**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

**** I don't know if I can pick a top 5 from all of Kendrick's songs, too many great ones.

Might be hard to find a top 5 from TPAB so I'm gonna rank them all then decide the top 5 from there.

1. Mortal Man

2. u

3. These Walls

4. Wesley's Theory

5. Momma

6. Hood Politics 

7. The Blacker the Berry

8. King Kunta

9. How Much a Dollar Cost

10. Alright

11. For Free?

12. Complexion

13. i

14. You Ain't Gotta Lite

15. Institutionalized

16. For Sale?

That was really hard to make because there wasn't a song I didn't like. I liked the idea of For Sale but idk I never really got into it.

It's really interesting to see all of the different top 5s, a lot of them had songs that I didn't enjoy too much like Institutionalized high up there. Just goes to show how deep the album is.

Money trees
Swimming pools
P&P
Blow my high
Spiteful chant

Those are the ones I listen to the most as of right now but it always changes

Saw kdot live at outside lands last night. Man it gets better every time I see him :x he even the adhd
Crazy packed I think it was estimated >20,000 it looked more than that. We were 1/3 up to the stage
View media item 1665761

Last edited:
Top 5: (in no order)

Cloud 10

Money Trees

Sing About Me

Growing Apart (To Get Closer)

I Had No Idea

Wish he would do a tour, seems like all these artist just hit these festivals.

Seattle doesn't have many festivals.

frown.gif

Yea idk if he's doing a tour for his album. I honestly thought he was gonna play tpab but when the gkmc movie started playing then money trees dropped I knew we weren't in Kansas anymore. He played a few tpab songs like king kunta, I, and alright. Really wanted to feel blacker the berry and complexion. He also did Hail Mary and I lost it.

YouTube hasn't wirked for me.
Yea idk if he's doing a tour for his album. I honestly thought he was gonna play tpab but when the gkmc movie started playing then money trees dropped I knew we weren't in Kansas anymore. He played a few tpab songs like king kunta, I, and alright. Really wanted to feel blacker the berry and complexion. He also did Hail Mary and I lost it.

He's been slowly releasing TPAB tracks on his concert.
Before he came to SummerFest, he had only done King Kunta 2-3 times... And when he did it at Summerfest, I lost it...

Shoot.. Come back Kendrick..

Maybe he's waiting to see who to bring along on the tour? There's nobody really out that isn't already connected to a tour. Isn't Jay Rocks album releasing soon too? Maybe he's waiting for that to release.

So I'm sitting here listening to Section 80, GKMC, and TPAB back2back2back again and my god, what a storyteller K. Dot is. Just mastery of the art form.

Top 5, tho it's hard to narrow it to that, but here goes:

(No order BTW)

Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst - Song is just too deep n hits me everytime. First verse on each part too real, "This Piru **** been in me forever" "If I die before your album drop, I hope...*pop pop pop*" "Tired of runnin', tired of huntin', my own kind but retirin' nothing"

Poe Man's Dreams - First verse again; starts off way too real. "I used to wanna see the penitentiary way after elementary, thought it was cool to look the judge in the face when he sentence me n since my uncles were institutionalized, my intuition had said I was suited for family ties" "You came home to a pocket full of stones, a Metro PC phone, then you went back in"

Cartoons n Cereal - The hook n Gunplay's verse, plus Kendrick's flow all came together perfectly. "You was holding a handgun, she was giving birth to a baby boy to be just like you, I wonder what that's worth? Little did you know, you was a role model to me first" That sums up growing up in a gang household/infested area all too well.

Collect Calls - The emotion on this track is harrowing, given the despair n hopelessness the lyrics convey. Then, to realize it was his own momma turning him in to save him from dying in the streets is some **** that really happens. I feel this track is vastly underappreciated n overlooked.

Institutionalized - This song starts off great, "If I was the President, I'd pay my momma's rent, free my homies n them, bulletproof my Chevy doors, lay in the hospital n get high, Lord, whoever thought, Massa' take the chains off me" The second verse from his homies' perspective really made the song for me tho. It highlights the mentality of those forever caught up in the lifestyle. Cats that can't see the forest for the trees. "The **** am I 'posed to do when I'm looking at walking licks?" That's the exact reason why I never bring the homies around people I know; they always tryna get over on someone.

TPAB has been all I've been listening to for the past month; mostly kuz I'm broke as **** n been in the streets too much to burn a CD or go cop something new. It's a masterpiece in my eyes tho. One thing I found to be genius, (Whether intentional, noticeable, or not) is with the track Momma. To me the song starts off sounding dreamlike; with the high pitch rings leading into it. However, from 3:30 on, when the beat switches n the song enters its "Pink Elephants" stage, sounding nightmarish, is probably my favorite part of the entire album. That little outro, I feel, could've done well as a track, but is better served as it is. "I've been lookin' for you my whole life, an appetite for the feeling I can barely describe, where you reside? Is it in a woman, is it money, or mankind? Tell me something, got me losing my mind...maybe you're in a dollar bill, maybe you're not real, maybe only the wealthy get to know how you feel"

Kendrick really spazzed on this album, n the funk that was laced throughout was definitely appreciated.

Last edited:
My top 5 from all of Kendrick's studio albums in no particular order.

1. The Blacker The Berry

2. Poetic Justice

3. maad city

4. rigamortus

5. ADHD

I'd say my top 5 are:

1. Sing About Me

2. ADHD

3. Kush & Corinthians

4. Mortal Man

5. Cut You Off

This can change daily. I have Ronald Reagan Era, Poe Man's Dreams, Cartoon and Cereal, and Art of Peer Pressure just off the top top 5 too.

I think my favorite verse would be the second verse on PMD or on Ab-Soul's Outro. Or maybe the first 2 on SAM,

See a lot of y'all don't understand Kendrick Lamar
because you wonder how I could talk about money, ****, clothes, God and history
all in the same sentence
You know what all them things have in common?
Only half of the truth if you tell it
See I spent twenty-three years on this earth searching for answers
till one day I realised I had to come up with my own
I'm not on the outside looking in, I'm not on inside looking out
I'm in the dead ******* centre looking around
You ever seen a newborn baby kill a grown man?
That's an analogy for the way the world make me react
My innocence been dead
So the next time I talk about money, ****, clothes, God and history
all in the same sentence
just know I meant it, and you felt it
cause you too are searching for answers
I'm not the next pop star, I'm not the next socially aware rapper
I am a human ************* being over dope *** instrumentation

Just a thought I shared with a coworker. In the "Alright" video KL is dead. In reality, his shoes are wrapped around that pole he's rapping from and in the spirit his ghost is there and still in the hood, floating among his people. The cop shooting him is just a flashback.

When KL speaks to Pac on TPAB, at that point in the album, he's dead. When he can finish his poem and speak to Pac, it's because they're both ghosts. When he finally loves himself and is going to change for the better, he gets killed and dies a martyr.

Maybe I'm late, but I haven't kept up with the convo.

Thoughts?

^^^
Interesting post..
Makes a lot of sense..
Too many K.Dot songs I like to list but Hol' Up by far is my favorite..
The beat and him just spitting[emoji]128526[/emoji]

I'd say my top 5 are:

1. Sing About Me
2. ADHD
3. Kush & Corinthians
4. Mortal Man
5. Cut You Off

This can change daily. I have Ronald Reagan Era, Poe Man's Dreams, Cartoon and Cereal, and Art of Peer Pressure just off the top top 5 too.

I think my favorite verse would be the second verse on PMD or on Ab-Soul's Outro. Or maybe the first 2 on SAM,

See a lot of y'all don't understand Kendrick Lamar​

because you wonder how I could talk about money, ****, clothes, God and history​

all in the same sentence​

You know what all them things have in common?​

Only half of the truth if you tell it​

See I spent twenty-three years on this earth searching for answers​

till one day I realised I had to come up with my own​

I'm not on the outside looking in, I'm not on inside looking out​

I'm in the dead ******* centre looking around​

You ever seen a newborn baby kill a grown man?​

That's an analogy for the way the world make me react​

My innocence been dead​

So the next time I talk about money, ****, clothes, God and history​

all in the same sentence​

just know I meant it, and you felt it​

cause you too are searching for answers​

I'm not the next pop star, I'm not the next socially aware rapper​

I am a human ************* being over dope *** instrumentation​

:smh: :x

Top 5

1.) Sing About Me
2.) HOC
3.) ADHD
4.) Spiteful Chant
5.) Mortal Man

Honestly don't even have a top 5. I have a top 25 that's interchangeable.

My KDot Top 5:

1. Untitled (Record from the Stephen Colbert Show)
2. Sherane aka Master Splinter's Daughter
3. ADHD
4. F. Your Ethnicity
5. The Art of Peer Pressure

Honorable Mention(s):
Money Trees
The Spiteful Chant

Back
Top Bottom