**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

After reading this and reading/listening To Kendricks poem, I kinda just realized the story telling is really his poem. The poem is the album. Even literally because one of the songs of the album is "institutionalized" or "These Walls" which I would venture to say is the walls of the cocoon.

It gives the album a lot of replayability too after listening to the poem, it jumps right back to the first track without the answer from pac. It's how you want to perceive it, as the caterpillar or the butterfly leaving something for the listener to answer.

Or maybe it's just finals week and I need to get some sleep.
laugh.gif
I definitely hear the story and understand the concept, but I just think the way the message was delivered feels unpolished. There are a few standout tracks which execute this flawlessly, but often it sounds forced. I've only listened twice, so it may still take time to hit.

This reminds me of when Good Kid came. People were swearing that nothing stuck out and then they fell in love. Maybe the same will happen.

To be honest, I do this with at least 80 percent of albums that I end up loving lmao.

I'm hoping I do end up loving it. I was bumping section 80 all last night, Kendricks been one of my favorites since I first heard it.

I think it just sorta failed the gym test though, it definitely is not gym music, which is wear I listen to 80% of my music.
Same with me. GKMC took me like 5 listens and when it clicked I was blown away. Second listen right now and it's growing on me.

I think my issue was that I already set expectations on how it would sound. This is so far from what I expected.

This is the type of album you buy and persuade yourself you like it because you don't want to take the L on 15 bucks. Ya the story telling is there but in no ways can you just kick back with the day ones and vibe. I agree with the cat who said the presentation is lacking.

I personally think this album has the perfect sound and tone to vibe too. Super smooth. The Jazz and Funk influence is pretty dope to me.

Off first listen, I feel this **** is trash for kendrick. I havent gotten to the last song yet, but only 3 or 4 songs I messed with. Very disappointed off of the first listen, hope it changes :smh:

If this wasnt kendrick, people wouldve skipped over this album and never given it a 2nd thought.

I think the main problem is most of you created the album you wanted to hear in your mind already before it dropped instead of just enjoying the music and taking it for what it is.

It's really not comparable to GKMC as it doesn't sound the same or flow the same...so to compare them is a waste...also the story telling is definitely there...if you don't hear the story telling, sorry to hear that
laugh.gif
This exactly.

I had'nt been chcecking or FIENDING for this so when it dropped I just turned it on and listened to it for what it was. I had zero expectations going in.

I have learned the hard way... Hyping something up too much always leads to a let down.

Man I didn't like the beats at first, felt they took away from the lyrics, but my gawd they're growing on me. 

nthat.gif

This reminds me of when Good Kid came. People were swearing that nothing stuck out and then they fell in love. Maybe the same will happen.

To be honest, I do this with at least 80 percent of albums that I end up loving lmao.

Same here. I was one of those guys that wasn't feeling GKMC at first, but it grew on me after hearing it in my buddy's car.

I'm at the point where I don't care for "conscious" rap anymore because it's no longer enlightening for me, but I'll give this album a couple listens and see what's up.

This album is more subdued in contrast to GKMC. I agree that there is replay value in it, but there isn't really a standout track to me.

With that being said, my expectations were not met, but that's because I was expecting something completely different. Which doesn't mean this album isn't enjoyable, I'm listening to it for what it is. Very solid through 3 spins

The opposite happened with Tetsuo & Youth, which I had low expectations for but was blown away.

Had this on repeat all morning, gets better with every listen. I think people were expecting more raw K. Dot with trap beats, but the funk and jazz elements are throwing them off. I still think the lyrical content is definitely on par with GKMC just different element vibe around it. None of the heavyweights in hip hop have a sound like right now so it make take a minute to get used to. Dark Sky Paradise does have some of these elements. I feel like Blacker the Berry and Mortal Man could be on GKMC just as I believe Money Trees/The Recipe are similar to the mellowness on this album.

Love the direction he went and executed it. The Walls and Complexion are too dope. Such crazy riding music.

Last edited:
I'm actually happy that he went with a jazz element on this album. I don't know about everyone else, but I needed an album that had less of a "hyped, I'm going to murk a beat, and ziplock a body simultaneously" feel to it. :lol:

I can only listen to so many trap beats. :lol:

-Drew

Last edited:
Very personal album from kendrick.

we all know he was going through some personal emotional problems.

The self hate is expressed on "u" or influence of Lucy throughout the album, especially on "Alright" (Lucy is actually Lucifer) until he breaks out of his cocoon on "How much a dollar costs" when he meets God.

This is how I'm getting it so far while I'm listening to a couple songs. when you hear how kendrick wanted it and not how you wanted it.

Last edited:
Available to purchase now on amazon if anyone is looking for a hard copy. Cant wait to hear this.
Back up on itunes as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom