Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weatherman

• Electric Eel/Easter/Flight

• What The KD7

• Total voters
It's common knowledge MJ was an *******.

Not when he was in prime as a player. All that stuff came out later. He was regarded as a very likeable guy for a lot of years. McDonald's wouldn't have done a "I wanna be like Mike" campaign if everyone thought the guy was an *******.

Not when he was in prime as a player. All that stuff came out later. He was regarded as a very likeable guy for a lot of years. McDonald's wouldn't have done a "I wanna be like Mike" campaign if everyone thought the guy was an *******.
He cut up his best friend's favorite Puma shoes and had his agent get him some Nikes shortly after he signed with Nike. :rofl:

It's common knowledge MJ was an *******.
It's true. But he was the best player in the league, so people sort of ignored that. 

Plus, Jordans weren't necessarily flying off the shelves while he was a player (especially early in his career). I don't have the figures in front of me, so I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that he had a similar rise in sales as LeBron and KD.

I was born in 85, so my age corresponds with each Jordan release. When the 7s came out, I was 7, etc. I don't remember a ton of people walking around in Jordans until around the the 12s. Like I thought if you had Jordans on your parents were wealthy. My parents couldn't afford to get us Jordans. What does everyone else remember? Were these more popular earlier on?

Reactions: ct3

Just joined the forum, got the CBTS in the other day, really loving them so far, especially how the colors can go from hot pink to light pink depending on the lighting. Thinking about getting the 35K ones soon.
Your shoes are gonna fall off if you don't lace them up any tighter.

One roller coaster ride and PHEWWFH!!...

Gone like wind.

Your shoes are gonna fall off if you don't lace them up any tighter.

One roller coaster ride and PHEWWFH!!...

Gone like wind.

roll.gif

It's true. But he was the best player in the league, so people sort of ignored that. 

Plus, Jordans weren't necessarily flying off the shelves while he was a player (especially early in his career). I don't have the figures in front of me, so I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that he had a similar rise in sales as LeBron and KD.

I was born in 85, so my age corresponds with each Jordan release. When the 7s came out, I was 7, etc. I don't remember a ton of people walking around in Jordans until around the the 12s. Like I thought if you had Jordans on your parents were wealthy. My parents couldn't afford to get us Jordans. What does everyone else remember? Were these more popular earlier on?

No you're right. The hype for J's wasn't anywhere near what it is now when MJ was playing. Even when kids were getting killed for J's and that was a big controversey. It wasn't that the shoes weren't available. It was that most folks couldn't afford $125. You could stroll into a mall on release day and weeks after and cop most J's if you had the money. I vividly remember Concord 11's sitting.

If they ever get KD to jump ship, I can't imagine it being more difficult to pirate the KD line designer as well?

Chang is cool but I don't think Nike would cry if they lost him. Especially if UA gave him a similar ridiculous offer for shoe designers.

Last edited:

i was born in 80 and when i was growing up, jordans were really popular, but only rich kids got them cause they were t he only nike shoe over 100 dollars.. i remember begging my mom for a pair of raptor 7's, but she wasnt havent that.. my mom always got me the cheaper nikes with no air bubble.. that were like 30 - 50 dollars. 

but anyway to answer your questions jordans have always been popular.

I mean I'm no economist. I slept through most of my micro and macro economics courses, but they're making money they normally wouldn't have. I doubt they'll ever do $245 in straight sneaker sales, but they are cutting into Nike and Adidas market share.

For example, just in this thread, if 1/5  NTers are diehard KD fans and buy the UA sneaker, that is 1 out of every 5 people who's money would normally go to Nike that's going to UA. Plus you add in apparel and accessories it adds up. Then you add in fans of UA or casual fans of KD that like the sneaker design, additional revenue. 
no, they would be operating at a loss, because they still have to pay for marketing, kds salary, manufacturing and production.. 245 million is what that costs.. including his salary..

whats the point of gaining market share if your losing money every year doing it...

i was born in 80 and when i was growing up, jordans were really popular, but only rich kids got them cause they were t he only nike shoe over 100 dollars.. i remember begging my mom for a pair of raptor 7's, but she wasnt havent that.. my mom always got me the cheaper nikes with no air bubble.. that were like 30 - 50 dollars. 

but anyway to answer your questions jordans have always been popular.
I wasn't even lucky enough to get Nikes as a kid, had some weird Converse shoe that I vividly remember and of course I never heard the end of it with the pair of Pony's that I wore for middle school basketball.

Nike's not doing ****. They can either have KD resign with Nike on his own or watch UA eventually go bankrupt cuz of their overspending.

Keep in mind. Nike barely makes money on KD now. Yes, he made them 175 million, but they have to pay KD his salary, royalties for every shoe he sells, marketing, and production. UA's offer isn't just too high, it's foolish.

my CBTS had production dates of 4/23.

You know there are more CWs that have already been made. The question is whether they see the light of day if KD jumps ship.

Nike's not doing ****. They can either have KD resign with Nike on his own or watch UA eventually go bankrupt cuz of their overspending.
UA is not going bankrupt over this. I'm sure they have forecasts for this kind of thing.

Plus if you want to compare, Nike signed Jordan when they were only making 1 billion in revenue. They put a lot of stake in MJ. UA is putting a lot of stake in KD.

Knight had boldly proclaimed at a shoe industry conference in Chicago in the mid-'70s that he wasn’t in the shoe business. He was in the entertainment business.

Problem is, who is the next big star? Nike has something solid with Durant and he still technically hasn't reached his ceiling yet. Imagine they let him go to UA, then the Thunder win the title next season.

This is the biggest concern and the reason why nike hasn't already ended talks most likely . None of the top prospects have signed with them and their are no once in a generation talent in sight. I like Harden more than others and Kyrie is pretty popular but I can't see Harden doing much and Kyrie being around Kobe numbers in the us we all know Kobe does lebron numbers in Asia. Anthony Davis will be amazing in a few years but he's in New Orleans plus is a big man and they don't sell shoes.
according to matt palco, they would need to sell 245 million dollars with of product to break even,  when you include, marketing, production, and other costs ..
Yeah but Matt Powell said Nike didn't start pushing KD's until the 5s . The ivs and the first colorways of the 5s made 35 million the ivs were barely in places. The 5s and the first sales of the 6s made 175 million dollars. 2014 sales hasn't been released yet and I bet that number has risen the vi were extremely popular plus some of the vii sales will be in there too and USAs and global games are nearly gone in most places .

Keep in mind. Nike barely makes money on KD now. Yes, he made them 175 million, but they have to pay KD his salary, royalties for every shoe he sells, marketing, and production. UA's offer isn't just too high, it's foolish.
I won't deny it's a gamble, but I think it's foolish to think UA will go out of business. Their bread and butter is still football. They just signed a $90 million dollar contract to outfit Notre Dame and I expect them to scoop up even more high profile teams in the future.

This is the biggest concern and the reason why nike hasn't already ended talks most likely . None of the top prospects have signed with them and their are no once in a generation talent in sight. I like Harden more than others and Kyrie is pretty popular but I can't see Harden doing much and Kyrie being around Kobe numbers in the us we all know Kobe does lebron numbers in Asia. Anthony Davis will be amazing in a few years but he's in New Orleans plus is a big man and they don't sell shoes.
Yeah but Matt Powell said Nike didn't start pushing KD's until the 5s . The ivs and the first colorways of the 5s made 35 million the ivs were barely in places. The 5s and the first sales of the 6s made 175 million dollars. 2014 sales hasn't been released yet and I bet that number has risen the vi were extremely popular plus some of the vii sales will be in there too and USAs and global games are nearly gone in most places .
Davis is probably the best player out of everyone you just named right now, but big men dont sell shoes like you said.

So will the easy money's be the last shoe if he leaves? Might have to cop

I believe Nike has the right to liquidate any KD products if he switches. Meaning even shoes we may not have seen yet could still release if he switches (because they are made in advance and made prior to him switching).

I believe Nike has the right to liquidate any KD products if he switches. Meaning even shoes we may not have seen yet could still release if he switches (because they are made in advance and made prior to him switching).
Yeah, that's what the article on ESPN said as well...

I wonder if they can do the All-star game, Aunt Pearl's etc though.

That's what the dude at Niketown who sold me my 35Ks said, for whatever that's worth :lol:

Most interesting thing though was how mad, personally, he seemed about KD potentially switching.

Back
Top Bottom