+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

Happy bday Hov

Sagittarius 
nthat.gif

Back when jay went on the heart of the city tour with Mary j, he came out with a black and white Yankee fitted on and tossed it in the crowd. I caught it. It's signed under the brim. And it's for sale. PM me if interested.

watched half of rd20. what stood out to me was when dude was telling the story about how jay was being told that he has to spit some deep stuff like common, but was like "nah i gotta spoon feed 'em. If I get too deep, i'll lose 'em." his music is definitely a mix of intelligence and ignorance. same with ye.
rd is cool, but i was never a big fan of it like most people are. smooth, but i don't love it.

This is very interesting

https://theringer.com/jay-z-reasonable-doubt-media-reaction-b280f7043c0c#.yhpxtou66

"Back to that Ego Trip review: In many ways, Jay Z is the personification of everything Nas wishes to become, writes Wilson. Harsh words in 1996, insightful commentary today. But it’s important to note here: Jay Z was 26 when Reasonable Doubt came out; when Illmatic was released in ’94, Nas was barely 20 (Biggie was 22 for Ready to Die). They are peers in the way that a high school recruit is with an older, polished player who has quietly refined his game out of the public eye."

“If Jay had done an album at age 20 or 22, then it probably would’ve sounded like ‘The Originators,’” says Mao. (Read: earnest, mildly interesting, but forgettable.) “There is no way to separate the fact that he is a little bit older than these guys, and had a perspective that was perhaps broader in scope.” Jay had observed what had worked with B.I.G. and Nas and tailored his own persona accordingly. “He represented an interesting midway point between the two styles,” says Mao. “He had that Brooklyn cool but also had the analytic, writerly side to him.”

"Which leads to a final, cold prophecy from Wilson on Jay and Nas, in the closing to his Ego Trip review: When all is said, done, and divvied up, [Jay Z] will probably make more money."

Elliot Wilson said this in 96. :lol:

"I keep telling everybody that this is my first and last album,” he tells Hunter. It’s very Jay Z, that quote — a calculatingly indirect way to make a direct statement. Many years later he’d expound on the idea in his memoir, Decoded: “When I made my first album, it was my intention to make it my last. I threw everything I had into Reasonable Doubt, but then the plan was to move in to the corner office and run our label.”

kvpaw_s-200x150.gif

Back
Top Bottom