Official Eminem *Recovery* post Vol. 7th studio album 6/22/10

Originally Posted by Krazyrodzilla

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

so what were the first week numbers?

700-750k
good stuff em
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"Lets do the math, if I was black I would have sold half, I didnt have to graduation from lincoln high school to know that"

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by raw spice

I said about Harlem being racist in another thread the other day, glad to see everyone else has picked up on it. Seriously, it's shocking how thick people can be...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't think ANYone with half a brain would consider what I said racist...

That being said, I understand why YOU guys would draw those conclusions...

But I'm out tho, you guys can continue your WTP...  You already have your 2 or 3 token black guys in this thread... The last thing this thread needs is someone that knows what they're talkin about...

Other than that...
Spoiler [+]
stop-snitching.jpg

& to homeboy that said I'd get stomped out...
laugh.gif

151st & Amsterdam

Fastest way to Harlem is a A train...
wink.gif
Nobody said ANYTHING regarding race until you said "or be white, Either or".

So why are you calling OTHER people racist? Your a ****** son.
roll.gif

Get outta here with all that G's perspective, its not even relevant.

I think Eminem's value as an artist is illustrated in the fact that after a long time off and a long time from his best he still stirs up a lot of argument and debate.

Just like his last album I still feel his hooks and production are a little bit away from being great. I mean "Never Over" could be decent, he just tries to sing a bit too much.

Do I like him a little bit more cuz he's white. Maybe, probably. However I think we all tend to root for people that are similar to us. Go to a boxing match and see how people align themselves without knowing any skills or personality traits of the fighters.

And I've heard other rappers who put out just as much whack stuff and worse than 'em, they still sell too so why be mad at 'em?

Alright so I finally listened to the album...

ColdWind Blow  6/10

Talkin’To Myself 8.5/10

OnFire 6.5/10

Won’tBack Down 6.5/10

W.T.P.  4/10

GoingThrough Changes 9/10

NotAfraid 8.5/10

Seduction7.5/10

NoLove 8.5/10

SpaceMan 7.5/10

CinderellaMan 5/10

25To Life 9.5/10

SoBad 8/10

AlmostFamous 7/10

LoveThe Way You Lie 6/10

You’reNever Over  5/10

Untitled5.5/10

Overall 7- 7.5/10

Problems with the album:

15-20 minutes too long (you have 55mins to an hours to keep someone's attention after that you lose them.. Toward the end I was itching to finish it)

When I was reading friends saying Eminem was back and all that I was somewhat excited. But did we really want Eminem to be "back"? At times he goes back to just rapping random things together and putting it in a compact formula so it fits perfectly with the beat with no meaning or central idea. That's not music and it's not entertaining. So when Eminem was "back" I was assuming that meant he reinvented himself and is a different rapper but it is only in flashes.. He goes to the same well too many times.. He allows himself to be vulnerable then all of a sudden sound like a %+#@%!@ rapping about nothing in particular. He still has insane flow and a ridiculous rhyme scheme if he could channel that into something less childish or more coherent. Not @%++ that makes us laugh when we were in the 6th grade.

He shows he can be leagues ahead of most people then shows he has learned nothing from previous albums... 

I've grown up with Eminem he came out when I was 8. I'm 20 almost 21. I've grown.. Why the hell can't he? I was reading a Jay-Z article and he states he has only told 11 stories in his career but each story can be told 100 ways.. It seems like Eminem has 4 or 5 stories and only 2 of them can be told 100 times without wearing down and the other 3 are stories you can tell a dozen times and then at some point you have to question the mental state or lack of effort..

In a genre where you cannot be stagnant he is the definition of stagnation...

Decent album.. But it is still average in the overall scheme of things. Highly disappointed..

Overall Rank of Albums:
MMLP 9.5/10
TES 9/10
SSLP 9/10
Infinite 8.5/10
Recovery 7-7.5/10
Relpase 6.5/10
Encore 5/10

And before I get called an Eminem hater I have him top 10.

Originally Posted by Essential1

To criticize an artist being stagnant then mention Jay-z in the same breath as the contrary
roll.gif

my god, i hope that was sarcasm on your part.

by the way, when people refer to "he's back" means he's BACK TO WHAT HE USED TO BE. What is the thought process of thinking that "he might have re-invented himself" from that statement?

He hasn't grown? He has inspiring, motivational, love, gritty, funny, and metaphorical songs all on one album, what the #+$@ more do you want?

essentially, your opinion sucks.

Originally Posted by glasses

To criticize an artist being stagnant then mention Jay-z in the same breath as the contrary
roll.gif

by the way, when people refer to "he's back" means he's BACK TO WHAT HE USED TO BE. What is the thought process of thinking that "he might have re-invented himself" from that statement?

He hasn't grown? He has inspiring, motivational, love, gritty, funny, and metaphorical songs all on one album, what the #+$@ more do you want?

couldnt have said it any better myself ... what school do some of you guys receive your education from? what part of "he's back" means he reinvented himself?
laugh.gif

and Essential, i'd love a link to where jay-z said he tells only so many stories but he can tell them so many different ways because that is EXACTLY the reason why i dont consider him to be what many on here say he is ... one of my staple arguments against jay and his music is the fact that he had reasonable doubt and then re-packaged it 8 or 9 times over ... i'm glad even jay understand where im coming from ...

so...uh, anyone catch Letterman last night?

pretty cool and odd at the same time seeing them perform like they did ... Em definitely over shadowed jay strictly off of song choice ... on to the next one was dumb to pick ... jay-z looked old and washed up while Em looks like he's a fresh new rapper ... it's weird seeing jay-z look run of the mill ... but his interview with letterman was good ...

roll.gif

Of course I know what He's Back means.... But being back to the what he used to be, would require him to be different, and take it to a new level Which he didn't. So he's back isn't he's back to what Eminem is capable of. He's back means he is doing exactly what he used to do. Same dumb stories  that have no logical depth or intellectual curiosity that writers need...I'm not asking him to be Nas, and I don't even really like Underground Rappers.. What I am saying is have a point, a central idea, something that makes some sort of sense.. If not he is nothing more than a highly talented Wakka Flocka.

He does show some growth and it shows in the ratings of songs but he also shows he hasn't learned a thing from Relapse and tells the same songs as he always does.. And funny does not mean you have to risk storyline.. Kanye West has some funny songs but they still have a core. It is not some random thrown together words, that he can rhyme together calculatingly, with a fast pace flow and complicated rhyme structure. Em is packaging air in a gucci bag. There are times where he is inspirational, motivating (25 to Life) and straight up rapping no BS content (No Love) but he also has songs that are full of nothing but complicated delivery that really are not growth at all (W.T.P., Cold Wind Blows)

In comparison to something of real life (so we can talk on more basic terms)Say I cheat on a girl, and come back a year later and say I've grown as a person. And to show I've grown I stay faithful for a few months then get back to cheating on her.. Did I show growth or the facade of growth for a minimal time to earn credit that I did?

Is that not what Eminem did?
So Eminem says he's grown so he gives us a few songs that show growth and then at the same time goes and does what he used to do that is not growth.. That is saying I just do it to do it...

What I want is Eminem who can give me songs of Stan, Till I Collapse & Cleaning Out My Closet caliber (not the same songs but of that caliber) without having to worry about hearing another dumbed down Eminem song.

So essentially your opinion is nothing different than mine, an opinion.. And since neither of our opinions matter, they both suck.

Moneyisthemotive it is in the new Rolling Stone magazine.

Of course I know what He's Back means.... But being back to the what he used to be, would require him to be different, and take it to a new level Which he didn't. So he's back isn't he's back to what Eminem is capable of. He's back means he is doing exactly what he used to do. Same dumb stories  that have no logical depth or intellectual curiosity that writers need...I'm not asking him to be Nas, and I don't even really like Underground Rappers.. What I am saying is have a point, a central idea, something that makes some sort of sense.. If not he is nothing more than a highly talented Wakka Flocka.

He does show some growth and it shows in the ratings of songs but he also shows he hasn't learned a thing from Relapse and tells the same songs as he always does.. And funny does not mean you have to risk storyline.. Kanye West has some funny songs but they still have a core. It is not some random thrown together words, that he can rhyme together calculatingly, with a fast pace flow and complicated rhyme structure. Em is packaging air in a gucci bag. There are times where he is inspirational, motivating (25 to Life) and straight up rapping no BS content (No Love) but he also has songs that are full of nothing but complicated delivery that really are not growth at all (W.T.P., Cold Wind Blows)

In comparison to something of real life (so we can talk on more basic terms)Say I cheat on a girl, and come back a year later and say I've grown as a person. And to show I've grown I stay faithful for a few months then get back to cheating on her.. Did I show growth or the facade of growth for a minimal time to earn credit that I did?

Is that not what Eminem did?
So Eminem says he's grown so he gives us a few songs that show growth and then at the same time goes and does what he used to do that is not growth.. That is saying I just do it to do it...

What I want is Eminem who can give me songs of Stan, Till I Collapse & Cleaning Out My Closet caliber (not the same songs but of that caliber) without having to worry about hearing another dumbed down Eminem song.

So essentially your opinion is nothing different than mine, an opinion.. And since neither of our opinions matter, they both suck.

Moneyisthemotive it is in the new Rolling Stone magazine.

It seems like how you view this album depends on how you interpret "He's Back," where exactly he's getting back to, and "growth."

To me, Eminem's peak was The Eminem Show.  He achieved blending the lyrical prowess of Slim Shady with the life experiences of Marshall Mathers to give us exactly who and what Eminem represents as an artist in the industry on that album.  In fact, from SSLP up to TES, he achieved EXACTLY what he set out to do (perfectly, imo) with each album.  That is to establish the persona that each album represents.  I dont think any series of releases displays the evolution of an artist any better that SSLP, MMLP, and TES.  After TES, Em got away from that then further away with the following 2 albums (Encore & Relapse).  To quantify this decline, lets just say he lost a combined 2 steps. With Recovery, I believe Eminem came back to within 0.5 steps of where he was at with TES.  For me, thats close enough to say "He's back" to where he was at his best at representing what Eminem is/was.  To me, it sounds like he is still struggling on the lyrical side a bit.  The "growth" isn't the TES Eminem evolving, it's the artist who released Relapse trying to get back to being Eminem at his peak (at TES).  You are right to say he hasn't technically "grown" but I don't think you can fault a guy who achieved exactly what he set out to do.  That is to just take 2 steps forward after taking 2 steps back.

I pretty much agree with what you are getting at but I guess we differ on expectations for this album and "can it still be called growth after you've regressed?"

^

People are confusing what he is now with what he once was.

To keep him out of a top five because of his last few albums doesn't change the fact that he killed his first 3.

I know longevity comes into play when talking the greats, but name the amount of GREAT albums not the bad ones.

Alright so I finally listened to the album...

ColdWind Blow  6/10

Talkin’To Myself 8.5/10

OnFire 6.5/10

Won’tBack Down 6.5/10

W.T.P.  4/10

GoingThrough Changes 9/10

NotAfraid 8.5/10

Seduction7.5/10

NoLove 8.5/10

SpaceMan 7.5/10

CinderellaMan 5/10

25To Life 9.5/10

SoBad 8/10

AlmostFamous 7/10

LoveThe Way You Lie 6/10

You’reNever Over  5/10

Untitled5.5/10

Overall 7- 7.5/10

Problems with the album:

15-20 minutes too long (you have 55mins to an hours to keep someone's attention after that you lose them.. Toward the end I was itching to finish it)

When I was reading friends saying Eminem was back and all that I was somewhat excited. But did we really want Eminem to be "back"? At times he goes back to just rapping random things together and putting it in a compact formula so it fits perfectly with the beat with no meaning or central idea. That's not music and it's not entertaining. So when Eminem was "back" I was assuming that meant he reinvented himself and is a different rapper but it is only in flashes.. He goes to the same well too many times.. He allows himself to be vulnerable then all of a sudden sound like a %+#@%!@ rapping about nothing in particular. He still has insane flow and a ridiculous rhyme scheme if he could channel that into something less childish or more coherent. Not @%++ that makes us laugh when we were in the 6th grade.

He shows he can be leagues ahead of most people then shows he has learned nothing from previous albums... 

I've grown up with Eminem he came out when I was 8. I'm 20 almost 21. I've grown.. Why the hell can't he? I was reading a Jay-Z article and he states he has only told 11 stories in his career but each story can be told 100 ways.. It seems like Eminem has 4 or 5 stories and only 2 of them can be told 100 times without wearing down and the other 3 are stories you can tell a dozen times and then at some point you have to question the mental state or lack of effort..

Decent album.. But it is still average in the overall scheme of things. Highly disappointed..

Overall Rank of Albums:
MMLP 9.5/10
TES 9/10
SSLP 9/10
Infinite 8.5/10
Recovery 7-7.5/10
Relpase 6.5/10
Encore 5/10

And before I get called an Eminem hater I have him top 10.

This is the best and most unbiased opinion in here I would say... you hit the nail on the head for me with this because it's almost exactly how I feel.

I am happy for those that love dude and his music and want to hear more from him though, but for myself I probably won't be hyped for Em like that anymore unless he's back to like 8 mile material.

He's still one of the best rappers out without question though...

Now... just waiting on what his first week numbers will look like.

roll.gif

so...... talkin to myself, going through changes, space bound, not afraid, 25 to life, and youre never over are equivalent to a waka flocka peice of work?

seriously, just stop.

You want EVERY SINGLE SONG on the album to have some sort of deep meaning to it? Every album has it's singles, which is fluffer, your point is moot.

My opinion might suck, but yours is particularly bad.

roll.gif

so...... talkin to myself, going through changes, space bound, not afraid, 25 to life, and youre never over are equivalent to a waka flocka peice of work?

seriously, just stop.

You want EVERY SINGLE SONG on the album to have some sort of deep meaning to it? Every album has it's singles, which is fluffer, your point is moot.

My opinion might suck, but yours is particularly bad.
Doesn't have to have a deep meaning.. Have some sort of meaning that isn't the same everytime.. This guy claims to be so anti-establishment, and so against and critical of his single driven songs, Why does he continue to make them?

Check my ratings the better songs are the more deep songs and even the songs that are not particularly deep but have a central idea that makes some sort of coherent unit called a song(No Love)...

Highly Talented Wakka Flocka means the guy (Em) has talent but is doing nothing different than what Wakka Flocka does.. Which is make something that sounds nice on a beat (crazy flow and rhyme scheme to match the beat. Not make the beat round out what he is saying)...Has no purpose, no inspiration, no life to it.. W.T.P. comes to mind..   

He is trying too hard to make people say "wow that was a crazy flow", instead of doing something natural where people say "wow that was a good song".  That's where he lost it.. He is no longer about the music, he is about the impression

--MMLP will always be his magnum opus.
--Goin through Changes is arguably the most solid song on Recovery.

roll.gif
roll.gif

Someone on my facebook has a status about finally listening to it and not liking a single song. Come on now... if you like Eminem at all how can you honestly say you don't like a single song? I realize the album as a whole isn't for EVERYONE but come on... after Encore and Relapse.. this album is WAY better than both of those.

I kinda feel I like this album better than MMLP, SSLP, and TES... but it's because it's a much more personal album and hit's close to home. It's hard to compare considering the subject matter overall is COMPLETELY different from MM/SSLP. I'll just have to see how this lasts the test of time... I loved TES when it dropped but can barely go back and listen to it now.

Part of what I'm loving to is the diversity in production... which gives the album as a whole a different feel from anything he's ever done.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--Goin through Changes is arguably the most solid song on Recovery.
Just found out he sampled Black Sabbath on that one.
I'm giving this album a listen, after i thought his career was over about 4 years ago. The chorus from "Space Bound" is
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom