OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

I thought they were just launching new titles but apparently DC is ditching the New 52 brand after Convergence and Multiversity.

Reading Spider Verse right now

Pretty cool so far

I thought Marvel Unlimited was a good deal, but still ended up having to buy the spider verse comics separately anyway

Reading Spider Verse right now

Pretty cool so far

I thought Marvel Unlimited was a good deal, but still ended up having to buy the spider verse comics separately anyway

Yeah you have to wait a few months for stuff. I want to read Spider-Verse sooooo much

Read Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe last night. It was awesome. Spidey got what he deserved.

Superman Red Son, The Killing Joke, and Vol 3 Death of the Family on the way to my house.

Need some graphic novel and compendium recommendations pls.

I like darker stuff, and alternate storylines. Really liked Crossed.

Anything you can think of, post it here please.

Read Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe last night. It was awesome. Spidey got what he deserved.

Superman Red Son, The Killing Joke, and Vol 3 Death of the Family on the way to my house.

Need some graphic novel and compendium recommendations pls.

I like darker stuff, and alternate storylines. Really liked Crossed.

Anything you can think of, post it here please.

Superman Red Son is excellent, best Elseworld's Superman story out there in my opinion. Killing Joke is overblown in my opinion, but stil very good. Get Justice League New Frontier, Batman Vampire (My favorite Batman story of all time), Dark Knight Returns of course, and maybe Batman Gotham by Gaslight.

KingParappa KingParappa Minus the large body count of alternate spider-men, for no real reason other than shock value, Spider-Verse was excellent. Can't wait to get it all in Hardcover format.

How is everyone feeling about the upcoming events Convergence for DC & Secret Wars for Marvel?

Convergence: Seems like 2 months off from buying any DC books. I'll read the main series, but I'm not gonna invest time in any 2 part stories with no idea if the characters will be relevant again at the end, or simply sent away for a few more years.

Secret Wars: Real excited for the actual Secret Wars series. Hickman's Avengers has been cool, and Esad Ribic is easily one of my favorite artists in the game :pimp: . Not sure about all the limited series runs related to it though, I really don't know what to expect. Maybe someone else in here has a better idea of what Marvel is planning...

I'm gonna end up getting everything Secret Wars. Hasn't been a tie-in that turned me off from at least checking it out.

I already don't read any DC anymore since dropping Batwoman and Injustice. I will be trying out the MM book and a few other new ones they announced during and after Convergence. From reading stuff on sites, Convergence seems exactly like what you said, a 2 month break while DC moves to the west coast and reshuffles things staff wise.

Besides unlike DC, Marvel is hyping up a whole new Marvel universe after Secret Wars anyway :smokin

Last edited:
What I came home to and there is more waiting.

What I came home to and there is more waiting.

Skottie reposted this on twitter a while ago...pretty dope

Also don't know if you have any interest, but I copped an extra Young Spider-Verse poster when they dropped and never even opened the tube it was shipped in. Pretty sure they sold out real quick though. I'd be happy to hook you up, it's 24x36.

Thoughts? I have no problem its Joker what do you expect from him but the media world thinks different on the cover

Its a reference to the classic Killing Joke comic, widely considered to be one of the greatest Batman stories of all time, again referencing the events that actually happened. What's to dislike about it?

Its a reference to the classic Killing Joke comic, widely considered to be one of the greatest Batman stories of all time, again referencing the events that actually happened. What's to dislike about it?

Peopl say.

a. it contributes to comic books long history of marginalizing female characters and feti****ing violence against them.

b. the comic is aimed at a a younger female audience so it's inappropriate and tonally out of step.

c. given how few female characters with solo titles, and given comics history of treating women poorly it's sexist to show bat girl on a cover as a powerless victim. ect ect

Peopl say.

a. it contributes to comic books long history of marginalizing female characters and feti****ing violence against them.

b. the comic is aimed at a a younger female audience so it's inappropriate and tonally out of step.

c. given how few female characters with solo titles, and given comics history of treating women poorly it's sexist to show bat girl on a cover as a powerless victim. ect ect

Eh, the thing is that its again referencing an old event, which effected the Batman comics and the character of Batgirl for decades, and could even still be said to effect both now. (What's more, quite a few people came to like Barbara Gordon far more as Oracle than they ever did as Batgirl, so it had a positive effect in that way.)

b. I can understand. But it also requires no reference to then be made to the history between the two characters at all, I think.

c. Naah I don't see it as sexist, especially as there are far more covers in the grand scheme that'll portray her in a completely different way than this, and that applies to pretty much ever heroic character out there. Sometimes they'll win, sometimes they'll lose, and I see nothing wrong with showing that, or that the strongest heroes can still be powerless. (I do acknowledge however that there is a history of women being treated someone poorly in comics, but Batgirl's a character that's gotten beyond that for the most part, but the better option isn't to then make it so that she's perfect and can never be powerless. No one likes a character like that)

Eh, the thing is that its again referencing an old event, which effected the Batman comics and the character of Batgirl for decades, and could even still be said to effect both now. (What's more, quite a few people came to like Barbara Gordon far more as Oracle than they ever did as Batgirl, so it had a positive effect in that way.)

b. I can understand. But it also requires no reference to then be made to the history between the two characters at all, I think.

c. Naah I don't see it as sexist, especially as there are far more covers in the grand scheme that'll portray her in a completely different way than this, and that applies to pretty much ever heroic character out there. Sometimes they'll win, sometimes they'll lose, and I see nothing wrong with showing that, or that the strongest heroes can still be powerless. (I do acknowledge however that there is a history of women being treated someone poorly in comics, but Batgirl's a character that's gotten beyond that for the most part, but the better option isn't to then make it so that she's perfect and can never be powerless. No one likes a character like that)

I get what your saying, but I can also see it from the other side.

If you are women, and you read million stories, where violence against female characters are just used as props to make the main (male) character feel sad I get how you just be sick and tired of this even if it is in reference to an old event.

I remember reading Runawayas and...

the black character who was the leader, smart intelligent turns out to be villain.

after that happened I so annoyed that was happening to a black character you don't see a lot in comics and I just couldn't read it anymore.

am I saying the author is racist? nah, but I can say that my history of reading comics as a black person just made me have an extremely negative reaction to it. so i gotta respect other peoples feelings when that happens.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh Yeah I understand what you're saying as well. I think it helps if you're reading the Batgirl comic right now, where I personally think the character's being presented fairly well and strong. So then you have this cover come out that portrays her in a different way, and it definitely looks terrifying, but you take into account that 1)It's the Joker, who's routinely had Batman himself on the ropes, and 2)the fact that the character's again been presented as strong throughout the comic so far. So it makes for a situation where I can see this happening to the character, as Joker's a top tier villain, who could overcome her.

Yeah, but DC doesn't have a large body of strong female characters. I think Marvel's somewhat better with that though.

I guess the question is...is Babs being victimized on this cover in a way that is wildly dissimilar to covers of comics headlined by male counterparts when they are in shown to be in precarious situations?

When they are under the gun, do they still look heroic and resilient in their battered moments, where as Barbara looks frightened and victimized?

It's a question best answered by someone more steeped in the history of the medium, but definitely worth asking.

I see the cause for concern...but think that the response shouldn't be knee-jerk hysteria without proper evaluation or scrutiny.

Back
Top Bottom