OFFICIAL: BOSTON BRUINS 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS!!!

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

We'll forget the fact that Nathan Horton was playing in hockey purgatory for close to 10 years....

The more opportunity for him to grow into a star - or at least have better statistics. Yet he couldn't take advantage given what was expected of him to do.

We'll forget the fact that Nathan Horton was playing in hockey purgatory for close to 10 years....

The more opportunity for him to grow into a star - or at least have better statistics. Yet he couldn't take advantage given what was expected of him to do.

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by will068

A late hit by definition isn't clean. Compounded by the fact it was a airborne head shot (lateral-- yes, but it still was to the head) that knocked a player out of the series, a suspension was justified. Personally, I thought the Mike Murphy would hand out a 2 gamer, but he and the rest of the NHL brass are clearly a sending a message to players that this type of reckless behaviour is no longer acceptable in the NHL.

Also, I don't fully understand why Vancouver fans are complaining about how "unfair" and "tragic" it is that Aaron Rome will miss the rest of the SCF. In the old NHL, a Bruin would have a taken a run at the twins or Kesler.
New NHL or Old NHL, is a 3rd overall pick bust. Comparing him to the Sedins or Kesler ? Where's that Kiefer Sutherland "reaching" pic ?

- The guy never scored more than 62 pts in a season
- He's not even an all star.
- He's the 3rd overall pick in the 2003 draft, the deepest NHL draft in the last decade. He's like Darko having a fluke playoff season.
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

How is any of this relevant?

Horton is a productive member of the Bruins offense, and among the team's most skilled players (Personally, I'd rank him as the third most important forward on the team after Krjeci and Bergeron). Certainly, he has been one the Bruins best skaters this postseason. If the B's were to look for revenge, they would do so against a player of similar or higher value. Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, and even Burrows, then, are obvious targets.

But if you want to try to advance that argument, allow me to retort. If you'll recall, the Sedins and Kesler were likewise "busts" until rather recently. Kesler was considered a plug until last year when he broke out offensively (which, in your words, could still be considered a fluke), and the Sedins weren't productive AT ALL until after the lockout. Horton meanwhile was playing on a team full of tomato cans in Florida, and missed 15+ games twice in his first 6 seasons. Further, if (and given the Darko reference, I'm assuming that's a big IF) you followed Horton as a General, you'd understand why he was drafted third overall. Give him some time.

Oh, and for fun, let's compare playoff statlines:

HORTON, NATHAN:
[table][tr][td]Season[/td][td]      Team[/td][td]   GP[/td][td]  G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]   [/td][td] PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td] SH  [/td][td]GW [/td][td] S[/td][td]    S% [/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Bruins[/td] [td]21 [/td][td]   8 [/td][td] 9 [/td][td]17 [/td][td]  11 [/td][td]  35 [/td][td]    1 [/td][td]    0 [/td][td]  3 [/td][td] 52 [/td][td] 15.4
[/td][/tr][/table]
SEDIN, HENRIK:
[table][tr][td]Season   
[/td][td]   Team[/td][td]    GP[/td][td]  G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]  [/td][td]  PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td]  SH [/td][td]  GW [/td][td]  S[/td][td]  S%[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]22 [/td][td]  2 [/td][td]19 [/td][td]21 [/td][td]-6 [/td][td]    12 [/td][td]    1 [/td][td]   0 [/td][td]     1 [/td][td]   38 [/td][td] 5.3
[/td][/tr][/table]
SEDIN, DANIEL:
[table][tr][/tr][tr][td]Season   
[/td][td]  Team[/td][td]    GP[/td][td]   G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]    [/td][td]  PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td]  SH [/td][td]  GW [/td][td]  S[/td][td]  S%[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]22 [/td][td] 9 [/td][td] 9 [/td][td]18 [/td][td]-5 [/td][td]     22 [/td][td]    5 [/td][td]    0 [/td][td]     2 [/td][td]    88 [/td][td] 10.2
[/td][/tr][/table][/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
KESLER, RYAN:
[/td][td]  Team[/td][td]    GP[/td][td]  G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]  [/td][td]  PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td]  SH [/td][td]  GW [/td][td]  S[/td][td]  S%[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]22 [/td][td]  7 [/td][td] 12 [/td][td]19 [/td][td] 3 [/td][td]     43 [/td][td]    4 [/td][td]     0 [/td][td]    2 [/td][td]   68 [/td][td] 10.3[/td][/tr][/table]
Pretty even, wouldn't you say?

I never understood why the Canucks and their fans were hated so much around the NHL until this series.

Pretty even indeed. That was emphasized by me stating Horton having a fluke playoff season. Let me ask you this, do you think Horton is an All-World player like Chara ? Sedins: Yes, Kesler: getting there. Horton:
roll.gif

Kester - this is his 3rd year in a row as a Selke Nominee.
Sedins - Last year is when they became All-World Players. They were All-Stars before that.
Horton - uhhhh....he's had a good run this playoff season so far.

Given that he played in a crappy team for the majority of his NHL Career, you would think that he would have an exaggerated status (E.g. Phil Kessel for the Leafs ).

Overall, not at the same level, not even a tier below the Sedins or Kesler. Perhaps a few notches down. I would even rank Milan Lucic as a more valuable player than Horton.

A late hit by definition isn't clean. Compounded by the fact it was a airborne head shot (lateral-- yes, but it still was to the head) that knocked a player out of the series, a suspension was justified. Personally, I thought the Mike Murphy would hand out a 2 gamer, but he and the rest of the NHL brass are clearly a sending a message to players that this type of reckless behaviour is no longer acceptable in the NHL.

Also, I don't fully understand why Vancouver fans are complaining about how "unfair" and "tragic" it is that Aaron Rome will miss the rest of the SCF. In the old NHL, a Bruin would have a taken a run at the twins or Kesler.
New NHL or Old NHL, is a 3rd overall pick bust. Comparing him to the Sedins or Kesler ? Where's that Kiefer Sutherland "reaching" pic ?

- The guy never scored more than 62 pts in a season
- He's not even an all star.
- He's the 3rd overall pick in the 2003 draft, the deepest NHL draft in the last decade. He's like Darko having a fluke playoff season.
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

How is any of this relevant?

Horton is a productive member of the Bruins offense, and among the team's most skilled players (Personally, I'd rank him as the third most important forward on the team after Krjeci and Bergeron). Certainly, he has been one the Bruins best skaters this postseason. If the B's were to look for revenge, they would do so against a player of similar or higher value. Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, and even Burrows, then, are obvious targets.

But if you want to try to advance that argument, allow me to retort. If you'll recall, the Sedins and Kesler were likewise "busts" until rather recently. Kesler was considered a plug until last year when he broke out offensively (which, in your words, could still be considered a fluke), and the Sedins weren't productive AT ALL until after the lockout. Horton meanwhile was playing on a team full of tomato cans in Florida, and missed 15+ games twice in his first 6 seasons. Further, if (and given the Darko reference, I'm assuming that's a big IF) you followed Horton as a General, you'd understand why he was drafted third overall. Give him some time.

Oh, and for fun, let's compare playoff statlines:

HORTON, NATHAN:
[table][tr][td]Season[/td][td]      Team[/td][td]   GP[/td][td]  G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]   [/td][td] PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td] SH  [/td][td]GW [/td][td] S[/td][td]    S% [/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Bruins[/td] [td]21 [/td][td]   8 [/td][td] 9 [/td][td]17 [/td][td]  11 [/td][td]  35 [/td][td]    1 [/td][td]    0 [/td][td]  3 [/td][td] 52 [/td][td] 15.4
[/td][/tr][/table]
SEDIN, HENRIK:
[table][tr][td]Season   
[/td][td]   Team[/td][td]    GP[/td][td]  G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]  [/td][td]  PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td]  SH [/td][td]  GW [/td][td]  S[/td][td]  S%[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]22 [/td][td]  2 [/td][td]19 [/td][td]21 [/td][td]-6 [/td][td]    12 [/td][td]    1 [/td][td]   0 [/td][td]     1 [/td][td]   38 [/td][td] 5.3
[/td][/tr][/table]
SEDIN, DANIEL:
[/td][td]  Team[/td][td]    GP[/td][td]   G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]    [/td][td]  PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td]  SH [/td][td]  GW [/td][td]  S[/td][td]  S%[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]22 [/td][td] 9 [/td][td] 9 [/td][td]18 [/td][td]-5 [/td][td]     22 [/td][td]    5 [/td][td]    0 [/td][td]     2 [/td][td]    88 [/td][td] 10.2
[/td][/tr][/table][/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
KESLER, RYAN:
[/td][td]  Team[/td][td]    GP[/td][td]  G[/td][td]  A [/td][td]  P [/td][td]  [/td][td]  PIM [/td][td]  PP [/td][td]  SH [/td][td]  GW [/td][td]  S[/td][td]  S%[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2010-2011[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]22 [/td][td]  7 [/td][td] 12 [/td][td]19 [/td][td] 3 [/td][td]     43 [/td][td]    4 [/td][td]     0 [/td][td]    2 [/td][td]   68 [/td][td] 10.3[/td][/tr][/table]
Pretty even, wouldn't you say?

I never understood why the Canucks and their fans were hated so much around the NHL until this series.

Pretty even indeed. That was emphasized by me stating Horton having a fluke playoff season. Let me ask you this, do you think Horton is an All-World player like Chara ? Sedins: Yes, Kesler: getting there. Horton:
roll.gif

Kester - this is his 3rd year in a row as a Selke Nominee.
Sedins - Last year is when they became All-World Players. They were All-Stars before that.
Horton - uhhhh....he's had a good run this playoff season so far.

Given that he played in a crappy team for the majority of his NHL Career, you would think that he would have an exaggerated status (E.g. Phil Kessel for the Leafs ).

Overall, not at the same level, not even a tier below the Sedins or Kesler. Perhaps a few notches down. I would even rank Milan Lucic as a more valuable player than Horton.

Grow into a star.......have better stats....IN FLORIDA???? 
laugh.gif
  You're kidding, right?  That franchise is a joke.  They haven't been $!%# since their "rats on ice" run in the SC finals back in the mid-90's. 

Horton had NOTHING around him. 

Grow into a star.......have better stats....IN FLORIDA???? 
laugh.gif
  You're kidding, right?  That franchise is a joke.  They haven't been $!%# since their "rats on ice" run in the SC finals back in the mid-90's. 

Horton had NOTHING around him. 

Although I'm a die-hard Canucks fan, it's not even close that the Canucks "won" in the trade between Horton and Rome. Horton has played great these playoffs -- that's without question. And I've bit my tongue but Rome absolutely deserved a 4 game suspension. And just because it doesn't match the precedents set by earlier suspension this year doesn't mean much. You shouldn't follow the lead of Campbell. Dude was atrocious in his rulings. This was a fair decision.

Although I'm a die-hard Canucks fan, it's not even close that the Canucks "won" in the trade between Horton and Rome. Horton has played great these playoffs -- that's without question. And I've bit my tongue but Rome absolutely deserved a 4 game suspension. And just because it doesn't match the precedents set by earlier suspension this year doesn't mean much. You shouldn't follow the lead of Campbell. Dude was atrocious in his rulings. This was a fair decision.

Originally Posted by Wongtouski

That was a late clean hit, I'm pissed about the 4 game suspension but then when I look at who got suspended, I'm not so mad anymore. Why? Because its Aaron Rome.

That is where you're wrong. The legality of the hit and the timing of a hit are two different things. The hit was not anything we have not seen before, it's just the fact that Horton was not looking at all, and the shoulder pads of today are different from the ones Scott Stevens wore. Still, I agree with you that 2 games was sufficient, and in all honestly Canucks fans have Rome to blame for igniting the entire Boston team into playing a supremely physical game. The result of this is us getting punked by scrubs like Marchand and not mentally prepared to respond appropriately. The 'nucks now need to get their heads screwed on straight.
In other news, I've read from another forum that one of the guys on that forum watched gm 4 with Hamhuis' relatives and friends, they say he needs surgery on his groin. Obviously this is from a dude in a forum so I wouldn't trust it. But still, gets you worried.

That was a late clean hit, I'm pissed about the 4 game suspension but then when I look at who got suspended, I'm not so mad anymore. Why? Because its Aaron Rome.

That is where you're wrong. The legality of the hit and the timing of a hit are two different things. The hit was not anything we have not seen before, it's just the fact that Horton was not looking at all, and the shoulder pads of today are different from the ones Scott Stevens wore. Still, I agree with you that 2 games was sufficient, and in all honestly Canucks fans have Rome to blame for igniting the entire Boston team into playing a supremely physical game. The result of this is us getting punked by scrubs like Marchand and not mentally prepared to respond appropriately. The 'nucks now need to get their heads screwed on straight.
In other news, I've read from another forum that one of the guys on that forum watched gm 4 with Hamhuis' relatives and friends, they say he needs surgery on his groin. Obviously this is from a dude in a forum so I wouldn't trust it. But still, gets you worried.

big game tonight
pimp.gif

in NYC for the weekend...will be at my old boston bar watching the game tonight. good to be back
laugh.gif

big game tonight
pimp.gif

in NYC for the weekend...will be at my old boston bar watching the game tonight. good to be back
laugh.gif

Perhaps I should rephrase: A late hit by definition isn't legal.

Certainly, though, it was an unnecessary check.

Perhaps I should rephrase: A late hit by definition isn't legal.

Certainly, though, it was an unnecessary check.

Tanev in
pimp.gif

Torres needs to control his energy, love the way he plays but he's taking way too many penalties.

Tanev in
pimp.gif

Torres needs to control his energy, love the way he plays but he's taking way too many penalties.

Back
Top Bottom