$y, Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg, Devin The Dude &  (Produced By J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League)
05. Bang Bang Shoot em Up, Die N_ Die! (The N.W.A. influenced song) (Prod. By Dr. Dre circa 1990)
06. The Diss song Ft. Curtis Jackson (Prod. By The Hitmen; Sean C & LV)
07. The southern sounding song w/ dance (Prod. By Soulja Boy Tell Em) *2nd Single*
08. The Simp song a.k.a. some Fabolous sounding song Ft. Drake & Lil Mo or w/e female is doing these features nowadays Keri Hilson? (Prod. By The Runners)
09. The Kufi Song Ft. Mos Def, Nas, Jay Electronica, Common, Little Brother & Talib Kweli (Prod. By Hi-Tek, 9th Wonder, and any other backpack producers that want to contribute)
10. The auto tune song that sound like it should've been on 808s (Prod. By Kanye Written by Cudi or some other emo cat)
11. All Black Everything (Produced By Wizzo Buchanan) 3:40
12. The Lupe song that sounds like Lupe (Prod. By Soundtrakk)
Bonus
13. I'm Beaming (Remix) Ft. Lil B (Produced By The Neptunes)

I'd be proud in the fact he was forced in a situation, mailed it in by giving Atlantic the middle finger. They wouldn't be able to tell, just be happy that the songs sound like other selling/popular rappers. Probably would go gold too.

People would still say it's garbage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's saying if Lupe was gonna put out this trash %!% pop album he was forced to make he should have made an album like the one above and said "Here Atlantic, ain't this the *++% you want?" In which I agree but I have now been convinced Lupe ain't bout that protest life. He want to climb mountains and watch anime.

If you are judging the album for what it is, its a decent album. If you are judging the album against his first two, its horrible.

Giving the album another listen and this stood out to me:

a line from "I don't wanna care right now":
"and the flow tight, skinny jeans skinny jeans, since you like pacquiao philippines philippines"
what is this, i dont even...

SMH @ those blaming Lupe when they wouldn't have done any differently. Fact is there is not much dude could have done in his situation if you are being realistic.

@#!%% Please ..

How about Not sign with a Major and then you wouldn't have to complain and $#$%* about getting Jerked?

Force $!!%$# hands

And 
laugh.gif

Good Luck with that ..

Dude had been signed with a major for his first two albums so we all knew that and he knew that. Obviously when he signed the deal he never thought it would come this.  I am sure if he had a crystal ball and could look into the future he wouldn't so your point about not signing with a major is quite absurd.

NOT drop the album?! Really when your an artist and your still forced to record albums that your under contract you don't have much of a choice.  Lupe doesn't like the situation but at the end of the day he knows just putting out what they want will be the sooner he gets out of his contract. It is what it is...not much you can do when your under contract.  In order to get out of a contract you have to fulfill it unless you can get out of it early and that it is not easy at all. Clearly you don't understand how this works hence your posts but this happens to a lot of good artists.  Once Lupe rejected the 360 deal you knew Atlantic wasn't going to let him go easy so not dropping the album was NEVER a realistic option.

But apparently in your fantasy land Lupe had a chance to gain full control of his album.  SMH at being uniformed and posting. 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 @ Lupe fantasty Land ...

FOH ..

laugh.gif
@ the 180

LupeStan: I don't want no watered down Lupe. I want that SLR F& L Lupe

*wack weed plate drops*

LupeStan: Oh he did what he had to do. Even though it's crap I'm a go support.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

laugh.gif
@ the 180

*wack weed plate drops*

laugh.gif
and this sums it ALL up

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

laugh.gif
@ the 180

*wack weed plate drops*

laugh.gif
 Like I said before this could have been a success. But Lupe had a be a debbie downer and and all the stans followed.

Wack album compared to his last couple and what this should have been. F&L is copped next week.

@#!%% Please ..

Force $!!%$# hands

And 
laugh.gif

Good Luck with that ..

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 @ Lupe fantasty Land ...

FOH ..

laugh.gif
@ that being the best response you can come up with after your ridiculous statements were shutdown.

FAIL

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I just  don't understand why all the songs had to sound the same with the poor production and throwing somebody on the hook? Literally copying commercial/mainstream rappers style in a completely transparent way would've been better than this.

There would be a different reaction if the album was like this:

01. Letting Go Ft. Sarah Green (Produced By The Future) 4:26
02. Words I Never Said Ft. Skylar Grey (Produced By Alex Da Kid) 4:17
03. Anthem song about the trap & how many times you moved white Ft. Jeezy, Gucci, Rick Ross & Any other drug rapper (Prod. By Cool & Dre)*1st single*
04. I Don't Care About This Album Right Now (The Weed Song) Ft. Curren$y, Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg, Devin The Dude &  (Produced By J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League)
05. Bang Bang Shoot em Up, Die N_ Die! (The N.W.A. influenced song) (Prod. By Dr. Dre circa 1990)
06. The Diss song Ft. Curtis Jackson (Prod. By The Hitmen; Sean C & LV)
07. The southern sounding song w/ dance (Prod. By Soulja Boy Tell Em) *2nd Single*
08. The Simp song a.k.a. some Fabolous sounding song Ft. Drake & Lil Mo or w/e female is doing these features nowadays Keri Hilson? (Prod. By The Runners)
09. The Kufi Song Ft. Mos Def, Nas, Jay Electronica, Common, Little Brother & Talib Kweli (Prod. By Hi-Tek, 9th Wonder, and any other backpack producers that want to contribute)
10. The auto tune song that sound like it should've been on 808s (Prod. By Kanye Written by Cudi or some other emo cat)
11. All Black Everything (Produced By Wizzo Buchanan) 3:40
12. The Lupe song that sounds like Lupe (Prod. By Soundtrakk)
Bonus
13. I'm Beaming (Remix) Ft. Lil B (Produced By The Neptunes)

I'd be proud in the fact he was forced in a situation, mailed it in by giving Atlantic the middle finger. They wouldn't be able to tell, just be happy that the songs sound like other selling/popular rappers. Probably would go gold too.
The **** up ..

How he give Atlantic the Middle Finger?

If he wanted to give a atlanic the mddle finger .. he wouldn't had bended to their will and/or Leaked the OG version of Lasers

All he did was bend over and let Atlantic run up in him slow *pause*

either way this !@%%! lost

Then this dumb %#! !@%%! makes statement talmbout he hates this album .... Yet tweets people asking to go cop it on the 8th

!@%%! needs to make up his mind ..

All this flip flopping is making buddy look lame ( and I'm a Lupe fan)
I said if he did that type of album he would've been giving Atlantic the middle finger.Okay?

There's a difference between making awful music and hating the fact that you're doing it and purposely making bad music and having fun with it cuz you're mocking the whole industry while you do it.
People would still say it's garbage.
Yeah but it'd be garbage he's purposely made to make a point. Not mentally checking out in the booth with the beats he rapped over on this album.

SHWAP got what I was trying to say.
^And Atlantic would have said nope go back and make this album we want. End of Story.
You sure? Cuz I think Atlantic wants a Lupe album that sells. You can argue with me about if what I suggested would sell but I think everybody in here can agree this shh won't sell outside of the Lupe stans who will never admit this album is hogwash after wasting money on it.

I'm saying though a coke anthem, a club banger, a weed song and a dance song? with features from other popular mainstream artists? Atlantic would've ate that up.

@#!%% Please ..

Force $!!%$# hands

And 
laugh.gif

Good Luck with that ..

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 @ Lupe fantasty Land ...

FOH ..

laugh.gif
@ that being the best response you can come up with after your ridiculous statements were shutdown.

FAIL

I thought it was funny 

Personally I don't give no %#@*$ at all about what you think homie

I just was too Lazy to type

BUT ok ..

How was my statement ridiculous? 

He *+#%+#% moaned and complained about how Atlantic was doing him ... From jump Street

But he signed with these %$!$+! and cashed that check ..

Like I said everything thats happening.. THATS ON HIM ..

IMO opinion , Creative Control is/should be of the upmost importance to any artist .. 

once you !$%$ with that , ANY artist in their right mind should "say nah, !$%$ that"

Atlantic Clearly took the creative control away from him .. Really He gave it up willingly

But He had No choice 
eyes.gif

I'm living in a "fantasty land"?

I called this train wreck of an Album MONTHS ago ...

Where were you?

You giving this **%@* a pass for putting out this Trash  like "he had no choice" .. "He did what he had to do"

This **%@* had a choice .. He chose Alienate his fans .. Not take a stand

Those same fans who signed a petition and who were going to protest outside the station to hear one of the nicest MC's get date to drop the album that's been done for a year- 2 years? 

they pretty much got spit in the face with this album .. ( like I predicted)

His fans didn't wanna hear on a track with Trey Songz 
laugh.gif

He's still "forced" to record? .. BS

He could've of been one of the few artist to have put their foot down and got out of their contracts and not bend to the label !+%+#$*

Easy or not it's possible, as you have said

Of Course They was gonna give him the blues when he rejected that deal, cuz they knew they wont make NO money off him

Not Dropping an album is a very realistic Option ..

It the biggest !$%$ you that an artist can send ..

just like retiring ..

"Instead of letting you bastards control my destiny .. I'll retire and not drop $!%% !$%$ Ya'll"

Worst they could do is legal action

**%@* need to grow balls and get smart  straight up ..

I'll continue to live in my fantasty land while you and other continue to make excuse for this wack %+@ album 

If you are judging the album for what it is, its a decent album. If you are judging the album against his first two, its horrible.

laugh.gif
 $!%% like this ..

when have you heard in any other album thread ( other then Jay) someone make an excuse like this?

Let that $!%% been any other rapper .. %$!$+! would be merciless 
laugh.gif

I said if he did that type of album he would've been giving Atlantic the middle finger.Okay?

There's a difference between making awful music and hating the fact that you're doing it and purposely making bad music and having fun with it cuz you're mocking the whole industry while you do it.

Oh ok homie I gotcha... My fault for misreading 

Either way his care fans wouldve still been salty

I like the subject matter of his songs. The lyrics are still sharp and the message/theme is mature and strong. But the production is only okay, the sound of some of the tracks are unfortunately forgettable. And his older albums seem to just be of a overall higher quality.

But it has to be said that this is not garbage as some people want to claim. As with everything on the internet people want to be extreme. Its a good album, but The Cool is betterAlthough I do think this will be one of those albums which get better with each listen.

Actually took time to listen to the whole album and can't help but 
30t6p3b.gif
. There are a few dope songs but the rest isn't up to par with Lupe's usual stuff. I won't be copping this,I was looking forward to it too
ohwell.gif

Now I'll just have to wait for F&L2 ,hopefully it's not rushed and he takes time to put out his usual quality stuff.

Everyone knows the 'fiasco' (ha) behind this album. David vs. Goliath, with Lupe the former and Atlantic the latter naturally. Lupe %+%*%%*, fans petitioned, and an album was on the way landing March 8th. That album is "Lasers", an album that wouldn't have been possible if not for the fans standing behind their artist. In the midst of all this chaos an album still had to be made. With the pressure of Atlantic on his back and the expectations of his fans riding high did Lupe deliver?

http://

The moans and groans I heard right away around the interwebz is that Lupe Fiasco is doing his best Nas impersonation on here. Preaching positivity. Preaching positivity A LOT and it doesn't help that some of these beats wouldn't sound out of place on Kidz Bop. It also doesn't help that the last body of work we heard from him was the certified insane "Enemy of the State". Hey...don't kill the messenger.

It doesn't start off bad. The introduction to "Lasers" reunites Lupe with Sarah Green, a frequent collaborator, for Letting Go. As an intro it works; it's light, sets the mood and let's you know what to expect from "Lasers". The first thing you hear once the next track, Words I Never Said, starts is Skylar Grey which could only mean one thing: Alex Da Kidd has reached Lupe. This track actually has a pretty mean bounce but suffers from the same heavy reverb drums found in all other Alex Da Kidd productions making it sound like all of his other beats. Till I Get There takes it down a notch with Needlz behind the boards providing a smooth piano driven track that doesn't lack any of that old school flavor. Lupe encourages us to reach for our dreams no matter how long or how hard it might be. 

Just when I started to think that Lasers does have some consistency the next track completely *$*+% %%*+ up. Completely breaking any cohesion the album had up this point, I Don't Wanna Care fist pumps itself into "Lasers". Seriously, this %%*+ sounds like the new Jersey Shore theme song. Not getting deeper into it, I don't wanna care. After that I hoped the album wasn't taking a turn into a different direction, a disgustingly cringe-worthy pop direction and I was half right. Out of my Head, is more like I Don't Wanna Care than the good taste the first three songs left your mouth; Not a fan. This is when I started to worry, praying to god, that the next song could pull a 180 back into the RIGHT direction. Prayer answered, sort of, in the form of "Lasers" first single, The Show Must Go On. I liked it when I first heard it and still like it. 

Bringing Lupe back into familiar territory, Beautiful Lasers lets Lupe do what he does best over a haunting dare I say beautiful beat. Lupe's voice distorts and phases while he gets angrier preaching, "this world is such a %@!!++ up place, my mind in such %@!!++ up shape, everything down here sucks, maybe what's up there is great." Indeed. Going back into lighter territory, Coming Up sounds like a New-Age Jazz record with piano chords and funky synths that allow Lupe to offer some words of Wisdom. Once again after a good run things turn ugly with State Run Radio, the only Rock oriented song on the album. Being that, it's completely out of place among ALL the upbeat piano,synth tracks that make up "Lasers". My least favorite song on the album. My first thought when I heard the chorus was System of a Down covering the Oompa Loompa songs. The beat on the verses is actually dope but I can't forgive that chorus. 

"What. The. %##%." is the first thing you'll say once Break The Chain starts. Easily, the worst intro I have ever heard for a Hip-Hop song. Easily, the most Techno Hip-Pop song on "Lasers". The actual beat isn't bad and the hook isn't as bad as you think but this song just screams Cheese. From Lupe echoing "Freedom" in the start, a British guy rapping in the 2nd verse, and those kicks. Luckily the next track is All Black Everything. THIS. This is pure classic Lupe. It's not ground breaking or innovative, but works extremely well. The album ends with Never Forget You, with John Legend on the chorus. This track has that happy but extremely depressing feel to it. Lupe raps about being nostalgic, the good and the bad times. Not a bad way to close out an album.

Final Thoughts: If you're a Lupe fan you'll find something to like here but as a newcomer I wouldn't recommend you start here. It's a weird album where nothing really stands out as bad or good, it just coasts along as okay. Lupe is still spittin' here but he doesn't sound inspired like he did on his previous efforts. Looking back on his other albums, both of them had an identity; Time will tell if this "Lasers" will find it's. All the turmoil behind "Lasers" must've taken it's toll on him and it shows. Something had to be made and this was it.

Source: Beefonmyblock.com 

JUST TURRIBLE... 
eek.gif

indifferent.gif

tired.gif

Horrible beats, no chemistry with him and the artist, off topic, a billion features, subpar lyrics.....

Sounds like Lupe went to soundclick.com, DL all *Hot Free Beats / With Hooks", and rapped. {

Originally Posted by MissinPieces

JUST TURRIBLE... 
eek.gif

indifferent.gif

tired.gif

Horrible beats, no chemistry with him and the artist, off topic, a billion features, subpar lyrics.....

Sounds like Lupe went to soundclick.com, DL all *Hot Free Beats / With Hooks", and rapped. 
mad.gif
{
Don't know if this was posted yet, but this is an Interview from Complex that kinda explains what you said.
ohwell.gif

As told to Insanul Ahmed (@Incilin)
[h2]On "The Show Goes On"[/h2]
“There’s nothing really to tell about that record, to be honest. I didn’t have nothing to do with that record. That was the label’s record. That wasn’t like I knew the producer or knew the writer or anything like that. That was one of those records the record company gave me, [they even gave me] stuff they wanted me to rap about. It wasn’t like, ‘Hey I did this and I went to a mountain and found inspiration and it was this.’ [Last April] I was backstage at a show at the House of Blues in L.A. and the president of [Atlantic Records] came to me and said, ‘Hey check this out, I got this song.’ He played ‘Show Goes On’ for me on the iPod. I was used to it because they presented me like ten other songs in the same fashion or via email. So for me, at that point, it was just another record like, ‘Is this a song you want me to do?’ There was nothing special about it for me at that point. It was like, ‘You know we still want off the label, right?’ That was the conversations we were having.

“I did the record maybe a couple weeks after I initially heard it. We were on tour and I didn’t have the schedule to go record it, so the first instance that I had to actually go do it, I went and knocked it out. I knocked out ‘Never Forget You’ that same day. Then we had ‘Show Goes On’ for two, three months completed in some fashion. It was never a record like, ‘Hey! Lupe is super excited about ‘Show Goes On.’’ At that point, I was just drained. I was like, ‘Whatever. Another song, another day, another dollar.’

I had to do ['The Show Goes On'] and it had to be the first single if the record was going to come out.

“I had to do ‘Show Goes On,’ that was like the big chip on the table. I had to do it and it had to be the first single if the record was going to come out. And then there’s ‘Never Forget You’ [featuring John Legend]—which is another record I had nothing to do with—which became another bargaining chip, like, ‘Yo, after ‘Show Goes On’ there’s going to be this other record that you had nothing to do with.’ And I know John Legend, he’s a cool dude. But it was just a record he had sitting around and Exec A or Exec B heard it, and they were like, ‘Oh yeah! We’re going to put this on Lupe.’ And it wasn’t like, ‘Hey Lupe, do you like this song?’ it was like, ‘You got to do this record.’ At that point, I had already done ten records [the same way]. It was like I’d fly out from whatever spot I’m vacationing in, cut these records, and fly back.

If I had never heard of Lupe Fiasco before.. Id be like damn this album is sick, and should go plat.
His lyrics + flow on these commercial %++ beats/songs is sick.

But...

We all know the real Lupe.

I love Food&Liquor and The Cool.

He should take the A off the album cover, because this cd is a loser.

Back
Top Bottom