Official BBQ thread

Lets see those birds if anyone in here is doing it up for thanksgiving

been practicing with chicken and was gonna try a turkey today but it’s 45° and raining all day so figured nows not the best day to try :lol:

Lets see those birds if anyone in here is doing it up for thanksgiving

been practicing with chicken and was gonna try a turkey today but it’s 45° and raining all day so figured nows not the best day to try :lol:

CF62CE7F-53DD-4B46-B644-B43C0342BE71.jpeg

Ask and you shall receive, my man...

How do you get that golden brown color when smoking? Is it basting with butter ? The type of wood, amount of smoke ? Temp
Mine always come out more of a darker mahogany
C3FDE9CD-6DE4-46DD-A49C-AD90D9CF062C.png
DBBED7DC-CC4A-47E2-B219-E1D5C16FE818.png

How do you get that golden brown color when smoking? Is it basting with butter ? The type of wood, amount of smoke ? Temp
Mine always come out more of a darker mahogany
C3FDE9CD-6DE4-46DD-A49C-AD90D9CF062C.png
DBBED7DC-CC4A-47E2-B219-E1D5C16FE818.png

The recipe i followed had me spray my turkey with butter every hour and half. That could have been it.

Basting probably helps. May also depends what's in your rub, if it's high in sugar than it might end up darker

Malcolm smoked that on a Traeger too so he had an even temp throughout and cooked it hot and fast like a roast basically

I just give a coating of olive oil and with time it gets a little dark - then for the last 30 minutes I crack the lid and that darkens it quite a bit - you have to be careful though.

You’ll never get really crispy skin smoking so I don’t worry too much. It’s nice to have good presentation though.

Doing my first full brisket for Christmas. Just arrived and it looks great.
Bit nervous though - I’m going to get it on at 3am and that should work - it’ll stay warm in a cooler for plenty of time so I’d rather be done early - I see times varying between 6 and 8 hours on the PBC.
Getting one of those Meater thermometers from my wife which looks really cool - but I won’t have it until after I’m done!

Brisket is looking good - and going exactly as planned so far.

Lit a chimney at 2 - new premium briquettes that seem really good and mixed in some lump. In smoker at 2:30, left to stabilise for a bit then brisket on at 3:00 and went to bed - with an alarm on my thermometer just in case the fire dropped (which I was confident it wouldn’t as it was a full basket going well).

I checked at 7am and it was looking good. Left a bit longer to get this.

977437B3-8F42-4A10-A800-758F44E24C9A.jpeg

It’s now back in the heat wrapped in foil with some beef broth. Couple more hours I think - but I’m right on schedule for a decent rest in a cooler.

Plus no-one is up so I’m watching The Great Escape in peace!

8B7C9462-B544-49A3-8DF4-23585C3B34E0.jpeg
D395535A-727F-412F-936F-26A033E4FAAD.jpeg
worked over 100 hours this week at my butcher shop. Still managed to smoke a brisket last night and twist up some of my famous sausage.
excuse the ruined bark i pull the brisket this morning at 6 and let it rest way to long inside the butxher paperwhile i caught up on sleep. Stilltastes amazing.

Back
Top Bottom