Official DragonBall Z Thread. R.I.P Akira Toriyama. You will be missed

I don't follow mangas. Is that not the norm?

Aren't American Comics 22 pages and monthly?
the average manga chapter is around 20 or so pages but i think he’s just referring to the fact that other manga release weekly with the same amount and better quality and yet this is all DBS gives us

Wait, they release 20 pages weekly?

So something like Berserk was released weekly? Or Naruto? Or whatever passes for the hot manga today?

Wow. They stunting on their ex (America).

Berserk has some incredible art.

I can understand the frustration.

So when Toriyama-san did the old DBZ manga, was it weekly?

Wonder what the excuse is? No wonder it got behind the Anime.

Also any explanation on why some of the endings, etc were different?

Wonder what the excuse is? No wonder it got behind the Anime.

Also any explanation on why some of the endings, etc were different?
Dragon Ball became corporate fodder a long time ago

only reason new content exists is because it’s a money printing machine

i can understand Toriyama’s heart not being in it anymore but i’m disappointed that Toyotaro doesn’t have more free reign on the writing bc Dragon Ball AF had some cool ideas

Dragon Ball AF?

And is Toyotaro waiting on scripts/plots from Toriyama?
Dragon Ball AF was a fan manga Toyotaro was doing after GT ended in 2000

in 2012 Shueisha (the big corporate entity that owns Dragon Ball) hired him to draw the DBS manga and the rest is history

Toyotaro is also the standalone author of the Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission manga which is really good

as far as DBS is currently constructed, Toriyama does of majority of story boarding while Toyotaro draws and submits his input when he can but this is all about 90% still Toriyama’s writing

FB_IMG_1626047270745.jpg
Not a cannon design. Please refrain Trunks slander.

I looked up AF. It looks like there were multiple fan mangas...

I was able to find the Victory Mission. I'll probably look into that versus the others.

I don't follow mangas. Is that not the norm?

Aren't American Comics 22 pages and monthly?
Yes but in a general sense when compared American comic creators are just lazier than Asian creators.

There are differences though. In America, its usually one artist and one writer doing a book. In corporate comics, it's one writer and like anywhere from 3 to 5 (sometimes more) artists on a book in a year. Depends if the comic issues release monthly or twice a month (or more). Most artists don't do all the art. Usually only pencils and inks but sometimes a comic will have a separate inker on top of a different lettered and color artist. Sometimes if a comic is released 3 times a month or weekly (which is rare if you're not Spider-Man) they'll be more than one writer on it too.

In Japan specifically, Jump Shueisha release different comics/manga weekly and they're usually 20 pages. However, they're not in color (occasional colored covers) only pencils and inks. The creator usually does the writing and art. All mangaka (comic creators) have a staff that helps them to get the issues out weekly. They usually do the lettering, inking, the backgrounds, etc. A monthly manga usually has more pages every month (that's why I made that comment), anywhere from 40 to 60 pages depending on the creator.

I will add there have been complaints about how hard mangaka work due to illnesses and recent deaths of creators but the way the machine is over there its just expected they work that way. In America though, dudes

Last edited:
I just can't get into Super other than the Broly movie.

It lacks a sense of danger. All throughout Z there was a sense of dread, seriousness, and urgency.

Power scaling is all over the map and it's difficult for the viewer to relate to the sense of progression.

It lacks a sense of danger. All throughout Z there was a sense of dread, seriousness, and urgency.

Power scaling is all over the map and it's difficult for the viewer to relate to the sense of progression.
doesn’t help that it’s contemporaries are dunking all over it weekly either :lol:

Toriyama really didn't have to go straight to super Saiyan god when he restarted this again but I get he wanted to do something way different than GT.

The problem for me is the power levels have killed any sense of urgency from the villain worse than the usual Goku will save the day.

That's why better writing would be needed. Need to do more unexpected ****.

Its also hard cuz all you really want to focus on is Goku and when it comes to fights the only ppl reliable on that level is Goku and Vegeta and future Trunks for one of his random stories. Everybody else has been left in the dust (Piccolo, Gohan) or ignored (androids).

The tournament of power would've been a good chance to introduce new characters as the warriors of earth or from that universe. Instead we got the weak *** Tien, Krillin, etc.

Villains really aint hitting and don't think Toriyama got another well plotted and connected Saiyan/Frieza saga or even a call back Red Ribbon army/Android/Cell saga.

Back
Top Bottom